Choctaw Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
C
Originally Posted by Texas Dan
Originally Posted by garyrapp55
Maturity is not measured in years

True. The question is, can a kid under the age of 17 or 18 ever be mature enough to be given access to firearms and ammo stored in the home?

Depends on if you did a good job parenting or not. I grew up in a small town and we all had access to firearms by the time we were in junior high. We had no problems because our parents had taught us gun safety and had taken the mystery out of firearms.

Re: Kids and handguns [Re: Tactical Cowboy] #8581200 04/19/22 04:22 PM
T
tenyearsgone Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
T
Originally Posted by Tactical Cowboy
Originally Posted by tenyearsgone
All of you who are stating that your kids are trustworthy with guns are still taking a chance. That chance is still greater even when compared to the red herring "I know adults who aren't mature enough". You have no idea that your kids are mature enough to handle access until after they prove it when they reach adulthood. With adults, it's a pretty solid assumption that they can handle firearms with the respect they deserve.

My kids are way too young to shoot and will never have unfettered access. I also will restrict access because I don't want them becoming "gun nuts" which I think is a problem with our culture.

So please tell me where to draw the line. “Trained LEOS” have pointed more guns at me during matches than kids because the aforementioned had to do so to “stay alive.”

The ones that point guns at people go home.

Probably because there’s fewer kids at matches……

It’s also a perfect example of a red herring. You’re trying to show that kids are as mature as adults. You can’t and that’s what makes children and adults different.

You can be mature for a (insert age), but a child will never be as mature as an adult.

Re: Kids and handguns [Re: Texas Dan] #8581219 04/19/22 04:57 PM
G
Gringo Bling Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
G
Why take a chance with children accessing guns? What is the practical upside? My oldest son is 18 has been shooting since he was 7, but there is no way in Hell that I'm giving him the combo to the safe or that he's allowed to have a gun in his room. A good friend of his on the school clay target team showed no signs whatsoever of depression. This boy knew gun safety and was by all accounts a good kid. Had his 12 gauge in the room and took his life in December 2019. Some can argue that he would have found another way to kill himself, but the facts are that if he didn't have access to that gun, he wouldn't have shot himself.

Re: Kids and handguns [Re: Gringo Bling] #8581241 04/19/22 05:28 PM
cbump Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by Gringo Bling
Why take a chance with children accessing guns? What is the practical upside? My oldest son is 18 has been shooting since he was 7, but there is no way in Hell that I'm giving him the combo to the safe or that he's allowed to have a gun in his room. A good friend of his on the school clay target team showed no signs whatsoever of depression. This boy knew gun safety and was by all accounts a good kid. Had his 12 gauge in the room and took his life in December 2019. Some can argue that he would have found another way to kill himself, but the facts are that if he didn't have access to that gun, he wouldn't have shot himself.

Your adult son isn’t allowed to have access to a gun? Dang

That suicide has nothing to do with that gun btw. You know that.

Re: Kids and handguns [Re: tenyearsgone] #8581252 04/19/22 05:42 PM
T
Tactical Cowboy Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
T
All of you who are stating that your kids are trustworthy with guns are still taking a chance. That chance is still greater even when compared to the red herring "I know adults who aren't mature enough". You have no idea that your kids are mature enough to handle access until after they prove it when they reach adulthood. With adults, it's a pretty solid assumption that they can handle firearms with the respect they deserve.

My kids are way too young to shoot and will never have unfettered access. I also will restrict access because I don't want them becoming "gun nuts" which I think is a problem with our culture.

So please tell me where to draw the line. “Trained LEOS” have pointed more guns at me during matches than kids because the aforementioned had to do so to “stay alive.”

It’s also a perfect example of a red herring. You’re trying to show that kids are as mature as adults. You can’t and that’s what makes children and adults different.

You can be mature for a (insert age), but a child will never be as mature as an adult.

No, I’m not. I’m simply stating painting every kid as being inherently reckless with a gun is a very broad brush.

I take a chance every time I handle a gun, knife, scissors, hammer, or eat by myself (choking kills people)..

Get the kids out there, get them acclimated, get them trained, and hope for the best. Or keep them distant from the real world.

The secret to a long life is to try not to shorten it.
Re: Kids and handguns [Re: cbump] #8581440 04/19/22 09:58 PM
U
unclebubba Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
U
Originally Posted by cbump

You do you, we’ll do us.

Yea, My 13 year old is already a gun nut!

Re: Kids and handguns [Re: Texas Dan] #8581524 04/20/22 12:04 AM
10 Gauge Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
You might think a kid mature enough to drive could handle a pistol. But then i remember how I drove when I was 16, haha

1 Thessalonians 4:11-14
Re: Kids and handguns [Re: 10 Gauge] #8581564 04/20/22 12:33 AM
S
scalebuster Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
Originally Posted by Bryan C. Heimann
You might think a kid mature enough to drive could handle a pistol. But then i remember how I drove when I was 16, haha

I carried a pistol in my truck when I was 16, I remember one afternoon in Brownwood, I had too much blood in my eyes to find my pistol under the seat. Things were happening fast and Luckily I had an axe in the toolbox that evened things up. It was 40 on 10, they were little Mexicans and we were playing ball for Permian. I was blind for a week in one eye, until I passed a piece of beer bottle glass out from under my left eye driving to work.

Re: Kids and handguns [Re: Tactical Cowboy] #8581575 04/20/22 12:43 AM
T
tenyearsgone Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
T

No, I’m not. I’m simply stating painting every kid as being inherently reckless with a gun is a very broad brush.

I take a chance every time I handle a gun, knife, scissors, hammer, or eat by myself (choking kills people)..

Get the kids out there, get them acclimated, get them trained, and hope for the best. Or keep them distant from the real world.

Every kid is inherently reckless with a gun. That's why they're kids.

Re: Kids and handguns [Re: Texas Dan] #8581650 04/20/22 03:23 AM
10 Gauge Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
I was not given a pistol to keep as a kid, but I was trusted with a buckmark .22 for target shooting by myself when we were out visiting someone where I could shoot. I think they did that for the same reason a lot of kids get phones, kept me outta their hair so they could visit. Never had an issue, it’s a good feeling to a kid to be trusted with a gun same as a tractor, boat, or car.

At age 17 when my stepdad ran off to shack up with some floozy, I shot the motor in every single one of his power tools. He made custom knives by hand, probably destroyed thousands of dollars worth of equipment. Lathe, several belt sanders/disk grinders, etc. I might not should have had access to guns at the time, might have even shot him had i the chance. Woman scorned has got nothing on the scorn of her boy lol.

Re: Kids and handguns [Re: Gringo Bling] #8581654 04/20/22 03:32 AM
T
txtrophy85 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T

At 18 years old, he can legally vote, join the armed forces and drive a car, not to mentioned legally purchase a long gun but he’s not trustworthy enough to have one in his room?

For it is not the quarry that we truly seek, but the adventure.
Re: Kids and handguns [Re: tenyearsgone] #8581662 04/20/22 03:58 AM
T
Tactical Cowboy Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
T
Every kid is inherently reckless with a gun. That's why they're kids.

If it makes you feel better to keep kids in their padded rooms, so be it. I’m glad I wasn’t your kid. Out of curiosity, would you/did you hand the keys of a vehicle to a newly licensed 16 year old driver to go out on their own?

Maybe more folks should read The Old Man and The Boy and take those teachings to heart.

The secret to a long life is to try not to shorten it.
Re: Kids and handguns [Re: Texas Dan] #8581682 04/20/22 08:55 AM
P
Papalote Offline
Tracker
Tracker
P
I had a Ruger SBH 44 magnum when I was 16. Long guns prior to that...22, .308, .30-'06, 12 ga..... Guns in our home were readily available in the closets until many were stolen. After that, they were hidden. We had no safe in the 70s. I have also been reloading since 14, the Mec 600 lived in my closet. I still have it.
I raised 3 girls. They lived in my home where a few guns were readily available. Never an issue.
Maturity and upbringing..

Re: Kids and handguns [Re: Texas Dan] #8581698 04/20/22 10:58 AM
Creekrunner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
The same discussion can be had about the other end of life. My father-in-law recently passed at 84. When he had his episode that sent him to in-patient hospice, he had his Browning .380 cocked and locked on the patio table. (He didn't have the hand strength to pull the hammer back in a hurry, or pull the double action.) He carried it with him when he...drove. scared

Every family is different. Blanket statements about all kids, ironically, shows the immaturity of the poster, no matter what their age. And, some probably don't have kids. Those are the biggest preachers on how you ought to do it.

Last edited by Creekrunner; 04/20/22 11:00 AM. Reason: Site computer won't allow any reference to a rooster.

...and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. Gen. 1:28
Re: Kids and handguns [Re: Texas Dan] #8581813 04/20/22 01:07 PM
C
Choctaw Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
C
Oh my, let's keep the guns way from the children but be sure to give them motorcycles and cars to haul butt in.

Both of my sons received ARs on their 15th birthdays. Ten years later they have yet to have any accidents. I guess they were just lucky to escape their childhood unscathed.

Re: Kids and handguns [Re: txtrophy85] #8581843 04/20/22 01:47 PM
P
patriot07 Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
P
Originally Posted by txtrophy85

At 18 years old, he can legally vote, join the armed forces and drive a car, not to mentioned legally purchase a long gun but he’s not trustworthy enough to have one in his room?

Adam Lanza was 20 when he took his parent's guns and shot up an elementary school full of kids, killing 20 of them and 6 staff members. Just because they've reached a magical age doesn't mean they're ready to be given access to any gun the parents owns.

Re: Kids and handguns [Re: patriot07] #8581850 04/20/22 01:54 PM
C
Choctaw Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
C
Originally Posted by patriot07

Adam Lanza was 20 when he took his parent's guns and shot up an elementary school full of kids, killing 20 of them and 6 staff members. Just because they've reached a magical age doesn't mean they're ready to be given access to any gun the parents owns.

No joke. If they have mental health issues it's not a good idea to provide them with firearms. However, there are millions of normal kids for every Adam Lanza.

Re: Kids and handguns [Re: patriot07] #8581947 04/20/22 04:18 PM
T
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T

And in Sierra Leone they give AK’s to 10 year olds and have them shoot up Villages……what’s your point?

I’m not going to judge my kids and what they are allowed or not allowed to do based on the actions of the Adam Lanza’s and child soldiers in the world.

Which begs the question based off your statement….when is the “ magical age” where a person is ready to be given access to a gun? 18, 20,years old? Or 35,45 or 55?

Looks like we have quite a few on the fence Anti-gunners in our midst who don’t think we the people are mature enough to responsibly handle weapons

Btw, at 20 years old, I had my own truck, my own place, my own live in GF and ran my own business with 2 crews under me. I’ll be damned if anyone tells me I wasn’t mature enough to own a firearm and to even reference a case where a mentally deranged person committed a crime using a firearm shows an extreme lack of critical thinking

Re: Kids and handguns [Re: patriot07] #8582026 04/20/22 06:37 PM
10 Gauge Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker

That is a great point. And you know I might have went in there and wrecked my stepdads stuff at any age for running off like he did, except now I have the good sense to have sold it all, lol.

This has been a really good thread for me because it really makes you think.

It has proven to me what a slippery slope gun control really is. Did I just inadvertently advocate for gun control, with my post about shooting my stepdads stuff when he ran off? I was in boot camp 2 years later, did I mature that much in two years? Probably not. He probably deserved all of it any damn way.

Now I am forced to analyze my thought process, and I want to say we should trust a young man with a gun at the same age as we trust him to drive.

If you’re not mature enough to handle a pistol responsibly you damn sure shouldn’t be driving a car!

Re: Kids and handguns [Re: Texas Dan] #8582038 04/20/22 06:52 PM
cbump Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Man growing up, just like many of you, me and almost every friend I had could grab our 22s or shotguns and just take off and come back for lunch and dinner. No one ever thought we were going to go shoot ourselves or someone else.
I know there are outliers to every situation but I really feel like the majority of accidents are from the curious kids who It has been taboo their whole lives to go near the guns in house. One day they figure out how to get a hold of one because they’ve always been told they can’t, and an accident occurs because they don’t know how to properly handle them.
There is zero mystery to firearms for my kids. None. They don’t have to sneak around to hold a gun because they shoot them all the time.

It’s similar to the super sheltered kid that couldn’t watch rated R movies or do anything fun growing up. I personally know three just like that, that got freedoms as a young adult and went wild. All three got hooked on dope. Two are dead.

Re: Kids and handguns [Re: Creekrunner] #8582070 04/20/22 07:35 PM
skinnerback Online Content
THF Celebrity Chef
Online Content
THF Celebrity Chef
Originally Posted by Creekrunner
Every family is different. Blanket statements about all kids, ironically, shows the immaturity of the poster, no matter what their age. And, some probably don't have kids. Those are the biggest preachers on how you ought to do it.

Yep. People who haven't actually raised any kids, making statements about how inherently reckless all kids are with guns. Just dumb.

You are correct, every family and every kid is different. There is no set age that defines maturity. At 8 yrs old I had access to over 130 guns in my house. Was there ever an issue? No, because my Dad taught me better. At 13 I kept a shotgun/rifle/ammo in my room, and went hunting by myself. I can't imagine being 18 and not being trusted with a gun, talk about sheltered. At 18 I had my own place, live in girlfriend, worked 2 jobs, and had a bunch of guns (including a hand gun). I was taught to be responsible, and passed that on to my kids. Proud "gun nuts" here.

A lot of California in this thread.

Re: Kids and handguns [Re: RJH1] #8582113 04/20/22 08:40 PM
skinnerback Online Content
THF Celebrity Chef
Online Content
THF Celebrity Chef
Originally Posted by RJH1
My kid was shooting USPSA at the age of 9 with a 9mm pistol, and a 22 before that

That is awesome. up

When my two adult kids were early teenagers living at home, once they earned my trust they not only had access to a couple of my home defense handguns and shotgun, but they were pretty good with them as well.

Working on my youngest two now.

Re: Kids and handguns [Re: skinnerback] #8582120 04/20/22 08:50 PM
C
Choctaw Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
C
Originally Posted by skinnerback

Which is rather disconcerting considering this is a hunting forum.

Re: Kids and handguns [Re: Choctaw] #8582146 04/20/22 09:16 PM
T
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by Choctaw
Originally Posted by skinnerback

Which is rather disconcerting considering this is a hunting forum.

After reading this thread I can see how we ended up with our current administration.

Re: Kids and handguns [Re: Texas Dan] #8582260 04/21/22 12:07 AM
10 Gauge Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
No, that was fraud

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide