Print Thread
Page 2 of 28 1 2 3 4 27 28
Re: Property Values Crazy. [Re: Stub] #8534879 02/18/22 07:57 PM
M
missingAK Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
M
We bought our property about 6 yrs ago. The property down the road from us just went up for sale for double what we paid and has had multiple offers. Similar sized properties, but our house is bigger, newer, and we have a spring fed creek. If I thought I could move a little farther out of SA and find a deal I would sell in a heartbeat. Just can't find property available anywhere within decent commuting distance that isn't at the same inflated price.

I've heard of people selling and buying an RV to wait for the bubble to pop. Pocket a nice down payment on a new place and get an RV to boot. Problem with that is that you can't even find an RV spot anywhere near San Antonio...and apartments are crazy expensive and hard to find. I could do an apartment or RV for a year or so...but I'm afraid this is going to be a while longer than that.

"Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing happened." Winston Churchill
Re: Property Values Crazy. [Re: Stub] #8534883 02/18/22 08:01 PM
B
booskay Offline
Tracker
Tracker
B
Think it's bad now ??? All of the West is running out of water --------- the REAL tsunami hasn't started yet ----- My guess is 2-3 yrs from now it will be 100X worse.

Re: Property Values Crazy. [Re: Stub] #8534890 02/18/22 08:20 PM
G
GusWayne Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
G
I’m not far out from doing it myself

I’ll buy back in Oklahoma

Re: Property Values Crazy. [Re: missingAK] #8534906 02/18/22 08:46 PM
G
Gringo Bling Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
G
Originally Posted by missingAK
We bought our property about 6 yrs ago. The property down the road from us just went up for sale for double what we paid and has had multiple offers. Similar sized properties, but our house is bigger, newer, and we have a spring fed creek. If I thought I could move a little farther out of SA and find a deal I would sell in a heartbeat. Just can't find property available anywhere within decent commuting distance that isn't at the same inflated price.

I've heard of people selling and buying an RV to wait for the bubble to pop. Pocket a nice down payment on a new place and get an RV to boot. Problem with that is that you can't even find an RV spot anywhere near San Antonio...and apartments are crazy expensive and hard to find. I could do an apartment or RV for a year or so...but I'm afraid this is going to be a while longer than that.

If you are currently living in a house, living in an RV for a year sounds horrible and "waiting for the bubble to pop" could very well never happen and you're stuck living in an RV permanently.

I had a younger coworker looking at houses with his wife in 2017. He said they were going to sit on the sidelines and rent an apartment and wait for the market to cool off....they are still living in an apartment and could have had hundreds of thousands of dollars in equity had they bought 5 years ago.

Re: Property Values Crazy. [Re: Stub] #8534908 02/18/22 08:47 PM
D
Dave Davidson Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
D
Tell you what’s nuts. I bought 133 acres of rural POS land South of Bowie 35 to 40 years ago. All trees, hills and rocks. Couple of stocked tanks. Absolutely unproductive. I paid $415 per acre for “recreational” property. Added a White trash trailer house. A big deal in that area is a good water well. Local realtor told me that it is probably worth North of $7,500 per acre and increasing monthly. I get a lot of mail from realtors about it and a couple of calls per month.

All the lookers are from California.

Not for sale.

Without a sense of urgency, nothing ever happens.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley, Rancher Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
Re: Property Values Crazy. [Re: Dave Davidson] #8534911 02/18/22 08:53 PM
T
Tin Head Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
Originally Posted by Dave Davidson
Tell you what’s nuts. I bought 133 acres of rural POS land South of Bowie 35 to 40 years ago. All trees, hills and rocks. Couple of stocked tanks. Absolutely unproductive. I paid $415 per acre for “recreational” property. Added a White trash trailer house. A big deal in that area is a good water well. Local realtor told me that it is probably worth North of $7,500 per acre and increasing monthly. I get a lot of mail from realtors about it and a couple of calls per month.

All the lookers are from California.

Not for sale.

yeup , they done ran their utopia into the ground and will do the same here.

[Linked Image]
Re: Property Values Crazy. [Re: Stub] #8534913 02/18/22 08:54 PM
M
Marc K Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
M
Lakefront properties down are selling for stupid money. It is not uncommon to see homes selling for double or triple what they were 2-4 years ago.

The timing for us was intentional - we bought here on the lake when we saw California coming to Texas in waves with pockets full of equity cash. I was 64, and wanted to get here on the lake fast to lock the taxes on a cheaper home before the boom. I am in the cheap seats and I could not afford to buy my house again today - only been here 4 years.

A Democracy is when two wolves and a lamb vote on the dinner menu. That is why this country was specifically not designed as a Democracy. We are a Constitutional Republic.
Re: Property Values Crazy. [Re: Stub] #8534918 02/18/22 09:02 PM
B
BigfootWallace Offline
Tracker
Tracker
B
The Californian that bought 15 acres acres next door to me not long ago built a big roping arena as soon as they got here. They have a big roping once a month. Supposedly makes $20k per roping.

Re: Property Values Crazy. [Re: Marc K] #8534920 02/18/22 09:04 PM
M
missingAK Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
M
Originally Posted by Marc K
Lakefront properties down are selling for stupid money. It is not uncommon to see homes selling for double or triple what they were 2-4 years ago.

The timing for us was intentional - we bought here on the lake when we saw California coming to Texas in waves with pockets full of equity cash. I was 64, and wanted to get here on the lake fast to lock the taxes on a cheaper home before the boom. I am in the cheap seats and I could not afford to buy my house again today - only been here 4 years.

I couldn't even come close to affording to buy my place again. Think I'll be riding it out and watching the chaos happen around me. I feel really bad for a lot of folks I know that were saving to buy their dream property who have been priced out of the market.

"Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing happened." Winston Churchill
Re: Property Values Crazy. [Re: Stub] #8534924 02/18/22 09:11 PM
H
Hudbone Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
H
If you do not like growth, you have to move someplace where others don't want to be.

Re: Property Values Crazy. [Re: missingAK] #8534927 02/18/22 09:12 PM
J
Jimbo1 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
J
Originally Posted by missingAK

I couldn't even come close to affording to buy my place again. Think I'll be riding it out and watching the chaos happen around me. I feel really bad for a lot of folks I know that were saving to buy their dream property who have been priced out of the market.

Yea, I wish I had the sense to buy my dream lake house before now. I just did a quick search and believe it's a losing cause. Some dreams just aren't meant to come true I guess.

Last edited by Jimbo1; 02/18/22 09:13 PM. Reason: spelling

FJB - Lets Go Brandon
BBB - Bring Back Better
Awake - Not Woke!
Re: Property Values Crazy. [Re: Stub] #8534942 02/18/22 09:35 PM
C
Concho Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
C
Problem here in the Hill Country, Austin folks buying in, nowhere to go, prices getting higher each day seems.....

Re: Property Values Crazy. [Re: Hudbone] #8534953 02/18/22 09:49 PM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted by Hudbone
If you do not like growth, you have to move someplace where others don't want to be.

I’ve got the perfect ranch!!!! Even has sandy beaches’ish and cool breezes year round

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: Property Values Crazy. [Re: SherpaPhil] #8534961 02/18/22 10:04 PM
tlk Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted by SherpaPhil
Originally Posted by TXGUNNER308
Originally Posted by DocHorton
Originally Posted by Gringo Bling
Sell high, but then be stuck looking for something else priced high. Factor in all the fees, doesn't make any financial sense unless you are downsizing or moving to a cheaper area. We were about to buy a lake house right after the Covid lockdown in May 2020. That's when prices started getting out of hand and I refused to get into bidding wars. Probably should have just bought then since prices have escalated significantly from those levels 2 years ago.

What really sucks about these housing values is the property taxes. There needs to be some sort of serious tax reform given these values.

This is the thing many people don't understand....they wanna wait until prices "come down". Well, they are going up 15-20% per year, and it's not slowing down at all. The same house that cost $400k two years ago is now $550k. Two more years and it'll be $700k. If someone wants to move they better do it now because they aren't getting any cheaper any time soon, and probably not in the next 15 years in Texas.

^ This 100%

This is exactly what folks were saying about 2007 or so. It can't keep going up like this, its unstainable. Especially with interest rates rising, there has to be a correction.

agree - we have witnessed this type of boom and bust in real estate before - in 1988 there were around 100 builders in Georgetown - then the savings and loan/bad loans drama came and a year later there were a handful of builders - the rest all went belly up - never say never

You can't fix stupid
Re: Property Values Crazy. [Re: Stub] #8535014 02/18/22 11:27 PM
M
Marc K Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
M
It's a cycle and always has been. The difference is that the more radical cycle has arrived in Texas. My wife is a native Texan, but I was raised in CA. Each of the three homes that we owned before moving to Texas in 2008, doubled in 5-7 years. The folks moving here from CA see "doubling every 10 years or less" as normal so they are willing to pay stupid money. This obviously creates its own bubble, which will continue to grow for a while longer.

There will be a correction because there always is. The only question is how much and when?

Marc

A Democracy is when two wolves and a lamb vote on the dinner menu. That is why this country was specifically not designed as a Democracy. We are a Constitutional Republic.
Re: Property Values Crazy. [Re: Marc K] #8535174 02/19/22 02:33 AM
T
Tin Head Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
It's a cycle and always has been. The difference is that the more radical cycle has arrived in Texas. My wife is a native Texan, but I was raised in CA. Each of the three homes that we owned before moving to Texas in 2008, doubled in 5-7 years. The folks moving here from CA see "doubling every 10 years or less" as normal so they are willing to pay stupid money. This obviously creates its own bubble, which will continue to grow for a while longer.

There will be a correction because there always is. The only question is how much and when?

Marc

theres a cycle and there is also 30 year old documents stating "the plan" , of course they are "conspiracy theory" ..... push folks into a centralized local known as smart cities. Crash the economy and switch it all over to a cashless society, just to start.

[Linked Image]
Re: Property Values Crazy. [Re: Tin Head] #8535227 02/19/22 03:45 AM
B
Buzzsaw Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
B
Originally Posted by Tin Head

Marc

theres a cycle and there is also 30 year old documents stating "the plan" , of course they are "conspiracy theory" ..... push folks into a centralized local known as smart cities. Crash the economy and switch it all over to a cashless society, just to start.

OK Tin, you're officially scaring me now. I can see this chit really happening NOW.

SPACE FOR RENT

Re: Property Values Crazy. [Re: Marc K] #8535240 02/19/22 03:55 AM
D
DocHorton Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
D

Marc

The median price for a home in CA is almost $800k and almost $400 psf. In Texas it is at under $400k and under $200 psf. I'd say we have at least another 50% appreciation to go over the next 5-10 years.

There will be a correction at some point, but just like in 2008-9 it won't hit Texas near as bad as the coasts, IMO.

Re: Property Values Crazy. [Re: DocHorton] #8535337 02/19/22 02:00 PM
S
Stub Online Happy OP
THF Celebrity
OP Online Happy
THF Celebrity
S

Marc

The median price for a home in CA is almost $800k and almost $400 psf. In Texas it is at under $400k and under $200 psf. I'd say we have at least another 50% appreciation to go over the next 5-10 years.

There will be a correction at some point, but just like in 2008-9 it won't hit Texas near as bad as the coasts, IMO.

Yes there will be a correction at some point, nothing like the financial crisis of 2008 due to stricter banking/ lending laws from the aftermath of that crisis.
There were a lot of other long standing root factors that allowed this debacle to occur, see link below.

I was in the mortgage business back then and there were all different kinds of bad loans available then to almost everyone.
Initially interest rates were low, there was a housing boom going on and lenders were lending money to every Tom, Dick & Harry that could fog a mirror.
Chit started hitting the fan, interest rates rising, housing market going cold values of homes declining.

Subprime loans:
A big portion of subprime loans were ARMS or Adjustable Rate Mortgages that offered a lower interest rate & payment for the first two, three or five years and adjusted up or down every 6 months after that depending on where the LIBOR was at.
Problem was when most of these loans were made the interest rates were fairly low and the interest rates started climbing and kept climbing dramatically increasing their mortgage payment.

Balloon loans where the payment was fixed at a lower rate usually for 5- 10 years then you had to pay off the balance or refi it.

NINA -No Income, No Asset loans where you did not have to prove income or assets to qualify.

Interest only loans allowed people to qualify for loan based off the interest only portion of the payment. They did not have pay interest of principal in their payment for the first 3-6 months and then it would adjust up with the principal included

Negative Amortization loans they were not even paying the full amount of the interest only portion. This is the same as an interest only except when the adjustment period started they added the additional interest that was not paid back into the payment, I refused to do these loans.

Also Appraisers were fudging the real values of the homes, inspectors were letting stuff slide, there was a whole lot of Jicky stuff going on to make sure a loan got done.

https://www.fool.com/investing/gene...s-that-caused-or-contributed-to-the.aspx

1. Mark-to-market accounting. In the early 1990s, the Securities and Exchange Commission and the Financial Accounting Standards Board started requiring public companies to value their assets at market value as opposed to historical cost -- a practice that had been discredited and abandoned during the Great Depression. This pushed virtually every bank in the country into insolvency from an accounting standpoint when the credit markets seized in 2008 and 2009, thereby making it impossible to value assets.

2. Ratings agencies. The financial crisis couldn't have happened if the three ratings agencies -- Standard & Poor's, Fitch, and Moody's -- hadn't classified subprime securities as investment grade. Part of this was incompetence. Part of it stemmed from a conflict of interest, as the ratings agencies were paid by issuers to rate the securities.

3. Infighting among financial regulators. Since its inception in 1934, the FDIC has been the most robust bank regulator in the country -- the others have, at one time or another, included the Office of the Comptroller of the Currency, the Federal Reserve, the Office of Thrift Supervision, the Securities and Exchange Commission, the Federal Savings and Loan Insurance Corporation, and an assortment of state regulatory agencies. But thanks to infighting among regulators, the FDIC was effectively excluded from examining savings and investment banks within the OTS's and SEC's primary jurisdiction between 1993 and 2004. Not coincidentally, those were the firms that ended up wreaking the most havoc.

4. Securitization of loans. Banks traditionally retained most of the loans that they originated. Doing so gave lenders incentive, albeit imperfectly, to underwrite loans that had only a small chance of defaulting. That approach went by the wayside, however, with the introduction and proliferation of securitization. Because the originating bank doesn't hold securitized loans, there is less incentive to closely monitor the quality of underwriting standards.

5. Credit default swaps. These are fancy financial instruments JPMorgan Chase developed in the 1990s that allowed banks and other institutional investors to insure against loan defaults. This situation led many people in the financial industry to proclaim an end to credit risk. The problem, of course, is that credit risk was just replaced by counterparty risk, as companies such as American International Group accumulated far more liability than they could ever hope to cover.

6. Economic ideology. As the 1970s and '80s progressed, a growing cohort of economists began proselytizing about the omniscience of unrestrained free markets. This talk fueled the deregulatory fervor coursing through the economy at the time, and it led to the belief that, among other things, there should be no regulatory body overseeing credit default swaps.

7. Greed. The desire to get rich isn't a bad thing from an economic standpoint. I'd even go so far as to say that it's necessary to fuel economic growth. But greed becomes bad when it's taken to the extreme. And that's what happened in the lead-up to the crisis. Homeowners wanted to get rich quick by flipping real estate. Mortgage originators went to great lengths, legal and otherwise, to maximize loan volumes. Home appraisers did the same. Bankers were paid absurd amounts of money to securitize toxic subprime mortgages. Rating agencies raked in profits by classifying otherwise toxic securities as investment-grade. Regulators were focused on getting a bigger paycheck in the private sector. And politicians sought to gain popularity by forcing banks to lend money to their un-creditworthy constituents.

8. Fraud. While very few financiers have been prosecuted for their role in the financial crisis, don't interpret that to mean that they didn't commit fraud. Indeed, the evidence is overwhelming that firms up and down Wall Street knowingly securitized and sold toxic mortgage-backed securities to institutional investors, including insurance companies, pension funds, university endowments, and sovereign wealth funds, among others.

9. Short-term investment horizons. In the lead-up to the crisis, analysts and investors castigated well-run firms such as JPMorgan Chase and Wells Fargo for not following their peers' lead into the riskiest types of subprime mortgages, securities, and derivatives. Meanwhile, the firms that succumbed to the siren song of a quick profit -- Citigroup, for instance -- were the first to fail when the house of cards came tumbling down.

10. Politics. Since the 1980s, bankers and politicians have formed an uneasy alliance. By conditioning the approval of bank mergers on the Community Reinvestment Act, politicians from both sides of the aisle have effectively blackmailed banks into providing loans to un-creditworthy borrowers. While banks and institutional investors absorbed the risks, politicians trumpeted their role in expanding the American dream of homeownership.

11. Off-balance-sheet risk. Why did investors allow financial firms to assume so much risk? The answer is that no one knew what they were up to because most of the risky assets weren't reflected on their balance sheets. They had been securitized and sold off to institutional investors, albeit with residual liability stemming from warranties that accompanied the sales, or were corralled in so-called special-purposes entities, which are independent trusts that the banks established and administered. Suffice it to say that all of the residual liability flooded back onto the banks' balance sheets only after the you-know-what hit the fan.

12. Bad economic assumptions. As moronic as it seems in hindsight, it was generally assumed before the crisis that home prices would never decline simultaneously on a nationwide basis. This belief led underwriters of and investors in mortgage-backed securities to believe that geographically diversified pools of mortgages were essentially risk-free when they obviously were not.

13. High oil prices. Beginning with the twin oil embargoes of the 1970s, oil-producing countries began accumulating massive reserves of so-called petrodollars which were then recycled back into the U.S. financial system. This situation pressured banks and other types of financial firms to put the money to work in increasingly marginal ways, such as subprime mortgages.

14. A broken international monetary system. One of the most underappreciated causes of the financial crisis was the trade imbalance between the developing and developed worlds. By keeping their currencies artificially depressed versus the U.S. dollar -- which is done by buying dollars with newly printed native currencies -- export-oriented nations such as China accumulated massive reserves of dollars. Like the petrodollars of the 1980s and '90s, these funds were then recycled back into the U.S. financial system. To put this money to use, financial firms had little choice but to lower underwriting standards and thereby grow the pool of potential borrowers.

15. The rescue of Bear Stearns. In March 2008, the Federal Reserve saved Bear Stearns with a last-minute $30 billion loan supplied through JPMorgan Chase. As opposed to failing, the nation's fifth-largest investment bank at the time ended up being sold for $10 a share. The problem with the rescue, however, was that it reduced the incentive on Lehman Brothers CEO Dick Fuld to find a private-sector solution to its even bigger, and eventually fatal, problems. In hindsight, it seems relatively clear that the Fed should have either let Bear Stearns fail or, much more preferably, bailed both of them out.

16. Lehman Brothers' bankruptcy. Allowing Lehman Brothers to fail was a mistake of epic proportions. History clearly demonstrates that the downfall of a major money-center bank -- be it a commercial or investment bank -- almost always triggers wide-scale financial panics. In 1873, it was Jay Cooke & Company. In 1884, it was Grant & Ward. In 1907, it was the Knickerbocker Trust Company. I could go on and on with examples. The point being, despite the admittedly unsavory thought of bailing out someone as aggressively offensive as Dick Fuld, it would have been a small price to pay to avoid the subsequent economic carnage.

17. The "Greenspan put." For two decades following the stock market crash of 1987, the Federal Reserve, guided by then-Chairman Alan Greenspan, lowered interest rates after every major financial shock, a trend that became known as the Greenspan put. It was this strategy, intended to stop financial shocks from transforming into economic downturns, that led the central bank to drop the Fed funds rate after the 9/11 terrorist attacks. And it was this drop that provided the oxygen, if you will, to inflate the housing bubble.

18. Monetary policy from 2004 to 2006. Just as low interest rates led to the housing bubble, the Fed's policy of raising rates from 2004 to 2006 eventually caused it to burst.

19. Basel II bank capital rules. Any time an economy experiences a severe financial shock, one of the biggest problems is that undercapitalized banks will be rendered insolvent. That's true in part because of the absurd application of mark-to-market accounting during periods of acute stress in the credit markets, and in part because banks are highly leveraged, meaning that they hold only a small slice of capital relative to their assets. The so-called Basel II capital rules, which took effect in 2004, accentuated this reality. The rules allowed banks to substitute subordinated debt and convertible preferred stock in the place of tangible common equity. The net result was that tangible common equity at certain major U.S. banks declined to less than 4% on the eve of the crisis.

20. Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac. Much has been written about the role Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac played in the lead-up to the financial crisis, so I won't dwell on it here. In short, the problem was that these two quasi-public corporations became so focused on growth at all costs that they abandoned any semblance of prudent risk management. Doing so allowed mortgage-brokers-cum-criminal enterprises such as Countrywide Financial and Ameriquest Mortgage to stuff the government-sponsored entities to the gills with shoddily originated subprime mortgages.

21. The failure of IndyMac Bank. The $32 billion IndyMac Bank was the first major depository institution -- it was technically a thrift as opposed to a commercial bank -- to fail during the crisis when the Office of Thrift Supervision seized it on July 11, 2008. In a situation like this, the FDIC traditionally insures all depositors and creditors against losses, irrespective of the insurance limit. But in IndyMac's case, it didn't. The FDIC chose instead to only guarantee deposits up to $100,000. Doing so sent a shockwave of fear throughout the financial markets and played a leading role two months later in the debilitating run on Washington Mutual.

22. The failure of Washington Mutual. By the time Washington Mutual failed in September 2008, the FDIC had recognized its mistake in dealing with IndyMac Bank. But this time around, while the FDIC covered all deposits irrespective of the insurance limit, it allowed $20 billion of WaMu's bonds to default. After that, banks found it difficult, and in many cases impossible, to raise capital from anyone other than the U.S. government.

23. Pro-cyclical regulation of loan loss reserves. The more one learns about the causes of the financial crisis, the more one appreciates how incompetent the Securities and Exchange Commission is when it comes to regulating financial institutions. In 1999, the SEC brought an enforcement action against SunTrust Banks, charging it with manipulating its earnings by creating excessive loan loss reserves. At the time, default rates were extremely low, leading the SEC to conclude that SunTrust shouldn't be reserving for future losses. Banks took note and no longer set aside reserves until specific future losses are likely and can be reasonably estimated -- by which point, of course, the proverbial cat is already out of the bag.

24. Shadow banking. While hundreds of traditional banks failed in the wake of the financial crisis, they share little responsibility for what actually happened. That's because shadow banks -- i.e., investment banks and thrifts that didn't fall under the primary regulatory purview of the Federal Reserve, FDIC, or, to a lesser extent, the Office of the Comptroller of the Currency -- caused most of the damage. Here's Richard Kovacevich, the former chairman and CEO of Wells Fargo, addressing this point in a speech at the end of last year:

If you don't remember anything else I say today, please remember this: Only about 20 financial institutions perpetrated this crisis. About half were investment banks, and the other half were savings and loans. Only one, Citicorp, was a commercial bank, but [it] was operating more like an investment bank. These 20 failed in every respect, from business practices to ethics. Greed and malfeasance were their modus operandi. There was no excuse for their behavior, and they should be punished thoroughly, perhaps even criminally.

25. Ignorance of history. When it comes to the financial system, it can't be said often enough that history repeats itself time and time again. The financial crisis of 2008-09 may seem unique, but it was only the latest in a series of eerily similar crises that have struck the U.S. economy since the country was founded more than 200 years ago. In short, crises like these don't have to be inevitable. But they will continue to be so if every other generation's leading financiers don't spend some time in the library learning about the mistakes of their predecessors. As former FDIC Chairman Irving Sprague put it, "Unburdened with the experience of the past, each generation of bankers believes it knows best, and each new generation produces some who have to learn the hard way."

Last edited by Stub; 02/19/22 02:01 PM.

texas flag

Re: Property Values Crazy. [Re: DocHorton] #8535340 02/19/22 02:12 PM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal

Marc

If we hit $400 a sq ft in my hood ft I’m selling everything and moving to WY. No way I’m paying property tax in that. W/ that said there is one across the street In another division listed at $800sqft. Its pretty fancy though

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

Re: Property Values Crazy. [Re: Stub] #8535351 02/19/22 02:22 PM
B
BigfootWallace Offline
Tracker
Tracker
B
I don't see how some pay property tax now. Thousands of dollars in tax for a tiny sliver of "land" you can't do anything with. Ag exempt is the only way to live IMO.

No school district is worth it either, kids turn out just fine without paying exorbitant property taxes just to live in a "nice area" as they call it.

Re: Property Values Crazy. [Re: Stub] #8535356 02/19/22 02:27 PM
B
BradyBuck Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
B
My house and property has almost double in value over the past two years and im out in the middle of nowhere Clyde, TX.

I bought 16 acres and 2700 sq ft house for $380k in January of 2020.

If I put it on the market today if list it for $650k-700k

It's unreal. The problem is then what do I do?

HRCH Washita's Kimber Locked N Loaded
GRHRCH Firefly's Rally The Troops MH
Re: Property Values Crazy. [Re: BigfootWallace] #8535363 02/19/22 02:34 PM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted by BigfootWallace
I don't see how some pay property tax now. Thousands of dollars in tax for a tiny sliver of "land" you can't do anything with. Ag exempt is the only way to live IMO.

No school district is worth it either, kids turn out just fine without paying exorbitant property taxes just to live in a "nice area" as they call it.

I disagree with school district but agree the taxation values have gotten ridiculous

Re: Property Values Crazy. [Re: BigfootWallace] #8535371 02/19/22 02:38 PM
T
TPACK Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
T
The Californian that bought 15 acres acres next door to me not long ago built a big roping arena as soon as they got here. They have a big roping once a month. Supposedly makes $20k per roping.

Those kinds of properties are popping up all around Stephenville / Erath County. Every rural piece of property that sells is bought from someone from California, Nevada, Wyoming, Montana or some other state out west. New horse barns and arenas are first thing to go up with a house or barn dominium to follow. I have seen several that the owners didn`t even move into for a couple of years.

Re: Property Values Crazy. [Re: BigfootWallace] #8535408 02/19/22 03:23 PM
R
RedRanger Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
R

People have jobs and work, some make tons of money, we live in the USA if you work hard you will be rewarded

For me I don't want to live out in the country, I love Frisco it so modern and so many things to do and so many great places to eat. Almost everyone I know who moves out in the country has to pay more for everything and cry about not being able to get services

Page 2 of 28 1 2 3 4 27 28
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide