Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Strangest Event While Hunting #8585779 04/26/22 02:03 PM
B
BenBob Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
B
What is the strangest thing that has ever occurred to you while out hunting? It can be a game camera picture or simply a description of something odd that happened that you or someone you are close to was a witness to, an event that is unexplainable.

Tired, Wired, and Uninspired
Re: Strangest Event While Hunting [Re: BenBob] #8585795 04/26/22 02:22 PM
Q
QuitShootinYoungBucks Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Q
When I was 11 yrs old, I was sitting on a small board about 15' up in a thin elm tree. Back then we would get out pretty early, and it was pitch black. I'd been in the tree about five minutes when this horrible screeching begins. It could have been a bobcat or a lion, but whatever it was circled my tree in some dense shinnery brush for 10-15 minutes, yowling and shrieking at me. 'MeeeeeoooOOOWWWWWWWW'! 'YeeeeeooooowwwWLLLLL!!! Up and down in both volume and pitch it went. I have no idea why it was so pissed off at me but man, it put on a vocal show for sure. I strained and strained to see what it was but when the predawn started, it moved off, yowling as it went. I've never witnessed anything like it in the 41 years since.

[Linked Image]

https://web.archive.org/web/20170223065011/http:/www.rrdvegas.com/silencer-cleaning.html
Re: Strangest Event While Hunting [Re: BenBob] #8585799 04/26/22 02:27 PM
B
BenBob Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
B
Was mule deer hunting in West Texas driving around looking for a spot and stalk opportunity about an hour before dark. We were moving into a long deep canyon that was probably a mile wide where we were. As we moved further south the canyon narrowed as we came closer to the head of the canyon. The mountains on both sides were mesas with rocky outcrops and flat mesas on top. We noticed what looked like a jet flying just below the top of the mesa. It was moving along at a pretty good clip and we were anticipating when it flew past the mesa where we could see it better. The exit from the canyon never happened as the second the jet should have had blue sky behind it and been easy to see, it disappeared without any explanation. Needless to say, we had no explanation for what happened. All 3 of us saw the same thing.

Re: Strangest Event While Hunting [Re: BenBob] #8585844 04/26/22 03:20 PM
H
hook_n_line Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
H
I was hunting with my dad when he got up to head to his deer blind. I was still getting my jacket on as he walked off. I started following his shadow since it was still dark out but the moon was bright. He walked right on passed his deer blind and I stayed on his trail since he was headed towards mine. We got to the creek and he went down into it. I came out on the other side and got in my blind but I didn't see him anymore. When I got back to camp later that morning he was already there. I asked where he had gone and he told me he was up in his blind. I told him him that I had followed him all the way to the creek and he said he didn't go that far. We still don't know who I was following. I only know it looked like his shadow in the dark and he was about 30 yards ahead the whole half mile.

Sometimes it's hard being me! But somebody has to do it.
Re: Strangest Event While Hunting [Re: BenBob] #8585875 04/26/22 04:13 PM
T
TEXASLEFTY Online Content
THF Whiskey Sommelier
Online Content
THF Whiskey Sommelier
T
Had a Llama come up to a tank we were Dove hunting at, no fences on this piece of property and it didn’t belong to the land owner.

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by Chunky Monkey
Never been to a camping world. I prefer Dick's to be honest.
Re: Strangest Event While Hunting [Re: BenBob] #8585896 04/26/22 04:44 PM
B
BenBob Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
B
Was sitting in an elevated blind before light early one morning with my younger brother. He was probably 7 or 8 and I was 17. We had gotten comfortable and all of a sudden we hear the wire fence dividing our place from the next place over groan like someone was climbing over it. I looked out a window of the blind and could not see anything, as it was still real dark. We heard the fence screech again and then heard some footsteps. Then, the blind started shaking like someone was climbing up the ladder. I opened the door and said, "I don't think so." The shaking paused, then became more hurried as whoever it was hurried down the ladder. Whoever it was hit the ground and hurriedly hoofed it back to the fence and went back over the fence a lot faster this time than last. It was sort of funny until my little brother, who always had a nervous stomach threw open the door and puked down the ladder. We sat longer than normal that morning, but still could not avoid climbing down the ladder covered with vomit.

Re: Strangest Event While Hunting [Re: BenBob] #8585972 04/26/22 06:28 PM
D
dkershen Offline
Rev Dave
Rev Dave
D
I was guiding on our ranch about 10 years back and had just dropped a couple of hunters into their blinds for the evening hunt when a low flying helicopter made a beeline for our wheat field. The pilot started chasing the herd of mule deer that had bedded in our wheat at a very very low altitude until he herded them completely off the ranch and down into the adjoining Canyon. To say I was pissed is an understatement. mad I filed a report with the Game Warden and FAA. What was really bizarre was the tail numbers on the copter didn't come back as registered when I checked the online FAA website. So either I wrote them down wrong or the FAA has terrible record keeping, or someone was breaking a TON of aviation laws that day. hammer

To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first and call whatever you hit the target.

www.NewHopeEquine.com - Health and Healing through Horses.
Re: Strangest Event While Hunting [Re: BenBob] #8585981 04/26/22 06:50 PM
B
BenBob Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
B
Went to town during deer season one day to pick up some corn for feeders. Going back out to our place we went a back way where we were on a county maintained dirt road on the side of a pretty good size hill. We were driving slow with the entire bed of the truck piled high with sacks of corn. In front of us a group of Spanish goats started coming off the side of the hill going down. About the time we got even with where the goats went across the road and down the hill, an aoudad that was about half grown came off the hill and stood on the side of the road. We stopped to look at it through the back windshield and it gathered itself and looked like it was going to try to jump in the back of the truck. About the time it was just fixing to jump, I pulled forward, as I did not want it in the back of my truck. I am sure it was someones pet, but I did not want it to be mine. It would chase us until I stopped and then it would gather itself to jump and I would pull forward. It did this about 4 times. I am guessing that he was a corn-fed aoudad. We still laugh about that happening.

Re: Strangest Event While Hunting [Re: BenBob] #8586008 04/26/22 07:17 PM
onlysmith&wesson Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Nothing strange or unexplainable about a guy and a gal parked in a lease gate entrance, buck naked getting it on in the bed of a pick up truck while I was Spring Turkey hunting so I can't tell it on this thread.

An unethical shot is one you take, that you know you shouldn't.
Re: Strangest Event While Hunting [Re: onlysmith&wesson] #8586013 04/26/22 07:35 PM
skinnerback Offline
THF Celebrity Chef
THF Celebrity Chef
peep

Re: Strangest Event While Hunting [Re: BenBob] #8586022 04/26/22 07:40 PM
Creekrunner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
BenBob's auodad experience reminded me - A very pissed off elephant cow in Zimbabwe took after our Land Cruiser. She wanted to get in the back, but it wasn't for corn or to be a pet. She wanted to stomp all our azzes. The PH would stop after a ways of going at high speed and here she'd come again. He thought it was hilarious. The trackers in the back, not so much.

...and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. Gen. 1:28
Re: Strangest Event While Hunting [Re: onlysmith&wesson] #8586024 04/26/22 07:44 PM
B
BenBob Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
B
Originally Posted by onlysmith&wesson
Nothing strange or unexplainable about a guy and a gal parked in a lease gate entrance, buck naked getting it on in the bed of a pick up truck while I was Spring Turkey hunting so I can't tell it on this thread.

Did either respond to any of your calls?

Re: Strangest Event While Hunting [Re: BenBob] #8586040 04/26/22 07:56 PM
H
hook_n_line Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
H
Wait until someone releases their bunch of emus and ostriches into the wild without your knowledge. Then on your way you to the stand you hear another 2 legged creature keeping pace with you. You can't see it until you get about 20 yards out of the brush. Now your making a mad dash for the blind and its pace has also picked up. He was only thinking your were going to feed him. rofl.

Sometimes it's hard being me! But somebody has to do it.
Re: Strangest Event While Hunting [Re: BenBob] #8586065 04/26/22 08:35 PM
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted by BenBob
Originally Posted by onlysmith&wesson

Did either respond to any of your calls?

Calls? I was very, very quiet.

Re: Strangest Event While Hunting [Re: BenBob] #8586066 04/26/22 08:41 PM
J
JCB Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
J
I am sure I can think of more crazy stuff later but here is one that pops into my head from last year.

It was early bow season and I was walking to my stand about an hour before day break. It was completely pitch black darkness with no moon at all and I was not using a flash light either. I knew the roads and trails pretty well so I was determined to get to the stand without being seen.

I had probably gone about a half mile from my ATV and I got a whiff of something that I had smelled a thousand times. I stopped right in my tracks and told myself "thats the smell of a Boar and he is damn close". I reached up and flipped my cap light on and there he was right in the middle of my road just looking at me maybe 10'-12' away. I quickly drew my pistol and we had a stand off for a short while. He was right in my way and I really didnt want to shoot him unless I had to because I didnt want to spook anything before daylight.

Once it was clear he wasnt moving and wasnt scared I kept the pistol pointed at him and took a wide path around him keeping my eye on him the whole time. He never moved and never made a sound. He just watched me go around him. 999 times out of 1000 they will run before you ever get that close to them. I have no idea what was on his mind but he is really lucky he lived to see daybreak that morning.

Re: Strangest Event While Hunting [Re: BenBob] #8586285 04/27/22 01:39 AM
Adchunts Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
Was around 12-13 years old, and my brother (16-17) and I were walking across the top of a mountain early one morning to deer hunt. Cheap K-mart flashlights that barely made a dent in the dark. Hodgepodge clothing that was either too big, too small, or not warm enough. We were ate up with deer hunting, and went every chance we got. As we crested the top, something very close to us sneezed…like a human. We weren’t freaked out at all, and absolutely didn’t immediately sit down butt to butt, load our guns, and jump at every noise until daylight. Never did figure out what sneezed.

Re: Strangest Event While Hunting [Re: BenBob] #8586313 04/27/22 02:11 AM
Reloder28 Online Content
Pro Tracker
Online Content
Pro Tracker
Was fishing on Lake Livingston, enjoying the shade under the very large canopy of a tree. Suddenly this very large bird came crashing thru the limbs making a serious raucous. Being a very tall tree, we looked up and watched the bird pretty much pinball down every limb. Once the bird cleared the canopy and hit the water……it did not make a single ripple, not so much as a bubble. I still wonder about that to this day. That was 1974.

Last edited by Reloder28; 04/27/22 02:13 AM.

[b][/b]
Re: Strangest Event While Hunting [Re: BenBob] #8586387 04/27/22 03:50 AM
10 Gauge Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
I don’t know if you would consider it an event, it didn’t “happen to me”. But I saw something pretty strange that this thread reminds me of. When I was living on post at Fort Hood, they were very strict about guns and weapons in the home. Probably because of the shootings down there. Every other post I have been to, you just register your guns on post at the same place as you register your car. Fort hood had a little more deliberate process that required the commanders signature on some paperwork, basically your commander had to assume risk of you keeping a rifle. And besides that, you were required to use a guide to hunt the military reservation with a rifle strictly so he can decide for you what is a safe shot, and what is not a safe shot. I just as soon not even hunt. So not wanting to get caught carrying a gun on and off post, I resorted to shooting an air rifle where I could hunt off post. Sent some emails to the bell county game warden, next thing you know I very explicitly had permission to do some varmint hunting in the Lampasas River bottoms with my .25 cal “pellet gun” that passed the test coming and going through the gates lol.

Anyway I used to park down there by the highway 195 bridge that crosses the Lampasas River, if I remember right that’s in a unincorporated area called “Ding Dong”. The river was too deep on the west/northwest side of the bridge, you have to swim or take a canoe. But you could wade the river for miles on the east/southeast side and I used to wear the bass out all through there. And one big deep undercut through that area caught some big cats wading and setting trot lines.

But anyway that bridge had some graffiti under it, mostly a lot of profanity, KKK stuff, satanic symbolism etc all over under there plus a few fire pits. One day I actually found the corpse of a puppy, maybe a year old, disembowled with a pentagram set up in bones probably chicken bones, and all that crap right under the damn bridge. Gave me the Heebie Jeebies but it wasn’t enough to deter me from going back. I didn’t even call the law or tell my wife, for fear of my wife forbidding me to go back or popping up on the blotter at work and having to explain myself. That might get my little bridge on the “black list” forbidding any soldiers to return.

Used to run around down there all night frog gigging too. No big bullfrogs down there but plenty of them, have filled buckets with them. Fry in heavy batter to make up for the small size lol.

Last edited by Bryan C. Heimann; 04/27/22 03:54 AM.

1 Thessalonians 4:11-14
Re: Strangest Event While Hunting [Re: BenBob] #8586399 04/27/22 04:17 AM
S
Sewer rat Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
S
I was young maybe 6 or 7. We lived in New Mexico and hunted on public land in the Guadalupe mountains. We were camping with RVs in a remote area. Me and my parents in our RV and their friends in another RV parked beside ours. I was too young to hunt that year so they gave me some binoculars and I was the lookout. From our camping spot I spotted something shiny on a distant hill. I could see the glare from it but couldn't tell what it was. All week while there I pestered my parents to let me go hike over there and see what it was but they wouldn't let me they aid it was too far. We eventually packed up and left and their friends stayed another couple days. After we left their friend spotted the glare and decided to hike over and check it out. Turns out it was a dead dude and the glare was his canteen. I never really heard the whole story but he never was identified. I am sure glad I didn't go discover that at 7 years old.

Re: Strangest Event While Hunting [Re: JCB] #8586405 04/27/22 04:42 AM
10 Gauge Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Originally Posted by JCB
I am sure I can think of more crazy stuff later but here is one that pops into my head from last year.

It was early bow season and I was walking to my stand about an hour before day break. It was completely pitch black darkness with no moon at all and I was not using a flash light either. I knew the roads and trails pretty well so I was determined to get to the stand without being seen.

I had probably gone about a half mile from my ATV and I got a whiff of something that I had smelled a thousand times. I stopped right in my tracks and told myself "thats the smell of a Boar and he is damn close". I reached up and flipped my cap light on and there he was right in the middle of my road just looking at me maybe 10'-12' away. I quickly drew my pistol and we had a stand off for a short while. He was right in my way and I really didnt want to shoot him unless I had to because I didnt want to spook anything before daylight.

Once it was clear he wasnt moving and wasnt scared I kept the pistol pointed at him and took a wide path around him keeping my eye on him the whole time. He never moved and never made a sound. He just watched me go around him. 999 times out of 1000 they will run before you ever get that close to them. I have no idea what was on his mind but he is really lucky he lived to see daybreak that morning.

Talk about will power and self control. I probably would have shot him.

1 Thessalonians 4:11-14
Re: Strangest Event While Hunting [Re: BenBob] #8586408 04/27/22 04:49 AM
skinnerback Offline
THF Celebrity Chef
THF Celebrity Chef
In a tower blind in the early AM deer hunting, was still dark. I was napping before first light. I feel/hear someone climbing up the ladder to the blind, woke me up. It was mojados, I kept quiet and still. There was no latch on the inside so they were able to open the door. When the door opened I cocked my 22 pistol and aimed between his eyes when I hit my head lamp. Scared the absolute chit out of him. They swung/jumped off that ladder like monkeys and I heard them hollering and running through the brush for probably 3 minutes. I heard chingow a few times. roflmao

Re: Strangest Event While Hunting [Re: BenBob] #8586411 04/27/22 05:23 AM
Sniper John Offline
gumshoe
gumshoe
Don't know that it falls under strangest, but I was certainly in disbelief. On the way to the lease evening before opening morning, I had some driveshaft/ujoint trouble with my jeep or something like that I had to deal with. I arrived to the lease opening morning just as the sun was rising. Fortunately my stand was the first one off the road driving into the lease so I knew I would not disturb anyone. Through the gate, I parked, did not go to camp, and double timed it on foot to my tower stand. I climbed the ladder opened the door and some guy with a rifle is sitting in one of my two chairs. It was one of the other hunters on the lease that I did not know very well. He said he did not see me in camp so thought I would not mind. I was like "But dude, it's opening morning and you have your own stand!". He had a real nice stand/feeder setup too. He started to get down, but I told him he was not going to walk through my and other's hunting areas during opening morning prime to get to hi stand. So I let him just sit there and watch me hunt. It was a very awkward quiet morning hunt.

Re: Strangest Event While Hunting [Re: Sniper John] #8586435 04/27/22 10:06 AM
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted by Sniper John
Don't know that it falls under strangest, but I was certainly in disbelief. On the way to the lease evening before opening morning, I had some driveshaft/ujoint trouble with my jeep or something like that I had to deal with. I arrived to the lease opening morning just as the sun was rising. Fortunately my stand was the first one off the road driving into the lease so I knew I would not disturb anyone. Through the gate, I parked, did not go to camp, and double timed it on foot to my tower stand. I climbed the ladder opened the door and some guy with a rifle is sitting in one of my two chairs. It was one of the other hunters on the lease that I did not know very well. He said he did not see me in camp so thought I would not mind. I was like "But dude, it's opening morning and you have your own stand!". He had a real nice stand/feeder setup too. He started to get down, but I told him he was not going to walk through my and other's hunting areas during opening morning prime to get to hi stand. So I let him just sit there and watch me hunt. It was a very awkward quiet morning hunt.

I bet the breakfast conversation was great.

Re: Strangest Event While Hunting [Re: BenBob] #8586449 04/27/22 10:41 AM
R
RattlesnakeDan Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
R
Many years ago I was bowhunting antelope in the Pawnee Grasslands of Colorado. I was probably 50 miles from any 2 horse town and had walked miles through the prairie glassing and stalking. Down in one small coulee/ ravine I see a small car and for the life of me can't figure out who would be out here in a car. All kinds of stuff went through my mind as I made my way down to see if there was someone in the car. Nobody was there but the windows were down so I snuck around the ravine to look for someone and heard some noise coming out of a small depression. This skinny little very white guy was on top of this very large very white woman. She had to be 400 lbs and he was about 120 lbs. going at it on a blanket under the sun. Eeesh, wished I hadn't seen that but couldn't help laughing all the way out thinking she was going to go home sunburned except for a white outline of that skinny little guy etched in white from head to toe. And him thinking he was so far from civilization there was no chance of being caught just to have some guy standing there with a bow in his hand.

Just like Jesus, sometimes you gotta kill some hogs.
Lone Star Mesquite . com
RattleSnake Dan's Shredding Service
Re: Strangest Event While Hunting [Re: Sniper John] #8586505 04/27/22 12:37 PM
S
spacejunkie Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
S
Originally Posted by Sniper John

I was wishing the story would end with you saying you shot a double drop tine ten pointer will he sat there and watched.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide