Re: Professional Burnout [Re: hook_n_line] #8590278 05/03/22 06:47 PM
J
jeepercreeper Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J
Originally Posted by hook_n_line
Originally Posted by jeepercreeper
One of my previous jobs I got so burned out I would start reading into fortune cookies way too much. I got one that said "Things will improve for you soon" or something like that and I interpreted it as things will get better in my position.....they didn't. Then my next fortune cookie said something like "A new opportunity will land in your lap" and one didn't really land in my lap but I did find another one and it was just more of the same. Now I have moved from fortune cookies to horoscopes.

Wake up in the morning and say a few thankyous, ask for a little guidance and the Man upstairs might just keep you sane.

Thats good advice. I was joking of course. What you mentioned did remind me of a conference I attended once where the speaker addressed this. He said that most of us in the business world wake up each morning and the first thing we do is reach for our smart phone and see what the schedule for the day looks like......who am I meeting with, when, where, about what. His recommendation instead was to stop doing that and first thing you should do lying in bed is reflect, pray, think about what you are thankful for. It starts the day off a little different. You kiss your wife a little different and hug your kids a little tighter after that reflection vs the panic mindset that your smart phone will start your day off with.

Re: Professional Burnout [Re: jeepercreeper] #8590283 05/03/22 07:17 PM
H
hook_n_line Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
H
One of my previous jobs I got so burned out I would start reading into fortune cookies way too much. I got one that said "Things will improve for you soon" or something like that and I interpreted it as things will get better in my position.....they didn't. Then my next fortune cookie said something like "A new opportunity will land in your lap" and one didn't really land in my lap but I did find another one and it was just more of the same. Now I have moved from fortune cookies to horoscopes.

Wake up in the morning and say a few thankyous, ask for a little guidance and the Man upstairs might just keep you sane.

Thats good advice. I was joking of course. What you mentioned did remind me of a conference I attended once where the speaker addressed this. He said that most of us in the business world wake up each morning and the first thing we do is reach for our smart phone and see what the schedule for the day looks like......who am I meeting with, when, where, about what. His recommendation instead was to stop doing that and first thing you should do lying in bed is reflect, pray, think about what you are thankful for. It starts the day off a little different. You kiss your wife a little different and hug your kids a little tighter after that reflection vs the panic mindset that your smart phone will start your day off with.

cheers I like that. I figured you were joking I just thought others could use a little push since you had their attention. up

Sometimes it's hard being me! But somebody has to do it.
Re: Professional Burnout [Re: jeepercreeper] #8590290 05/03/22 07:21 PM
T
txtrophy85 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T

Very good advice!

For it is not the quarry that we truly seek, but the adventure.
Re: Professional Burnout [Re: Homer Jay] #8590299 05/03/22 07:31 PM
T
Texas Dan Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
I was fortunate in that burnout came for me about a year before the company offered an early retirement package. IMO, burnout means you no longer enjoy the challenges and feelings of accomplishments your job offers you. I also believe you begin to take a more serious look at how your job rewards you once the kids are all grown on their own. When you're still feeding and helping them make it through college, that can become your reward. Others look at the cost of their pass time activities as the reward for their professional work. But just like when the kids move on, you may find yourself second guessing if those pass time activities are really worth the time spent on any job for that matter.

Last edited by Texas Dan; 05/03/22 07:36 PM.

"Some people will never like you because your spirit irritates their demons."
Re: Professional Burnout [Re: Homer Jay] #8590308 05/03/22 07:44 PM
T
txtrophy85 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Work is simply the trade of your time in exchange for currency. No more complicated than that.

Big question is, is your time spent vs. the currency earned a good value? If not, then you need to re-evaluate some things, and the pendulum swings both ways.

I believe we have become so indoctrinated as a society to find success at any cost in the corporate world that even the mere thought of not wanting to do it anymore or getting burned out should illict immediate feelings of guilt, failure and shame. Media and print ads are full of promoting this "work ethic"

Personally, work is a means to an end....It provides me the means to do the things I want to do in life and to pursue my interests and hobbies. I enjoy my job very much but It can get stressful and overwhelming at times like any other industry.

I also believe that burnout at work is also correlated to many adult men not having any friends or hobbies....thus they try and turn their work into a hobby or enjoyable endeavor and are ultimately unfulfilled. IMO its why youth sports are so popular....its an outlet for Moms and Dads to socialize and be relevent in the community without having any real performance expectations put on themselves, instead passing it off to their kids who probably would be happier if he was jumping off a rope swing with his buddies instead of baking in the July heat on some astro-turf field.

Get in the gym, get healthy, get a hobby, hell, get 5 hobbies and enjoy your time that is not dedicated to work or income producing activities.

For it is not the quarry that we truly seek, but the adventure.
Re: Professional Burnout [Re: Homer Jay] #8590317 05/03/22 07:56 PM
603Country Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
This discussion brings me to something that was discussed among us oil traders years ago. We had annual jobs, which means you had a one year contract. If you were a good trader and had a good year, you’d get a killer bonus and next years contract. If you had a bad year, you might not get “renewed”. Somebody came up with the idea that we each needed to earn and invest with the intent to reach the FIM number. FIM is an acronym for “F___ It Money”. We wanted to get to an investment level and no debt, so that we could, at some point in our lives, say “F___ It” and walk into the sunset and retire.

The FIM number matters.

Not my monkeys, not my circus...
Re: Professional Burnout [Re: Homer Jay] #8590324 05/03/22 08:08 PM
A
angus1956 Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
A
When you wake up Sunday morning thinking I have to go back to that place tomorrow or deal with the B.S. from where you are your close to burnt out.
At 63 I wanted to hold my breath for 2 more years but they shot 25 of us in August of 2019. Spent 40 years in Technical Sales Support (Computer Industry) loved the folks I worked with and the customers but the corporate B.S. was over the top. When management tells you "the report is more important than the customer " its time to move on.
When you get 60+ you need to start looking over your shoulder.
Looking back getting R.I.F'ed was the best thing that happened to me. I was prepared for retirement so it didn't matter.

Re: Professional Burnout [Re: Homer Jay] #8590345 05/03/22 08:30 PM
68rustbucket Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
At 60+ the physical aspects of some lines of work just aren’t safe, or doable any longer. That’s when your body says it’s time to leave.

Re: Professional Burnout [Re: Homer Jay] #8590373 05/03/22 09:09 PM
W
Whammer7 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
W
There is a podcast called "The Art of Manilness" that had a show on 4/18 called "The U shaped curve of happiness"

People tend to be happy at 19, decline in happiness until age 48, then climb back to as happy as they are going to get by 71. It's an interesting listen.

"Sometimes, too much to drink is barely enough"

Mark Twain
Re: Professional Burnout [Re: Homer Jay] #8590392 05/03/22 09:24 PM
C
Cochise Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
C
Living it right now. It's a grind.

Had a "serious" job search going on for 5-6 months now. Between being maybe too selective or potential employers waiting until the offer to also mention a vaccine is required nothing has panned out...makes the burnout that much more miserable because now not only are you burned out - you feel like a failure and stuck.

Re: Professional Burnout [Re: bill oxner] #8590468 05/03/22 11:00 PM
R
retfuz Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
R
Originally Posted by bill oxner
Retire. Worked for me.

This!

Re: Professional Burnout [Re: Homer Jay] #8590475 05/03/22 11:09 PM
Creekrunner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
'cept, he didn't "retire".

...and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. Gen. 1:28
Re: Professional Burnout [Re: jeepercreeper] #8590880 05/04/22 03:27 PM
B
Big Fitz Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
B

Very good advice. I was fortunate for most of my career in that I got to change roles (often a promotion) every 3 or 4 years which helped to stave off burnout. But in the later years, the politics and outright lying just took the wind out of my sails so I had to leave that company. I'm a resilient guy and put a lot heart and soul into my work and my teams and loved seeing them solve and overcome problems - I truly cared but got way too tied up in it. I'm retired now but if I were to do it again I would work even harder to put things into perspective as the job is not life and death. Perspective is key. I've noticed that those who seem to be happiest at work put things into perspective much better that I did.

Originally Posted by onlysmith&wesson
I was wrong...on anything technical.

Originally Posted by Sailor
Fitz............. is right, ya know............
Re: Professional Burnout [Re: Homer Jay] #8590884 05/04/22 03:32 PM
R
reeltexan Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
R

^^^ Right. You're not defined by a job, a house or a bank account.

Your value comes from the creator.

[Linked Image]

"Give me an Army of West Point graduates and I'll win a battle... Give me a handful of Texas Aggies and I'll win a war." - General Patton

Re: Professional Burnout [Re: Big Fitz] #8591018 05/04/22 06:59 PM
K
Ktexas14 Online Content
Tracker
Online Content
Tracker
K

Very good advice. I was fortunate for most of my career in that I got to change roles (often a promotion) every 3 or 4 years which helped to stave off burnout. But in the later years, the politics and outright lying just took the wind out of my sails so I had to leave that company. I'm a resilient guy and put a lot heart and soul into my work and my teams and loved seeing them solve and overcome problems - I truly cared but got way too tied up in it. I'm retired now but if I were to do it again I would work even harder to put things into perspective as the job is not life and death. Perspective is key. I've noticed that those who seem to be happiest at work put things into perspective much better that I did.
[/quote]

That last part is what I struggle with. When things are closing in and not going well with a customer it is so hard to keep perspective and not feel like the sky is falling.

It is easy to tell yourself that things will work out and you will get through it. For me it is very hard in the moment to look at things that aren't going well, but in the grand scheme of things don't matter, and letting it be instead of stressing.

Re: Professional Burnout [Re: Homer Jay] #8591138 05/04/22 09:56 PM
Tbar Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
I stayed in a high pressure, management by intimidation job for 20 years. Stupid, stupid, stupid....I'm sure it took years off my life.

My blood pressure was out of control, I was bringing work home because I was doing 3 peoples job and it was ruining my family life.

Finally I developed a system that helped me manage the work load(w/o any help from my employer) and I stopped working any OT....weather the job got done or not...there was always tomorrow. Screw it!

Approximately year 10 I learned to bow up on my boss. About once a year we would get into a shouting match with furniture getting thrown about and people looking around the corner to see if punches were going to get thrown.....and then he would show me respect and climb off my azz for about another year.

When 2008 hit they started laying people off because of the economy. They thought my job was dispensable. "You are laid off.....now how do we do your job." I thought about how they abused myself and my fellow employees over the years and said. "Naa....see ya." You are fixing to find out how much this Intellectual capital was worth to your company. It took me years to design it and it is not intuitive. In the recovery years after the great recession this company's production numbers were off 76% in large part because no one could do my job(they didn't call me back, that was fine). When the company was moved up north to fold it in with another company they never were able to produce move than 1 or 2 units per month because they left all the rest of the intellectual capital behind.

That was my break from a bad job. One of the best things that ever happened to me. I loved what I did, my fellow employees were great but to this day I still loathe the management and owner of that company. I should have never stayed in that job for as long as I did. Now I keep telling my son not to be afraid to job hop.....new hires get paid more anyway.

Make America Great Again

Re: Professional Burnout [Re: Homer Jay] #8591189 05/04/22 10:20 PM
M
Marc K Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
M
When I was younger, I ran balls to the walls earning and building a career. I had sort of an awakening in my 30s when I realized that raising my kids right and actually being involved in their lives was most important to me. From that point forward, I chose my income earning methods specifically based on that. No, we are not wealthy and I am still working running a small business (my 3rd) at 68 years old.

We got all of them through college and each has chosen their path wisely with all five prospering spiritually, emotionally and financially. There are very few days that we do not hear from each of our daughters. It is often just a simple “I love you” call or text. I have no problem with the direction that I chose. Family comes first.

A Democracy is when two wolves and a lamb vote on the dinner menu. That is why this country was specifically not designed as a Democracy. We are a Constitutional Republic.
Re: Professional Burnout [Re: Homer Jay] #8591219 05/04/22 10:51 PM
603Country Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Many years ago I was friends with an IT guy where I worked. He was an older fellow. We’d have a beer every now and then, and one time we were talking about layoffs. I was worried but he was laughing. He said he wrote all of the payroll code and pretty much everything else, and the first thing the programs did was search for his payroll number. If it didn’t find it, nothing worked. I thought that was pretty funny, even though I was in that same payroll program.

Not my monkeys, not my circus...
Re: Professional Burnout [Re: Marc K] #8591222 05/04/22 10:55 PM
Greg Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by Marc K
When I was younger, I ran balls to the walls earning and building a career. I had sort of an awakening in my 30s when I realized that raising my kids right and actually being involved in their lives was most important to me. From that point forward, I chose my income earning methods specifically based on that. No, we are not wealthy and I am still working running a small business (my 3rd) at 68 years old.

We got all of them through college and each has chosen their path wisely with all five prospering spiritually, emotionally and financially. There are very few days that we do not hear from each of our daughters. It is often just a simple “I love you” call or text. I have no problem with the direction that I chose. Family comes first.

100% Marc
up

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide