Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: Hunting over bait [Re: Russ79] #8531480 02/14/22 09:09 PM
T
txtrophy85 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by Russ79
I think part of the answer to why we put out feeders in Texas is that are not that great of a "food" agricultural state- sure we grow sorghum and some corn, but mainly cotton and hay. Southeastern states are more food agricultural states- corn, soybeans, wheat. About 20 or more years ago I started taking annual trips with my dad to visit family in eastern North Carolina. The farm my dad was raised on is still in the family and I got permission to hunt there when we would go visit. One year I noted that baiting became legal so one year I took a bucket feeder with me to hang from a tree- the husband of one of my cousins whose dad actually inherited the farm when my grandfather passed away is a big farmer- leases land all over and farms where my dad was raised. I said something to him about hanging my feeder and needed to go buy a bag of corn- he laughed, pointed at a silo, and said go get all you want. I hung the feeder but within two days the black bears had torn it down. From that point on I just looked for trails entering the fields and hunted them. Best year I ever had was one fall right after a hurricane- had flattened a big part of a corn field and was covered with deer, and bears if I had purchased a tag.

Large part depends on rainfall an area receives. Its common knowledge that hunting a corn feeder isn't a guarantee to a deer in East Texas. Lots of rainfall there and good natural groceries but very little agriculture aside from hay fields. Lots of deer get shot down in Frio County over feeders when there is a peanut field next door....and deer love peanuts. Lots of deer get shot off of alfalfa and wheat fields in the northwestern part of the state as well.

Its proven, in areas where people can bait, they will bait. It makes the game hunt the bait pile. but its not a guarantee for success. My buddy has a large ranch in South Texas. 30 + corn and protein feeders and 100's of acres of food plots. We always hunt the blinds with the food plots, because you will see alot more game at those stands than blinds without food plots. Most of the deer I've seen shot there came out of the oats patch, not under the corn feeder. If a deer has more natural options in my experience, it can make hunting bait less effective but not obsolete.

For it is not the quarry that we truly seek, but the adventure.
Re: Hunting over bait [Re: Harkriscar] #8531483 02/14/22 09:14 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
There is a difference between baiting and supplementing nutrition. You can bait with corn, protein, small grains, alfalfa, lab lab, agricultural crops, cowpeas, turnips, salt, minerals, acorns, water(yes I said water), etc. You can supplement with corn, protein, small grains, alfalfa, lab lab, agricultural crops, cowpeas, turnips, salt, minerals, acorns, water(yes, there I said it again), etc. Deer are going to eat every day and drink water everyday whether they find it on their own or we provide. How you approach and what you call is up to you. Many places in Texas don't have the soil quality or rainfall to grow crops. Many if not most of those who supplemental feed do not hunt over those feed stations. They use baiting as a way to quantify, observe, and manage the deer on their ranch, be it low fence or high fence it is still a management program copied by almost every other state. There many low fence ranches that produces just as good, if not bigger native deer than their HF neighbors do. HF does not guarantee bigger deer....older deer..100%. There are still ranches in the state that do not feed corn, supplemental feed or plant ag crops for their wildlife. They do manage the deer and allow to them age. As the flux of new Texas residents and those from cities flocking to the country buy up what was once large ranches for their little homesteads baiting is here to stay. When baiting is deemed as advantageous it is due to one issue....to many deer for the habitat to support. If it is successful it is due poor management. When deer have enough native forage they will only show up at a feeder if they are passing thru the area. When it gets dry they will visit more often but if the numbers are in the CC, then they will still not have the need to live off the feeder or food plot or ag crop.

Are idiots multiplying faster than normal people?[Linked Image]
Re: Hunting over bait [Re: txtrophy85] #8531490 02/14/22 09:18 PM
M
mickeyhft Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
M
Originally Posted by txtrophy85
Originally Posted by mickeyhft

Your argument is silly and is meant to be divisive. ...... End of story.

It's my observation that people who engage others, who are trying to have a dialogue, like this are silly and actually divisive. The OP's thoughts and questions are not an argument, but a discussion, and it is impossible for you to know his intention unless a person states it.

To the point of the discussion, baiting on small properties does affect neighbors, but at some point as the old sayin goes "if ya cain't beat 'em, join 'em."

If you don't think his post was not meant to be divisive ( and therefore silly ) then maybe, ya'll should get on a no-baiting lease together

What I think is irrelevant. Not surprised you missed the point. Not only is it literally impossible for you or anyone else to know anyone's intention about anything, the context of his words make it pretty simple to see he's not trying to be divisive but have a discussion. But hey, you go on thinking you've got things figured out and keep on being the divisive one who is unable to see or engage in thoughtful dialogue.

Oh and by the way, I've personally and professionally guided hundreds of kills over bait. And I've also hunted a great 80,000 acre Texas ranch with no bait, just all spot and stalk.

DFW Roofing Contractor - Priority Roofing
HuntFishThrive.com

We are all in this together!
Re: Hunting over bait [Re: Harkriscar] #8531499 02/14/22 09:29 PM
Creekrunner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Don't argue with the Irish. Truth is a social construct and exaggeration is an art form with that bunch. (I just made that up. True story.)

...and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. Gen. 1:28
Re: Hunting over bait [Re: Harkriscar] #8531572 02/14/22 11:12 PM
R
Russ79 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
R
The same folks from northern states that would snort in derision about hunting over a corn feeder have no problem hunting over a pile of sweet potatoes or apples that have been dumped to attract deer/

Re: Hunting over bait [Re: Harkriscar] #8531575 02/14/22 11:13 PM
R
Russ79 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
R
I use feeders not thinking it will attract a good buck but to attract the does that might bring in a buck during their rut stupidity.

Re: Hunting over bait [Re: Russ79] #8531731 02/15/22 02:19 AM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted by Russ79
The same folks from northern states that would snort in derision about hunting over a corn feeder have no problem hunting over a pile of sweet potatoes or apples that have been dumped to attract deer/

in Many Mid West states ag areas if you stopped at production you would see a very large decline in herd numbers as the carry capacity with out it is nominal at best, essentially winter due off would be extensive

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: Hunting over bait [Re: Harkriscar] #8531738 02/15/22 02:22 AM
T
Texas Dan Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Yes, there has been a steady progression of changes in how people view the concept of free chase. For me, it started in Mississippi back in the 70's when food plots first became popular. I used to chuckle at people who for some reason saw food plots as not being bait even though it was obvious they were planted to attract deer. They would rationalize food plots as being different on the belief they provided better nutrition. It's a belief that falls apart when you consider the nutrition that can be provided to deer through high-protein feed placed in feeders. As I would tell people back in the those days, it makes no difference, if you plant or provide it so that deer will show up to eat it, it's bait. If people want to raise and grow deer as if they were livestock, I say more power to them so long as they buy a license and obey bag limits.

I just hope enough people continue to hunt deer without the aide of bait so the knowledge and skills of past generations is not lost to future generations.

"Some people will never like you because your spirit irritates their demons."
Re: Hunting over bait [Re: Harkriscar] #8531763 02/15/22 02:49 AM
Sniper John Online Happy
gumshoe
Online Happy
gumshoe
The beauty is you have the freedom to do as you choose. I have a neighbor who's lease allows bow and muzzleloader only and no feeders. You have the freedom to put together a lease with similar rules if you wish. I have had many years where although I was on a lease, I spent more of my time deer hunting with a group who camped and hunted on public land where no feeding is allowed. On my current lease of 20 years, yes I have feeders, but much of my time there is spent hunting funnels, trails and lookouts, but if I wish to hunt the feeder I can. I have a choice. I have random chairs in the woods and on rocky bluffs all over the lease with trails cut to still hunt between them and no feeders are in those areas. Despite having hunting leases most of my adult life, every trophy mount on the wall in my house was taken on public land without the use of feed or food plots. When you also have those freedoms in Texas to choose where and how you hunt, why would you care how someone else hunts?

Re: Hunting over bait [Re: Harkriscar] #8531806 02/15/22 03:55 AM
H
Harkriscar Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
H
I agree how you hunt is a personal choice. My only problem with year round feeding with feeders is that it certainly draws deer from surrounding properties. My neighbor spends thousands of dollars on feeders. Do I think it affects my hunting on my land? Of course it does. So it either forces me to compete or accept that he’s drawing deer to his property. So it changes the natural order of things and favors those with more money and maybe lesser skills.

I also wonder if it’s really healthy for the herd to congregate them at the same feeding spot. I’m not a biologist so maybe someone can answer that.

But it’s legal, so I’m not bitching, just sharing my opinion. To each his own. Texas Dan and Sniper John, I agree with all you guys are saying.

I’ve seen many times that guys new to deer hunting immediately think putting out corn is the way to go, because that’s hyped so much. They never learn to study deer’s habits or learn the lay of the land. That’s the part of hunting I enjoy. Shooting a deer under a feeder just doesn’t thrill me like outsmarting him in his daily rounds.

But we’re all hunters and each of us can choose how. I’m ok with that.

Re: Hunting over bait [Re: Harkriscar] #8531836 02/15/22 05:15 AM
Sniper John Online Happy
gumshoe
Online Happy
gumshoe
Originally Posted by Harkriscar
I agree how you hunt is a personal choice. My only problem with year round feeding with feeders is that it certainly draws deer from surrounding properties. My neighbor spends thousands of dollars on feeders. Do I think it affects my hunting on my land? Of course it does. ....

I disagree. After a lifetime of hunting both private and public adjoining private, both over feeders and without, it is not what I have experienced. Deer love corn, but they need more nutrients than what corn provides and do seek it out. Your statement is no different than saying my neighbor has a pond and I don't so they never come to my side of the fence to drink. My neighbor has lots of oaks and I don't so I never see deer on my side eating acorns. Of course it does not work that way and Deer don't camp out at those places 24/7. Most people place stands and feeders at places deer want to travel no matter if a feeder is present or not. Feeders alone can't make up for poor deer habitat. You either have the habitat deer require or you don't.

Re: Hunting over bait [Re: Harkriscar] #8531898 02/15/22 12:49 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
I agree how you hunt is a personal choice. My only problem with year round feeding with feeders is that it certainly draws deer from surrounding properties. My neighbor spends thousands of dollars on feeders. Do I think it affects my hunting on my land? Of course it does. So it either forces me to compete or accept that he’s drawing deer to his property. So it changes the natural order of things and favors those with more money and maybe lesser skills.

To bad your other neighbors deer on the other 3 sides won't be crossing your land to access the neighbor who is feeding deer.....silly deer.

Re: Hunting over bait [Re: Harkriscar] #8531934 02/15/22 01:25 PM
L
Longhunter Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
L
Golf is always an alternative...Sure wish I had a couple of neighbors that fed like that, we would have some monsters.

Longhunter >>>-------> Make It Count!!!<><

Re: Hunting over bait [Re: Harkriscar] #8531942 02/15/22 01:34 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
The grass is always greener on the other side of the fence....

Re: Hunting over bait [Re: stxranchman] #8531949 02/15/22 01:46 PM
H
Hudbone Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
H
Originally Posted by stxranchman

Usually because the neighboring property owner takes better care of it.

Re: Hunting over bait [Re: Harkriscar] #8531953 02/15/22 01:49 PM
E
Erny Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
E
I’ve deer hunted for over 50 years. In SC, not Texas, but have enjoyed my Texas hunting and the great people I met there. And I’m not trying to start a war, but just wondered if others feel the way I do. I see the great extent many go to “enhance” their deer hunting. Elaborate feeders, nutritional supplements, high fencing, etc. Our state just legalized deer baiting a few years ago, so now it’s become pretty common. And yes, I’ve done it too. It certainly is effective. But I wonder if maybe we have gone too far and are forgetting that hunting the “old fashion way” without baiting deer really requires more skill and is more challenging. And perhaps our obsession with scoring deer has gone too far. Shooting a 200 class deer that has grown large due to high protein supplements in a high fence versus killing a nice 8 point after scouting and figuring out his patterns are two different ways of hunting. I prefer the latter. And I’m not condemning all the guys who spends tons of money baiting deer and growing them, but I think I get pleasure out of hunting the old fashion way. I wish baiting deer was never legalized here in SC.

Just because baiting is legal does not mean you have to bait. If you don’t like hunting with bait don’t. This is pretty simple.

Re: Hunting over bait [Re: Harkriscar] #8531963 02/15/22 01:55 PM
F
fishdfly Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
F
Deserving of a like.

Re: Hunting over bait [Re: Hudbone] #8531965 02/15/22 01:57 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
Originally Posted by Hudbone
Originally Posted by stxranchman

Usually because the neighboring property owner takes better care of it.

[Linked Image]

Re: Hunting over bait [Re: Harkriscar] #8531986 02/15/22 02:24 PM
T
txtrophy85 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T

This is your issue right here. You want to level the playing field by taking something away. Your neighbor is feeding more and you don’t want to, so instead of choosing to feed to the same level he is, your suggestion is to do away with it.

If it has to do with nature, nothing will ever be equal. Take away the feeders and he could still have better quality land, and therefore hold more game naturally. What would be the argument then?

Re: Hunting over bait [Re: Harkriscar] #8531991 02/15/22 02:27 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
There a so many things you can do to improve the hunting on your property besides feeding. Deer have daily and seasonal needs.

Re: Hunting over bait [Re: Harkriscar] #8531998 02/15/22 02:33 PM
Creekrunner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
The guy with more money than you might also have more skills than you. They're not mutually exclusive. This basic jealousy, although stated above politely, has been around since the dawn of man. Hence the 10th Commandment. grin

...and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. Gen. 1:28
Re: Hunting over bait [Re: Harkriscar] #8532013 02/15/22 02:49 PM
H
Hudbone Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
H
Nothing wrong with competition. In fact, it should make you stronger.

Re: Hunting over bait [Re: Hudbone] #8532112 02/15/22 04:30 PM
T
txtrophy85 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by Hudbone
Nothing wrong with competition. In fact, it should make you stronger.

[Linked Image]

Re: Hunting over bait [Re: txtrophy85] #8532122 02/15/22 04:46 PM
J
Jgraider Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J
It’s my observation that the people that complain about baiting and hunting “the old fashioned way” have usually only hunted whitetail deer, usually only in one area of one state, and typically only use a scoped modern centerfire rifle. Baiting is wrong, but it’s ok to shoot them from 300 yards out with a .270 and a 4x12 scope down a right of way that was made with a bulldozer……

Your argument is silly and is meant to be divisive. If you don’t want to bait, you don’t have to. No law stating you have to. End of story.

I agree. I've noticed that any time these ridiculous threads are posted, most of the time "I don't care how other's hunt" themes actually mean that they do care. They actually care alot or they wouldn't post a stupid question on the subject.

I think it would be a great idea to make feeding, baiting, or whatever you want to call it illegal. That way we could run over 10 times as many as we do on the highway ever year. I'm sure insurance companies wouldn't mind. I'm sure range conditions would vastly improve with the deer population increasing by about 5 times.

Re: Hunting over bait [Re: Jgraider] #8532145 02/15/22 05:08 PM
T
txtrophy85 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by Jgraider
It’s my observation that the people that complain about baiting and hunting “the old fashioned way” have usually only hunted whitetail deer, usually only in one area of one state, and typically only use a scoped modern centerfire rifle. Baiting is wrong, but it’s ok to shoot them from 300 yards out with a .270 and a 4x12 scope down a right of way that was made with a bulldozer……

Your argument is silly and is meant to be divisive. If you don’t want to bait, you don’t have to. No law stating you have to. End of story.

I agree. I've noticed that any time these ridiculous threads are posted, most of the time "I don't care how other's hunt" themes actually mean that they do care. They actually care alot or they wouldn't post a stupid question on the subject.

I think it would be a great idea to make feeding, baiting, or whatever you want to call it illegal. That way we could run over 10 times as many as we do on the highway ever year. I'm sure insurance companies wouldn't mind. I'm sure range conditions would vastly improve with the deer population increasing by about 5 times.

I feed a lot, year round and I appreciate the opportunity to be a good steward of the resource. My neighbor doesent start feeding until October, I’m certain he takes a deer or two that have been surviving off the feed I put out. But I’m not mad about it, because I’m certain I take a deer or two every year that spends 90% of its time on property that is not owned by me, only coming across to hit the drive thru and then walk back across. It’s part of the give and take. Unless he is shooting more than his share I don’t see why it matters f he is feeding more. Wildlife is certainly benefiting from it.

It’s the people that don’t want to give equal effort but want everything to be equal that stick in my craw

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide