Forums46
Topics537,029
Posts9,719,585
Members86,989
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Trespassers Delta County -anyone recognize them? [Re: 603Country] #8531240 02/14/22 04:02 PM
H
Harkriscar Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
H
Originally Posted by 603Country
What Pappybear said is also my experience in hunting rabbits with dogs. The rabbit should circle back to about where the dogs jumped them. That usually was not a huge circle by the rabbit.

And, way back when, we hunted deer with the dogs. That was when dogs often left the immediate area and had to be found.

Here in Texas, if someone I knew asked for permission to retrieve dogs, I’d be Ok with it. As for the hog dog folks, they have been on my place without my permission once. In that instance I shot the hog, not the dogs. If they had made a habit of it, I’d probably shoot the dogs…reluctantly. I really would not want to do that.

What Pappybear said is also my experience in hunting rabbits with dogs. The rabbit should circle back to about where the dogs jumped them. That usually was not a huge circle by the rabbit.

And, way back when, we hunted deer with the dogs. That was when dogs often left the immediate area and had to be found.

Here in Texas, if someone I knew asked for permission to retrieve dogs, I’d be Ok with it. As for the hog dog folks, they have been on my place without my permission once. In that instance I shot the hog, not the dogs. If they had made a habit of it, I’d probably shoot the dogs…reluctantly. I really would not want to do that.

I agree with everything you say. My experience is the same.

Re: Trespassers Delta County -anyone recognize them? [Re: Harkriscar] #8531263 02/14/22 04:22 PM
1860.colt Offline
emoji colt.45
emoji colt.45
Originally Posted by Harkriscar
I said get mad when I see hunters with weapons on my property, who obviously are hunting without my permission. Or strangers just wandering around doing who knows what, perhaps looking to steal. But like I clearly said, a hunter who was legally hunting nextdoor, who simply comes on my land to retrieve his dogs that do what dogs are bred to do (chase a rabbit), I have no problem with that. And as I said, all rabbit hunters I know never start hunting until deer season is over, just to avoid potential conflicts. So no, I don’t see double standard.
So if you wound a deer, and it crosses a property line, and there’s no way to contact the property owner, what do you do? Give up on the blood trail and let it rot 100 yards across the line? Surely you wouldn’t trespass. Would you?

cheers used ta be hunter had an obligation ta follow up on wounded deer...
Big buck$ changed all that...

If hunters in pic, tore down fences, thats wrong...
OP'er said their was a bad spot in fence, confused2 how bad of a tear ?

Personaly would have talked ta neighbor were (hog doggers) entered,
Try work things out...

flag

i'm postaddic
Re: Trespassers Delta County -anyone recognize them? [Re: Harkriscar] #8531264 02/14/22 04:23 PM
The Dude Abides Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
I said get mad when I see hunters with weapons on my property, who obviously are hunting without my permission. Or strangers just wandering around doing who knows what, perhaps looking to steal. But like I clearly said, a hunter who was legally hunting nextdoor, who simply comes on my land to retrieve his dogs that do what dogs are bred to do (chase a rabbit), I have no problem with that. And as I said, all rabbit hunters I know never start hunting until deer season is over, just to avoid potential conflicts. So no, I don’t see double standard.
So if you wound a deer, and it crosses a property line, and there’s no way to contact the property owner, what do you do? Give up on the blood trail and let it rot 100 yards across the line? Surely you wouldn’t trespass. Would you?

Dude...you have totally missed the point a number of us have been stating. YOU GET PERMISSION FIRST; IN ADVANCE! MOST LAND OWNERS HAVE NO PROBLEM AS LONG AS YOU HAVE PERMISSION BEFORE YOU STEP ON SOMEONE ELSE'S PROPERTY.

Originally Posted by Superduty
I am still looking for the perfect apron, one with reinforced knee areas would be perfect.

Re: Trespassers Delta County -anyone recognize them? [Re: bassfishinglawyer] #8531274 02/14/22 04:37 PM
603Country Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
What I forgot to mention in my statement about rabbit hunting is that even if it’s after deer season, the dogs don’t know that. Even well trained beagles will get on a deer scent and head for parts unknown.

Not my monkeys, not my circus...
Re: Trespassers Delta County -anyone recognize them? [Re: The Dude Abides] #8531286 02/14/22 04:49 PM
H
Harkriscar Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
H
Originally Posted by TXGUNNER308

Dude...you have totally missed the point a number of us have been stating. YOU GET PERMISSION FIRST; IN ADVANCE! MOST LAND OWNERS HAVE NO PROBLEM AS LONG AS YOU HAVE PERMISSION BEFORE YOU STEP ON SOMEONE ELSE'S PROPERTY.

The land I’ve leased for 30 years (1500 acres) is bordered by about 30 other properties, most are unoccupied and I have no idea who owns them other than a name on a tax map. Some are only small lots, others larger. Certainly I have no contact information even though I’ve tried to meet any neighbors, especially if I know they hunt. So I agree in theory with what you suggest, and I try to not hunt near my property edges, occasionally the dogs do what dogs do…they follow the rabbit. I use my common sense, leave my gun on my property, and try to go get my dogs. Yes, I’m trespassing (but they’re no posted signs) but to me, it’s the only choice I have.

Re: Trespassers Delta County -anyone recognize them? [Re: 603Country] #8531304 02/14/22 05:06 PM
H
Harkriscar Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
H
What I forgot to mention in my statement about rabbit hunting is that even if it’s after deer season, the dogs don’t know that. Even well trained beagles will get on a deer scent and head for parts unknown.

That’s true, some dogs will get on a deer or fox. But usually you can tell. We use GPS collars and shock collars and at least can zap them if we suspect that’s the case. And it also helps when the dogs go where you don’t want them to go (like across a property line). But these gadgets are super expensive and have some limits.

Times change. In the south, rabbit hunting has been going on for a century, as was using hounds for other game. And as you said, rabbits don’t go far, and run circles so it’s at least manageable. But it’s a different world now. But rabbit hunting is lots of fun for those of you who have never been. And again, my apologies to the originator of this thread. I’ll shut up and quit my responses. Hope you identify the culprits and can sort this out.

Re: Trespassers Delta County -anyone recognize them? [Re: bassfishinglawyer] #8531308 02/14/22 05:10 PM
B
bassfishinglawyer Offline OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Offline
Veteran Tracker
B
I've already stated above I worked it out. The cattle LESSEE of the ADJACENT LANDOWNER gave them permission to hunt his leased land (the landowner didn't even know about it). I tracked them down and contacted the lessee and just told him that if this happens again - or something like it - just give me a heads-up. I'm a nice guy and will be helpful. But use a little common courtesy. And now we have each others' numbers so there is no excuse either way.

Re: Trespassers Delta County -anyone recognize them? [Re: Ol Thumper] #8531309 02/14/22 05:11 PM
skinnerback Offline
THF Celebrity Chef
THF Celebrity Chef
Originally Posted by Ol Thumper
Hog doggers are the scum of the earth, it’s always “I’m looking for my dogs” they need an [censored] whooping, every one of them…

Dayum bud. There are plenty bad ones out there but that's not true, at all.

Re: Trespassers Delta County -anyone recognize them? [Re: bassfishinglawyer] #8531314 02/14/22 05:14 PM
S
Sneaky Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
Some people need to realize that this isn’t just about disturbing a deer hunt.

Re: Trespassers Delta County -anyone recognize them? [Re: bassfishinglawyer] #8531349 02/14/22 05:59 PM
H
Harkriscar Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
H
Originally Posted by bassfishinglawyer
I've already stated above I worked it out. The cattle LESSEE of the ADJACENT LANDOWNER gave them permission to hunt his leased land (the landowner didn't even know about it). I tracked them down and contacted the lessee and just told him that if this happens again - or something like it - just give me a heads-up. I'm a nice guy and will be helpful. But use a little common courtesy. And now we have each others' numbers so there is no excuse either way.

Glad you worked it out. This happened to one of my friends while he was deer hunting a SC swamp. He heard the dogs and went to investigate. Seems the hog hunters had chased a big boar onto his land. After introducing themselves and explaining the situation and apologies, they invited him to join them, which he did. They finally cornered the hog and the pit bull grabbed him by the nose, and the hunters invited my friend to make the kill…with a big knife. He didn’t have the courage to jump in. Can’t really blame him! But made a good story. He had more fun that day than deer hunting.

Re: Trespassers Delta County -anyone recognize them? [Re: Harkriscar] #8531400 02/14/22 07:02 PM
U
unclebubba Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
U

I have permission from one neighbor already to retrieve whenever I need to. If it ever happened, I'd still text him to let him know I'm there. If the deer crossed any of my other neighbors properties, I would exhaust ALL efforts to contact them, including contacting the game warden, before I gave up the search...but yes, if it came down to it, the deer would have to rot. It would break my heart, but you don't just go willy nilly on someone else's property without permission. Even if you don't think they are there. Even if you are pretty sure that you know that they are not there. Even if you leave your gun on your side of the property.

You are the epitome of why dog hunters have a bad name. Because you just don't care about other's property rights.

Re: Trespassers Delta County -anyone recognize them? [Re: bassfishinglawyer] #8531452 02/14/22 08:11 PM
J
jcarring99 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
J
I grew up in delta county! Pretty good chance I know them lol! There’s actually some good hunting in delta county now. Used to be horrible befor the lakes were built. We had 500 acres bordering big creek lake that I would like to have back . I think my dad paid $100 an acre for it back in the day

Joel Carrington
214-770-7978
Email: joel@carringtonconstructiondfw.com
Carrington Roofing & Construction, LLC
Financing options click: https://app.gethearth.com/flyers/carrington-roofing-construction-llc/joel
www.carringtonconstructiondfw.com
Re: Trespassers Delta County -anyone recognize them? [Re: bassfishinglawyer] #8531615 02/14/22 11:54 PM
F
fishdfly Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
F
Post their pictures in the local feed store, someone will know them.

Re: Trespassers Delta County -anyone recognize them? [Re: skinnerback] #8531616 02/14/22 11:55 PM
F
flintknapper Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Originally Posted by skinnerback
Hog doggers are the scum of the earth, it’s always “I’m looking for my dogs” they need an [censored] whooping, every one of them…

One or two good ones out of hundreds is somehow not redeeming or consoling to me. I've had my fill of them. If you ask me...they need to 'police their own', they have a plenty bad reputation in my area.

Spartans ask not...how many, but where!
Re: Trespassers Delta County -anyone recognize them? [Re: flintknapper] #8531636 02/15/22 12:26 AM
skinnerback Offline
THF Celebrity Chef
THF Celebrity Chef
Originally Posted by flintknapper

One or two good ones out of hundreds is somehow not redeeming or consoling to me. I've had my fill of them. If you ask me...they need to 'police their own', they have a plenty bad reputation in my area.

I understand their reputation in East Tx, and I've hunted with a couple bad ones in S Texas too....but most I've hunted with down here have been good dudes that respect property lines. If the place was too small to run dogs on, the dogs stayed home and other methods were used to catch/kill hogs.

Re: Trespassers Delta County -anyone recognize them? [Re: flintknapper] #8531640 02/15/22 12:29 AM
W
Wool E. Booger Offline
Tracker
Tracker
W

I hate that you have had so many bad experiences with the hog doggers flint. I agree there are many more bad than good ones out there, but the good ones will police their own. The ones I know hate the bad ones as much as you do because it makes it so hard for them to find places that will let them hunt.

Re: Trespassers Delta County -anyone recognize them? [Re: Wool E. Booger] #8531642 02/15/22 12:33 AM
skinnerback Offline
THF Celebrity Chef
THF Celebrity Chef
Originally Posted by Wool E. Booger

I hate that you have had so many bad experiences with the hog doggers flint. I agree there are many more bad than good ones out there, but the good ones will police their own. The ones I know hate the bad ones as much as you do because it makes it so hard for them to find places that will let them hunt.

Yep.

Re: Trespassers Delta County -anyone recognize them? [Re: bassfishinglawyer] #8531649 02/15/22 12:41 AM
N
NORML as can be Online Content
^^Cut the Cord^^
Online Content
^^Cut the Cord^^
N
2x12's across the roads with nails and screws will slow down ATV's.

(R-TX) .-- " TCNN CURL CRLB VFF VRNO AYR SNDL CGC TLRY MSOS "

_=====___=________==-

Re: Trespassers Delta County -anyone recognize them? [Re: bassfishinglawyer] #8531666 02/15/22 01:02 AM
B
bigjoe8565 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
B
I’m wondering if hog doggers simply retrieve their dogs, or do they kill/catch the pig while they’re trespassing on your property?

Re: Trespassers Delta County -anyone recognize them? [Re: fishdfly] #8531668 02/15/22 01:05 AM
H
Hudbone Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
H
Originally Posted by fishdfly
Post their pictures in the local feed store, someone will know them.

Smart stuff right there.

Re: Trespassers Delta County -anyone recognize them? [Re: Sneaky] #8531695 02/15/22 01:35 AM
6InARowMakeItGo Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by Sneaky
Some hog doggers think anything is legal or reasonable if it means getting their dog back. Those are fun threads.

You called it! clap

🍻
Re: Trespassers Delta County -anyone recognize them? [Re: skinnerback] #8531698 02/15/22 01:40 AM
S
Sneaky Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S

I understand their reputation in East Tx, and I've hunted with a couple bad ones in S Texas too....but most I've hunted with down here have been good dudes that respect property lines. If the place was too small to run dogs on, the dogs stayed home and other methods were used to catch/kill hogs.

East Texas is a whole ‘nother world. It’s our version of West Virginia. I’ve hunted with a handful of hog doggers that were completely respectful of property lines and smart enough to know where turning the dogs loose made sense. They also recognized that their dogs were not someone else’s problem. They acquired permission before crossing boundaries, which was rare. People running dogs in South Texas or North Texas aren’t responsible for the retards in East Texas. I’d say that has more to do with the genetics in that part of the world than it does with the sport. Just something to think about when lumping people together and getting to the root of the problem.

Re: Trespassers Delta County -anyone recognize them? [Re: bassfishinglawyer] #8531728 02/15/22 02:16 AM
F
fishdfly Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
F
There is a hog hunting contest in Leon county. They run willy nilly all over the county and have no respect for the landowners.

Several years ago I caught one of their dogs, he was tired and thirsty. Gave him some water and tied him to a tree. He had a tracking collar and eventually the owner showed up looking for his dog. Explained to him if it happens again, he would be finding his dog with the game warden.

Re: Trespassers Delta County -anyone recognize them? [Re: skinnerback] #8531779 02/15/22 03:08 AM
F
flintknapper Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
F

I can respect that. Good to hear some are responsible and do things right. It has not been my experience....but that might be owing to my location and the hog-doggers here. I suppose I have a myopic view of it. Thank You for sharing your experiences, it is somewhat heartening to know.

Spartans ask not...how many, but where!
Re: Trespassers Delta County -anyone recognize them? [Re: skinnerback] #8531850 02/15/22 07:13 AM
Ol Thumper Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter

My apologies to the good ones but after 20 years of having them cut fences, ram gates open, steal trail cameras and SD cards to cover thr tracks they all get lumped together in my book. I know some guys try not to cross fences but I’ve had preachers show up on our property before “Looking For Their Dogs” without permission so until they can somehow keep their dogs on a leash it’s a moot point. I’d let the morons hunt our properties if they simply asked outside of deer season more than likely but most of them have the mindset of they go where the dogs go. I’m not one to be a hater but enough is enough after a certain point and you get fed up repairing and putting up with the BS. Anyone that owns property and has them come through cutting fences year after year I’d be willing to bet most would have a different mind set of them as well.

I have complete respect for anyone hunting and I’ll go out of my way to help them 9 times out of 10 as long as their honest with me and ask permission but that’s never happened one time so I’m over the entire group of them at this point.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide