Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Hunting over bait #8531212 02/14/22 03:31 PM
H
Harkriscar Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
H
I’ve deer hunted for over 50 years. In SC, not Texas, but have enjoyed my Texas hunting and the great people I met there. And I’m not trying to start a war, but just wondered if others feel the way I do. I see the great extent many go to “enhance” their deer hunting. Elaborate feeders, nutritional supplements, high fencing, etc. Our state just legalized deer baiting a few years ago, so now it’s become pretty common. And yes, I’ve done it too. It certainly is effective. But I wonder if maybe we have gone too far and are forgetting that hunting the “old fashion way” without baiting deer really requires more skill and is more challenging. And perhaps our obsession with scoring deer has gone too far. Shooting a 200 class deer that has grown large due to high protein supplements in a high fence versus killing a nice 8 point after scouting and figuring out his patterns are two different ways of hunting. I prefer the latter. And I’m not condemning all the guys who spends tons of money baiting deer and growing them, but I think I get pleasure out of hunting the old fashion way. I wish baiting deer was never legalized here in SC.

Re: Hunting over bait [Re: Harkriscar] #8531236 02/14/22 03:58 PM
D
DQ Kid Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
D
Just the evolution or devolution of hunting I suppose depending on the prism you view it through.

Re: Hunting over bait [Re: Harkriscar] #8531237 02/14/22 04:00 PM
D
DSpur72 Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
D
There are so many directions I could go with responding to your post - most you would certainly not like...But the easiest is - if you don't like it - don't do it.

It's just that easy...

Re: Hunting over bait [Re: Harkriscar] #8531249 02/14/22 04:07 PM
S
SnakeWrangler Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
Nothing stopping you from hunting the old fashioned way….

Originally Posted by Sneaky
I believe in science and I’m an insufferable [censored]
Originally Posted by beaversnipe
Actually, BBC is pretty damn good

"You Cannot Simultaneously Be Politically Correct And Intellectually Honest!"
Re: Hunting over bait [Re: DSpur72] #8531253 02/14/22 04:14 PM
S
Stevarino Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
S
Originally Posted by DSpur72
There are so many directions I could go with responding to your post - most you would certainly not like...But the easiest is - if you don't like it - don't do it.

It's just that easy...

I agree.. no need to divide this lifestyle like the naysayers. Keep it legal and the style you prefer and stop worrying about everyone else

Re: Hunting over bait [Re: Harkriscar] #8531254 02/14/22 04:14 PM
B
BDB Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B
“old fashion way”

Then you should be baiting and running them off cliffs.

Thats the beauty of hunting...to each there own. If wild game food is your main goal then kill them anyway within the law. If "sport" is the goal then take that as deep and challenging as you want. I personally cut down bois dark trees and made my own self bows and crafted wooden arrows back when I was younger. Deer, hog, elk, caribou and various small game all fell with those tools. I then went to "traditional" bows....wood wrapped in glass. Today I shoot a compound. I've seen hunting from all perspectives. To me its about just being honest with yourself as to what your doing. I've truly "hunted" in N.E. Tx with self bows over trail/rubs....and I sit in tripods over corn feeders with my compound today in west Tx. And in sept. I'll chase elk for weeks with my compound deep in the back country of the Rockies.

All the arguments and disagreements over weapons/tactics are just a big pile of horse$hit. You should hunt in your own world with your weapon and tactics and not let how someone on the other side of the country is doing it bother you. Poachers, pricks not picking up their trash, keeping public lands open, etc....those are where our concerns should be.

Re: Hunting over bait [Re: Harkriscar] #8531258 02/14/22 04:19 PM
B
booskay Offline
Tracker
Tracker
B
Rephrasing what the others have said--------That's the good thing about America -------- pick the way you like and do it that way ------ the gov does not dictate to you how to hunt.

Re: Hunting over bait [Re: BDB] #8531259 02/14/22 04:19 PM
E
ElkOne Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
E
This is the correct answer up
Originally Posted by BDB
“old fashion way”

Then you should be baiting and running them off cliffs.

Thats the beauty of hunting...to each there own. If wild game food is your main goal then kill them anyway within the law. If "sport" is the goal then take that as deep and challenging as you want. I personally cut down bois dark trees and made my own self bows and crafted wooden arrows back when I was younger. Deer, hog, elk, caribou and various small game all fell with those tools. I then went to "traditional" bows....wood wrapped in glass. Today I shoot a compound. I've seen hunting from all perspectives. To me its about just being honest with yourself as to what your doing. I've truly "hunted" in N.E. Tx with self bows over trail/rubs....and I sit in tripods over corn feeders with my compound today in west Tx. And in sept. I'll chase elk for weeks with my compound deep in the back country of the Rockies.

All the arguments and disagreements over weapons/tactics are just a big pile of horse$hit. You should hunt in your own world with your weapon and tactics and not let how someone on the other side of the country is doing it bother you. Poachers, pricks not picking up their trash, keeping public lands open, etc....those are where our concerns should be.

ElkOne
Re: Hunting over bait [Re: Harkriscar] #8531261 02/14/22 04:19 PM
B
BenBob Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
B
Hunting the old fashioned way involves having lots of land to hunt. If you have lots of land to hunt, get after your old fashioned hunting. If you only have 100 acres or so, old fashioned hunting will only take you a couple of hours and that is if you are very thorough. The price of leasing land determines how you hunt to some extent.

Tired, Wired, and Uninspired
Re: Hunting over bait [Re: SnakeWrangler] #8531268 02/14/22 04:27 PM
H
Harkriscar Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
H
I agree completely, and not trying to stir things up. My only reluctance and concern is that by allowing baiting, it affects me. Understand, unlike Texas, our hunting here is on much smaller tracts. There are no giant ranches or leases. My 300 acre property is pretty big as is my 1500 acre lease. But to a deer, that’s small. And when neighbors are spending tons of dollars on corn and commercial feed, it certainly affects natural deer movement. That’s my biggest reason that I wish baiting wasn’t legal. Otherwise, I’d have no problem with it.
Baiting doves or turkeys is illegal here. Why not deer? What’s the difference?

And I agree with DSpur, I don’t do it and can accept that my buddies do. It’s legal therefore I don’t have a problem with those that do. I just wish it weren’t legal. That’s just my opinion.

But sitting over a feeder or even over a food plot is not the kind of hunting I enjoy. That’s my choice. Guys that do that (and many of my friends do) are free to choose. But as I grow older, and after killing many deer, I’d rather hunt without these aids. That’s all I’m saying, certainly not condemning guys that hunt differently than me. We’re all hunters.

Re: Hunting over bait [Re: Harkriscar] #8531296 02/14/22 04:59 PM
H
hook_n_line Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
H
When I was a kid we used to be able to spot and stalk on 10,000 acres. Then people started leasing. No more spot and stalk. Feeders came in and I mean the old garbage cans with a mop stick feeders. Then came the spin feeders with timers. It was mostly about getting a hunter on a deer because the time they had to hunt was short. "Real hunting went away after the depression" my grandfather said. "People were hungry and game was scarce. Then people just killed to brag not because they were hungry. Hunting was a rich mans sport for a time. Poor people couldn't afford to hunt so they called it poaching."
roflmao

Sometimes it's hard being me! But somebody has to do it.
Re: Hunting over bait [Re: Harkriscar] #8531299 02/14/22 05:03 PM
B
BigfootWallace Offline
Tracker
Tracker
B
I always get a kick out of out of these questions. I work with alot of rural out of state guys who hunt and they have brought up Texas hunting and feeders/deer corn and how it's cheating. Where I hunt planted fields bring in WAY more deer in than feeders. I had 23 deer last night in a 10 acre oat field, they all walked past a feeder that had went off before they came out. Plenty of corn under it but they didn't care. They wanted the green stuff. Most out of state guys that hunt farmland/crop fields think nothing of it but act as if putting a feeder out will have deer stampeding into your spot.

Re: Hunting over bait [Re: Harkriscar] #8531316 02/14/22 05:16 PM
L
Longhunter Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
L
Range management and hunting travel corridors might be your answer. I doubt your state will change the law back, but you can try...

Longhunter >>>-------> Make It Count!!!<><

Re: Hunting over bait [Re: Longhunter] #8531329 02/14/22 05:32 PM
H
Harkriscar Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
H
Originally Posted by Longhunter
Range management and hunting travel corridors might be your answer. I doubt your state will change the law back, but you can try...

That’s true. There’s no putting the genie back in the bottle. Maybe if Wildlife Departments discover that central feeders promote the spread of disease (and that may be true) I don’t see the laws being changed back.

Re: Hunting over bait [Re: Harkriscar] #8531350 02/14/22 06:00 PM
BOBO the Clown Online Content
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted by Harkriscar
I’ve deer hunted for over 50 years. In SC, not Texas, but have enjoyed my Texas hunting and the great people I met there. And I’m not trying to start a war, but just wondered if others feel the way I do. I see the great extent many go to “enhance” their deer hunting. Elaborate feeders, nutritional supplements, high fencing, etc. Our state just legalized deer baiting a few years ago, so now it’s become pretty common. And yes, I’ve done it too. It certainly is effective. But I wonder if maybe we have gone too far and are forgetting that hunting the “old fashion way” without baiting deer really requires more skill and is more challenging. And perhaps our obsession with scoring deer has gone too far. Shooting a 200 class deer that has grown large due to high protein supplements in a high fence versus killing a nice 8 point after scouting and figuring out his patterns are two different ways of hunting. I prefer the latter. And I’m not condemning all the guys who spends tons of money baiting deer and growing them, but I think I get pleasure out of hunting the old fashion way. I wish baiting deer was never legalized here in SC.

I’m with you every farmer should have to HF deer out of their ag fields; winter wheat, alfalfa, corn, soybeans etc. it’s complete BS and not fair as those legumes and grains greatly inflate carrying capacity and creates an unfair hunting advantage

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: Hunting over bait [Re: Harkriscar] #8531357 02/14/22 06:09 PM
H
Harkriscar Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
H
My understanding as baiting rules for dove hunting is concerned, is that any normal agricultural practice is legal. But just throwing wheat on the ground to attract birds is not. That seems pretty reasonable and I believe would be a better law for deer as well. But that’s just my opinion. Obviously, most states now allow baiting for deer. Just wondering, can you bait other game in Texas, like turkeys?

Re: Hunting over bait [Re: Harkriscar] #8531358 02/14/22 06:11 PM
H
Harkriscar Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
H
By the way, high fencing is illegal in SC. That’s another touchy subject.

Re: Hunting over bait [Re: Harkriscar] #8531366 02/14/22 06:16 PM
T
txtrophy85 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
It’s my observation that the people that complain about baiting and hunting “the old fashioned way” have usually only hunted whitetail deer, usually only in one area of one state, and typically only use a scoped modern centerfire rifle. Baiting is wrong, but it’s ok to shoot them from 300 yards out with a .270 and a 4x12 scope down a right of way that was made with a bulldozer……

Your argument is silly and is meant to be divisive. If you don’t want to bait, you don’t have to. No law stating you have to. End of story.

For it is not the quarry that we truly seek, but the adventure.
Re: Hunting over bait [Re: Harkriscar] #8531386 02/14/22 06:43 PM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
By the way, high fencing is illegal in SC. That’s another touchy subject.

That’s dumb, how do you keep them out of baited ag fields?

You have any ag by you?

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

Re: Hunting over bait [Re: Harkriscar] #8531388 02/14/22 06:47 PM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
My understanding as baiting rules for dove hunting is concerned, is that any normal agricultural practice is legal. But just throwing wheat on the ground to attract birds is not. That seems pretty reasonable and I believe would be a better law for deer as well. But that’s just my opinion. Obviously, most states now allow baiting for deer. Just wondering, can you bait other game in Texas, like turkeys?

For turkeys most just plant milo field and shoot them with a 22-250, that way you can fill all 5 tags pretty easy.

Re: Hunting over bait [Re: Harkriscar] #8531434 02/14/22 07:44 PM
H
hook_n_line Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
H
I do both, plant and feed. I was told big deer don't go to feeders anyway.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Sometimes it's hard being me! But somebody has to do it.
Re: Hunting over bait [Re: txtrophy85] #8531447 02/14/22 08:01 PM
M
mickeyhft Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
M
Originally Posted by txtrophy85

Your argument is silly and is meant to be divisive. ...... End of story.

It's my observation that people who engage others, who are trying to have a dialogue, like this are silly and actually divisive. The OP's thoughts and questions are not an argument, but a discussion, and it is impossible for you to know his intention unless a person states it.

To the point of the discussion, baiting on small properties does affect neighbors, but at some point as the old sayin goes "if ya cain't beat 'em, join 'em."

DFW Roofing Contractor - Priority Roofing
HuntFishThrive.com

We are all in this together!
Re: Hunting over bait [Re: Harkriscar] #8531454 02/14/22 08:18 PM
onlysmith&wesson Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
The real bait is starting this thread, and I ain't taking it.

An unethical shot is one you take, that you know you shouldn't.
Re: Hunting over bait [Re: mickeyhft] #8531470 02/14/22 08:48 PM
T
txtrophy85 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by mickeyhft
Originally Posted by txtrophy85

Your argument is silly and is meant to be divisive. ...... End of story.

It's my observation that people who engage others, who are trying to have a dialogue, like this are silly and actually divisive. The OP's thoughts and questions are not an argument, but a discussion, and it is impossible for you to know his intention unless a person states it.

To the point of the discussion, baiting on small properties does affect neighbors, but at some point as the old sayin goes "if ya cain't beat 'em, join 'em."

If you don't think his post was not meant to be divisive ( and therefore silly ) then maybe, ya'll should get on a no-baiting lease together

For it is not the quarry that we truly seek, but the adventure.
Re: Hunting over bait [Re: Harkriscar] #8531473 02/14/22 08:53 PM
R
Russ79 Online Content
Tracker
Online Content
Tracker
R
I think part of the answer to why we put out feeders in Texas is that are not that great of a "food" agricultural state- sure we grow sorghum and some corn, but mainly cotton and hay. Southeastern states are more food agricultural states- corn, soybeans, wheat. About 20 or more years ago I started taking annual trips with my dad to visit family in eastern North Carolina. The farm my dad was raised on is still in the family and I got permission to hunt there when we would go visit. One year I noted that baiting became legal so one year I took a bucket feeder with me to hang from a tree- the husband of one of my cousins whose dad actually inherited the farm when my grandfather passed away is a big farmer- leases land all over and farms where my dad was raised. I said something to him about hanging my feeder and needed to go buy a bag of corn- he laughed, pointed at a silo, and said go get all you want. I hung the feeder but within two days the black bears had torn it down. From that point on I just looked for trails entering the fields and hunted them. Best year I ever had was one fall right after a hurricane- had flattened a big part of a corn field and was covered with deer, and bears if I had purchased a tag.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide