Forums46
Topics537,759
Posts9,728,809
Members87,039
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Repealing Texas Property Taxes is a Progressive Trap [Re: dogcatcher] #8565494 03/27/22 05:36 AM
Bee'z Offline
The Beedazzler
The Beedazzler
Originally Posted by dogcatcher
Your ignorance exceeds your brilliance.

$10 to a worthy charity is what you word is worth..

[Linked Image]
Re: Repealing Texas Property Taxes is a Progressive Trap [Re: dogcatcher] #8565500 03/27/22 06:15 AM
Bee'z Offline
The Beedazzler
The Beedazzler

The suicided rate exceeds you too. At least I am honest.

[Linked Image]
Re: Repealing Texas Property Taxes is a Progressive Trap [Re: Bee'z] #8565501 03/27/22 06:18 AM
Bee'z Offline
The Beedazzler
The Beedazzler
Originally Posted by 2Beez

The suicided rate exceeds you too. At least I am honest.

[censored] U as you stand by a base

[Linked Image]
Re: Repealing Texas Property Taxes is a Progressive Trap [Re: MrMadMac] #8565502 03/27/22 06:25 AM
R
rickym Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
R
Well this is entertaining, a drunk guy arguing with himself cause a geriatric hurt his feelings. roflmao

Re: Repealing Texas Property Taxes is a Progressive Trap [Re: MrMadMac] #8565545 03/27/22 01:01 PM
S
soooo Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S

A state lottery would fix everything. trout

Re: Repealing Texas Property Taxes is a Progressive Trap [Re: soooo] #8565554 03/27/22 01:20 PM
P
Paluxy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
P
Originally Posted by soooo

A state lottery would fix everything. trout

Fuel taxes will take care of our roads....

It's never enough

Re: Repealing Texas Property Taxes is a Progressive Trap [Re: Stump_jumper] #8565570 03/27/22 01:51 PM
D
Ders26 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
D
Originally Posted by Stump_jumper
I don't have a problem with property taxes per se. The problem I have is basing them on current appraisals. Property taxes should be based on the purchase price plus a COLA adjustment. If you give local governments and school districts 10% more money every year they will find a way to spend it. I feel for people that escrow. With insurance and property taxes going up they are going to see big increases in monthly payments and will probably be caught off guard.

I think this idea has merit. You know what you are getting yourself into when you buy the house. I do not think sales tax alone can create the revenues needed without having significant negative affects.

Re: Repealing Texas Property Taxes is a Progressive Trap [Re: Stump_jumper] #8565580 03/27/22 02:06 PM
TCM3 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
you had your chance bolt

Do not forget to entertain strangers, For by so doing some have unwittingly entertained angels
Hebrews 13:2
(R-TX)
Re: Repealing Texas Property Taxes is a Progressive Trap [Re: MrMadMac] #8565592 03/27/22 02:21 PM
B
BigfootWallace Offline
Tracker
Tracker
B
I love the USA because you can live anywhere you want, you are not forced to live somewhere and pay exorbitant prices if you don't want to. We are on several hundred acres and are Ag exempt. Most people in DFW pay way more property tax than we do for a 1/8 acre lot you can pee across. Makes absolutely no sense but people still pay it.

I hear school districts talked about all the time like it's a huge deal to be in a certain one. I promise that little Johnny will not become full retard if he doesn't get to go to (insert uppity school name here). Kids graduate every single year from small rural schools and become very successful members of society.

Re: Repealing Texas Property Taxes is a Progressive Trap [Re: Ders26] #8565606 03/27/22 02:42 PM
P
Paluxy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
P
Originally Posted by Ders26
Originally Posted by Stump_jumper
I don't have a problem with property taxes per se. The problem I have is basing them on current appraisals. Property taxes should be based on the purchase price plus a COLA adjustment. If you give local governments and school districts 10% more money every year they will find a way to spend it. I feel for people that escrow. With insurance and property taxes going up they are going to see big increases in monthly payments and will probably be caught off guard.

I think this idea has merit. You know what you are getting yourself into when you buy the house. I do not think sales tax alone can create the revenues needed without having significant negative affects.

[Linked Image]

Re: Repealing Texas Property Taxes is a Progressive Trap [Re: MrMadMac] #8565625 03/27/22 03:11 PM
M
MrMadMac Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
M
Here is a good article that probably has more information than you want to know
about land appraisal, exemptions and rollbacks (which are actually an 8% increase).
And good news!

If the taxing unit then proposes a tax rate for the current year that is higher than the rollback rate,
residents can petition within 90 days to limit the size of the tax rate increase.

https://agrilifeextension.tamu.edu/.../texas-property-taxes/

Re: Repealing Texas Property Taxes is a Progressive Trap [Re: DocHorton] #8565631 03/27/22 03:19 PM
S
Simple Searcher Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted by DocHorton
Originally Posted by Paluxy
I don't like property taxes either but the numbers just don't add up. Sales taxes simply won't cut it

Even a cursory look at the numbers shows that
swapping property taxes for a higher sales tax is unrealistic.
In 2016, Texans paid $36 billion in state and local sales taxes. Property taxes totaled more than
$56 billion, far more than what a few more pennies added to the sales tax would raise.
In fact, the current state sales tax rate of 6.25 percent would have to almost quadruple to a
whopping 23 percent to wipe out the property tax, according to a 2012 analysis by the state
comptroller’s office. Add another 2 percent for current local taxes and you’re looking at a 25
percent sales tax rate — a quarter in tax on every dollar you spend!

https://ttara.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/09/TribTalk_SalesPropertyTaxSwapOpEd_2_5_18.pdf

Those numbers don't seem to add up. If 6.25% generated $36B, then 16% would generate $92B.

Personally I think a combination of raising sales tax to like 9% and dropping property taxes would work.

We gotta remember, if someone makes $75k a year then they are probably only paying sales tax on what...$20k of that? Maybe even a lot less since majority is housing, auto, insurance, income tax, savings, gasoline, etc.

Thanks for the math.
It is amazing that the article posted is called "Bad Math," and they do bad math right in the first page.

[Linked Image]

"Man is still a hunter, still a simple searcher after meat..." Robert C. Ruark
Re: Repealing Texas Property Taxes is a Progressive Trap [Re: Simple Searcher] #8565645 03/27/22 03:43 PM
P
Paluxy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
P
Originally Posted by Simple Searcher
I don't like property taxes either but the numbers just don't add up. Sales taxes simply won't cut it

Even a cursory look at the numbers shows that
swapping property taxes for a higher sales tax is unrealistic.
In 2016, Texans paid $36 billion in state and local sales taxes. Property taxes totaled more than
$56 billion, far more than what a few more pennies added to the sales tax would raise.
In fact, the current state sales tax rate of 6.25 percent would have to almost quadruple to a
whopping 23 percent to wipe out the property tax, according to a 2012 analysis by the state
comptroller’s office. Add another 2 percent for current local taxes and you’re looking at a 25
percent sales tax rate — a quarter in tax on every dollar you spend!

https://ttara.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/09/TribTalk_SalesPropertyTaxSwapOpEd_2_5_18.pdf

Those numbers don't seem to add up. If 6.25% generated $36B, then 16% would generate $92B.

Personally I think a combination of raising sales tax to like 9% and dropping property taxes would work.

We gotta remember, if someone makes $75k a year then they are probably only paying sales tax on what...$20k of that? Maybe even a lot less since majority is housing, auto, insurance, income tax, savings, gasoline, etc.

Thanks for the math.
It is amazing that the article posted is called "Bad Math," and they do bad math right in the first page.

The math is good. Maybe not so well written as some are having trouble following it.

The sentence where it references $36 billion is clear that it is state and local taxes sales taxes which would typically be 8.25% that generated $36 billion and not 6.25%.

Re: Repealing Texas Property Taxes is a Progressive Trap [Re: BigfootWallace] #8565662 03/27/22 04:21 PM
T
txtrophy85 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by BigfootWallace
I love the USA because you can live anywhere you want, you are not forced to live somewhere and pay exorbitant prices if you don't want to. We are on several hundred acres and are Ag exempt. Most people in DFW pay way more property tax than we do for a 1/8 acre lot you can pee across. Makes absolutely no sense but people still pay it.

I hear school districts talked about all the time like it's a huge deal to be in a certain one. I promise that little Johnny will not become full retard if he doesn't get to go to (insert uppity school name here). Kids graduate every single year from small rural schools and become very successful members of society.

Difference is the initial price investment of the rural land vs. the house in town. And Ag/exemption is only on the property not the 1 acre with a home….that’s still taxed Ad Valorem. So it’s not exactly apples to apples what you are comparing.

And the school district comes into play more with extra curriculars, sports programs and academic resources available in a urban or suburban school vs. smaller rural schools. There is a difference.

For it is not the quarry that we truly seek, but the adventure.
Re: Repealing Texas Property Taxes is a Progressive Trap [Re: txtrophy85] #8565674 03/27/22 04:39 PM
B
BigfootWallace Offline
Tracker
Tracker
B
Originally Posted by txtrophy85

Difference is the initial price investment of the rural land vs. the house in town. And Ag/exemption is only on the property not the 1 acre with a home….that’s still taxed Ad Valorem. So it’s not exactly apples to apples what you are comparing.

And the school district comes into play more with extra curriculars, sports programs and academic resources available in a urban or suburban school vs. smaller rural schools. There is a difference.

Point is you pay way more for way less at the end of the day.

I have more faith in my offspring than most I guess. I don't need my kid to speak Mandarin or be on the fencing team to be successful in life.

Re: Repealing Texas Property Taxes is a Progressive Trap [Re: txtrophy85] #8565742 03/27/22 06:15 PM
S
Simple Searcher Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted by txtrophy85

If this does become a state income tax and the state controls all dollars. I wonder how they will divvy it up equally.
It would be my thought that a lesser populated county like Palo Pinto will bring in more in property tax than they will in sales tax. They could be short.

[Linked Image]

Re: Repealing Texas Property Taxes is a Progressive Trap [Re: MrMadMac] #8565744 03/27/22 06:16 PM
D
Dry Fire Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
D
My main complaint when I lived in Texas was the property tax wasn't indexed to income. After 6 neck surgeries, my wife was forced into early retirement. We lost her $50k annual income, but my property taxes kept going up. Moving to Alabama 7 years ago, my property taxes the first year was $625 and are currently $750. Yes, I pay a state income tax and a sales tax on more items like groceries, but all those taxes are based on A) Income and B) Personal Spending. A home doesn't generate income until it is sold. But you have to pay a wealth tax on it every year based on how much your county thinks it is worth in todays real estate market.

coffee spelled backwards is eeffoc. I don't give eeffoc until I have my morning coffee.
Re: Repealing Texas Property Taxes is a Progressive Trap [Re: Paluxy] #8565776 03/27/22 07:20 PM
S
Simple Searcher Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
S

Thanks for the math.

The math is good. Maybe not so well written as some are having trouble following it.

The sentence where it references $36 billion is clear that it is state and local taxes sales taxes which would typically be 8.25% that generated $36 billion and not 6.25%.

I follow you. But they are still off a bit.
I cringe at the thought of a 20%+ sales tax. But then property taxes suck too.

[Linked Image]

Re: Repealing Texas Property Taxes is a Progressive Trap [Re: MrMadMac] #8565781 03/27/22 07:33 PM
M
MrMadMac Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
M
Some people take property taxes very seriously.
They were increased in the township of Bath, Michigan to pay for a new school
and in 1927 Andrew Kehoe blew up the school killing 38 children and 6 adults.
It would have been worse but one of his two bombs failed to go off.
Bath School Bombing

Re: Repealing Texas Property Taxes is a Progressive Trap [Re: MrMadMac] #8565789 03/27/22 07:55 PM
R
rickym Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
R
2Drunk must be sleeping in today!

Re: Repealing Texas Property Taxes is a Progressive Trap [Re: MrMadMac] #8565827 03/27/22 08:36 PM
M
MrMadMac Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
M
The International Association of Assessing Officers https://www.iaao.org/
has an informative and even entertaining article about property taxes from 6,000 B.C. to the present date.
The History of Property Taxes

Re: Repealing Texas Property Taxes is a Progressive Trap [Re: rickym] #8565833 03/27/22 08:56 PM
dogcatcher Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by rickym
2Drunk must be sleeping in today!

lol444

Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
_____________"Illegitimus non carborundum est"_______________

[Linked Image]
Re: Repealing Texas Property Taxes is a Progressive Trap [Re: Simple Searcher] #8565844 03/27/22 09:18 PM
D
DocHorton Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
D

Makes sense, I didn't realize it was the 8.25 rather than 6.25.

Another factor to consider....commercial property owners pay a large amount of property taxes as well. I wonder how that would factor into all of it?

Re: Repealing Texas Property Taxes is a Progressive Trap [Re: Simple Searcher] #8565845 03/27/22 09:19 PM
glens Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
[/quote]

Kinda wonder if 20% sales tax would be less in the end than the $5800 smackers we pay to Chicken Chit Property Tax. Almost $4000 of that is to Screw/School Tax. At least mine if locked for the older's.

Re: Repealing Texas Property Taxes is a Progressive Trap [Re: MrMadMac] #8565881 03/27/22 10:12 PM
bill oxner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
This is a one upper post.

I got tired of it and paid off the house with the income frog selling a lot that was near. cheers

Quail hunting is like walking into, and out of a beautiful painting all day long. Gene Hill

[Linked Image]

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide