Page 1 of 2 1 2
Draw weight #8594152 05/09/22 04:23 AM
T
trapperben Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
T
Thinking of taking up traditional bow hunting mostly to gain access to some public hunting areas. Reading about it most who hunt without sites consider 20 yards a gppd maximum range. I think a 30 lb draw weight would be easier to practice with and probably would be adequate at that range. Those who know agree or disagree? I am 74 so draw weight could be an issue though I have a compound bow set at 42 and can draw it ok. I just don't want to use it.

Re: Draw weight [Re: trapperben] #8594158 05/09/22 04:38 AM
pertnear Online Content
"Demolition Man"
Online Content
"Demolition Man"
I don't know your shooting technique but a 30 lb draw weight is a bit too low to get any sufficient penetration on deer except for perfect circumstances. Most of the traditional bowhunters I know, both recurve & longbow, actually aim before they release. They can draw a heavier weight because they draw & release the moment the nock touches their cheek. They don't have to hold a lot of weight, just release a lot of weight. This is all achieved with practice & muscle build/memory. So short answer, technique determines draw weight. I hope this is helpful, but someone who actually shoots this way would be a great mentor to find.

"Who controls the past controls the future. Who controls the present controls the past.” - George Orwell
Re: Draw weight [Re: trapperben] #8594166 05/09/22 05:14 AM
Sniper John Online Happy
gumshoe
Online Happy
gumshoe
I would recommend at least a 40lb draw, 25 yards, and use cut on contact broadheads. Texas does not have a minimum required draw weight, but at one time I think the regulations said 40lb. You probably already know, but just in case, you should not use mechanical broadheads with that low of a draw weight.

Re: Draw weight [Re: trapperben] #8594168 05/09/22 05:57 AM
T
trapperben Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
T
thanks. I may get a cheap lighter draw bow to practice with to test and move to a hunting bow later. I have been told that to much practice with heavier for age say draw weights can cause injury and that would be the last thing I want since I just want to have more opportunity.

Re: Draw weight [Re: trapperben] #8594216 05/09/22 11:45 AM
P
PrimitiveHunter Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
I’m 67. I started shooting compounds in the 60-65 pound range in my 20s. By the time I hit my 50s, my shoulder couldn’t take it any more so I picked up traditional. I’ve ended up with a 68” longbow that draws 88lbs at my draw length. That sounds like a ridiculous draw weight but for me, it’s much easier to shoot than a 60lb compound. My draw and release take around 2-3 seconds. The instant my thumb touches the corner of my mouth, the arrow is on its way. I’m not saying you should shoot that much, only that a longbow is much easier to shoot. I shot recurves for several years but again, to me, they don’t draw as easily and have more shock at release. See if you can find a shop that will let you shoot (not just draw) different weights before you buy.

Practice doesn’t make perfect.
Practice makes permanent.
Re: Draw weight [Re: trapperben] #8594439 05/09/22 05:04 PM
T
trapperben Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
T
88 lbs is incredible. Bow shops in Lubbock are limited to Academy, Cabelas Outpost and a shop specializing in Mission crossbows, I pretty much decided on a longbow for the reasons you stated but I may try a higher draw weight even if it limits practice some. I have mostly looked on 3Rivers site and if I proceed further I probably will talk to them.

Re: Draw weight [Re: trapperben] #8594514 05/09/22 07:39 PM
T
txtrophy85 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by trapperben
88 lbs is incredible. Bow shops in Lubbock are limited to Academy, Cabelas Outpost and a shop specializing in Mission crossbows, I pretty much decided on a longbow for the reasons you stated but I may try a higher draw weight even if it limits practice some. I have mostly looked on 3Rivers site and if I proceed further I probably will talk to them.

3 rivers archery is a great source of knowledge.

I picked up Traditional Archery last year and love it. with a Trad bow, 20 yards is a ways and although i can shoot further, the animal may not be there when the arrow arrives. I missed 6 times last season from 12-18 yards. My ideal shot is right around 15 yards.

30 lbs is doable but I would recommend at least a 40 lb bow....preferably a 45. Drawing a trad bow is different than a compound and you use different muscles. Drawing a 45 lb bow shouldn't be very difficult for most adults. Go find a shop with a decent selection and try before you buy

For it is not the quarry that we truly seek, but the adventure.
Re: Draw weight [Re: txtrophy85] #8594541 05/09/22 09:06 PM
P
PrimitiveHunter Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
Originally Posted by txtrophy85

3 rivers archery is a great source of knowledge.

I picked up Traditional Archery last year and love it. with a Trad bow, 20 yards is a ways and although i can shoot further, the animal may not be there when the arrow arrives. I missed 6 times last season from 12-18 yards. My ideal shot is right around 15 yards.

30 lbs is doable but I would recommend at least a 40 lb bow....preferably a 45. Drawing a trad bow is different than a compound and you use different muscles. Drawing a 45 lb bow shouldn't be very difficult for most adults. Go find a shop with a decent selection and try before you buy

I never take a shot on an animal over 20 yards or so even when I was shoot a compound and shooting 3D almost every weekend (sometimes Sat and Sun) from January to September. He closed the course in September because it’s where he deer hunted. But, I practice at unknown ranges for ~10 yards out to about ~40 yards with my longbow.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: Draw weight [Re: trapperben] #8594579 05/09/22 10:31 PM
T
trapperben Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
T
I am thinking based on what you two said getting a 50lb, I have several monthes to build up muscle and memory. I appreciate your advice very much btw.

Bear sells a kit through 3rivers reasonably priced, I also liked the apache based on their writeup. Bear is a well known name assume they have good products.

Re: Draw weight [Re: trapperben] #8594582 05/09/22 10:44 PM
P
PrimitiveHunter Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
I am thinking based on what you two said getting a 50lb, I have several monthes to build up muscle and memory. I appreciate your advice very much btw.

Bear sells a kit through 3rivers reasonably priced, I also liked the apache based on their writeup. Bear is a well known name assume they have good products.

I bought 3 recurves in pawn shops for $20-$30 each. Pawn shops can’t hardly get rid of them so prices are low. That was about 25 years ago but I bet they’re still cheap.

Re: Draw weight [Re: trapperben] #8594587 05/09/22 10:55 PM
kmon11 Online Shocked
junior
Online Shocked
junior
Some other things to consider are draw length. Bows are generally listed at 28 inch draw. Draw one 26 inches and it will roughly 6lbs lighter or draw it 30 and it will get heavier by 6lbs or more. Depends on the bow for that jsut a general thing. Some getting into it will go lighter at first to get the mechanics down and learn good form which goes a long way to good shooting.

Many beginning archers will start of with a lighter bow say in the 35 to 40lb range then increase it from there. Take down bows are great for that since you can get different poundage limbs for them and go up from there.

I shoot a bow that is 42 lbs at 28 inches so at my 29 inch draw it is 45 to 46lbs, I also have the same bow in 50lb draw so it is closer to 55 than 50 at my draw length.

lf the saying "Liar, Liar your pants on fire" were true
Mainstream news might be fun to watch
Re: Draw weight [Re: trapperben] #8594613 05/10/22 12:02 AM
T
trapperben Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
T
My draw length was measurednasn28 inches pulled to my ear. Mouth might be easier with a long bow so 50 might be closer to 45.

Re: Draw weight [Re: trapperben] #8594688 05/10/22 01:32 AM
kmon11 Online Shocked
junior
Online Shocked
junior
Personally I would go at least 40lbs with a Trad bow for hunting and in your case at least 45lbs for hunting.

Longest kill shot on a deer with Trad was about 25 yards, the others were 7 to 15 yards or so. Main thing is get the basics of Grip, draw, anchor sighting be it old school look at and shoot it, gap method or walking the string. I have seen some very good archers shoot all 3 ways well. Main thing is get the basics good with a bow you like and feels good to you then shoot a lot but with purpose making sure every thing is right every time. If you ever played golf and standing over the ball you feel that something is wrong back off and do the routine again otherwise the golf shot will not be a good one, same with Archery.

lf the saying "Liar, Liar your pants on fire" were true
Mainstream news might be fun to watch
Re: Draw weight [Re: trapperben] #8594892 05/10/22 02:04 PM
P
PrimitiveHunter Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
You’re really going to like the freedom of stick-and-string shooting. My favorite practice is to walk away from my target (usually a leaf on the ground) an unknown distance, turn around, and fire. I try to get my shot off within 5 seconds of turning. It’s like throwing a baseball or shooting a basketball. After a while, your subconscious will take care of the rest. Good luck and let us know how it’s going.

Re: Draw weight [Re: trapperben] #8594924 05/10/22 02:57 PM
B
BDB Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B
I'm actually reversed on the route most have taken....I started with selfbows/wooden arrows I made, now I shoot a compound generally for western hunting. When I quit going out west I may take up the longbow agin (I went from self bows to traditional bows along my journey) If your wanting to keep that weight down I'd really look at recurves, they are more efficient than longbows at those low weights, plus smaller, more nimbler. My longbow is 64 pounds and I'd have no issue shooting moose with it, but 30-40 pounds is getting really low for a longbow, and big game animals. Generally speaking recurves are more accurate FOR MOST SHOOTERS, the shelf is cut out for wider arrow selection and tuning arrows is less finicky with recurves, plus there design is more efficient for launching the arrow.

I'd say 50 pounds minimum for longbow and 40 for a recurve, generally speaking.

Re: Draw weight [Re: PrimitiveHunter] #8594929 05/10/22 03:06 PM
T
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by PrimitiveHunter
You’re really going to like the freedom of stick-and-string shooting. My favorite practice is to walk away from my target (usually a leaf on the ground) an unknown distance, turn around, and fire. I try to get my shot off within 5 seconds of turning. It’s like throwing a baseball or shooting a basketball. After a while, your subconscious will take care of the rest. Good luck and let us know how it’s going.

I still enjoy shooting my compound but it is indeed very freeing. Very visceral to use a trad bow.

Once you start you will never been the same in how you view bowhunting

Re: Draw weight [Re: trapperben] #8595033 05/10/22 06:24 PM
R
RLoving1 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
R

I live in Odessa and travel to Seminole and deal with Korbins Archery for compound needs. Build strings on site and good service. Not sure about trad bows at that location.

Brayden (Lazy L's Southern Comfort) you will be missed! You were more than a pet you were my reason to rise and return for many days! You were my rock!
12/26/03-10/25/13
Re: Draw weight [Re: trapperben] #8595152 05/10/22 10:54 PM
P
passthru Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
A few good comments here but a lot of bad information as well. I'd got to another forum with people who are committed to traditional archery and can help you through the transition. www.texasbowhunter.com

I work hard, drink a little and hunt when I can.
NRA Life Member
https://sofalasafaris.com/
Re: Draw weight [Re: passthru] #8595531 05/11/22 03:35 PM
P
PrimitiveHunter Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
Originally Posted by passthru
A few good comments here but a lot of bad information as well. I'd got to another forum with people who are committed to traditional archery and can help you through the transition. www.texasbowhunter.com

Hmm. Every comment is based on a persons personal experience. They all look like good comments so I assume mine are the bad ones. Sorry, my comments are based on my experience and are 100% true for me. I don’t give advice to anyone. I just relate what I know is true for me. Your mileage may vary.

Re: Draw weight [Re: trapperben] #8595669 05/11/22 06:45 PM
P
passthru Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
Nah, you seem like you've got it figured out. But most guys don't hold near 30lbs at full draw on a compound. My 60lb compound has an 85 percent let off. Meaning I'm holding less than 12 pounds at full draw.
Learning to shoot with good form and technique is very difficult at 40lbs and up for most people. It will benefit him to get a three piece bow he can start low and upgrade limbs as he gets better and stronger.
And although I wouldn't hunt with less than 40lbs at my draw length there are people who do successfully. Just have to be close and very accurate.
Tuning, building on a solid anchor point that is repeatable and consistency is what anyone starting out need to work on. And worrying about broadhead and hunting weight is at least a few months away unless he is just a natural. But I'd say I'm as deadly as most with my stick bows yet I know the mistakes I made starting out cost me.

NRA Life Member
Re: Draw weight [Re: trapperben] #8596044 05/12/22 03:27 AM
T
trapperben Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
T
I appreciate all the advice and comments and I am learning from them. I did look at the site passthru ref and read the pinned threads for newbies. First step for me will be selecting a bow or two if I get one for practice. Thanks again.

Re: Draw weight [Re: trapperben] #8598074 05/15/22 02:11 PM
T
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
I appreciate all the advice and comments and I am learning from them. I did look at the site passthru ref and read the pinned threads for newbies. First step for me will be selecting a bow or two if I get one for practice. Thanks again.

There trad subsection is a lot more active then the bowhunting section on this site and there are a few guys there ( Bisch to name one) who helped me tremendously when I started. Lots of good information to be had there

Re: Draw weight [Re: trapperben] #8598775 05/16/22 02:07 PM
P
passthru Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
Well I'm an experienced shooter. Capable killer. But I want a better experience for 3D. I went to a clinic and immediately set for a different anchor point even though I have a solid and strong shot cycle. But changing things means making it as easy as I can so I'm picking up an inexpensive 35lb bow this week to get the new anchor dow easier.
If your pride or ignorance is in the way it will hurt your learning curve

NRA Life Member
Re: Draw weight [Re: passthru] #8601511 05/20/22 02:37 PM
P
PrimitiveHunter Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
Originally Posted by passthru
Well I'm an experienced shooter. Capable killer. But I want a better experience for 3D. I went to a clinic and immediately set for a different anchor point even though I have a solid and strong shot cycle. But changing things means making it as easy as I can so I'm picking up an inexpensive 35lb bow this week to get the new anchor dow easier.
If your pride or ignorance is in the way it will hurt your learning curve

#1 law of nature: Things that lock into a rigid, non-adaptive lifestyle will become extinct.

What’s really important is that we continue to grow and learn. Even if you decide a new thing is not for you, you’ve still learned something. My wife always shakes her head at me. When I started shooting compounds, I bought books (pre internet) on compound bow physic, draw force curves, etc. It’s not good enough for me to know it does…I have to know why it does.

Re: Draw weight [Re: trapperben] #8648678 07/25/22 06:30 PM
D
Dave Scott Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
D
I "went back" to a recurve. They are lightweight, easy to carry, and a lot of fun. I have a 40 lb, 45 lb, and 50 lb. and strangely, the arrow seems to travel at pretty much the same speed with all 3. I went back to instinctive shooting, looking right down the arrow. I think in choked brush where shots are at close range and you need to shoot fast- the recurve IS BETTER than the compound because you don't have to find the deer in a peep sight, etc. One guy told me an arrowhead that stays in the lungs rather than pass through the deer will tear up the lungs when the deer runs and do a better job. In any event I like the traditional. Thee compound- I got on that because of angst at having to "get something". Like the others- 20-30 yards is my limit. At such close range jumping the string, etc. causes less issues.
And I like those arrowheads.

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide