Forums46
Topics537,925
Posts9,730,749
Members87,051
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Why Isn’t There a Popular .325 Magnum?? [Re: SRPI89] #8584375 04/24/22 01:56 PM
10 Gauge Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Another good thread lost to the creedmoor. This is why we don’t give a damn about, orjust hate, the 6.5 Creedmoor. Next thing you know “oh well the .260 Remington is just as good”. “No it’s not”. “Remington didn’t support it”. “Well the cartridge geometry”. Blah Blah Blah.

A guy could honestly just read this forum long enough and make an argument for or against it and really appear to know what he is talking about. Yet have no idea or experience with them because it always comes back to the creedmoor. Good grief

Last edited by Bryan C. Heimann; 04/24/22 01:56 PM.

1 Thessalonians 4:11-14
Re: Why Isn’t There a Popular .325 Magnum?? [Re: QMC SW/EXW] #8584383 04/24/22 02:02 PM
T
TAB Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
T
Originally Posted by QMC SW/EXW
Originally Posted by FiremanJG
Remington did not offer a 140 gr bullet, with a G-1 BC over .550

As I already stated, THAT IS A MOOT POINT. I am talking about the platform and not the individual rounds. Are you really so obtuse that you don't grasp that the Creed really has NOTHING over the 260 Rem if they are loaded with the same bullet? Look at the loading data. All someone needed to do was take the existing platform and offer a different load. But they didn't take that route because they saw an opportunity to sell a lot of new rifles and new ammo and that is why the marketing hype came around. Listen carefully: THE CREED FILLED A NICHE THAT DID NOT ACTUALLY EXIST!!!!!

They succeeded in separating a lot of people from their $$$ with a really slick advertising and marketing campaign. Either you see it or you are blind. I'm betting you're blind. I have a Rem 700 Classic in 6.5x55 Swede and there is NOT one thing the Creed will ever do better than the Swede and considering the Swede has a bigger case I can actually best any loading the Creed has. The Swede has been around since 1894 and has always been very popular in both Europe and Africa, places I doubt you have ever been.

And, as I previously noted, Americans (like you) tend to think only America can produce good rounds when in fact Europe has been doing it for years. The whole gist of this thread is a round in .325 (8mm) and Europe has been producing great 8mm chamberings for well over a century and the same can be said for 6.5mm chamberings. You fell for the Creed hype, I won't because I have the ability to think.

The creedmoor is totally different than a 260 the throat and freebore has been designed for optimal performance the 260 or any other 6.5 variant has too much of the bearing surface burried into the case body taking up room for powder.

I understand where your going, however the creedmoor is a standard that was set and supplied with copious amounts and quality bullets. Remington half azzed the 260 they really were lazy by necking down a 308 case whoa what a mind blow.. then had to keep the oal short so it worked in a sa.. same with the 6mm Remington.

While it may be slightly an improvement, by looking at load data the proof is seen and observed on the range and the matches where most all go the creedmoor route. Its proven and available. No hand loading required and Hornady is putting out ammo in some cases is very difficult to duplicate as a hand load.

Re: Why Isn’t There a Popular .325 Magnum?? [Re: 10 Gauge] #8584384 04/24/22 02:02 PM
E
Erny Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
E
Originally Posted by Bryan C. Heimann
Another good thread lost to the creedmoor. This is why we don’t give a damn about, orjust hate, the 6.5 Creedmoor. Next thing you know “oh well the .260 Remington is just as good”. “No it’s not”. “Remington didn’t support it”. “Well the cartridge geometry”. Blah Blah Blah.

A guy could honestly just read this forum long enough and make an argument for or against it and really appear to know what he is talking about. Yet have no idea or experience with them because it always comes back to the creedmoor. Good grief

X2….the Creedmoor guys will wear you out.

Re: Why Isn’t There a Popular .325 Magnum?? [Re: 10 Gauge] #8584388 04/24/22 02:09 PM
T
TAB Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
T

I have shot 6mm, and the 260 Remington since forever.. I no longer shoot them because the availability of quality brass. This isn’t so much Creedmoor fans as much as it is an industry that commercially supported the case.

But this is my opinion and I shoot quite a bit, enough to cook several barrels a year and what I look for personally is supportability in terms of can I get brass, bullets for it.

My 260 was fickle, and the brass was done in 3-4 loads. I’m running around load 14 on my Peterson brass.

Re: Why Isn’t There a Popular .325 Magnum?? [Re: QMC SW/EXW] #8584497 04/24/22 05:53 PM
J.G. Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity

As I already stated, THAT IS A MOOT POINT. I am talking about the platform and not the individual rounds. Are you really so obtuse that you don't grasp that the Creed really has NOTHING over the 260 Rem if they are loaded with the same bullet? Look at the loading data. All someone needed to do was take the existing platform and offer a different load. But they didn't take that route because they saw an opportunity to sell a lot of new rifles and new ammo and that is why the marketing hype came around. Listen carefully: THE CREED FILLED A NICHE THAT DID NOT ACTUALLY EXIST!!!!!

They succeeded in separating a lot of people from their $$$ with a really slick advertising and marketing campaign. Either you see it or you are blind. I'm betting you're blind. I have a Rem 700 Classic in 6.5x55 Swede and there is NOT one thing the Creed will ever do better than the Swede and considering the Swede has a bigger case I can actually best any loading the Creed has. The Swede has been around since 1894 and has always been very popular in both Europe and Africa, places I doubt you have ever been.

And, as I previously noted, Americans (like you) tend to think only America can produce good rounds when in fact Europe has been doing it for years. The whole gist of this thread is a round in .325 (8mm) and Europe has been producing great 8mm chamberings for well over a century and the same can be said for 6.5mm chamberings. You fell for the Creed hype, I won't because I have the ability to think.

Your all caps and bold is not necessary. Clearly you're upset. The typical teacher, too busy talking to shut up and listen to someone else. Or in this case, failure to read. Seen it my whole life with family members that were teachers. They ask a question someone just finished answering because they didn't listen.

It's not a moot point. The .260 with 120's and 130's cannot hunt or shoot as far as it could with a 140 gr. And Remington did not offer that.

Again, you failed reading comprehension. I burned out a .260 Rem barrel of my own, and have hand loaded for many others. I know what it can do better than you can most likely. I have data on both cartridges, with 5 different bullets and to distances of 1400 yards, in temperatures from 20°F to 110°F, and several different powders in each cartridge. I have made both cartridges send a 140 gr at 2800 fps. This is the second time I have had to write this. Also for the second time, factory ammo will not do that. But factory 6.5 Creedmoor will do more than factory .260 Rem. That is what you let go right over your head. Hornady supported their cartridge with the right ammo. The Creedmoor did fill a niche that did not exist. To be competitive at long range precision Rifle matches a person had to be a hand loader. If you were not, you pretty much had one option, the .308 Win. And the .308 Win against 6mm and 6.5mm, with equally skilled shooters, will not win. So Hornady created competitive ammo, available on the shelf. Used to be, you could shoot matches in Texas, Oklahoma and Louisiana and see the same 60 guys you know. Now, you'll be around a bunch of strangers. The sport has probably grown ten fold, or more, in the last ten years.

Stay happy with your 6.5 Swede. Nothing wrong with it. But, I also have had hundreds of people bring their rifles out to shoot with me for the day. There's no telling how many 6.5 Creedmoors have been out. I have not counted. But, exactly zero 6.5 Swedes, zero. So say it's useless, marketing hype, whatever makes you sleep better. But facts are learned on rifle ranges. And for a person to pay me to help them get data and learn how to get hits to 800 yards, and I do it. Have done it countless times with people shooting mass production 6.5 Creedmoor ammo. And they went back home ecstatic. Had they brought out 6.5 Swede or .260 Rem they would have got the same level of attention and help. But no one has brought out a 6.5 Swede.

Lots of good innovation comes from many countries. My dad was a manufacturing engineer for 37 years. He told me long ago, the best, and most innovations come from the U.S.A. China and Russia are good at stealing ideas, always have been. And I also know for a fact, Americans like 30 cals. That is something that inset in this country with the 1903 Springfield, followed by the Garand, followed by the M-14 and the 1952 invention of the .308 Winchester. I'll repeat myself again, since it alludes you, .325 did not catch on here. Of course it works, it just did not catch on. What the military uses has always caused a drive in retail sales, so the .338 Lapua Mag is still fairly popular. People that pay attention to innovation know the .338 Norma Mag does the job better. What's the parent country of that cartridge? That would be Norma of Sweden. The U.S people that do not care about country of origin, they care about performance and availability of components or ammo. And now the tables have turned. There are so many civilians loading, experimenting and shooting, the military is paying attention to what the civilians have learned and following suit.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Precision Rifle Instruction
Memberships and Classes Available
Re: Why Isn’t There a Popular .325 Magnum?? [Re: SRPI89] #8584588 04/24/22 09:21 PM
B
bluetopper Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B
325 Magnum? There's a 327 Federal Magnum, does that count? smirk

Uprisings started or quelled, tornadoes rerouted, elections rigged.
Re: Why Isn’t There a Popular .325 Magnum?? [Re: SRPI89] #8584809 04/25/22 04:15 AM
T
Tactical Cowboy Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
Back to the original subject:

I always thought the 325 WSM was a pretty cool cartridge. But, it won’t fly too well out of my 30 cal can. At this point, I don’t have a real need for anything more than a .30, and I like to shoot with my silencer. That in itself is enough to steer me away from a 325 rifle.

The secret to a long life is to try not to shorten it.
Re: Why Isn’t There a Popular .325 Magnum?? [Re: J.G.] #8584823 04/25/22 05:22 AM
10 Gauge Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker

Your all caps and bold is not necessary. Clearly you're upset. The typical teacher, too busy talking to shut up and listen to someone else. Or in this case, failure to read. Seen it my whole life with family members that were teachers. They ask a question someone just finished answering because they didn't listen.

It's not a moot point. The .260 with 120's and 130's cannot hunt or shoot as far as it could with a 140 gr. And Remington did not offer that.

Again, you failed reading comprehension. I burned out a .260 Rem barrel of my own, and have hand loaded for many others. I know what it can do better than you can most likely. I have data on both cartridges, with 5 different bullets and to distances of 1400 yards, in temperatures from 20°F to 110°F, and several different powders in each cartridge. I have made both cartridges send a 140 gr at 2800 fps. This is the second time I have had to write this. Also for the second time, factory ammo will not do that. But factory 6.5 Creedmoor will do more than factory .260 Rem. That is what you let go right over your head. Hornady supported their cartridge with the right ammo. The Creedmoor did fill a niche that did not exist. To be competitive at long range precision Rifle matches a person had to be a hand loader. If you were not, you pretty much had one option, the .308 Win. And the .308 Win against 6mm and 6.5mm, with equally skilled shooters, will not win. So Hornady created competitive ammo, available on the shelf. Used to be, you could shoot matches in Texas, Oklahoma and Louisiana and see the same 60 guys you know. Now, you'll be around a bunch of strangers. The sport has probably grown ten fold, or more, in the last ten years.

Stay happy with your 6.5 Swede. Nothing wrong with it. But, I also have had hundreds of people bring their rifles out to shoot with me for the day. There's no telling how many 6.5 Creedmoors have been out. I have not counted. But, exactly zero 6.5 Swedes, zero. So say it's useless, marketing hype, whatever makes you sleep better. But facts are learned on rifle ranges. And for a person to pay me to help them get data and learn how to get hits to 800 yards, and I do it. Have done it countless times with people shooting mass production 6.5 Creedmoor ammo. And they went back home ecstatic. Had they brought out 6.5 Swede or .260 Rem they would have got the same level of attention and help. But no one has brought out a 6.5 Swede.

Lots of good innovation comes from many countries. My dad was a manufacturing engineer for 37 years. He told me long ago, the best, and most innovations come from the U.S.A. China and Russia are good at stealing ideas, always have been. And I also know for a fact, Americans like 30 cals. That is something that inset in this country with the 1903 Springfield, followed by the Garand, followed by the M-14 and the 1952 invention of the .308 Winchester. I'll repeat myself again, since it alludes you, .325 did not catch on here. Of course it works, it just did not catch on. What the military uses has always caused a drive in retail sales, so the .338 Lapua Mag is still fairly popular. People that pay attention to innovation know the .338 Norma Mag does the job better. What's the parent country of that cartridge? That would be Norma of Sweden. The U.S people that do not care about country of origin, they care about performance and availability of components or ammo. And now the tables have turned. There are so many civilians loading, experimenting and shooting, the military is paying attention to what the civilians have learned and following suit.

I don’t care either way about anything Creedmoor but there is just too much logic in that post to ignore it. I appreciate it.

Last edited by Bryan C. Heimann; 04/25/22 05:23 AM.

Re: Why Isn’t There a Popular .325 Magnum?? [Re: SRPI89] #8585007 04/25/22 02:43 PM
T
txtrophy85 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
I remember when the .260 remington came out.....Remington and Outdoor Life's Jim Carmichael were touting it as .270 performance in a short action cartridge, which was then amended to NEAR .270 performance in a short action cartridge. IIRC very few rifles were chambered in the .260, as typical with Remington they failed to support their offerings with any substantial marketing and it fizzled.

I also remember when the 6.5 Creedmoor came out......it was originally designed as a target cartridge and if memory serves was loaded with a 120 grain bullet. Buddy of mine started using one in 08' or 09' long back before it was trendy.

As previously mentioned, Hornady really got behind it as they did with several other cartridge's at the time ( the .338 RCM, the .375 Ruger and the .308 Marlin were others ) but the Creedmoor's popularity blew them all out of the water. Its a testament to what marketing will do for a mass produced product.

For it is not the quarry that we truly seek, but the adventure.
Re: Why Isn’t There a Popular .325 Magnum?? [Re: SRPI89] #8585575 04/26/22 02:59 AM
HWY_MAN Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
I'm sure somebody has already mentioned it but the 8mm Mag is a damn good round. It can chunk heavy lead or fling some lighter loads. launch 200 grain Nosler Partition over 3,000 fps or 180's over 3300. Great caliber for deer and up.

Yes! A Weatherby does kill them deader.
Re: Why Isn’t There a Popular .325 Magnum?? [Re: HWY_MAN] #8585956 04/26/22 06:08 PM
T
TAB Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
T
Originally Posted by HWY_MAN
I'm sure somebody has already mentioned it but the 8mm Mag is a damn good round. It can chunk heavy lead or fling some lighter loads. launch 200 grain Nosler Partition over 3,000 fps or 180's over 3300. Great caliber for deer and up.

I used to neck 8mm rem mag down to 30 cal make a 300 Jarrett out of them and your right 8mm rem mag was bad azz as it was, but when you go 30 cal it gets even more wicked!

Re: Why Isn’t There a Popular .325 Magnum?? [Re: SRPI89] #8586073 04/26/22 08:48 PM
R
RJH1 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
R
Didn't read everything on this thread, sy this may have already been stated but here's my thoughts: I think by the time people step up over a 300 Magnum, the 325 is just not a big enough jump to make a difference so they go ahead and go to a 338. Kind of like when a 338's not big enough a 35 calibers probably not big enough either, so people just jump on up to 375. I honestly can't think of anything that I would shoot with a 325 that I would think a 300 was too small for, where I might shoot something with a 338 that I thought of 300 might be on the small side for. I'm not real sure what that would be either though LOL, I would probably go from a 300 to a 375 and skip the 338 as well

Re: Why Isn’t There a Popular .325 Magnum?? [Re: SRPI89] #8586243 04/27/22 12:25 AM
10 Gauge Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
I think it may just come down to honest gun dealers. Every time I have seen somebody walk in to a gun store and try to buy a 300 win mag or heavier caliber rifle, the dudes behind the counter are like so you really want that much gun, and start talking about recoil and performance on game etc. I think them guys talk themselves out of a sale that way. And a lot of the new gun owners with a magnum gun flip it pretty quick, it’s not hard to find a good deal on a used magnum in decent shape. The 300 win mag gets supported because like it has been said, it’s a military cartridge with a ton of good bullets already fueled by the .308 and 30-06. And the 7 mag has little more recoil than the 30-06, I can’t hardly tell the difference anyway, it is a great cartridge and not over kill for anything deer sized and plenty for bigger animals.

It’s really hard to sell a new big game cartridge because there are already so many fantastic big game cartridges. Of course the creedmoor is a mild cartridge that works pretty good, dealers can recommend it to new shooters with a clear conscience vs a exotic new magnum round.

Re: Why Isn’t There a Popular .325 Magnum?? [Re: 10 Gauge] #8586275 04/27/22 01:23 AM
J.G. Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
My 7 Rem Mag is too much gun on whitetail. I won't use it for that specific hunt. That's why the barrel has lasted so long. It shoots very tight, very far away. It's just too much gun on whitetail.

In my experience, long list of short action cartridges are all you need on whitetail.

And I agree, if you're going to cross the .308 bullet diameter line, you might as well go to .338"

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Re: Why Isn’t There a Popular .325 Magnum?? [Re: J.G.] #8586395 04/27/22 04:10 AM
10 Gauge Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
My 7 Rem Mag is too much gun on whitetail. I won't use it for that specific hunt. That's why the barrel has lasted so long. It shoots very tight, very far away. It's just too much gun on whitetail.

In my experience, long list of short action cartridges are all you need on whitetail.

And I agree, if you're going to cross the .308 bullet diameter line, you might as well go to .338"

6 of one and a half dozen of the other. There are a whole lot of good hunters out there that would disagree with you about the 7 mag. I don’t think it’s too much gun for anything except small game.

Re: Why Isn’t There a Popular .325 Magnum?? [Re: 10 Gauge] #8586458 04/27/22 11:13 AM
J.G. Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
I like taking home all the viable meat I can.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Re: Why Isn’t There a Popular .325 Magnum?? [Re: J.G.] #8586569 04/27/22 02:03 PM
T
Tactical Cowboy Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T

Shoot ‘em in the eyeball.

The secret to a long life is to try not to shorten it.
Re: Why Isn’t There a Popular .325 Magnum?? [Re: Tactical Cowboy] #8586591 04/27/22 02:31 PM
R
RJH1 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
R
Originally Posted by Tactical Cowboy

After only having shot deer that I kept with a bow for a few years, I killed one with a 308 and kept it this year. I couldn't believe how much meat I lost. I had forgot just how much meat a rifle will tear up. Probably going back to a bow for the foreseeable future, just so I can keep from losing so much meat. Well, that and I like shooting them with a bow better

Re: Why Isn’t There a Popular .325 Magnum?? [Re: Tactical Cowboy] #8586621 04/27/22 03:25 PM
U
unclebubba Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
U

Or you could shoot a 50 BMG. Aim for a near miss, and if you get close to the head, the pressure from the passing bullet will suck the eyeballs out of the skull and kill it! You won't lose an ounce of meat this way!

Re: Why Isn’t There a Popular .325 Magnum?? [Re: unclebubba] #8586642 04/27/22 04:03 PM
10 Gauge Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Originally Posted by unclebubba

Or you could shoot a 50 BMG. Aim for a near miss, and if you get close to the head, the pressure from the passing bullet will suck the eyeballs out of the skull and kill it! You won't lose an ounce of meat this way!

Hate to burst your bubble, a 50 BMG won’t even ripple the water unless you hit it.

Re: Why Isn’t There a Popular .325 Magnum?? [Re: Tactical Cowboy] #8586682 04/27/22 04:54 PM
J.G. Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity

Does I brainstem, if they're close enough. Really doesn't matter what you hit em with doing that.

Put some distance and/or wind, and I'm going to lungs. My 7 Rem Mag with 180's, and my doe hunting pard with his 7 Rem Mag with 168's, we each swore off the 7 Rem Mags for the whitetail doe hunt. I run my 7mm-08 A.I. and he runs a 7mm-08 for the last few years.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Re: Why Isn’t There a Popular .325 Magnum?? [Re: 10 Gauge] #8586753 04/27/22 08:12 PM
U
unclebubba Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
U
Originally Posted by unclebubba

Hate to burst your bubble, a 50 BMG won’t even ripple the water unless you hit it.

That was me, making fun of Keith Warren. He's an idiot.

Re: Why Isn’t There a Popular .325 Magnum?? [Re: SRPI89] #8586955 04/28/22 02:12 AM
10 Gauge Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Good one!

Re: Why Isn’t There a Popular .325 Magnum?? [Re: RJH1] #8587152 04/28/22 02:44 PM
S
SherpaPhil Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
S
Originally Posted by RJH1

After only having shot deer that I kept with a bow for a few years, I killed one with a 308 and kept it this year. I couldn't believe how much meat I lost. I had forgot just how much meat a rifle will tear up. Probably going back to a bow for the foreseeable future, just so I can keep from losing so much meat. Well, that and I like shooting them with a bow better

Where are you shooting them? Through the lungs on a broadside shot damages almost no meat, regardless of the caliber.

Re: Why Isn’t There a Popular .325 Magnum?? [Re: SherpaPhil] #8587231 04/28/22 04:30 PM
R
RJH1 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
R
Originally Posted by SherpaPhil
Originally Posted by RJH1

Where are you shooting them? Through the lungs on a broadside shot damages almost no meat, regardless of the caliber.

With a rifle I usually shoot them in the heart. And the one I shot was quartering away so I got the offside shoulder too. It blood spoiled a lot of meat and tore up a lot of stuff. With a bow, I don't lose any meat. Well maybe like a quarter inch around the hole or something but not very dang much, plus I'd rather bow hunt anyway

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide