Print Thread
Turkey Feeders? #8532857 02/16/22 03:41 PM
B
bankwalker Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
B
Anyone here use turkey specific feeders with any success in encouraging/increasing turkey numbers?

I have corn feeders in what I would consider large pens(10 hog panels in a circle) but the turkey don't seem willing to go into the pen so I except for the few kernels that the feeder throws outside the pen I'm not getting much attraction benefit from the corn feeders.

I was hoping a couple of turkey feeders with some milo would serve as a good attractant.

Last edited by bankwalker; 02/16/22 03:42 PM.

Bankwalker

Often Wrong...Never Uncertain!
Re: Turkey Feeders? [Re: bankwalker] #8532862 02/16/22 03:45 PM
H
hook_n_line Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
H
It took about 3 years for the turkeys to start getting in the feeder pens but they like eating in the road better.

[Linked Image]

Sometimes it's hard being me! But somebody has to do it.
Re: Turkey Feeders? [Re: bankwalker] #8532878 02/16/22 03:51 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
Google "elevated turkey feeder" and view what they look like. My advice it to build it larger than what they show. Turkeys are reluctant to fly up on the ones we built that small. Once we increased the size it was a never endless filling of the feeder. Turkey numbers became a PITA after a while on road corn and at certain blinds. Most ranches that built them quit using them after a while.

Are idiots multiplying faster than normal people?[Linked Image]
Re: Turkey Feeders? [Re: stxranchman] #8532899 02/16/22 04:29 PM
B
bankwalker Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
B
So the elevated aspect of the feeder is significant? As opposed to a turkey feeder on the ground like All Seasons or Lamco?

Bankwalker

Re: Turkey Feeders? [Re: bankwalker] #8532931 02/16/22 06:10 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
Originally Posted by bankwalker
So the elevated aspect of the feeder is significant? As opposed to a turkey feeder on the ground like All Seasons or Lamco?

If you like feeding coons, possums, skunks, rats, hogs, etc the height is not relevant.

Re: Turkey Feeders? [Re: bankwalker] #8532932 02/16/22 06:11 PM
Creekrunner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
My brother had some built in our shop out of old take-off/damaged line truck cab guards. We put them at the Sisterdale lease. "We" filled them once. Like everything else with that brother, someone else was supposed to handle them from there on out. To be fair, every other elevated turkey feeder that I've seen has been abandoned also.

No pens at my ranch and the turkeys are a nuisance. 'Wish there was MLD for turkeys. rifle

...and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. Gen. 1:28
Re: Turkey Feeders? [Re: stxranchman] #8532938 02/16/22 06:33 PM
B
bankwalker Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
B
Originally Posted by stxranchman

If you like feeding coons, possums, skunks, rats, hogs, etc the height is not relevant.

I would imagine if I like feeding those critters you mentioned then height is in fact relevant.

Clarification with a sprinkle of condescension. up

Seriously though... appreciate the input.

Bankwalker

Re: Turkey Feeders? [Re: Creekrunner] #8532939 02/16/22 06:35 PM
B
bankwalker Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
B
Originally Posted by Creekrunner
My brother had some built in our shop out of old take-off/damaged line truck cab guards. We put them at the Sisterdale lease. "We" filled them once. Like everything else with that brother, someone else was supposed to handle them from there on out. To be fair, every other elevated turkey feeder that I've seen has been abandoned also.

No pens at my ranch and the turkeys are a nuisance. 'Wish there was MLD for turkeys. rifle

I got lost here. Are you saying that the elevated feeders are not effective at attracting turkey? Or that empty elevated feeders are not effective at attracting turkey?

Bankwalker

Re: Turkey Feeders? [Re: bankwalker] #8532951 02/16/22 06:45 PM
Creekrunner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Elevate the feeder on as big a platform as you can and keep it full. The turkey should get used to it and land on the platform.

My area is unique. And, by clearing one area, I unwittingly, apparently created a perfect roost area. 100 turkeys (I kid you not) have no problem running off deer at a feeder.

...and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. Gen. 1:28
Re: Turkey Feeders? [Re: bankwalker] #8532953 02/16/22 06:46 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
Originally Posted by stxranchman

I would imagine if I like feeding those critters you mentioned then height is in fact relevant.

Clarification with a sprinkle of condescension. up

Seriously though... appreciate the input.

We built 4 elevated platforms to keep everything away from the feeder but turkey. We put 7' in the air and built the platform 8'x8' in size to put the turkey feeder on top of. You need to make the legs coon proof and recess them back under the feeder and not close to the edge or the coons will figure out how to climb up the platform leg to get to the feeder. Also do not put the platform close to any trees are the coons will move the Summer Olympics to your turkey feeder as the start to jump from the closest tree to your platform. They will then proceed to empty your feeder ASAP. Don't ask me how I know that coons will climb a tree to close to your feeder and jump to it. bang

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide