Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Texan in Montana #8552411 03/09/22 11:44 PM
CurtisMac Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
We moved here last year from north Texas, just outside Kalispell, Montana.

I just wanted to share a few pics of things you don't normally see in Texas. This is a frozen waterfall near Columbia Falls, headed to Glacier National Park. About 30 minutes from our property. I suppose someone had the brainy idea to add some food coloring before it froze? LOL

We were attempting to navigate some pretty tough roads in January, but, it was a great adventure!

Made a pretty sight to see!
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

I can explain it for you, but I can't understand it for you.
Re: Texan in Montana [Re: CurtisMac] #8552433 03/10/22 12:04 AM
A
angus1956 Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
A
Pretty place enjoy it.
9 months of winter, 3 months of fall, a breath of spring and no summer at all.

In my younger days I installed the computer system at the McDonald's there in town. Knowing this and $2.50 will get you a cup of coffee. smile

Re: Texan in Montana [Re: CurtisMac] #8552436 03/10/22 12:09 AM
B
Biscuit Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
B
Beautiful

Re: Texan in Montana [Re: CurtisMac] #8552453 03/10/22 12:25 AM
S
Stub Online Happy
THF Celebrity
Online Happy
THF Celebrity
S
Beautiful country up there, thanks for sharing up

texas flag

Re: Texan in Montana [Re: angus1956] #8552470 03/10/22 12:38 AM
T
TEXASLEFTY Online Content
THF Whiskey Sommelier
Online Content
THF Whiskey Sommelier
T
Originally Posted by angus1956
Pretty place enjoy it.
9 months of winter, 3 months of fall, a breath of spring and no summer at all.

In my younger days I installed the computer system at the McDonald's there in town. Knowing this and $2.50 will get you a cup of coffee. smile

It was $1.83 the other day, sir.....

Originally Posted by Chunky Monkey
Never been to a camping world. I prefer Dick's to be honest.
Re: Texan in Montana [Re: CurtisMac] #8552739 03/10/22 01:48 PM
I
ILUVBIGBUCKS Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
I
Beautiful country there where you are at no doubt.....just too damn cold 5-6 months out of the year for this flat lander!

Wife and I spent 4-5 days there on our honeymoon trip in last days of June and first couple days of July 1995 and it l snowed about 3" up at the Logan Pass Visitors Center on the Going to the Sun road the last morning we were there! We had a great snowball fight with some young kids and their parents who were from FL and had never seen snow before. lol

High fence, low fence, no fence, it really doesn't matter as long as you're hunting!
Re: Texan in Montana [Re: ILUVBIGBUCKS] #8552786 03/10/22 02:20 PM
CurtisMac Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
Originally Posted by ILUVBIGBUCKS
Beautiful country there where you are at no doubt.....just too damn cold 5-6 months out of the year for this flat lander!

Wife and I spent 4-5 days there on our honeymoon trip in last days of June and first couple days of July 1995 and it l snowed about 3" up at the Logan Pass Visitors Center on the Going to the Sun road the last morning we were there! We had a great snowball fight with some young kids and their parents who were from FL and had never seen snow before. lol

It can get pretty cold, but for me, the wilderness and natural habitat far out weigh the few months of frigid temps. We built a house in the lower valley on the north shore of Flathead Lake. It's flat land surrounded by mountain ranges. We can see Glacier National Park, Big Mountain Ski Resort and Flathead Lake, all from our property. But where we are hardly ever gets over 8" of snow at any given time. We can drive five minutes in any direction and find ourselves in 1 to 2' of snow during peak snow season. Our first freeze was in late November and we are beginning to see temps near the 50's now. The clothes worn up here are much different than what we have ever worn in Texas, they keep you from getting cold, much better quality for this climate. We take care of a few horses which means feeding twice a day. The barn is heated and I keep them inside if the temps dip below 5 degrees. The horseback hunting here in the "back country" is a lifetime experience. Panning for gold is my next adventure, some of the rivers actually produce some decent returns. And don't kid yourself, we have summer. We spent about 30 days here near and above 100 degrees. Fall lasted about 45 days until we reached our first freeze at night. What I'm saying is. it's very doable from a Texan standpoint. Sure, there are areas that make it tough to live here, but where we live is very tolerable during the winter months. This is an extremely conservative state, which we love as well. Sidearms are worn in the grocery store, church and restaurants........ it's a different culture for sure. Californians and people from Oregon and Washington are frowned on by the native Montana folks. This state is much like Texas in that regard. Bottom line is, we love it here. We dress for the winters and do things outside at 0 degrees, it just seems different. We don't miss the boiling temps during the summer in Texas where you have to find air conditioning. Even during the hot summer months here, it always cools off at night into the 40's or 50's. We sleep with our windows open.
Probably more than you wanted to hear, but don't be fooled, this is a great place to live, even for a died in the wool Texan. We should have moved here years ago. The horror story of 30 and 40 below, are extreme anomalies. Yes, it could do that and has once or twice in history. And it's all about where you live. Houses are build totally different here, our heat barely comes on when it's around 10 degrees or less. Our garage is heated as well. All I can say is, it's just different than the worst you hear about. West of the Rockies is a much easier winter to tolerate, the winds and snow drifts are not the same as central or eastern Montana. Sorry about the novel! LOL

I can explain it for you, but I can't understand it for you.
Re: Texan in Montana [Re: CurtisMac] #8552813 03/10/22 02:44 PM
E
EddieWalker Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
E
I appreciate hearing what it's really like living there. I've always wanted to retire to the Rocky Mountains, but I don't want to deal with a lot of snow. It might happen, but it seems more and more unlikely the older I get.

Re: Texan in Montana [Re: CurtisMac] #8552840 03/10/22 03:10 PM
68rustbucket Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Hoping to make it to that part of Montana one day.

Re: Texan in Montana [Re: CurtisMac] #8552847 03/10/22 03:14 PM
1955 Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Awesome up

Re: Texan in Montana [Re: CurtisMac] #8553089 03/10/22 08:21 PM
T
TXHOGSLAYER Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
In about 2 years we will be neighbors!

LETS GO BRANDON
Re: Texan in Montana [Re: CurtisMac] #8553157 03/10/22 09:16 PM
I
ILUVBIGBUCKS Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
I
Originally Posted by CurtisMac
Originally Posted by ILUVBIGBUCKS

It can get pretty cold, but for me, the wilderness and natural habitat far out weigh the few months of frigid temps. We built a house in the lower valley on the north shore of Flathead Lake. It's flat land surrounded by mountain ranges. We can see Glacier National Park, Big Mountain Ski Resort and Flathead Lake, all from our property. But where we are hardly ever gets over 8" of snow at any given time. We can drive five minutes in any direction and find ourselves in 1 to 2' of snow during peak snow season. Our first freeze was in late November and we are beginning to see temps near the 50's now. The clothes worn up here are much different than what we have ever worn in Texas, they keep you from getting cold, much better quality for this climate. We take care of a few horses which means feeding twice a day. The barn is heated and I keep them inside if the temps dip below 5 degrees. The horseback hunting here in the "back country" is a lifetime experience. Panning for gold is my next adventure, some of the rivers actually produce some decent returns. And don't kid yourself, we have summer. We spent about 30 days here near and above 100 degrees. Fall lasted about 45 days until we reached our first freeze at night. What I'm saying is. it's very doable from a Texan standpoint. Sure, there are areas that make it tough to live here, but where we live is very tolerable during the winter months. This is an extremely conservative state, which we love as well. Sidearms are worn in the grocery store, church and restaurants........ it's a different culture for sure. Californians and people from Oregon and Washington are frowned on by the native Montana folks. This state is much like Texas in that regard. Bottom line is, we love it here. We dress for the winters and do things outside at 0 degrees, it just seems different. We don't miss the boiling temps during the summer in Texas where you have to find air conditioning. Even during the hot summer months here, it always cools off at night into the 40's or 50's. We sleep with our windows open.
Probably more than you wanted to hear, but don't be fooled, this is a great place to live, even for a died in the wool Texan. We should have moved here years ago. The horror story of 30 and 40 below, are extreme anomalies. Yes, it could do that and has once or twice in history. And it's all about where you live. Houses are build totally different here, our heat barely comes on when it's around 10 degrees or less. Our garage is heated as well. All I can say is, it's just different than the worst you hear about. West of the Rockies is a much easier winter to tolerate, the winds and snow drifts are not the same as central or eastern Montana. Sorry about the novel! LOL

up up cheers

Great information for sure and enjoyed reading it.

I do understand completely the cold is different there for sure. I've been in the Rockies in 0-10 degree weather and as long as you stay dry and the wind isn't blowing it is not all that bad really.

Your place does indeed sound like paradise! Flathead Lake is incredible without a doubt. And, some of those glacial lakes in the park are straight up mind boggling beautiful. Unbelievably clear water and the color is very hard to describe to anyone who has not seen them with their own eyes.

High fence, low fence, no fence, it really doesn't matter as long as you're hunting!
Re: Texan in Montana [Re: CurtisMac] #8553158 03/10/22 09:16 PM
C
colt45-90 Offline
Texas colt45
Texas colt45
C
if I had it to do over, that's where I would be.

hold on Newt, we got a runaway
Re: Texan in Montana [Re: CurtisMac] #8553177 03/10/22 09:24 PM
dogcatcher Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Beautiful!

Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
_____________"Illegitimus non carborundum est"_______________

[Linked Image]
Re: Texan in Montana [Re: CurtisMac] #8553405 03/11/22 02:05 AM
P
pop r Online Content
Pro Tracker
Online Content
Pro Tracker
P
Hope you enjoy it up there! Beautiful country! up

Re: Texan in Montana [Re: CurtisMac] #8553619 03/11/22 12:55 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
cheers

Are idiots multiplying faster than normal people?[Linked Image]
Re: Texan in Montana [Re: CurtisMac] #8553776 03/11/22 03:49 PM
bill oxner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Pure greatness. cheers

Quail hunting is like walking into, and out of a beautiful painting all day long. Gene Hill

[Linked Image]

Re: Texan in Montana [Re: CurtisMac] #8555102 03/13/22 04:56 AM
G
guysamson Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
G
😂 that’s hilarious

Life passes most people by while they're busy making grand plans for it.

www.ottfamilyjewelry.com
Great prices on chains, bracelets, and rings.
Re: Texan in Montana [Re: CurtisMac] #8558181 03/17/22 11:59 AM
K
Kevin Heath Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
K
I love Kalispell, a good family friend is the former postmistress there, and after she retired she ran a ceramics shop. I used to love to go visit her.

Some days you're the pigeon, other days you are the statue!
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide