Re: LAND LOCKED ACREAGE [Re: Superduty] #8532367 02/15/22 10:26 PM
M
Marc K Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
M
Originally Posted by Superduty
Get a plane and parachute in, then cut you a helicopter landing field.

Or hire an attorney, cost will probably be the same.

peep

clap

A Democracy is when two wolves and a lamb vote on the dinner menu. That is why this country was specifically not designed as a Democracy. We are a Constitutional Republic.
Re: LAND LOCKED ACREAGE [Re: The Dude Abides] #8532538 02/16/22 02:42 AM
B
Biscuit Online Shocked
THF Celebrity
Online Shocked
THF Celebrity
B
Originally Posted by TXGUNNER308
Why would anyone buy LL property knowing there could be potential "right of way" or access issues? Cheap price?

Yes, much cheaper

Re: LAND LOCKED ACREAGE [Re: TXHOGSLAYER] #8532668 02/16/22 11:54 AM
S
Stub Online Happy
THF Celebrity
Online Happy
THF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted by TXHOGSLAYER

interesting. Thanks for posting

That it was up

texas flag

Re: LAND LOCKED ACREAGE [Re: DLALLDER] #8532777 02/16/22 02:10 PM
Y
yotehater Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
Y
Start with helicopter lessons.

One shot is all it should take.
Re: LAND LOCKED ACREAGE [Re: Biscuit] #8532852 02/16/22 03:36 PM
The Dude Abides Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted by Biscuit
Why would anyone buy LL property knowing there could be potential "right of way" or access issues? Cheap price?

Yes, much cheaper

Juice not worth the squeeze...too much drama.

I am still looking for the perfect apron, one with reinforced knee areas would be perfect.

Re: LAND LOCKED ACREAGE [Re: DLALLDER] #8532860 02/16/22 03:44 PM
D
Dave Scott Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
D
Thanks, being suspicious by nature I was always wary of this easement business.

Re: LAND LOCKED ACREAGE [Re: Biscuit] #8532870 02/16/22 03:47 PM
C
Cochise Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
C
Originally Posted by Biscuit

Yes, much cheaper

Much MUCH cheaper.

We buy these types of properties from time to time. A few years back we had an agreement for about a 200 acre place in Van Zandt County that all of the heirs wanted to sell....$100 /acre was the LOI they signed. With access, even an easement, it was a $3-4,000 retail all day long.

The landlocking owner however - was extremely hostile, extremely well connected in the county, and none of the owners had set foot on the property in 25-30 years. There's much more to it than that, but I'm not going to publicly put it out there as most from the county could figure out the details/hostile owner. Wasn't worth the court battle for us.

Some landlocked deals can be a home run - some are not worth the paper they're written on. It depends on a variety of factors and most certainly is almost always some type of headache. No one is "guaranteed" access like the article says....80% of the time it "can" be done...but at what cost. That's my experience at least.

Re: LAND LOCKED ACREAGE [Re: DLALLDER] #8532894 02/16/22 04:24 PM
The Dude Abides Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
LOI's are not worth the paper they are written on.

I am still looking for the perfect apron, one with reinforced knee areas would be perfect.

Re: LAND LOCKED ACREAGE [Re: DLALLDER] #8532981 02/16/22 07:34 PM
H
HS2 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
H
I'm not a lawyer nor do I play one on TV, but I did buy a piece of landlocked property a few years back and did a fair amount of research beforehand. Mine was a bit different in that I had just bought the property that was landlocking it. There were two acres in back of the property that i had just bought that the previous owners had trouble finding the deed. So I researched as much as I could about access to landlocked property, and here is what I understand is the case:

--The State of Texas laws discourage, but do not prevent, landlocked property. You can indeed buy property that you cannot access, but the state laws try to prevent this from happening. Landlocked property is in no one's best interest.

--If a piece of property is landlocked but has been traditionally accessed by a driveway or roadway, then the sale of any property cannot legally shut off that access. If people have been using an access for years, that access must continue even if there was no formal ownership or lease agreement. Obviously, someone could try to block access, and it might take a bit of time and money to regain the access, but legally they're not allowed to block an existing access, even if the landlocked owner never officially owned the easement.

--If someone has a larger piece of land, they cannot split off part of it and sell it as landlocked.

So with all that, common sense tells you that it's easier, faster, and cheaper to try to make friends with the neighbors and beg or buy an easement before buying a landlocked property than it is to buy it first then try to sue the neighbors that you'll be next to for the rest of your life.

Last edited by HS2; 02/16/22 07:41 PM.

Podcast: Reasoning Through the Bible
ReasoningThroughTheBible.com
Re: LAND LOCKED ACREAGE [Re: DLALLDER] #8533042 02/16/22 09:07 PM
Creekrunner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
I was contacted by a guy years ago that had bought 10 acres outside of Cotulla, inside the Story Ranch. I guess he bought it off the internet. He got our family name off of tax records. My greatgrandfather and grandfather (my dad's side) had apparently gotten involved in one of those railroad schemes - acreage (this was gonna be orchards) and a lot "in town", which, of course, the town never sprung up. At one time they owned 600+ acres. crying It was whittled down to 10 acres also by the time I became aware of it, that my mom and her 2 sister-in-laws had been paying taxes on for years. This guy that contacted me had tried to hunt his. laugh The Storys had high-fenced him out. He kept me abreast of his legal proceedings over the months that followed. First, they postponed the hearing 'cause it had come to light that the judge had been hunting on the Story Ranch. Second, they postponed the hearing because they realized that Mrs. Story had been put on the jury. rofl 'Never found out what happened to the poor bastard. We sold our 10 acres to the Storys. up

...and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. Gen. 1:28
Re: LAND LOCKED ACREAGE [Re: Creekrunner] #8533050 02/16/22 09:16 PM
T
txtrophy85 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by Creekrunner
I was contacted by a guy years ago that had bought 10 acres outside of Cotulla, inside the Story Ranch. I guess he bought it off the internet. He got our family name off of tax records. My greatgrandfather and grandfather (my dad's side) had apparently gotten involved in one of those railroad schemes - acreage (this was gonna be orchards) and a lot "in town", which, of course, the town never sprung up. At one time they owned 600+ acres. crying It was whittled down to 10 acres also by the time I became aware of it, that my mom and her 2 sister-in-laws had been paying taxes on for years. This guy that contacted me had tried to hunt his. laugh The Storys had high-fenced him out. He kept me abreast of his legal proceedings over the months that followed. First, they postponed the hearing 'cause it had come to light that the judge had been hunting on the Story Ranch. Second, they postponed the hearing because they realized that Mrs. Story had been put on the jury. rofl 'Never found out what happened to the poor bastard. We sold our 10 acres to the Storys. up

The Story’s would probably have a legitimate claim to an adverse possession suite against that acreage. The guy was barking up the wrong tree.

For it is not the quarry that we truly seek, but the adventure.
Re: LAND LOCKED ACREAGE [Re: DLALLDER] #8533053 02/16/22 09:19 PM
Creekrunner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
"suit". The other is at the Ritz. bolt

...and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. Gen. 1:28
Re: LAND LOCKED ACREAGE [Re: Creekrunner] #8533063 02/16/22 09:32 PM
H
Hudbone Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
H
. . . . . He kept me abreast of his legal proceedings over the months that followed. First, they postponed the hearing 'cause it had come to light that the judge had been hunting on the Story Ranch. Second, they postponed the hearing because they realized that Mrs. Story had been put on the jury. rofl 'Never found out what happened to the poor bastard. . . . .

in South Texas, you don't say.

Re: LAND LOCKED ACREAGE [Re: Creekrunner] #8533193 02/16/22 11:57 PM
T
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T

The Ritz meaning an upscale gentlemens club in Houston?

Ball has now been served back to you…

Re: LAND LOCKED ACREAGE [Re: Hudbone] #8533194 02/16/22 11:57 PM
T
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by Hudbone
. . . . . He kept me abreast of his legal proceedings over the months that followed. First, they postponed the hearing 'cause it had come to light that the judge had been hunting on the Story Ranch. Second, they postponed the hearing because they realized that Mrs. Story had been put on the jury. rofl 'Never found out what happened to the poor bastard. . . . .

in South Texas, you don't say.

Nah that kinda stuff never happens down there

Re: LAND LOCKED ACREAGE [Re: txtrophy85] #8533200 02/17/22 12:03 AM
Creekrunner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by txtrophy85

I have no knowledge of Houston, or of any "clubs" therein.

Re: LAND LOCKED ACREAGE [Re: DLALLDER] #8533225 02/17/22 12:37 AM
B
BDB Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B
I looked at some property that looked to be landlocked. The county attorney told me that in all likelyhood a judge would grant an easement if you pursued it. If enough research is done you will find that very little land is truly landlocked.

Re: LAND LOCKED ACREAGE [Re: Creekrunner] #8533336 02/17/22 02:35 AM
T
TXHOGSLAYER Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T

I have a koozy from there though I have no knowledge of how I procured it.

LETS GO BRANDON
Re: LAND LOCKED ACREAGE [Re: TXHOGSLAYER] #8533345 02/17/22 02:37 AM
Creekrunner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by TXHOGSLAYER

I have a koozy from there though I have no knowledge of how I procured it.

Riiiight. loser8

Re: LAND LOCKED ACREAGE [Re: DLALLDER] #8533553 02/17/22 10:51 AM
Y
yotehater Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
Y
Would you expect someone to give up some of their land just so you can come and go across their place as you like? A judge will tell you anything to get the current tax rate on you. Then what??? bang

One shot is all it should take.
Re: LAND LOCKED ACREAGE [Re: DLALLDER] #8533582 02/17/22 12:10 PM
F
fishdfly Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
F
Problem with ingress and egress across your property is some folks do not know how to behave while doing so.

If they rut up your road during extremely wet times, are they going to repair the damage?

Last edited by fishdfly; 02/17/22 12:59 PM.
Re: LAND LOCKED ACREAGE [Re: DLALLDER] #8538638 02/23/22 04:07 AM
BigRon Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
People get fired up over easements across their land, and understandably so. But sometimes it can't be helped if a previous owner granted it.

Our easement experience is a little messy.

1. We purchased 44 acres 2 years ago in Wise County that has had an easement for access for over 25 years. The easement went through the most level part of a neighboring 11 acre tract. Our driveway basically runs between the house and the rest of the property (actually right beside the house).

2. Seller tried to delete the easement for our 44 acres to raise the value of the 11 acre tract that the easement bisected, which was being sold to the seller's sister. To accomplish this, a driveway was bulldozed and built up across a low spot connecting to a private road on the other side of the land. We were fine with the arrangement.

3. But, as the closing date approached, the title company said they could not guarantee that we had a legal right to use the private road that the driveway was built to access. The title company attorney said he didn't know if the other residents on the private road could stop us from using the road, but he could not guarantee that we had the right to use the road. So no title policy could be issued unless the easement was put back in the deal.

4. We have and use the easement for ingress and egress. We put a gravel road on the easement beside the house on the 11 acres. The owner of the 11 acres, a very nice lady, would love for us to use the private road on the other side of the land and leave her land alone. But, if I don't have the right to access that road then I am not going to use it. The lady bought her land knowing we had the easement. She has asked us a few times about our coming and going and even asked that guests not be allowed to cross her land. I nicely but firmly refuse to have our easement limited in any way.

So easements can be a messy deal. Know before you buy that if you are buying land with an easement running through it, you almost have a public roadway through your land. I would not buy land with an easement running across it unless it was a very special situation. I certainly would not appreciate some judge granting an easement after I already owned my land because some yahoo got a cheap deal on some land and now wants to cross mine.

God is so good to me.
Re: LAND LOCKED ACREAGE [Re: DLALLDER] #8538742 02/23/22 12:58 PM
D
don k Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
My experience with easements. I own a road that a couple of other properties use to access their properties. One travels about a quarter on a mile through mine and the other about a mile. Neither have an easement of record. But both have used my property for over 30 years. Neither of the other properties have people living full time on them. Last year things changed to my benefit in a way. The property that travels the shortest through mine sold. The person that bought it also bought a property that borders a county maintained road. So now they could make a new road through their properties and not travel through mine. They approached me about continuing to use my property to access their other property. They were willing to compensate me financially. I told them no now that they had access to their new property through their own. That settled that. Now the people that traveled a mile through mine bought another property that also had access to another county road. I told them that I was going to lock the gates that were on mine and they would not have access though mine anymore. Since they now had access to theirs via a county road. They said they were not going to give up the access through mine. I contacted a land attorney and also the County Judge. They both told me to do it and see what happens. Well now nobody travels through mine except my family.

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide