Print Thread
Looking for any types of steel to practice on #8531413 02/14/22 07:11 PM
J
Jamoke Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
J
Retired disabled Army veteran looking for scrap steel to practice welding on. Not looking for a handout, but not paying new prices. So if you have any pieces of steel or leaf springs, of any shape out in a field or that you don't plan on using, 1/8th to 3/16th. I will pay more than scrap prices. can be dirty or rusted but not rusted through. I will come to you to pick up what you can spare, again I am not reselling anything. Just trying to find a hobby that will keep my mind busy. Heck if anyone lives near Ft Hood or Belton and wouldn't mind teaching, that would be the best. I bought a Hobart Handler 210 yesterday at Tractor supply. I also bought fluxed and solid wire 10 lbs each, new helmet, gloves, tips, non stick and apron. I have the hammer and brush for removing scale. My father was a Master welder, he asked me when I was 8 if I wanted to be a welder when I grew up, I said no... he refused to ever teach me... He passed last year, It has always bothered me that I don't really know how. I have watched every episode in Forged in Fire, and also You tube videos, but nothing beats hands on work. My one daughter lives in Irving and works near DFW airport, The other lives and works in Liberty Hill, they can pick up small pieces that are not too heavy for me. Again any one willing to teach welding or forging would be greatly appreciated, even if I could just watch. Would be wonderful. I have been working on Ft Hood since I retired in 2008, So I am available mon-Fri after 430 PM or any weekend or holiday. I have a 17.5 Ft Alumacraft and would be willing to take someone out to trade what I know about Lake Belton fishing. Thanks for reading and Thanks if anyone can help. God Bless.

Re: Looking for any types of steel to practice on [Re: Jamoke] #8532131 02/15/22 04:55 PM
J
Jamoke Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
J
anyone have any junk lying around out in a field, could be small pieces, scrap of almost any kind? It is just for learning...

Re: Looking for any types of steel to practice on [Re: Jamoke] #8532435 02/16/22 12:20 AM
S
ShaneA Offline
Tracker
Tracker
S
Originally Posted by Jamoke
anyone have any junk lying around out in a field, could be small pieces, scrap of almost any kind? It is just for learning...

hey Jamoke, i'm also a vet,,,and broke ,,, and self taught welding,, well more like dirt dobber,,, but if i'm looking for steel for projects, we have a couple scrap yards
in town that i sell scrap to,, when i have any extra,,, but they will also sell me scrap, the big corp scrap yards probably won't sell you anything,,, but
if you can find a small yard owned by an individual,,, they will probably sell you some stuff

i have no advise on how to learn to weld,,, only advice i ever got was ,,, "" when you are doing it right, it sounds like bacon sizzling in the pan""

good luck brother

www.crawdaddyforge.com

Proverbs 3:6 In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths.
Re: Looking for any types of steel to practice on [Re: Jamoke] #8538839 02/23/22 02:25 PM
J
Jamoke Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
J
Thanks Shane I appreciate the advice, I have a great desire to learn to weld and to learn forging in the future. I don't have a forge yet and still looking for metal to play around with. If anyone is moving up to a bigger forge and has one that works that they want to sell or any tongs, or belt grinder, let me know I really want to build a small well stocked work area. Thanks everyone!!

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide