Forums46
Topics537,029
Posts9,719,580
Members86,989
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Killing East Texas Bucks out of Pop-Up Blinds [Re: LanceH] #8563629 03/24/22 01:58 PM
jbmc Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
I've killed some from pop up blinds in NE Texas. Brush them in, and pay attention to wind. One tip, I use the blinds with a floor made on them.
Got tired of those "legless lizards" taking up residence...

Re: Killing East Texas Bucks out of Pop-Up Blinds [Re: jbmc] #8563649 03/24/22 02:11 PM
L
LanceH Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
L
Originally Posted by jbmc
I've killed some from pop up blinds in NE Texas. Brush them in, and pay attention to wind. One tip, I use the blinds with a floor made on them.
Got tired of those "legless lizards" taking up residence...

This is a problem I worry about.

Re: Killing East Texas Bucks out of Pop-Up Blinds [Re: LanceH] #8563653 03/24/22 02:13 PM
L
LanceH Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
L
How do you guys control your scent in a pop-up?

Re: Killing East Texas Bucks out of Pop-Up Blinds [Re: LanceH] #8563707 03/24/22 02:56 PM
Ol Thumper Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted by LanceH

Watch the wind and I dig around on the ground with my boot to stir the soil up making a fresh earthy scent. You definitely have to play the game wind and scent control but if I were given an option of picking one type of blind to hunt out of it would be a pop up. I’d you can’t kill a deer out of one your either not brushing it In good enough or you smell like a dead rhino’s @$$.

Re: Killing East Texas Bucks out of Pop-Up Blinds [Re: Ol Thumper] #8563711 03/24/22 03:05 PM
L
LanceH Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
L
Originally Posted by Ol Thumper

Watch the wind and I dig around on the ground with my boot to stir the soil up making a fresh earthy scent. You definitely have to play the game wind and scent control but if I were given an option of picking one type of blind to hunt out of it would be a pop up. I’d you can’t kill a deer out of one your either not brushing it In good enough or you smell like a dead rhino’s @$$.

Originally Posted by Ol Thumper

Thanks. I hunt in Harrison County. My hardwoods were destroyed in 2016 by a tornado. I hunt a pipeline. I have 2 feeders with a rifle blind in the middle. My plan is to set up a pop-up in the brush 20-25 yards from each feeder to bowhunt. I worry about snakes and I know my scent will be the biggest killer.

Re: Killing East Texas Bucks out of Pop-Up Blinds [Re: 10 Gauge] #8565281 03/26/22 10:21 PM
C
Catperch Offline
Tracker
Tracker
C
Originally Posted by Bryan C. Heimann
I don’t know what you’re going to use if not a pop up blind. Everywhere I know of you have to move your blind after 30 days according to the law. But nobody follows that law, there are tree stands and platforms throughout the woods that have been there for years and years unmarked. You just can’t get away with it using a ground blind because it will be stolen or destroyed.

I had a conversation about it with a landowner, with property adjacent to my favorite piece of public ground. He and some of his relatives try, but he claims that there are groups of anti-hunters that come through and snap every fiberglass rod in every ground blind they have set out and they don’t last long. They also stole the bottom part of the ladder to their ladder stands.

So if you plan to leave it up awhile you gotta hide it from man, not deer. Easy pop ups you can take home with you are probably as good as it gets.

I hear so much on here about everyrhing getting stolen in East Texas. I've hunted here my whole life and never had a problem. Maybe I've just been lucky so far.... I don't know.

Re: Killing East Texas Bucks out of Pop-Up Blinds [Re: LanceH] #8579645 04/16/22 05:34 PM
H
Huskerron Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
H
I agree on the blinds with floors sewn in. I have 4 and only one has a floor. I definitely notice that I spend the most time in the one with the floor when I’m hunting antelope and it’s still warm out. Trouble is not a lot of companies make them with floors anymore. Must be a price point issue

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide