Forums46
Topics537,020
Posts9,719,460
Members86,987
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Cut & thread barrel kills accuracy? [Re: Sewer rat] #8582793 04/21/22 06:36 PM
J
jeepercreeper Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J
Morgan cut down &threaded a couple factory barrels for me and the rifles got more accurate. My factory barrel crowns must have been crap.

Re: Cut & thread barrel kills accuracy? [Re: Sewer rat] #8582869 04/21/22 08:26 PM
kry226 Online Content
The General
Online Content
The General
If I ever get back to the States, I know I've got a .308 bull barrel heading Morgan's way. Maybe even my .243 too. whistle

[Linked Image]
Re: Cut & thread barrel kills accuracy? [Re: Sewer rat] #8583382 04/22/22 02:49 PM
Q
QuitShootinYoungBucks Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Q
After the first 3-5 shots went that far astray, my first thought would have been to remove the can and see how it shot. If it still shot poorly, I'd torque-check every screw on the action and the mounts/rings. 'Tight' isn't necessarily 'right'. Then I'd try a different ammo for 3-5 shots. At that point I'd swap the optic.

[Linked Image]

https://web.archive.org/web/20170223065011/http:/www.rrdvegas.com/silencer-cleaning.html
Re: Cut & thread barrel kills accuracy? [Re: Sewer rat] #8583424 04/22/22 03:33 PM
D
DStroud Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
D
As soon as I saw who cut and threaded I mentally ruled that out as the problem.
Something loose somewhere. Let us know.

"Anyone taking up handloading necessarily plays with unknown factors and takes chances. But so does anyone who drives a car,goes to a cocktail party,eats in a restaurant,or gets married."

Jack O'Connor 1963
Re: Cut & thread barrel kills accuracy? [Re: Sewer rat] #8583683 04/22/22 09:36 PM
S
Sewer rat Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
S
Sorry for no update. I was hoping to shoot and figure this out today but the weather had other plans. With this wind I might be shooting six foot groups.

[Linked Image]

Re: Cut & thread barrel kills accuracy? [Re: Sewer rat] #8585572 04/26/22 02:54 AM
S
Sewer rat Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
S
I finally got a chance to shoot the rifle today. I removed the surpressor and installed and thread protector and shot three rounds from my bench rest at 100 yards. The target was 18” square. One shot hit the paper. I am thinking something other than the threading is wrong. Instead of wasting more ammo I packed it up and am going to dig into it.

The scope, base, and rings (Swarovski/warne) are the original that I just removed to send the barrel for threading and I simply reinstalled with proper torque using my fat max wrench. The action is bedded into a Boyd’s stock. I torqued it to 40 inch pounds. I am going to order some Talley all in one base rings and mount the scope again and try that. I am at a loss. I have mounted I think eight scopes in the last year and have never had an issue.

This was a five shot group from before I sent the rifle in. It was a shooter. Now I can’t get but one out of three on paper.
[Linked Image]

Re: Cut & thread barrel kills accuracy? [Re: Sewer rat] #8587125 04/28/22 02:04 PM
T
trigger time Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
T
Try checking the crown by putting a q-tip just inside and seeing if it catches any burs coming out. Also is the barrel free floated? Check that as well to make sure something didn’t get in there. Cutting a barrel down will change the harmonics and one load might not shoot as good, but I’ve never seen one go completely to crap like that. Something else is up. Hopefully it’s something simple.

Re: Cut & thread barrel kills accuracy? [Re: trigger time] #8587142 04/28/22 02:24 PM
T
Texas Dan Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by trigger time
Cutting a barrel down will change the harmonics and one load might not shoot as good, but I’ve never seen one go completely to crap like that. Something else is up. Hopefully it’s something simple.

Depending on the model, something as simple as a loose barrel nut?

Last edited by Texas Dan; 04/28/22 02:27 PM.

"Some people will never like you because your spirit irritates their demons."
Re: Cut & thread barrel kills accuracy? [Re: Texas Dan] #8587164 04/28/22 02:59 PM
D
DallasShootingSupplies Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
D
Everything I am reading about Boyds stocks the torque settings are 25-35 pounds. Seeing posts where anything over that the accuracy went to crap, screw even starts making contact with the bolt when over 35. There’s an order to follow on which to tighten first

Would check trigger since it was removed as well and isn't dragging on anything.

Then after got the new scope mounted would try a bunch of different loads. Velocity changed, harmonics changed, might of had a recessed crown, now has a target etc.
very unlikely it’ll love them same load after all that changed. How it shot before with a certain load and doesn’t matter unless it was only threaded and not significantly shortened.

A quick google also showed there is a definite art and procedure to mounting those warn rings, and lots of post of erratic groups from them if any of those steps are missed.

Last edited by DallasShootingSupplies; 04/28/22 03:47 PM.

www.class3machining.com
Barrel Threading
50k+ barrels done. Zero Baffle Strikes
www.facebook.com/barrelthreading
www.instagram.com/class_3_machining/
Recommended by Silencerco, Capitol Armory, Hansohn Brothers, Gemtech, Ally Outfitters, The Firearm Blog etc
Re: Cut & thread barrel kills accuracy? [Re: Sewer rat] #8587215 04/28/22 03:54 PM
onlysmith&wesson Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Do your Warne rings have the stainless recoil lug, that sometimes unknowingly falls quietly to the mat on your bench?

I use those rings almost exclusively and never had an issue with them. But, that recoil lug is sometimes hard to hold in place while keeping enough pressure on them to attach to your rail.

An unethical shot is one you take, that you know you shouldn't.
Re: Cut & thread barrel kills accuracy? [Re: Sewer rat] #8590683 05/04/22 10:56 AM
onlysmith&wesson Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Did you get this mystery solved?

An unethical shot is one you take, that you know you shouldn't.
Re: Cut & thread barrel kills accuracy? [Re: DallasShootingSupplies] #8591286 05/05/22 12:03 AM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by DallasShootingSupplies
Everything I am reading about Boyds stocks the torque settings are 25-35 pounds. Seeing posts where anything over that the accuracy went to crap, screw even starts making contact with the bolt when over 35. There’s an order to follow on which to tighten first

Would check trigger since it was removed as well and isn't dragging on anything.

Then after got the new scope mounted would try a bunch of different loads. Velocity changed, harmonics changed, might of had a recessed crown, now has a target etc.
very unlikely it’ll love them same load after all that changed. How it shot before with a certain load and doesn’t matter unless it was only threaded and not significantly shortened.

A quick google also showed there is a definite art and procedure to mounting those warn rings, and lots of post of erratic groups from them if any of those steps are missed.

Then I NEVER need to own one of those stocks.

And those rings are terrible.

EGW pic rail, Night Force Ultralite rings and you never have to worry about either of those extremely crucial parts.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Precision Rifle Instruction
Memberships and Classes Available
Re: Cut & thread barrel kills accuracy? [Re: J.G.] #8591311 05/05/22 12:35 AM
B
Big Fitz Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
B
Originally Posted by FiremanJG

EGW pic rail, Night Force Ultralite rings and you never have to worry about either of those extremely crucial parts.

Certainly you can't be talking about Warne rings, those are designed by super ninja engineers and manufactured by super technical goblins.
roflmao

Originally Posted by onlysmith&wesson
I was wrong...on anything technical.

Originally Posted by Sailor
Fitz............. is right, ya know............
Re: Cut & thread barrel kills accuracy? [Re: J.G.] #8591319 05/05/22 12:52 AM
D
DallasShootingSupplies Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
D

As always great info man, you know this stuff inside and out. Once kids get year or so older I’m gonna definitely have to take a class from you. Been wanting to get into that stuff for a while now.

grin

www.class3machining.com
Barrel Threading
50k+ barrels done. Zero Baffle Strikes
www.facebook.com/barrelthreading
www.instagram.com/class_3_machining/
Recommended by Silencerco, Capitol Armory, Hansohn Brothers, Gemtech, Ally Outfitters, The Firearm Blog etc
Re: Cut & thread barrel kills accuracy? [Re: DallasShootingSupplies] #8591715 05/05/22 02:40 PM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
It would be my pleasure to have you come out.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Re: Cut & thread barrel kills accuracy? [Re: Sewer rat] #8591922 05/05/22 06:57 PM
T
TAB Online Content
Pro Tracker
Online Content
Pro Tracker
T
Boyds stocks that are pillar bedded and free floated have no issues and can be torqued easily past 70 in pounds.

Its all relative to what stock you have, and if it has pillars which is optional but really are not difficult to install.

Re: Cut & thread barrel kills accuracy? [Re: TAB] #8591994 05/05/22 08:12 PM
L
LonestarCobra Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
L
Originally Posted by TAB
Boyds stocks that are pillar bedded and free floated have no issues and can be torqued easily past 70 in pounds.

Its all relative to what stock you have, and if it has pillars which is optional but really are not difficult to install.

I have a Rem. VLS in 7-08, and the Factory stock on it may be a Boyds, who knows, but they are pretty much the same. I made and added pillars, bedded it, removed the pressure bump, and it shoots great torqued to 55 lb.in.

Re: Cut & thread barrel kills accuracy? [Re: TAB] #8592051 05/05/22 09:39 PM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by TAB

That was my next thought. Add pillars to a Boyd's stock and it might be alright.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Re: Cut & thread barrel kills accuracy? [Re: Sewer rat] #8600779 05/19/22 12:22 PM
T
Texas Dan Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Any updates?

Re: Cut & thread barrel kills accuracy? [Re: Sewer rat] #8600951 05/19/22 04:40 PM
S
Sewer rat Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
S
Sorry but no updates yet. Life has been crazy. Son is graduating high school tomorrow and have not had time to go shoot it again.

Re: Cut & thread barrel kills accuracy? [Re: Sewer rat] #8600956 05/19/22 04:46 PM
T
Texas Dan Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by Sewer rat
Sorry but no updates yet. Life has been crazy. Son is graduating high school tomorrow and have not had time to go shoot it again.

up

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide