Re: Open Container Law [Re: cbump] #8520268 02/02/22 03:15 PM
F
fishdfly Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
F
Originally Posted by cbump
Originally Posted by reeltexan

All that law does is keep our roadways trashed out with cans and bottles.

Open container laws make people litter? That’s bull. Majority of people out there are just trashy.

Majority of aluminum cans picked up on the side of highways are "beer" cans, not soft drink cans.

Re: Open Container Law [Re: fishdfly] #8520273 02/02/22 03:20 PM
F
flintknapper Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Originally Posted by fishdfly
Originally Posted by cbump

Open container laws make people litter? That’s bull. Majority of people out there are just trashy.

Majority of aluminum cans picked up on the side of highways are "beer" cans, not soft drink cans.

Absolutely true on our Farm to Market Road. Every time I mow the right of way in front of our property and pick up the 'litter' people throw out, it is mostly Beer Cans.

Good observation. Speaks to the drinking while driving issue out there....I suspect.

Spartans ask not...how many, but where!
Re: Open Container Law [Re: flintknapper] #8520281 02/02/22 03:29 PM
HWY_MAN Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
FM roads out here are covered in beer and energy drink cans.

Yes! A Weatherby does kill them deader.
Re: Open Container Law [Re: bigbob_ftw] #8520283 02/02/22 03:32 PM
F
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Originally Posted by bigbob_ftw
Originally Posted by flintknapper
Originally Posted by scalebuster
Originally Posted by fishdfly
In Texas, open containers are prohibited in any seating area of a vehicle, including the driver's side, passenger side or backseat. It's illegal to knowingly possess an open container of alcohol in a vehicle on a public highway. It doesn't matter if the vehicle is stopped or parked.

I think everyone knows this. The question is does this law keep you from drinking beer on the highway?

Yes. It's the law.

And I don't 'pick and choose' the ones to follow.

If anyone feels them particularly burdensome, talk to your legislators to change them. That is what the system is there for.

The fact that many people do it (open container) doesn't make it lawful or something to excuse. But just because something is 'common', doesn't make it right.

Again, if that many people don't like the law...then it should be a simple matter to get it changed.

so you never speed?

Correct. I follow posted speed limits. IF I ever speed.....it is unintentional (and rare) and never deliberately (like purposely ignoring open container laws), but it has been my observation that people who willingly break one law....will break others as well. But I probably don't have to tell you that.

In 52 years of driving I've been ticketed exactly twice. One was bogus and beat in court, the other I richly deserved and paid. I've never caused an accident or been in one that was my fault. I'd say that's a pretty damn good driving record. Drinking and driving can't be helpful for that.

Last edited by flintknapper; 02/02/22 03:34 PM.

Re: Open Container Law [Re: scalebuster] #8520285 02/02/22 03:33 PM
F
fishdfly Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
F
Our county road ditch in front of my place become littered with beer cans starting September with deer lessors going to their leases. The number of cans drops dramatically after the end of December when the lessors are gone.

Drinking and driving and it is not the locals.

Re: Open Container Law [Re: scalebuster] #8520290 02/02/22 03:38 PM
L
LarryCopper Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
L
We did on road trips all the time as young bucks. Nowadays there is one situation where I will have one for the road. On the way to a restaurant where I'll have one or two more. I don't get anywhere near drunk and get behind the wheel.

I had a hunting buddy that I met cuz our daughters played sports together. He's a local cop that looks like he should be a defensive end in the NFL. His family still has a place around San Saba that he hunted and he would take an 18 pack for the drive from the Dallas area. He told me of a story once that he got pulled over and argued successfully that those weren't open containers, they're empty containers. I'm sure he got out of it most likely due to professional courtesy, not the argument.

Re: Open Container Law [Re: scalebuster] #8520295 02/02/22 03:41 PM
S
Sewer rat Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
S
I haven’t had a drop of alcohol this year and only had a couple of drinks since Halloween. Prior to that I drank pretty much daily for the past twenty years. I never drank before noon and didn’t absolutely need to have a drink but most days I would drink 4-5 every evening after the day’s work was done.

If it was after 5 pm it was rare for me to be driving without an open container. After I had two I wouldn’t drive so I wasn’t driving drunk but like clockwork I would drink one or two on the way home from working.

I really don’t know what happened but I had drank 4-5 a night for decades usually 1-2 on the drive home and then 2-3 at home before I went to bed. For whatever reason these numbers started increasing last year to where on several occasions I was drinking ten plus an evening and I just decided enough was enough on Halloween. I slipped up a couple of times around the holidays but have had less than ten total drinks since Halloween and not a drop this year. I missed drinking like crazy at first. Not sure if it was addiction to the substance or just addiction to the routine. It was a rough few weeks but now I have zero desire for it. I feel like I have so much I want to do and alcohol just slows me down and gets in the way of what I want to get done.

Re: Open Container Law [Re: scalebuster] #8520338 02/02/22 04:12 PM
F
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Originally Posted by TXGUNNER308

Can you show the law? Have a link?

Look it up yourself...

In the state of Texas, you will not be given an LTC if you have been convicted of a class A or B misdemeanor within the last 5 years. This means, if you have a DWI (a class B misdemeanor) less than 5 years ago, you will not be allowed to obtain your LTC.

What happens to my License to Carry or CHL if I’m arrested and charged with a crime?

Texas Government Code 411.187 spells out the scenarios that require the Texas Department of Public Safety (DPS) to suspend one’s LTC or CHL. In regards to criminal charges, the department SHALL suspend an LTC if the license holder is charged with the commission of:

a Class A or Class B Misdemeanor;
an offense under Section 42.01 of the Texas Penal Code (Disorderly Conduct); or
any Felony offense.

In addition, a person’s LTC or CHL will be suspended if a person is arrested for any offense involving family violence or disorderly conduct and is subject to an active protective order.

...they will take it too!

Where the issue of 'Carrying' (in public) while drinking gets 'sticky' is that there is no 'Legal Limit' as with DWI or Public Intoxication. LEO (and a judge) need only prove/agree that 'impairment' was at play.

So.....if you drink and carry you are taking a chance that an officer will (or will not) decide you are 'impaired' (regardless any amount you've consumed) and proceed with an arrest. During that time (pendency) your LTC will be suspended.

Actually, you could further be charged with Unlawfully Carrying a Weapon (if they really want to press things). A good lawyer can probably get you off provided you didn't 'blow' over a .08% (not admissible as evidence anyway) or fail a blood test. But again...the standard is 'impairment'....and I'd hate have the wrong jury for that one.

With the advent of Permit-less Carry t(and the already in place Motorist Protection Act) the need for a LTC is less important for many folks, though I recommend keeping one if you already have one. I've had mine for 26 years,

Last edited by flintknapper; 02/02/22 04:13 PM.

Re: Open Container Law [Re: reeltexan] #8520549 02/02/22 07:24 PM
R
retfuz Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
R

Actually, it doesn't. Drinkers throw their cans and bottles out the window to keep from being tagged for open container in the vehicle.

Re: Open Container Law [Re: scalebuster] #8520738 02/02/22 10:03 PM
A
angus1956 Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
A
So what about getting a drink to go from a restaurant, isn't this an open container? Most are in a plastic cup with a straw stuck in it.

Re: Open Container Law [Re: angus1956] #8520740 02/02/22 10:09 PM
TurkeyHunter Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by angus1956
So what about getting a drink to go from a restaurant, isn't this an open container? Most are in a plastic cup with a straw stuck in it.

You bend the straw and stick one end in each nostril. If stopped by the police just explain what you did and why. You will be good to go.

To be determined
Re: Open Container Law [Re: retfuz] #8520743 02/02/22 10:10 PM
S
Sneaky Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted by retfuz

Actually, it doesn't. Drinkers throw their cans and bottles out the window to keep from being tagged for open container in the vehicle.

Isn’t that what he was just saying?

Re: Open Container Law [Re: scalebuster] #8520745 02/02/22 10:11 PM
TurkeyHunter Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Roll with a 40.

[Linked Image]

To be determined
Re: Open Container Law [Re: TurkeyHunter] #8520748 02/02/22 10:13 PM
S
Sneaky Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted by TurkeyHunter
Roll with a 40.

[Linked Image]

I’m afraid that will make me retarded. The name has been ruined for me, thanks to a certain member of this forum.

Re: Open Container Law [Re: Sneaky] #8520754 02/02/22 10:20 PM
skinnerback Offline
THF Celebrity Chef
THF Celebrity Chef
Originally Posted by Sneaky
Roll with a 40.

[Linked Image]

I’m afraid that will make me retarded. The name has been ruined for me, thanks to a certain member of this forum.

rofl

Re: Open Container Law [Re: TexFlip] #8520772 02/02/22 10:36 PM
D
DocHorton Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
D
Originally Posted by TexFlip
An alcohol related offense would be a career ended for me. I do not partake.

Same here...could cause me issues with my license to practice. Way too much to lose.

Re: Open Container Law [Re: Sneaky] #8520784 02/02/22 10:49 PM
J
Judd Offline
#1 Creedmoor Fan
#1 Creedmoor Fan
J
Roll with a 40.

[Linked Image]

rofl

Originally Posted by Phil Robertson
Don't let your ears hear what your eyes didn't see, and don't let your mouth say what your heart doesn't feel
Re: Open Container Law [Re: scalebuster] #8592057 05/05/22 09:46 PM
B
blkt2 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
B
Alcohol and Motor Vehicles are a problem the same way so-called gun violence is a problem. A very select few cause the majority of the issues and the entire thing has been politicized going back to the 80s. Considering how Mothers Against Drunk drivers was headquartered out of Irving and that one of the original Founders themselves got arrested for DWI I would say all of it was political done for personal gain. In case you haven't been around nonprofits before I'll clue you into something, there's big money in nonprofits .Driving while impaired should be illegal and is but driving while having a drink if you're not impaired should not be illegal but saying so gets you the same kind of stares that having a rational discussion about registered sex offenders will get you.

Re: Open Container Law [Re: scalebuster] #8592091 05/05/22 10:44 PM
J
Jman Offline
Tracker
Tracker
J
All the occupants get ticketed

Jim Featherston
Mortgage Loan Officer - NMLS 2509901
Red Diamond Home Loans
165 S Kimball Ave, Suite 100
Southlake, TX 76092
PH 972-890-3114
Apply at: RDHLoans.com/Jim
Re: Open Container Law [Re: scalebuster] #8592179 05/06/22 01:19 AM
6InARowMakeItGo Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by flintknapper

Correct. I follow posted speed limits. IF I ever speed.....it is unintentional (and rare) and never deliberately (like purposely ignoring open container laws), but it has been my observation that people who willingly break one law....will break others as well. But I probably don't have to tell you that.

In 52 years of driving I've been ticketed exactly twice. One was bogus and beat in court, the other I richly deserved and paid. I've never caused an accident or been in one that was my fault. I'd say that's a pretty damn good driving record. Drinking and driving can't be helpful for that.

That’s all fine and and dandy, keep your azz outta the left lane then. We got places to go.

🍻
Re: Open Container Law [Re: skinnerback] #8592183 05/06/22 01:22 AM
6InARowMakeItGo Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by skinnerback
Roll with a 40.

[Linked Image]

rofl

roflmao

🍻
Re: Open Container Law [Re: 6InARowMakeItGo] #8592186 05/06/22 01:29 AM
Bee'z Offline
The Beedazzler
The Beedazzler
Originally Posted by Thundervee
Originally Posted by skinnerback
Roll with a 40.

[Linked Image]

rofl

roflmao

Well played Sneaky, well played roflmao

[Linked Image]
Re: Open Container Law [Re: blkt2] #8592269 05/06/22 07:07 AM
R
RedRanger Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
R
Originally Posted by blkt2
Alcohol and Motor Vehicles are a problem the same way so-called gun violence is a problem. A very select few cause the majority of the issues and the entire thing has been politicized going back to the 80s. Considering how Mothers Against Drunk drivers was headquartered out of Irving and that one of the original Founders themselves got arrested for DWI I would say all of it was political done for personal gain. In case you haven't been around nonprofits before I'll clue you into something, there's big money in nonprofits .Driving while impaired should be illegal and is but driving while having a drink if you're not impaired should not be illegal but saying so gets you the same kind of stares that having a rational discussion about registered sex offenders will get you.

MADD is probably the biggest factor that Texas outlawed open containers in a car

Re: Open Container Law [Re: scalebuster] #8592434 05/06/22 02:26 PM
I
ILUVBIGBUCKS Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
I
Originally Posted by scalebuster
How many of you still drink beer while going down the road. If someone else is driving I’ll continue drinking beer on the highway. I’ll also have ONE beer while I’m driving if I feel like it.
I did get the first open container ticket in Tom Green county the night the law went into effect. I think that was in 2001. I haven’t had one since but if pulled over I’d pay the fine and continue as I always have.

I think it is the absolute dumbest law ever.
I put in a hard day's work and head home and can't enjoy a single beer on my commute home.
Just a stupid law that makes no sense to me at all.

High fence, low fence, no fence, it really doesn't matter as long as you're hunting!
Re: Open Container Law [Re: RedRanger] #8592435 05/06/22 02:26 PM
I
ILUVBIGBUCKS Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
I
Originally Posted by RedRanger
Originally Posted by blkt2

MADD is probably the biggest factor that Texas outlawed open containers in a car

YUP

High fence, low fence, no fence, it really doesn't matter as long as you're hunting!
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide