Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Diesel Engine Longevity #8595696 05/11/22 07:33 PM
H
Hudbone Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
H
Bought mine in 2014. It's my plan to drive it until the wheels fall off. Have about 140,000 miles on it. Check engine light came on two Sundays ago. Got it to the dealership at 6:55 Monday morning. Looked it up on the compooper and was told it was under warranty. Without an extended warranty, that caught me off guard, but who is to argue? Phone call later that morning indicated they would order the part, get it in Wednesday and I would be notified later on that day when ready.

No notification on Wednesday. No response to my text 10 AM Thursday. Got over there after lunch same day. Was told part not available locally and get this, no part available in the entire US of A. Was told they don't always rely on what the compooper shows and would get back with me on Monday. I was fishing, but got nothing Monday nor Tuesday. Went by there this AM where I was informed they do not have this part in the "pipeline" and did not know when it was going to come in. A copus (whatever that is) was filed with Ford and that is all they can do for now.

The engine is strong and I just love the truck, but that there there DEF exhaust system is an issue. Especially when you can't drive your dang truck because the particulate filter is malfunctioning and there are none to be had. It's like there they are, gone again.

Re: Diesel Engine Longevity [Re: Hudbone] #8595703 05/11/22 07:39 PM
68rustbucket Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Had the same issue with my 2014, and right about the same mileage. Spent a bunch on maintenance, planned on driving for at least another year, then emissions issues. Got it back after 3 weeks in the shop, drove to another dealer and traded it in on a ‘19 model. Service writer kept pushing for me to delete the emissions system, I just didn’t want to go that route again.

Re: Diesel Engine Longevity [Re: Hudbone] #8595711 05/11/22 07:49 PM
skinnerback Online Content
THF Celebrity Chef
Online Content
THF Celebrity Chef
Originally Posted by Hudbone
Bought mine in 2014. It's my plan to drive it until the wheels fall off. Have about 140,000 miles on it. Check engine light came on two Sundays ago. Got it to the dealership at 6:55 Monday morning. Looked it up on the compooper and was told it was under warranty. Without an extended warranty, that caught me off guard, but who is to argue? Phone call later that morning indicated they would order the part, get it in Wednesday and I would be notified later on that day when ready.

No notification on Wednesday. No response to my text 10 AM Thursday. Got over there after lunch same day. Was told part not available locally and get this, no part available in the entire US of A. Was told they don't always rely on what the compooper shows and would get back with me on Monday. I was fishing, but got nothing Monday nor Tuesday. Went by there this AM where I was informed they do not have this part in the "pipeline" and did not know when it was going to come in. A copus (whatever that is) was filed with Ford and that is all they can do for now.

The engine is strong and I just love the truck, but that there there DEF exhaust system is an issue. Especially when you can't drive your dang truck because the particulate filter is malfunctioning and there are none to be had. It's like there they are, gone again.

Delete it. No more expensive issues, big difference in performance, and better fuel mileage.

I love my truck. Mine's a 2015 with 114,000 miles and the engine light just came on. I too, am planning on driving this thing til' the wheels fall off. Haven't had it checked yet but if it's the emissions system, she gone.

Re: Diesel Engine Longevity [Re: skinnerback] #8595750 05/11/22 08:52 PM
I
ILUVBIGBUCKS Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
I
Originally Posted by skinnerback

Delete it. No more expensive issues, big difference in performance, and better fuel mileage.

I love my truck. Mine's a 2015 with 114,000 miles and the engine light just came on. I too, am planning on driving this thing til' the wheels fall off. Haven't had it checked yet but if it's the emissions system, she gone.

Agree completely

If you are going to keep it then I also would think deleting it is the way to go.
You will probably see a return on the investment if you do keep the truck a long time just in the performance and fuel savings. Most I've talked to said they got 2-3 mpg better after gutting them out.

High fence, low fence, no fence, it really doesn't matter as long as you're hunting!
Re: Diesel Engine Longevity [Re: Hudbone] #8595754 05/11/22 08:57 PM
68rustbucket Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
I agree with the longevity after deleting. But finding somebody to work on it, say when you are traveling, could be an issue. Not to mention EPA issues, they are cracking down more these days.

Re: Diesel Engine Longevity [Re: ILUVBIGBUCKS] #8595756 05/11/22 09:04 PM
THF Celebrity Chef
Online Content
THF Celebrity Chef
Originally Posted by ILUVBIGBUCKS

Agree completely

If you are going to keep it then I also would think deleting it is the way to go.
You will probably see a return on the investment if you do keep the truck a long time just in the performance and fuel savings. Most I've talked to said they got 2-3 mpg better after gutting them out.

BIL has almost the same truck as me. He started having trouble with the emissions system and started pouring money into repairs. First sensor when out, paid $800 for a new one and replaced himself (this was before everything was so expensive and hard to find). Replaced it, the next week another sensor went out (same price). He said screw it, spent $1,000 and deleted it. Night and day difference, wished he would have done it sooner. Most places don't care about emissions when doing vehicle inspections in small town America. I know LOTS of colleagues with deleted trucks that never have any issues. I hear it's a different story in the metro mess though. Just don't be a DB, put your tuner on Performance, and "roll coal" lol.

Re: Diesel Engine Longevity [Re: Hudbone] #8595758 05/11/22 09:07 PM
Ol Thumper Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
Delete it and save yourself a lot of trouble down the road, I delete them the day I drive them off the lot and have never had an issue. The EPA is “Always” going to be cracking down so I don’t even consider that a concern. I’ve had them in the shop for repairs from here to Florida and not a single shop has mentioned it other than to say we can’t warranty your exhaust,, duh I didn’t figure as much. The oil comes out at 5,000 miles looking good after deleting it where one with the crap on it looks like black syrup. It doesn’t take a genius to figure out all that mess is nothing but a scam. I keep all mine of the stock tune and have never attempted to get the added horsepower so they don’t roll coal or destroy transmissions but they will run pretty much forever removing that junk.

I sold the exhaust off a new 5500 2 weeks ago and it pretty much paid for the parts and electronics to delete it so I felt like a winner woot

Last edited by Ol Thumper; 05/11/22 09:08 PM.
Re: Diesel Engine Longevity [Re: 68rustbucket] #8595761 05/11/22 09:09 PM
THF Celebrity Chef
Online Content
THF Celebrity Chef
Originally Posted by 68rustbucket
I agree with the longevity after deleting. But finding somebody to work on it, say when you are traveling, could be an issue. Not to mention EPA issues, they are cracking down more these days.

The EPA can

[Linked Image]

grin

Re: Diesel Engine Longevity [Re: skinnerback] #8595766 05/11/22 09:15 PM
Ol Thumper Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter

The EPA can

[Linked Image]

grin

My Man,,, I knew I loved you for a reason roflmao

Re: Diesel Engine Longevity [Re: skinnerback] #8595767 05/11/22 09:16 PM
J.G. Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity

^^This

And it is usually cheaper than the cost to fix the stupid emissions system.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Precision Rifle Instruction
Memberships and Classes Available
Re: Diesel Engine Longevity [Re: Ol Thumper] #8595768 05/11/22 09:17 PM
THF Celebrity Chef
Online Content
THF Celebrity Chef
Originally Posted by Ol Thumper

The EPA can

[Linked Image]

grin

and they can keep their stupid [censored] gas cans too.... grin cheers

Re: Diesel Engine Longevity [Re: skinnerback] #8595769 05/11/22 09:18 PM
TCM3 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by Ol Thumper

The EPA can

[Linked Image]

grin

and they can keep their stupid [censored] gas cans too.... grin cheers

flag salute

Do not forget to entertain strangers, For by so doing some have unwittingly entertained angels
Hebrews 13:2
(R-TX)
Re: Diesel Engine Longevity [Re: Hudbone] #8595774 05/11/22 09:25 PM
B
BigPig Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
B
If you can get to McKinney I’ve got a guy that will delete and tune it for $1250.

My 2014 has 182,000 miles, it’s been deleted since 99,500 miles and has given ZERO issues.

Re: Diesel Engine Longevity [Re: Hudbone] #8595789 05/11/22 09:46 PM
T
txtrophy85 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
It’s only an issue if you plan to trade it in….mainstream dealers will deny them or charge you to re-install the DEF

But if your keeping it, delete it

For it is not the quarry that we truly seek, but the adventure.
Re: Diesel Engine Longevity [Re: Hudbone] #8595791 05/11/22 09:57 PM
bigbob_ftw Offline
Big Sprocket Bob
Big Sprocket Bob
Deleting should be illegal. Why should diesels get a pass? I don't get one on my gasser.

[Linked Image]

Ultra MAGA '24.
Re: Diesel Engine Longevity [Re: txtrophy85] #8595792 05/11/22 10:00 PM
J.G. Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by txtrophy85
It’s only an issue if you plan to trade it in….mainstream dealers will deny them or charge you to re-install the DEF

But if your keeping it, delete it

I have never traded one it. First attempt, they royally pissed me off.

Sold two trucks to individuals. And I know there are people put there intentionally looking for deleted diesels.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Re: Diesel Engine Longevity [Re: bigbob_ftw] #8595793 05/11/22 10:01 PM
J.G. Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by bigbob_ftw
Deleting should be illegal. Why should diesels get a pass? I don't get one on my gasser.

It is illegal. A whole lot of people do not care.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Re: Diesel Engine Longevity [Re: J.G.] #8595795 05/11/22 10:04 PM
bigbob_ftw Offline
Big Sprocket Bob
Big Sprocket Bob
Originally Posted by FiremanJG

How do they pass inspection?

[Linked Image]

Ultra MAGA '24.
Re: Diesel Engine Longevity [Re: bigbob_ftw] #8595796 05/11/22 10:07 PM
D
Daddybigbuck Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
D

My understanding is 3/4 ton trucks and up do not have to pass an emissions test.

Re: Diesel Engine Longevity [Re: J.G.] #8595798 05/11/22 10:12 PM
THF Celebrity Chef
Online Content
THF Celebrity Chef

That's right. It's also "illegal" to bypass emission system components on a gasser, but I've damn sure bypassed several EGR valves when they started acting up on older model gassers I've had in the past. Besides that, the only other emissions related components I've had to replace on gassers were 02 sensors and they are cheap. Emissions systems on gassers are totally different than on diesels. Diesel emission systems are built to cause all sorts of problems down the road, and they are all expensive.

Re: Diesel Engine Longevity [Re: bigbob_ftw] #8595799 05/11/22 10:12 PM
D
Deans Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
D

There is no emission test on diesels. Even a check engine light does not affect state inspection. Diesel p/u are safety check only.

“Fear thou not; for I am with thee: be not dismayed; for I am thy God: I will strengthen thee; yea, I will help thee; yea, I will uphold thee with the right hand of my righteousness.”
ISAIAH 41:10
Re: Diesel Engine Longevity [Re: Hudbone] #8595802 05/11/22 10:17 PM
bigbob_ftw Offline
Big Sprocket Bob
Big Sprocket Bob
Learn something new every day. bang

[Linked Image]

Ultra MAGA '24.
Re: Diesel Engine Longevity [Re: bigbob_ftw] #8595806 05/11/22 10:18 PM
D
don k Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D

Are you a lib?

Re: Diesel Engine Longevity [Re: don k] #8595808 05/11/22 10:19 PM
THF Celebrity Chef
Online Content
THF Celebrity Chef
Originally Posted by don k

Are you a lib?

No, he's just from Oklahoma. grin

Re: Diesel Engine Longevity [Re: bigbob_ftw] #8595809 05/11/22 10:20 PM
Ol Thumper Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter

That sounds almost like a personal problem for not buying a diesel LOL.. It’s illegal to speed as well but I bet you’ve been guilty of that at some point in the last 24 hours roflmao On a serious note a gas and diesel are totally different beasts, removing it off a gasser doesn’t do a whole lot for the most part but on a diesel it’s like gaining 2 more lungs and your turds are allowed to flow out freely without passing through your blood supply first.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide