Print Thread
Hagerman #8494893 01/04/22 04:27 PM
O
O-TAG33 Offline OP
Green Horn
OP Offline
Green Horn
O
I just moved close to Hagerman and I am going to start putting in for the draw and was looking on any tips or advise for anyone that has hunted there? I am going to put in for deer, hogs and turkey. I want to go ahead and start scouting even if I do not get drawn. Does anyone have a good starting point or any advise? It is much appreciated.

Last edited by O-TAG33; 01/04/22 04:27 PM.
Re: Hagerman [Re: O-TAG33] #8494923 01/04/22 05:01 PM
W
WileyCoyote Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
W
We lived full time up the peninsula, and had owned the property for the previous 10 years on a Corps front lot & private boathouse place across Little Mineral from GranPappy's & around the corner from the Game Wardens' Station and the Elks Club for 11 years while I figured out my health issues. After I got enough better I joined the Hagerman Blue Bird Restoration program, Hagerman Refuge is 11,000+ acres and learned way more about the lake than I'd thought I would, as I'd hunted and fished Texoma for 30+ years while living in Carrollton. So, my advice would be to get involved with one or more of the Programs offered by Staff at Hagerman IMO is best way to learn the lake & the primo hunting & fishing. Trust Me FWIW a 18' boat is tooooo small and painted boat trailers will totally rot in 5 years ....think Salt Water ( Texoma is as salty as Galveston Bay) Deep Vee Bay Boats... and go find Jeff Lyle the Striper Guide and Listen to him and tell him Peggy & Ron said hello.

My wife's father was one of the SWBell Telephone Co Managers who 's work crews he brought down from OKC in the late 1930's to move and re routed ALL the telephone lines on the Texas side before the Lake was opened in 1942....and full of stories about the lake. Needless to say we miss the lake bigtime but I'll never go back and put up with Grayson County officials....and all the illicit late nite traffic problems.
Ron

It is TIME for Term Limits, cause Politicians are like childrens diapers and for the same reasons...Robin Williams

"These are the times that try men's soul's"...Thomas Paine

"Those who fail to learn from History are doomed to repeat it" ....Santayana
Re: Hagerman [Re: O-TAG33] #8494981 01/04/22 05:53 PM
E
Erny Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
E
Originally Posted by O-TAG33
I just moved close to Hagerman and I am going to start putting in for the draw and was looking on any tips or advise for anyone that has hunted there? I am going to put in for deer, hogs and turkey. I want to go ahead and start scouting even if I do not get drawn. Does anyone have a good starting point or any advise? It is much appreciated.

Your biggest obstacle is going to be getting drawn. The odds are long for any of the hunts at the Hag, now that deer, Turkey and pig are in the TPWD draw system. You could stop by the refuge headquarters and talk to them about hiking and scouting areas. Every time I have dealt with them they were very friendly and helpful.

Re: Hagerman [Re: O-TAG33] #8495442 01/05/22 04:09 AM
W
WileyCoyote Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
W
How did I miss seeing that Hagerman was now in the TPW Draw system??? Oh well ... I wonder if the Eastern Turkey that are solid in some areas up there are now also on the Draw...we had 'em running the creek bottom beside the house next door between our street and the Elk's Club...and when the lake flooded up over the Corps road in front of the house they'd feed in my front yard to get the corn I'd put out for the Canada Geese.
If nothing else ya'll should learn to fish for catfish in the Big Mineral Creek area before you cross the little bridge. A Texas State Record Blue came from that area from a pair of brothers who were using cut bait and a BIG Surf rod/reel setup. The previous record Blue had come from the steel over look platform in the Eisenhower Marina ...and the guy had to drag that 100lb'er up the cliff and onto the Park road behind him using a 6500 Abu Garcia and 40 lb line is what the DMNews reported.
Ron

Last edited by WileyCoyote; 01/05/22 04:20 AM.

It is TIME for Term Limits, cause Politicians are like childrens diapers and for the same reasons...Robin Williams

Re: Hagerman [Re: O-TAG33] #8547582 03/04/22 03:32 PM
L
Lone_Wolf Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
L
If they open up a rifle season in Grayson county as is proposed I've been told they will no longer hold a deer hunt there and it will revert to refuge for deer 24/7, 365.

Re: Hagerman [Re: Lone_Wolf] #8569464 04/01/22 05:22 PM
E
Erny Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
E
Originally Posted by Lone_Wolf
If they open up a rifle season in Grayson county as is proposed I've been told they will no longer hold a deer hunt there and it will revert to refuge for deer 24/7, 365.

My understanding is that proposal was withdrawn and it will remain archery only.

Re: Hagerman [Re: Erny] #8569595 04/01/22 09:12 PM
L
Lone_Wolf Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
L
Originally Posted by Erny
Originally Posted by Lone_Wolf

My understanding is that proposal was withdrawn and it will remain archery only.

Correct, 4 out of 5 deer hunters in the area were against the change based on public comment, and the public hearings. There was a petition with a few thousand signatures against it it believe.

Re: Hagerman [Re: O-TAG33] #8572239 04/05/22 06:14 PM
W
WileyCoyote Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
W
As I said in my earlier thread...to find out more info about Hagerman, join one of the programs dedicated to providing service or public info tours to visitors during walking tours of different parts of the Park.
Not surprised at maintaining the Archery Only WT hunts. I miss working with the Hagerman folks who come from all works of life, and all over that end of the Lake, and being outdoors in one of the most beautiful parks I've ever seen in Texas.
Ron

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide