Print Thread
Has anyone tried the corn in a post hole? #8572591 04/06/22 04:45 AM
S
Sewer rat Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
S
Lots of the packages of hog bait suggest mixing it with corn, digging a post hole, and pouring it in and covering with dirt presumably urged a foot or two underground. I know hogs have amazing scent and will smell it but curious if this works well and is worth the trouble? I have a post hole digger for the skid steer so it wouldn’t be that hard to do.

Re: Has anyone tried the corn in a post hole? [Re: Sewer rat] #8572596 04/06/22 05:40 AM
U
unclebubba Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
U
popcorn

Re: Has anyone tried the corn in a post hole? [Re: Sewer rat] #8572611 04/06/22 09:31 AM
Sniper John Online Happy
gumshoe
Online Happy
gumshoe
For the last 20 years I have had a manual post hole digger stored under my tower deer stand. Probably have not used it in the last 5 years, but I have used it several times before when I had extra corn left over from filling my feeders. The idea is to dig a deep post hole and fill it with corn making it hard to get to and so keeping the hogs around longer being occupied trying to get it all. Same concept as a pig pipe. I have a pig pipe at my other lease that I also will fill up with any leftover corn. The post holes, like finding my pig pipe empty almost always seem to be dug up and corn gone by the next trip back to hunt. I seldom have had the hogs come to either while I was there hunting. I always just find the corn gone on the next trip to the lease. Thus why I have not had much desire to use that post hole digger over the last 5 years or so. Too much work for not much gain. But if your there all the time and not a weekend warrior thing, yea it works. I never covered the hole, but I doubt it matters.

Re: Has anyone tried the corn in a post hole? [Re: Sewer rat] #8572695 04/06/22 01:00 PM
R
reeder05 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
R
Yes, I have done it, and it works well at keeping the pigs in there for a little longer than just throwing corn on the ground.

But beware.. In our area, it is really soft sand. After they get it rooted out, it looks like a bomb went off.

I have used the packaged stuff before. Not sure that it works any better than just straight corn.

Originally Posted by DQ Kid
Wife has always wanted some Hard 8
Re: Has anyone tried the corn in a post hole? [Re: Sniper John] #8572730 04/06/22 01:41 PM
T
TXHOGSLAYER Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by Sniper John
For the last 20 years I have had a manual post hole digger stored under my tower deer stand. Probably have not used it in the last 5 years, but I have used it several times before when I had extra corn left over from filling my feeders. The idea is to dig a deep post hole and fill it with corn making it hard to get to and so keeping the hogs around longer being occupied trying to get it all. Same concept as a pig pipe. I have a pig pipe at my other lease that I also will fill up with any leftover corn. The post holes, like finding my pig pipe empty almost always seem to be dug up and corn gone by the next trip back to hunt. I seldom have had the hogs come to either while I was there hunting. I always just find the corn gone on the next trip to the lease. Thus why I have not had much desire to use that post hole digger over the last 5 years or so. Too much work for not much gain. But if your there all the time and not a weekend warrior thing, yea it works. I never covered the hole, but I doubt it matters.

This

LETS GO BRANDON
Re: Has anyone tried the corn in a post hole? [Re: Sewer rat] #8572739 04/06/22 01:52 PM
M
mikei Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
M
I've tried it a couple of times, but as others have said, I found it more trouble than it was worth, so I do hog logs exclusively.

Re: Has anyone tried the corn in a post hole? [Re: Sewer rat] #8572805 04/06/22 03:14 PM
C
cabosandinh Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
C
done it , waste of time

you better off doing 55 gal barrel with small holes
and a chain to keep it rolling around a post

Re: Has anyone tried the corn in a post hole? [Re: Sewer rat] #8572843 04/06/22 03:57 PM
D
der Teufel Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
D
It works kind of like a pipe or barrel, but if there are cattle on the property be wary. The hogs will leave a hole that can break a cow's leg.

I have two unwritten rules:
Re: Has anyone tried the corn in a post hole? [Re: Sewer rat] #8572861 04/06/22 04:13 PM
skinnerback Online Content
THF Celebrity Chef
Online Content
THF Celebrity Chef
Been a lot of years but yes, I've done it and it works. Straight corn in the ground, corn mixed with all kinds of attractants in the ground, and I also used to sour corn in 3 liter bottles. Take the lid off and drop into the hole, then bury it. That kept them on it quite a bit longer than just pouring corn into the hole. I mainly would do this when I set up on pigs at night. As mentioned, they will dig a big hole though so careful if there's livestock.

Re: Has anyone tried the corn in a post hole? [Re: Sewer rat] #8573006 04/06/22 06:54 PM
F
flintknapper Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
F
When digging post holes or otherwise burying corn.....just give careful thought to your purpose.

IF you plan to do so simply because it takes them longer to consume it....but YOU won't be there, then don't do it.

If your purpose is solely to help prevent other animals from quickly eating it, then yes it has benefits but pig pipes are probably better.

I use corn in post holes but for different reasons.

1. When a 'group' of hogs comes in (at a bait site you are hunting) the dominant hog will claim the hole and feed there. This keeps that hog in one location (after the pecking order has been sorted) allowing you a better shot often times.

2. Once a slight hole has been rooted out or the hog has eaten down 6"-8" it can no longer just reach down and get the corn. This is owing to a hogs anatomy.

So....they have to either put their front feet in the hole OR go down on their knees to eat it (which what they normally do). This typically provides for a good shot opportunity. As long as they are facing a direction that is favorable to you....there is no better position to have them in. They tend to make a circle around the bait hole eventually, so just wait if you don't have the perfect shot yet.

In soft soils they will turn a post hole into a mud hole, which can then be used to further hold them. Hand broadcast the corn right on the top of the Mud/Water mixture and they will trample it in trying to get to it. I have video of hogs rooting and picking out corn all night long in such holes. Raccoons also.

IF you can find cracked corn at your feed store it can be used to make it harder for hogs to pick up if you are going to broadcast corn. But the birds tend to find it quickly.

So post holes/burying corn can serve a purpose or two, but consider carefully if its worth your time and effort. Don't do it just because someone else did or you read it about somewhere. I do it....but for mostly different reasons than most.

https://youtu.be/xv3pHvOBWEI

https://youtu.be/3yWRlVSVcqg

Last edited by flintknapper; 04/06/22 06:59 PM.

Spartans ask not...how many, but where!
Re: Has anyone tried the corn in a post hole? [Re: Sewer rat] #8573138 04/06/22 09:24 PM
G
garyrapp55 Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
G
When I tried it, they dug it up and ate. Digging is work, I just use corn on the top of the ground anymore, works just as good.

Re: Has anyone tried the corn in a post hole? [Re: Sewer rat] #8573186 04/06/22 10:00 PM
C
cos Online Content
Pro Tracker
Online Content
Pro Tracker
C
I do it just inside my trap pens. Dig as deep as you can with post hole diggers. Caught lots of hogs in those pens. I prefer sour corn.

Re: Has anyone tried the corn in a post hole? [Re: Sewer rat] #8573400 04/07/22 06:01 AM
M
machinist Offline
Tracker
Tracker
M
All you need to put in the hole with the corn is a couple of packages of strawberry kool-aid or a couple of bottles of Big Red.

some people like silver and gold
I like brass and lead with a little powder in between
Re: Has anyone tried the corn in a post hole? [Re: cos] #8573405 04/07/22 08:25 AM
F
flintknapper Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Originally Posted by cos
I do it just inside my trap pens. Dig as deep as you can with post hole diggers. Caught lots of hogs in those pens. I prefer sour corn.

I don't do it inside pen traps because they will eventually wreck the hole digging it up and the most dominate hog will try to claim it anyway.

In the interest of catching the most hogs I use a hole with corn in the bottom and a cable stretched over it as a 'triggering device' for the gate.

I spread corn about the rear of the trap so that all hogs can enter and have something to feed on. But I don't want the little ones to trip any triggers before the larger ones enter. To that end...my cable is suspended above the hogs and the part near the hole laid on the ground. So a hog must 'root' up the cable to set off the gate closure. Since the dominant hog will usually claim the hole this gives time for the most hogs to enter, settle down.

You don't want only part of the group entering (usually young small ones) and tripping a bump type wire.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Spartans ask not...how many, but where!
Re: Has anyone tried the corn in a post hole? [Re: Sewer rat] #8573486 04/07/22 12:46 PM
H
hook_n_line Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
H
Nah. it encourages them to dig, They already tear up enough.

Sometimes it's hard being me! But somebody has to do it.
Re: Has anyone tried the corn in a post hole? [Re: Sewer rat] #8574406 04/08/22 03:02 PM
W
Whammer7 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
W
I would suggest using/making a pig pipe. The pig pipe will accomplish the same thing without the excavation.

If you can, I would suggest putting a cell camera on the pig pipe so you know when you have visitors

"Sometimes, too much to drink is barely enough"

Mark Twain
Re: Has anyone tried the corn in a post hole? [Re: Sewer rat] #8574617 04/08/22 09:20 PM
1860.colt Offline
emoji colt.45
emoji colt.45
scratch hmmm, dig a hole ta put corn in
so the hogs haveta dig a bigger hole ta get ta corn...
Then ya haveta fill in the hole...

i usedta grab 40-50# bag & just walk & throw corn...
Kept the hogs thar, had trail cams set up...
Hogs didnt tear things up....

flag

i'm postaddic
Re: Has anyone tried the corn in a post hole? [Re: 1860.colt] #8576751 04/12/22 02:54 PM
P
Porkypopper Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
P
Pig pipe 👍

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide