Print Thread
Hunting hogs in windy conditions #8532359 02/15/22 10:17 PM
T
Texas Dan Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
T
Does windy conditions shut down feral hog movement the way many folks claim it does with deer? Thinking about going hog hunting tomorrow but the weather forecast is calling for winds approaching 30mph.

TIA

"Some people will never like you because your spirit irritates their demons."
Re: Hunting hogs in windy conditions [Re: Texas Dan] #8532528 02/16/22 02:35 AM
D
Douglas Tipton Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
D
Worked for me tonight....

Re: Hunting hogs in windy conditions [Re: Texas Dan] #8532539 02/16/22 02:45 AM
B
Biscuit Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
B
They still get hungry

Re: Hunting hogs in windy conditions [Re: Texas Dan] #8532625 02/16/22 05:05 AM
C
COKEMAN Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
C
They'll still move and eat, but will seem a little more nervous. I only bow hunt them and I prefer windy. In a tree stand, it helps blow your scent over their backs if you're forced to hunt unfavorable wind direction. Not as easy to hear them coming though. Turn your head and, poof, there they are.

Re: Hunting hogs in windy conditions [Re: Texas Dan] #8532713 02/16/22 01:11 PM
M
mikei Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
M
Like Biscuit said: they still get hungry! And they burn a lot of calories just being a hog. I got this one last night, right at dusk, and the wind was making my box blind shake, rattle, and roll a bit!

[Linked Image]

Gear up and go get 'em!!

Re: Hunting hogs in windy conditions [Re: Texas Dan] #8532719 02/16/22 01:18 PM
H
hook_n_line Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
H
We used to hunt a wide open field on the Brazos. Windy days were my favorite days to hunt it for hogs. They would graze the field using the cane brakes as cover.

Sometimes it's hard being me! But somebody has to do it.
Re: Hunting hogs in windy conditions [Re: Texas Dan] #8532843 02/16/22 03:20 PM
Double Naught Spy Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Here is my take based on what I see in north Texas. As noted, they still gotta eat. This is why things like solunar tables and moon phases really don't play out when it comes to pig hunting. You have to be where the hogs are. Most hunters get that wrong and assume that the hogs have to be where the hunters are, or the hogs "aren't moving." This is a very hunter-centric perspective and I certainly understand that if you aren't seeing hogs where you are, then in your view of the world at that time, the hogs "aren't moving." However, it isn't the hogs' fault if you don't know where they are and are active, LOL. Except when they are bedded to sleep or huddled up in a group or hunkered down (boars) during a storm (and they don't always huddle up or hunker down during storms) they are going to be out moving.

Probably the best hunting conditions, wind-wise and IMHO, are around 10 mph winds. So long as the hogs are not down wind of you, the wind is fast enough to cause enough noise to cover the sounds of your movements but not fast enough to make the hogs too jittery. Winds under 5 mph result in some of the quietest hunting conditions, and hunter sounds are a much more significant factor when it comes to spooking hogs. Somewhere upwards of 20 mph, the hogs become noticeably less active in open areas. That is NOT to say that they are inactive, just less active. It is generally above 15 mph winds where shooters using shooting sticks will start to noticeably suffer from buffeting of the wind, especially lateral, full value winds.

For those with feeders in forested (wind sheltered) areas, it can be really noisy when the winds get over 20 mph, but the hogs still come.

At 30-40 mph winds, driving sucks, stalking sucks, walking into the wind is like walking up hill, and being steady on your shooting sticks is a challenge and your effective range of shooting deteriorates fairly significantly because you can't hold on target as well. Hogs are largely NOT out in open fields during this time, but are sometimes.

I don't believe I have hunted much where the winds were over 40 mph.

With all that said, a lot of my best hunts have been when things were in the 15-25 mph and a couple of my most epic hunts (based on how I felt about them) were when winds were over 30 mph. There is just something about being out in a field with a sounder of hogs in high winds and fighting with all the buffeting and dust and grit in the air and having to shout over the wind in order to be heard to communicate with your hunting partner that just ratchets up the emotion of the situation. In other words, the conditions suck, but if you persevere, you feel accomplished.

Of course, there are exceptions. When we used to hunt an oat field down in Bosque County, when the oat was up, it didn't matter what the winds were doing, we were going to see hogs if they were tall enough to be seen over the tops of the oat.

Hogdalorian - Si vis pacem cum sus, para bellum.
My Videos https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange
Re: Hunting hogs in windy conditions [Re: Double Naught Spy] #8532911 02/16/22 05:12 PM
F
flintknapper Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Originally Posted by Double Naught Spy
Here is my take based on what I see in north Texas. As noted, they still gotta eat. This is why things like solunar tables and moon phases really don't play out when it comes to pig hunting. You have to be where the hogs are. Most hunters get that wrong and assume that the hogs have to be where the hunters are, or the hogs "aren't moving." This is a very hunter-centric perspective and I certainly understand that if you aren't seeing hogs where you are, then in your view of the world at that time, the hogs "aren't moving." However, it isn't the hogs' fault if you don't know where they are and are active, LOL. Except when they are bedded to sleep or huddled up in a group or hunkered down (boars) during a storm (and they don't always huddle up or hunker down during storms) they are going to be out moving.

Probably the best hunting conditions, wind-wise and IMHO, are around 10 mph winds. So long as the hogs are not down wind of you, the wind is fast enough to cause enough noise to cover the sounds of your movements but not fast enough to make the hogs too jittery. Winds under 5 mph result in some of the quietest hunting conditions, and hunter sounds are a much more significant factor when it comes to spooking hogs. Somewhere upwards of 20 mph, the hogs become noticeably less active in open areas. That is NOT to say that they are inactive, just less active. It is generally above 15 mph winds where shooters using shooting sticks will start to noticeably suffer from buffeting of the wind, especially lateral, full value winds.

For those with feeders in forested (wind sheltered) areas, it can be really noisy when the winds get over 20 mph, but the hogs still come.

At 30-40 mph winds, driving sucks, stalking sucks, walking into the wind is like walking up hill, and being steady on your shooting sticks is a challenge and your effective range of shooting deteriorates fairly significantly because you can't hold on target as well. Hogs are largely NOT out in open fields during this time, but are sometimes.

With all that said, a lot of my best hunts have been when things were in the 15-25 mph and a couple of my most epic hunts (based on how I felt about them) were when winds were over 30 mph. There is just something about being out in a field with a sounder of hogs in high winds and fighting with all the buffeting and dust and grit in the air and having to shout over the wind in order to be heard to communicate with your hunting partner that just ratchets up the emotion of the situation. In other words, the conditions suck, but if you persevere, you feel accomplished.

Of course, there are exceptions. When we used to hunt an oat field down in Bosque County, when the oat was up, it didn't matter what the winds were doing, we were going to see hogs if they were tall enough to be seen over the tops of the oat.

I agree with the above for the most part. But....I would add 'location/terrain' can have a lot to do with it. I've no doubt hogs continue to travel/feed in open areas when it is windy (even heavy winds) provided the temperature is not too cold. So....South Texas, West Texas, North Texas and Central Texas (though having different terrain features) are largely unaffected, save that hogs might be a little skittish.

When you come to East Texas (read the Pineywoods) it can be quite a different story. In areas where there is heavy forest (large Pines and Hardwoods) a heavy wind has a distinct effect on ALL animal movement. Heavy Wind is treated the same as a 'storm' moving through and the animals simply wait it out. They don't continue to travel and feed just because they are hungry.

By 'heavy' winds.....I mean consistent winds in excess of 30 mph. The timber is indeed buffering the wind....but that is exactly the problem. The tall trees are swaying, limbs are breaking off, the movement and noise combine to make just about everything very nervous. It's not like being among the Cedars in Central Texas, the Post Oak Savannah with its dotted trees or even a Live Oak Mott towards the Coast.

Those type of conditions in East Texas are literally always associated with a 'Front' moving through or a Storm of some type and generally do not last more than 24 hrs. But during those 24 hrs. you'd be well advised to stay home. Yes, the Hogs/Deer/Other are 'somewhere' hunkered down, they didn't cease to exist but you'll play hell trying to find them. Like most animals they don't HAVE to feed/water every day, they just 'prefer' to. They are adept at weighing the disadvantages of the weather vs. their need for sustenance.

You have wisely observed that WHERE you hunt and HOW you hunt can have quite a bearing on whether venturing out on a windy day/night might still prove fruitful.

Actually a full moon (overhead) causes me more problems (deep in the woods) than does most winds we get, but that is another subject.

Spartans ask not...how many, but where!
Re: Hunting hogs in windy conditions [Re: COKEMAN] #8532927 02/16/22 05:53 PM
D
Douglas Tipton Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
D
Originally Posted by COKEMAN
They'll still move and eat, but will seem a little more nervous. I only bow hunt them and I prefer windy. In a tree stand, it helps blow your scent over their backs if you're forced to hunt unfavorable wind direction. Not as easy to hear them coming though. Turn your head and, poof, there they are.

They can be quiet even on a still night.

Re: Hunting hogs in windy conditions [Re: Double Naught Spy] #8532930 02/16/22 06:08 PM
Gumbeaux Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker

Great video. I like how you take the time to put the wounded ones down quickly.

[Linked Image]
Re: Hunting hogs in windy conditions [Re: Texas Dan] #8533077 02/16/22 09:45 PM
B
Biscuit Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
B
Fantastic video double naught

Re: Hunting hogs in windy conditions [Re: Texas Dan] #8533143 02/16/22 10:58 PM
CharlieCTx Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
I've tried to hunt while windy a couple times, didn't see anything, so I was on the same "don't hunt when windy" bandwagon. I shoot my 2022 buck, the last weekend of the season, windy as all get out. There were also hogs at the hog feeder when I shot him.

You never know... until you go.

Charlie

Kel-Tec RFB + Griffin Sportsman Ultra Light 300 + Pulsar Apex XQ-50
M&P-10 + AAC Cyclone
Remy 700 + Leupold VX3 3.5x10x50 CDS
Re: Hunting hogs in windy conditions [Re: CharlieCTx] #8533171 02/16/22 11:38 PM
Double Naught Spy Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted by CharlieCTx
I've tried to hunt while windy a couple times, didn't see anything, so I was on the same "don't hunt when windy" bandwagon. I shoot my 2022 buck, the last weekend of the season, windy as all get out. There were also hogs at the hog feeder when I shot him.

Charlie

If I have only one night to hunt over the weekend (wife says, Pick one), I will pick a night that isn't supposed to be very windy. With that said, I won't not go simply because it is too windy, because as you said, "You never know... until you go."

Hogdalorian - Si vis pacem cum sus, para bellum.
My Videos https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange
Re: Hunting hogs in windy conditions [Re: Double Naught Spy] #8533243 02/17/22 01:03 AM
F
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Originally Posted by CharlieCTx

Charlie

If I have only one night to hunt over the weekend (wife says, Pick one), I will pick a night that isn't supposed to be very windy. With that said, I won't not go simply because it is too windy, because as you said, "You never know... until you go."

True. Not unlike 'people'.... there are smart pigs and not so smart pigs. All it would take would be for a not so smart pig to be out and about. I have a Brother-In-Law, that if he were a pig....would not only be out in a 40mph wind....but trying to fly a kite too. Swear to God....!

Re: Hunting hogs in windy conditions [Re: Douglas Tipton] #8534450 02/18/22 04:54 AM
C
COKEMAN Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
C
Originally Posted by Douglas Tipton

They can be quiet even on a still night.

No doubt about that. One particular sounder I am currently hunting are ninjas. I got the lead sow last week, so I'll see if she trained any replacements soon. smile

On the other hand, I have groups that come through like they are drunks on Saturday night.

Last edited by COKEMAN; 02/18/22 04:56 AM.
Re: Hunting hogs in windy conditions [Re: flintknapper] #8534459 02/18/22 05:13 AM
C
COKEMAN Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
C
Originally Posted by flintknapper
Actually a full moon (overhead) causes me more problems (deep in the woods) than does most winds we get, but that is another subject.

Same here. Especially the bigger boars. I don't think the shadows really are the problem, although they contribute. I think in the clearings, anyway, they feel a bit exposed stepping out into that spotlight after standing in the shadows.

Re: Hunting hogs in windy conditions [Re: COKEMAN] #8534828 02/18/22 06:40 PM
F
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Originally Posted by flintknapper

Same here. Especially the bigger boars. I don't think the shadows really are the problem, although they contribute. I think in the clearings, anyway, they feel a bit exposed stepping out into that spotlight after standing in the shadows.

up

If I am hunting back in the woods/timber and there is any wind to speak of (moving tree tops) then the shadows seem to spook them.

In my pastures....they are hesitant to expose themselves when it is bright out. Preferring to move before or after the moon is up. I've certainly killed hogs on moonlit nights (when bright) but I have noticed over the years a distinct difference the bright moon plays where I hunt.

Re: Hunting hogs in windy conditions [Re: Texas Dan] #8534970 02/18/22 10:20 PM
S
Sewer rat Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
S
I am no expert but I am convinced the wind is my best friend. I have 5 feeders with cell cams at my 327 acre place. Most days I have hogs at all five feeders morning and night. I have never seen a hog when I go sit in any of the five blinds and it is calm. If the wind I in my favor I almost always have success. It is so predictable and repeatable that when I see the wind is right I go chase hogs and when it isn't I stay home.

Re: Hunting hogs in windy conditions [Re: Sewer rat] #8534997 02/18/22 11:00 PM
F
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Originally Posted by Sewer rat
I am no expert but I am convinced the wind is my best friend. I have 5 feeders with cell cams at my 327 acre place. Most days I have hogs at all five feeders morning and night. I have never seen a hog when I go sit in any of the five blinds and it is calm. If the wind I in my favor I almost always have success. It is so predictable and repeatable that when I see the wind is right I go chase hogs and when it isn't I stay home.

Same is often true of deer. Hogs and deer both prefer a 'steady and predictable' wind. Swirling winds or winds that change direction repeatedly are a bane to them. it inhibits their ability to use their sense of smell to their advantage. I will always see more animals on days/night when there is a steady wind (but not too strong a wind). Hogs especially like to 'test the air' when approaching a bait site.

This time of year.....'thermals' are heavily at play also. Typically your scent will 'settle' with the cooler air in the evening and rise as daytime temps increase. Even modest changes in elevation (draws, slopes, etc) can experience thermals that you might need to take note of.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide