Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Deer Farming [Re: Buzzsaw] #8595741 05/11/22 08:33 PM
H
Hudbone Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
H
" That’s like saying I don’t like orange sherbet having never tasted it but the color looks funny and the name sounds weird so I don’t like it."

Lovey it when people use nickel words to vibrantly express a sentiment.

Re: Deer Farming [Re: Old Rabbit] #8595836 05/11/22 10:43 PM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted by Old Rabbit
Originally Posted by txtrophy85
Originally Posted by Old Rabbit
txtrophy85
The height of the fence has little to do with any of the above mentioned with the exception of getting shot by neighbors. The animals are still subject to the effects of food sources, water sources, human interaction, etc.

Unfortunately, and I mourn this loss to some extent, we are in 2022 not 1950 anymore. We have many more game animals now than then but we also have technology and techniques used today to greatly Maximize any efforts out afield.

Look at our hunting equipment for example; we now have rifles that can shoot reliably and accurately at 700 yards, muzzleloaders that can shoot to 300 yards and bows that will shoot 100. And you will never under or over estimate the range because we have laser rangefinders.

This has as much to do with “the bastardization” of the sport of hunting as much as anything else, but are now commonly accepted.

The problem that many of you have with the current state of hunting has little to do with fence height

I can agree with most of what you typed about the high fence except the "Little To Do" part. If I apply too much pressure to a certain buck, or the rut makes him want to travel, then said deer can go miles away. With a high fence, the deers travel is locked down to a few hundred or thousand acres. They are not free to travel 4 or 5 miles or swim across the river. Also on high fence you can more easily regulate population density and buck to doe ratio. To each their own, I am more of a meat hunter but have several nice bucks mounted in my shop that were taken over 35 years ago. One of them that was hunted with hounds in Louisiana. That is still legal there in certain seasons and used to be legal in Texas many years ago. Times and laws change, sometimes for the better and sometimes for the worse.

I own a small low fence property, that I love being low fence. I see the same bucks all season long. Rut, human activity, etc. they are still around because I give them food and water.

Very, very few deer nowadays travel far because they don’t have to. In Texas they are not moving 3-4 miles to a harvested corn field. They don’t have to wander half the county to find a hot doe. Some don’t have a home range of more than a hundred or so acres.

So I’ll concede that a fence will restrict movement, but it’s not to say the deer would have ever left the place if it was low fence….in a lot of cases probably not. You certainly can manage for tighter ratios and herd numbers, that is the main benefit of a high fence.

I want folks to understand the facts about the average high fence place and breeding operations and form an educated opinion on them rather than rely on feelings and knee jerk reactions to heresy and photo images and opinions of others. I’m not trying to sell others on the acceptance of a HF just to understand what really is the case, it’s proven that a lot of people who are against them have never been on one. That’s like saying I don’t like orange sherbet having never tasted it but the color looks funny and the name sounds weird so I don’t like it

It looks you are near Boerne, Tx and that may be the way the deer down there act. But in our part of the Piney Woods of East Texas they like to roam around. Years ago, I had a split main beam on camera and a few weeks later it was killed 2.6 miles (per Google Earth) away. It was chasing a hot doe that ran in front of a truck doing a safety patrol on the perimeter of where I worked. The person driving rolled up to where the do crossed the road and stopped to look at her. Then his truck got hit by the buck running wide open and broke its neck.
I live right at 5 miles North of where we hunt and have some of the same bucks on camera in my back yard as I do on my cameras in the river bottoms.
I also don't have any problem with anyone wanting to hunt HF or any other way that is legal. [/quote]

I bought a charity hunt on Temple Inland’s boggy slough. 5 days of struggle hunting for 6 of us. They where trying hard. We saw two mature deer between the 6 of us. This was over thanksgiving and should of been prime hunting but was hot hot hot. We killed a 4.5 year old 125 8pt, and I killed at doe off a clear cut at roughly 400 yards. All High Fence. 14k acres plus with several deer tracking/collar studies done. Interesting ranch

5miles is only 3200 acres. It’s rare in most parts assuming that agriculture and human intervention doesn’t mandate those longer corridors. But doesn’t take to much ag to make those deer have to travel for cover.

There are always exceptions, we can always find them but sometimes we don’t do good job of defining or thinking about why it’s an exception

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: Deer Farming [Re: Hudbone] #8595938 05/12/22 01:13 AM
F
freerange Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Originally Posted by Hudbone
" That’s like saying I don’t like orange sherbet having never tasted it but the color looks funny and the name sounds weird so I don’t like it."

I like to use "nickel" words cause I never learned the more expensive words.
Ive been outa pocket a week so I havent taken the time to delve into this thread and Im still not. Ill just say theres a big difference between "deer farming" and "HF hunting". I can see how HF got drug into this, but its really a separate issue.

At some point in life its time to quit chasing the pot of gold and just enjoy the rainbow. FR
Keep your gratitude higher than your expectations. RWH
Re: Deer Farming [Re: freerange] #8595989 05/12/22 02:18 AM
B
Biscuit Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
B
Originally Posted by freerange
Originally Posted by Hudbone

I like to use "nickel" words cause I never learned the more expensive words.
Ive been outa pocket a week so I havent taken the time to delve into this thread and Im still not. Ill just say theres a big difference between "deer farming" and "HF hunting". I can see how HF got drug into this, but its really a separate issue.

Freerange, I agree completely. I’ve hunted HF places that I never saw the fence once I drove through it . If you dropped me in the middl of the property I would have never known it had a fence.

Re: Deer Farming [Re: Buzzsaw] #8597280 05/13/22 11:34 PM
Q
QMC SW/EXW Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
Q
Deer Farming should be outlawed. Deer are a native free ranging type of wildlife, they are not livestock. This sort of thing does not bode well for the future of hunting. Just my opinion mind you, feel free to disagree but you're clueless if you think anti-hunters won't use this against us.

Retired Navy Chief
NJROTC Instructor for Tascosa High School
Re: Deer Farming [Re: QMC SW/EXW] #8597323 05/14/22 12:21 AM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted by QMC SW/EXW
Deer Farming should be outlawed. Deer are a native free ranging type of wildlife, they are not livestock. This sort of thing does not bode well for the future of hunting. Just my opinion mind you, feel free to disagree but you're clueless if you think anti-hunters won't use this against us.

On the list of things they will use, private property rights that’s saved hundreds of species in NA, fence height is on the lower end as its easier to defend. Tule elk and Rocky, Desert sheep, etc all have had extensive re-habitation through private property and fencing. Not counting African and Indian species

Anti hunting movement doesn’t care about a view of sporting they cared you killed an animal with something other then your credit card at McDonalds or Central Market.

Bear and predator hunting has a worse view then private property rights as it’s more under attack then private fence height. There was 7 ballet introduction initiatives across the US to reduce or stop bear or predator hunting all tougher last year

I’ve never been a big breeder guy as the industry could go a way and I could care less but it’s a private property right and a tried and true conservation tool, as far as anti’s I think it’s a bigger measuring contest amongst us then any thing

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: Deer Farming [Re: QMC SW/EXW] #8597326 05/14/22 12:28 AM
T
txtrophy85 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by QMC SW/EXW

Anti hunters use anything they can against hunting. No matter what.

That’s why they are anti-hunting.

Goal is to try and convert the non-hunters not the anti-hunters

For it is not the quarry that we truly seek, but the adventure.
Re: Deer Farming [Re: Buzzsaw] #8603643 05/23/22 09:02 PM
Texas452 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
I don’t have anything against deer farming.
I don’t like the antlers that Keith Warren shows on his tv show.
There are some exceptions, but that’s not natural.
I hate the way their heads wobble.
This is me, if someone likes it, power to them.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide