Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
What a difference a good bow shop makes #8547343 03/04/22 06:22 AM
10 Gauge Online Content OP
Extreme Tracker
OP Online Content
Extreme Tracker
I got a bow from Amazon for Christmas, and SAS Feud. Some specs, it’s a 70 pound compound bow from Taiwan, 30” ATA, I think a 7” brace height.

I stopped by Midwest Archery outside Springfield, MO and they paper tuned my bow and helped me out with my technique. I spent a little over an hour there with Brad and they only charged me $20. Times my cams and everything.
Measured me for draw length at 30.6”, set my bow to 30”.

Didn’t have time to dial in my sight so I did that today on the indoor range at bass pro. I shot this 5-shot target at 20 yards once I got her dialed in.

[Linked Image]

I’m not a pro by any means. I got this bow for Christmas and before that the last time I shot a bow I was 17 years old. That’s more than 20 years.

I’m pulling 70 pounds at 30” and only getting 243 feet per second with this 515 grain arrow but now I can put it *right* where I want to.

Now I will only deal with Midwest Archery and I just thought they deserved a shot out. Highly recommended, if you ever find yourself in the Springfield, MO area you should stop by.

Thanks for looking.

1 Thessalonians 4:11-14
Re: What a difference a good bow shop makes [Re: 10 Gauge] #8547573 03/04/22 03:28 PM
kmon11 Online Shocked
junior
Online Shocked
junior
Looks like the did you good, Getting the bow right and getting your form right goes a long ways in ability and confidence.

A bow can be setup perfect but just a little change in the shooters form can throw that out very quickly, have seen that many times.

Something I have done with a few shooters is video them on their phone when they were shooting bad and good and the correction to form to shoot good so they had a reference they could check. That worked with several customers that I worked with for helping them be able to recognize when something was wrong with form for them to self correct. When they stopped shooting as good they could video that and self correct. Once you get good hooting form and now what it feel like you should notice if something is wrong.

Archery is like golf, if you play golf and at address of the bal something doesn't feel right back off and do the preshot routine again to correct or there will be a bad shot, archery is the same, if it doesn't feel right it usually will not be right.

lf the saying "Liar, Liar your pants on fire" were true
Mainstream news might be fun to watch
Re: What a difference a good bow shop makes [Re: kmon11] #8549352 03/06/22 05:49 PM
Extreme Tracker
OP Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Originally Posted by kmon11
Looks like the did you good, Getting the bow right and getting your form right goes a long ways in ability and confidence.

A bow can be setup perfect but just a little change in the shooters form can throw that out very quickly, have seen that many times.

Something I have done with a few shooters is video them on their phone when they were shooting bad and good and the correction to form to shoot good so they had a reference they could check. That worked with several customers that I worked with for helping them be able to recognize when something was wrong with form for them to self correct. When they stopped shooting as good they could video that and self correct. Once you get good hooting form and now what it feel like you should notice if something is wrong.

Archery is like golf, if you play golf and at address of the bal something doesn't feel right back off and do the preshot routine again to correct or there will be a bad shot, archery is the same, if it doesn't feel right it usually will not be right.

I will give that a try. I know when I do everything as perfectly as I can remember Brad telling me, and I follow through perfectly, I swear I can knock a tick off a dog’s [censored] from 20 yards. If I don’t do it all just right I am hitting an inch or two off center, still probably a kill shot in most cases. So if I am not drilling them in the center I know it’s me. That said I am strictly hunting with a bow this year. Everything, squirrels on up to any other opportunities I get except birds. Arrows are too expensive to waste them learning to wing shoot a bow, haha.

Last edited by Bryan C. Heimann; 03/06/22 05:51 PM.

Re: What a difference a good bow shop makes [Re: 10 Gauge] #8550332 03/07/22 08:21 PM
F
freerange Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F
That’s good shooting.

At some point in life its time to quit chasing the pot of gold and just enjoy the rainbow. FR
Keep your gratitude higher than your expectations. RWH
Re: What a difference a good bow shop makes [Re: freerange] #8550350 03/07/22 09:02 PM
Extreme Tracker
OP Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Originally Posted by freerange
That’s good shooting.

Thank you sir. I can’t do it every time, but if I did everything right all the time it would be even better. I thought this kind of stuff was all trick shooting but a good modern bow and arrow (edit- properly tuned modern bow and arrow) can probably shoot near as good as a rifle. Might try resting my forearm on a bog pod or something.

Last edited by Bryan C. Heimann; 03/07/22 09:04 PM.

Re: What a difference a good bow shop makes [Re: 10 Gauge] #8554144 03/11/22 11:03 PM
T
txtrophy85 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
515 grains arrow is fairly heavy for a compound arrow but at 70lbs and a 30” draw you have a lot of room to improve on that speed with a higher performing bow. With that same arrow setup with a flagship bow from any of the major manufacturers you will be getting over 300 fps.

Get a kill or two under your belt and see if you take to archery, and when you upgrade it will be a night and day difference

For it is not the quarry that we truly seek, but the adventure.
Re: What a difference a good bow shop makes [Re: 10 Gauge] #8554550 03/12/22 03:25 PM
Extreme Tracker
OP Online Content
Extreme Tracker
What I have seen watching YouTube, a modern 70 pound compound is doing pretty good to shoot in the low 300’s with a 400 grain arrow. A bow that shoots that fast with 400 grains shoots about 30 fps faster with 350 grains, and typically “boasts” a 340-350 IBO. It takes about 80 pounds or a very fast 70 ib speed bow to shoot a 500+ grain arrow into the 300’s. All this is at 29-30” draw. Someone did a battle of the 80 pound bows on YouTube and he’s pulling 29-30” on all these bows and the fastest one shot like 315 fps with a 500 grain arrow- that was a Frankenstein-bow. Most of them are below 310 fps.

I am happy with my bow for now. I want to give it at least a full year and get as much blood on the riser as I can. Starting with coyotes asap, which I’ve never been very interested in. I just want to kill something with a bow that bad. But when I upgrade I am going to 80 pounds and shooting the lightest hunting arrow I can get away with.

I just don’t like the standard arrow inserts. They are so small and short, I have no confidence in them to hold together 100% of the time. So I gotta add at least 50 grains in the extended aluminum gold tip insert or shoot a .204 ID arrow with a collar. Still heavier.

@txtrophy85- what do you know of very light (yet very strong) arrow set-ups? Seems pretty hard to keep the weight inside of 400 grains without sacrificing a lot in structural integrity.

Last edited by Bryan C. Heimann; 03/12/22 03:26 PM.

Re: What a difference a good bow shop makes [Re: 10 Gauge] #8555171 03/13/22 07:31 AM
Extreme Tracker
OP Online Content
Extreme Tracker
I’ve been reading a lot, apparently there were much faster bows available about 5-8 years ago, but the trend has changed and focusing now more on smooth power. And more than just a little bit of exaggeration on the velocity this year. It’s crazy.

Last edited by Bryan C. Heimann; 03/13/22 07:31 AM.

Re: What a difference a good bow shop makes [Re: 10 Gauge] #8555194 03/13/22 11:48 AM
L
LeonCarr Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
L
Originally Posted by Bryan C. Heimann
Originally Posted by freerange
That’s good shooting.

Thank you sir. I can’t do it every time, but if I did everything right all the time it would be even better. I thought this kind of stuff was all trick shooting but a good modern bow and arrow (edit- properly tuned modern bow and arrow) can probably shoot near as good as a rifle. Might try resting my forearm on a bog pod or something.

And the beauty of it is you can put a block in your backyard and practice all day every day if you want.

"Whitetail Deer are extinct because of rifles with telescopes mounted on them." - My 11th Grade English Teacher
Re: What a difference a good bow shop makes [Re: 10 Gauge] #8555262 03/13/22 02:01 PM
kmon11 Online Shocked
junior
Online Shocked
junior
Something about chasing speed and thinking IBO speed, good luck with hunting arrow. There are trade offs with chasing speed generally speaking

IBO speeds are good for comparison but are really pie in the sky for hunting arrows.

IBO hunting arrows are about as hard to find as hens teeth. Light weight arrows with a spine for 70 to 80lbs at 30 inches run around 9gr+ per inch. By the time you add in insert, fletching, nock, and broadhead you will be well over 350 grains which is the arrow weight for a 70lb bow for IBO speed or 5grains per pound of draw.

As you go up in speed the bows generally become a bit less forgiving to draw and shoot. Shorter brace heights and draw cycle that ramps up fast gets almost to full draw then drops off to the let off hold point quickly. That is done for having max pressure on the arrow through its time on the string to absorb all the energy it can.

Around 370fps IBO is as fast as I have seen and there are still a few in that range but not many. With the components used in making bows that is about the max speed that can be obtained with the limbs/cams/arrow materials.

Re: What a difference a good bow shop makes [Re: 10 Gauge] #8555275 03/13/22 02:15 PM
kmon11 Online Shocked
junior
Online Shocked
junior
If I were buying a bow now I would be looking at bows in the 330 to 340fps range that have a very smooth draw cycle and about all manufactures have a model or several that can be included in that area of performance. Once top speeds were reached with the materials available manufactures turned to making bows more shootable.

When looing go to several shops and shoot several that feel good in the hand to you. One or two will just feel better generally a bow that feels better will shoot better for you.

Re: What a difference a good bow shop makes [Re: 10 Gauge] #8555510 03/13/22 07:38 PM
T
txtrophy85 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by Bryan C. Heimann
What I have seen watching YouTube, a modern 70 pound compound is doing pretty good to shoot in the low 300’s with a 400 grain arrow. A bow that shoots that fast with 400 grains shoots about 30 fps faster with 350 grains, and typically “boasts” a 340-350 IBO. It takes about 80 pounds or a very fast 70 ib speed bow to shoot a 500+ grain arrow into the 300’s. All this is at 29-30” draw. Someone did a battle of the 80 pound bows on YouTube and he’s pulling 29-30” on all these bows and the fastest one shot like 315 fps with a 500 grain arrow- that was a Frankenstein-bow. Most of them are below 310 fps.

I am happy with my bow for now. I want to give it at least a full year and get as much blood on the riser as I can. Starting with coyotes asap, which I’ve never been very interested in. I just want to kill something with a bow that bad. But when I upgrade I am going to 80 pounds and shooting the lightest hunting arrow I can get away with.

I just don’t like the standard arrow inserts. They are so small and short, I have no confidence in them to hold together 100% of the time. So I gotta add at least 50 grains in the extended aluminum gold tip insert or shoot a .204 ID arrow with a collar. Still heavier.

@txtrophy85- what do you know of very light (yet very strong) arrow set-ups? Seems pretty hard to keep the weight inside of 400 grains without sacrificing a lot in structural integrity.

I wouldn’t worry much about trying to find a light arrow because of your long draw. That said I killed several animals with full pass thru’s using a 2” expandable 3 blade, a 72 lb Bow slinging a 390 grain arrow at 275 fps.

I like micro diameter arrows like a gold tip pierce. They have a thicker wall than a standard diameter arrow.

I like speed but it’s not a end all….smooth shooting and accurate account for 2/3rds of my decisions on bow purchases. About 8 years ago I was gonna buy a destroyer 360 that at my draw (26.5” ) shot a 450 grain arrow at 301 fps but it was so harsh on the draw cycle I just couldn’t bring myself to buy it. Now, I shoot a 80 lb Elite that is easier to draw than my 70 lb Mathews, and shoots my 443 grain arrow at 284 fps. Very accurate to shoot out to 80 yards. If I dropped back down to 420 grains it’s shooting right at 295 fps.

For reference, my partner shoot a a 490 grain arrow at 29” draw from his Mathews vertix at 75 lbs and is getting 313 fps. Just a combination of a longer draw and fast bow.

For it is not the quarry that we truly seek, but the adventure.
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide