Forum Statistics
Forums46
Topics537,714
Posts9,728,089
Members87,036
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
The things we take for granted - illustrated by a Japanese “catch/cook/clean” video #8549353 03/06/22 05:50 PM
P
Pig_Popper Online Content OP
Extreme Tracker
OP Online Content
Extreme Tracker
P
I will admit upfront I’m making some serious assumptions on this: they could be completely false.

I watch the “ catch “ portion of this video and a few things bother me.

1) Unnecessary risks are taken by the catcher

2) A serious amount of time and complication (and equipment) are needed to complete the catch

3) Ethical hunting , to me it appears the boar either injures it’s leg or is at the point of extreme stress and can’t use its front leg

The whole time I’m watching I’m thinking - man here in Texas we just shoot the pig and get going with the rest…..

Granted many folks , even here in the US like to hunt and catch game in traditional ways , I don’t mind that and respect it . Not sure if this fella is choosing this method for that reason or due to the restrictive gun laws there ….

This space is For Sale - inquire within ...
Re: The things we take for granted - illustrated by a Japanese “catch/cook/clean” video [Re: Pig_Popper] #8549444 03/06/22 08:17 PM
B
Biscuit Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
B
😳

Re: The things we take for granted - illustrated by a Japanese “catch/cook/clean” video [Re: Pig_Popper] #8549462 03/06/22 09:04 PM
Double Naught Spy Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
You find some of the most bizarre and usually interesting videos, LOL.

Hogdalorian - Si vis pacem cum sus, para bellum.
My Videos https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange
Re: The things we take for granted - illustrated by a Japanese “catch/cook/clean” video [Re: Pig_Popper] #8549467 03/06/22 09:21 PM
G
GusWayne Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
G
I watched it, seems like a helluva hard way to do it

Re: The things we take for granted - illustrated by a Japanese “catch/cook/clean” video [Re: Pig_Popper] #8549509 03/06/22 10:03 PM
Q
QMC SW/EXW Online Content
Pro Tracker
Online Content
Pro Tracker
Q
I know they have a hard time getting permission to own a firearm but I'm pretty sure they can own archery eqpt. A broadhead to the chest would be a lot easier.

Retired Navy Chief
NJROTC Instructor for Tascosa High School
Re: The things we take for granted - illustrated by a Japanese “catch/cook/clean” video [Re: Pig_Popper] #8549687 03/07/22 12:39 AM
C
Chopperdrvr Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
C
It's not only hard to get a firearm permit, it's also expensive and time consuming. He also said in the video that he wanted to bring it back alive to "preserve" the meat. Not a lot of 100 qt ice chests laying around over there.

Re: The things we take for granted - illustrated by a Japanese “catch/cook/clean” video [Re: Pig_Popper] #8549795 03/07/22 02:41 AM
D
Douglas Tipton Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
D
I see nothing wrong here. One of the hard lessons I've learned but not come close to mastering life is the fact that we all suffer from the mirror image fallacy - we expect others to be like us. This rings especially true with cultures - ethnic, nationalistic, etc. I've met many great people in life by looking past my biases. [As an aside I spent a summer in Japan as an exchange student]

I see a man working with the tools he has to harvest an animal to feed himself. I see a man who has great respect for his quarry. I see a man grateful for his harvest. I wonder what he would think of us? Shooting pigs wantonly. Wounding pigs and letting them run off. Leaving the carcasses where they lay. Harvesting only the choice cuts when we feel like making the effort.

I remember some comedian said trying to understand a woman is like trying to understand how a TV works. Dont even bother - just enjoy it as it is. I look at cultures and different people somewhat the same way. I dont try to understand or even try to enjoy everybody or every thing. I just acknowledge its different, and I can choose my level of engagement accordingly.

We can say that " that's not for me". That's ok. And that's enough.

Re: The things we take for granted - illustrated by a Japanese “catch/cook/clean” video [Re: Pig_Popper] #8550180 03/07/22 05:26 PM
D
der Teufel Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
D
Interesting.

Definitely a bit of work, but one does what one can within the limitations and circumstances of one's life I suppose. I was impressed with how much care he took in skinning the hog, carefully removing ONLY the skin. I usually do a quick job and just slice in the fat layer, typically leaving a bit of fat with the skin. I was also curious about how he cleaned the small intestine, slitting it open. Obviously he's not using it for sausage stuffing. Another interesting item was how he removed the rib bones, leaving the meat as a slab.

You do indeed find some interesting videos…
--

I have two unwritten rules:
Re: The things we take for granted - illustrated by a Japanese “catch/cook/clean” video [Re: Pig_Popper] #8550278 03/07/22 07:12 PM
F
flintknapper Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F
No doubt the meat resource was well utilized. Great care taken in every step of preparation.

It would seem an extraordinary amount of stress for the animal however....which makes me wonder if the meat is significantly affected?

Possibly unavoidable due to restrictions where this gentleman lives. Interesting video.

Spartans ask not...how many, but where!
Re: The things we take for granted - illustrated by a Japanese “catch/cook/clean” video [Re: Pig_Popper] #8551682 03/09/22 02:34 AM
S
SouthWestIron Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
S
Interesting for sure. Well made video and the guy has a fairly nice skinning shed. I think I'd rather dispatch with a knife or bow instead of letting all that stress build up in the meat. Course big boars are not good table fair anyway.

Re: The things we take for granted - illustrated by a Japanese “catch/cook/clean” video [Re: Pig_Popper] #8552094 03/09/22 05:11 PM
JimBridger Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
I would think that the stress induced by the prolonged method of securing the hog would effect the quality of the meat.
The hunter is very methodical and certainly appears to appreciate the food value of the game he harvested.

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. Edmund Burke
Re: The things we take for granted - illustrated by a Japanese “catch/cook/clean” video [Re: Pig_Popper] #8552127 03/09/22 05:45 PM
S
Sirrah243 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
S
Very interesting.

�A hunt based only on the trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.� -Fred Bear
Re: The things we take for granted - illustrated by a Japanese “catch/cook/clean” video [Re: Pig_Popper] #8553069 03/10/22 07:41 PM
J
JTPinTX Offline
Tracker
Tracker
J
Very interesting video. His methods are definitely not my own, but we live in different cultures with different needs, goal and resources. I can appreciate the fact that he didn't take the easy way out but instead found a way to accomplish what he needed to do with the tools he had. Even devising unique methods to deal with unconventional problems. Very meticulous in everything he did.

Actually it is very nice to have a fresh and alternate perspective on things. A little balance, if you will. Around my part of the world pigs are treated much the same as cockroaches, something to be eliminated. Just a pest that ruins crops. Shoot and move on, shoot and move on. Very few of the people I hunt with will ever stop and cut one up to eat. I do when I have the chance (usually when hunting alone) and enjoy eating pig. We had some very good fried backstrap with gravy just last week. Pork tacos the week before that. Might smoke a couple of shoulders this weekend.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide