Been down that whole valley
From PK to Granbury

Re: hunt brazos river [Re: mow] #8535871 02/20/22 02:16 AM
B
bp3 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B
Better check with the wardens, they stopped a lot of it because you have to cross private land to get to river.

Re: hunt brazos river [Re: bp3] #8536002 02/20/22 12:18 PM
onlysmith&wesson Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted by bp3
Better check with the wardens, they stopped a lot of it because you have to cross private land to get to river.

I doubt anything has changed. I'd like to know. Some pretty stout laws would have to be written. Trespassing has always been enforced, as public access from public points of entry has always been allowed. Access it publicly, stay within the gradient boundary, leave it via public access, you're good.

An unethical shot is one you take, that you know you shouldn't.
Re: hunt brazos river [Re: mow] #8536474 02/20/22 10:12 PM
B
bp3 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B
I know some guys were hunting the river bed of Pease river north of Crowell,Texas and was told by wardens a new state law had been passed stopping them. And tell me what do you do if you wound a deer and it goes on to private property. Check with warden.

Re: hunt brazos river [Re: bp3] #8536488 02/20/22 10:38 PM
D
DUKFVR Offline
Tracker
Tracker
D
Originally Posted by bp3
I know some guys were hunting the river bed of Pease river north of Crowell,Texas and was told by wardens a new state law had been passed stopping them. And tell me what do you do if you wound a deer and it goes on to private property. Check with warden.

Try to find landowner if you cripple one or he makes it to private. Warden can't give you permission to enter private property.

Re: hunt brazos river [Re: bp3] #8536939 02/21/22 11:24 AM
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted by bp3

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Unless that change took place in 2021, definitely not true at all. I did it for about five consecutive years and killed good deer most of those trips. I did my own research, communicated with the game warden every year to let him know when I would be there for my own safety. If I had of listened to every person that knew a guy that told him something, I would have missed out on a lot of great hunting and good deer. Even when I had a great lease in another part of the state, I always went back to the Pease for a challenging hunt that required a long hike. I didn't mind the hike down the river bed, I shot coyotes and hogs for about a 2-1/2 mile stretch before I went the next mile or so to my pre scouted set up. I've always had a great lease with good deer and still do. But to hunt public, no feeder, no stand, just scouting and instincts and knowing I had to make a perfect shot made this a real challenge that I'll continue to do.

As to your question, you do the same thing you do if you're on private property if that happens. I never had that issue. It always worked out like this, see above. I'll check on the "change" to the law.

Re: hunt brazos river [Re: bp3] #8537485 02/21/22 10:36 PM
M
mow Offline OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Offline
Veteran Tracker
M
Originally Posted by bp3

as long as you have permission to access from landowner..its all legal..from the bed of the river on each side to "natural treeline"..hunted there all year..big boys in some of the gated communities..

Re: hunt brazos river [Re: bp3] #8537487 02/21/22 10:42 PM
M
mow Offline OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Offline
Veteran Tracker
M
Originally Posted by bp3

" goes on to private property" i know of several hunters that got big bucks and never had that problem..game warden in our area told us if it ever happens to call him and he would help retrieve it

Re: hunt brazos river [Re: DUKFVR] #8537488 02/21/22 10:43 PM
M
mow Offline OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Offline
Veteran Tracker
M
Originally Posted by DUKFVR
Originally Posted by bp3

Try to find landowner if you cripple one or he makes it to private. Warden can't give you permission to enter private property.

but game warden can...we give the warden a heads up anytime we hunt on the brazos

Re: hunt brazos river [Re: onlysmith&wesson] #8537595 02/22/22 01:13 AM
R
Reata Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
R
onlysmith&wesson, very impressive bucks!

Re: hunt brazos river [Re: mow] #8538083 02/22/22 04:01 PM
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
That's the same one, Thanks. Its a great hunt, a good challenge. I've got a few this way, very close to the same spot. I enjoy those hunts a great deal.

Re: hunt brazos river [Re: mow] #8538649 02/23/22 04:32 AM
H
Hunter4life° Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
H
I have hunted these rivers along time and never had issues. These land owners are getting smart about people poaching from river on private land and will catch the people soon. 1 group has been shooting animals and leaving them on side of bluffs to rot and taking more than they should. That is what is getting these places shut down. Remember word gets around. No motorized vehicles on rivers but they don't seem to care about that either..

subscribe @TexasOutdoorLife YouTube
Add me on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/Boonesmessenger
Re: hunt brazos river [Re: Hunter4life°] #8538713 02/23/22 12:31 PM
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted by Hunter4life°
I have hunted these rivers along time and never had issues. These land owners are getting smart about people poaching from river on private land and will catch the people soon. 1 group has been shooting animals and leaving them on side of bluffs to rot and taking more than they should. That is what is getting these places shut down. Remember word gets around. No motorized vehicles on rivers but they don't seem to care about that either..

Poachers and thugs that hunt have no boundaries. I had more negative contacts with these types on a lease, where they gained access from county roads and neighboring public land than I ever did publicly hunting the river. In fact, on my public river hunts I never had a negative type of contact with another hunter or land owner. I had one conversation with a lease hunter on a morning hike back in to retrieve one of my bucks. He had a pop up set up, within the gradient boundary that he had accessed from his lease. His permanent stand was about 200 yards away, within the boundary of his lease. He had moved to the river, something I often did when I had a lease on the Pease. I had to walk right by him. I waved a few hundred yards out, to get his attention. As I passed, told him what was up and that I'd be out quickly and as quietly as I could. We wished each other luck and that was it. When I had my lease on the Pease, never had a hunter on our stretch of the river, it would have been 6-7 miles in one way. When I leased in East Texas, in Red River County on the Sulphur we were loaded with game on this nearly 3,000 acre place. We had road hunters, hog doggers, and neighbors all over our place. These "Public River Hunting" laws are not that hard to understand once you find them, and come to learn what the term "gradient boundary" means. Above all, respect private property and other hunters. Access the river legally, hunt it legally and leave it legally.

Re: hunt brazos river [Re: mow] #8539461 02/24/22 02:50 AM
B
bp3 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B
I wouldn't want to try it in Young or Throckmorton county.

Re: hunt brazos river [Re: Hunter4life°] #8542286 02/26/22 09:06 PM
M
mow Offline OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Offline
Veteran Tracker
M

they need to be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law..having said that theres nothing legally landowners can do if the law says i can legally hunt in the natural allignment of the riverbed..as long as i dont tresspass..or break the law..make sure you know thw law in the ara you hunt..and always give the game warden a heads up

Last edited by mow; 02/26/22 09:06 PM.
Re: hunt brazos river [Re: onlysmith&wesson] #8542294 02/26/22 09:09 PM
M
mow Offline OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Offline
Veteran Tracker
M
Originally Posted by onlysmith&wesson

Poachers and thugs that hunt have no boundaries. I had more negative contacts with these types on a lease, where they gained access from county roads and neighboring public land than I ever did publicly hunting the river. In fact, on my public river hunts I never had a negative type of contact with another hunter or land owner. I had one conversation with a lease hunter on a morning hike back in to retrieve one of my bucks. He had a pop up set up, within the gradient boundary that he had accessed from his lease. His permanent stand was about 200 yards away, within the boundary of his lease. He had moved to the river, something I often did when I had a lease on the Pease. I had to walk right by him. I waved a few hundred yards out, to get his attention. As I passed, told him what was up and that I'd be out quickly and as quietly as I could. We wished each other luck and that was it. When I had my lease on the Pease, never had a hunter on our stretch of the river, it would have been 6-7 miles in one way. When I leased in East Texas, in Red River County on the Sulphur we were loaded with game on this nearly 3,000 acre place. We had road hunters, hog doggers, and neighbors all over our place. These "Public River Hunting" laws are not that hard to understand once you find them, and come to learn what the term "gradient boundary" means. Above all, respect private property and other hunters. Access the river legally, hunt it legally and leave it legally.

well said!

Re: hunt brazos river [Re: mow] #8542340 02/26/22 10:08 PM
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted by mow

they need to be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law..having said that theres nothing legally landowners can do if the law says i can legally hunt in the natural allignment of the riverbed..as long as i dont tresspass..or break the law..make sure you know thw law in the ara you hunt..and always give the game warden a heads up

"Gradient Boundary". Learn it, know it, adhere to it and you'll be within the law. Tree line, vegetation line, natural boundary, some arbitrary measurement from the water line...........are all coffee shop and feed store talk that gets thrown around and are not part of the law. Game wardens protect private land owners, lease hunters and public land hunters from hunter harassment equally. When I had my lease on the Pease, if I were ever to encounter a hunter on the river I had no right to F with them, and would have had to answer to a game warden for harassing them in any way. They trespass, and that same Game Warden would be on them as well. Everybody follow the law, everybody will be alright.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide