Forums46
Topics537,979
Posts9,731,303
Members87,052
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Trespassers Delta County -anyone recognize them? [Re: Harkriscar] #8530971 02/14/22 02:42 AM
D
ducknbass Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
D
Originally Posted by Harkriscar
I don’t live in Texas, so I don’t know what’s acceptable there. But we were rabbit hunting on my land (1000 acres) here in SC recently. Our 10 beagles jumped a rabbit and they ran him off the property onto a neighbors land. This happens sometimes. So what am I supposed to do other than try to follow my dogs? Getting them off the trail is not as easy as it sounds, and I really can’t avoid trespassing, trying to get the dogs back. The dogs don’t stop at the property line.

It’s the downfall of running dogs. I’ve wanted rabbit dogs but knowing that if my dogs did what yours did and ruin someone’s deer hunt they’d likely get shot I ain’t doing it. Best think to do in my opinion is talk to direct neighbors before hand and talk over expectations. Problem with a lot of these folks in east Texas is they’ll dump them on 200 acres knowing good and well they’re going next door.

Last edited by ducknbass; 02/14/22 02:43 AM.
Re: Trespassers Delta County -anyone recognize them? [Re: scalebuster] #8530975 02/14/22 02:45 AM
D
ducknbass Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
D
Originally Posted by scalebuster
Originally Posted by Ol Thumper
Hog doggers are the scum of the earth, it’s always “I’m looking for my dogs” they need an [censored] whooping, every one of them…

There’s a contest in Wise county. Go hang around the weigh in. Talk some chit and I’ll bet you get some takers for an arse whooping. Give everyone of them a good one!

A K-9 unit would drive down wind of that meet and have a stroke for the meth in the air. roflmao

Re: Trespassers Delta County -anyone recognize them? [Re: Harkriscar] #8530982 02/14/22 02:50 AM
S
Sneaky Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
S
I don’t live in Texas, so I don’t know what’s acceptable there. But we were rabbit hunting on my land (1000 acres) here in SC recently. Our 10 beagles jumped a rabbit and they ran him off the property onto a neighbors land. This happens sometimes. So what am I supposed to do other than try to follow my dogs? Getting them off the trail is not as easy as it sounds, and I really can’t avoid trespassing, trying to get the dogs back. The dogs don’t stop at the property line.

Just so you know, it’s unacceptable here, without permission. Most landowners will understand, if you contact them beforehand. But you don’t just help yourself, unannounced.

Re: Trespassers Delta County -anyone recognize them? [Re: ducknbass] #8530983 02/14/22 02:52 AM
cbump Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Lmao!!!

Re: Trespassers Delta County -anyone recognize them? [Re: Sneaky] #8531024 02/14/22 03:45 AM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by Sneaky

Just so you know, it’s unacceptable here, without permission. Most landowners will understand, if you contact them beforehand. But you don’t just help yourself, unannounced.

Yup.

In the long set age of cell phones, you get neighboring property landowners number, and call them before setting foot. Most likely they will tell you to go ahead. Set foot, without permission, and it could get inconvenient. Stand there until Deputies show up.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Precision Rifle Instruction
Memberships and Classes Available
Re: Trespassers Delta County -anyone recognize them? [Re: bassfishinglawyer] #8531041 02/14/22 04:21 AM
H
Harkriscar Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
H
We never rabbit hunt until after deer season, just to prevent conflict. And things are different here. There are not huge ranches. Our property is bordered by dozens of other properties, if not more. Most are small and unoccupied. Have no idea who the owners are nor how to contact them. And there are never fences, nor posted signs. When our dogs cross boundaries, we just try to call then off the chase as quick as possible. But to do that, you have to follow them. I’m an old guy. In the years past in the south, rural people understood and it wasn’t a problem. But now things are different.
In our low country, dog hunting deer has been a tradition for over 150 years, long before anyone ever heard of a tree stand, a trophy, or using a rifle. It’s a dying tradition. Running game with dogs is going to be a thing of the past.

Re: Trespassers Delta County -anyone recognize them? [Re: bassfishinglawyer] #8531059 02/14/22 04:52 AM
R
Ranch Dawg Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
R
Just because your dogs cross property lines doesn’t give you the right. rifle

THE ROAD GOES ON FOREVER AND THE PARTY NEVER ENDS.

F##K YOU JOE BIDEN !!!!!
Re: Trespassers Delta County -anyone recognize them? [Re: bassfishinglawyer] #8531070 02/14/22 05:44 AM
H
Harkriscar Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
H
Sorry to take the thread off topic. Hope you find the trespassers and get this resolved. I also get mad when I get hunters trespassing on my land picked up on trail cameras, carrying weapons. But to me that’s different than guys legally hunting on adjoining properties simply trying to get their dogs back. I can understand that. Of course cutting fences or locks, or damaging property with a vehicle is certainly wrong. With all the anti hunting, anti gun woke ground today, it seems all legal hunters need to understand each other. Of course, it depends on the facts the situation. In this case, the landowner hasn’t determined that yet. Seems a little extreme to label all “hog doggers” as scum. Here in SC, it’s pretty common to hunt deer, bears and coons with dogs legally.

Re: Trespassers Delta County -anyone recognize them? [Re: Harkriscar] #8531075 02/14/22 06:52 AM
N
ntxtrapper Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N

Sounds like you can't control your hunting dogs and you should not hunt the way you're doing it.

Re: Trespassers Delta County -anyone recognize them? [Re: Harkriscar] #8531123 02/14/22 01:29 PM
D
ducknbass Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
D
We never rabbit hunt until after deer season, just to prevent conflict. And things are different here. There are not huge ranches. Our property is bordered by dozens of other properties, if not more. Most are small and unoccupied. Have no idea who the owners are nor how to contact them. And there are never fences, nor posted signs. When our dogs cross boundaries, we just try to call then off the chase as quick as possible. But to do that, you have to follow them. I’m an old guy. In the years past in the south, rural people understood and it wasn’t a problem. But now things are different.
In our low country, dog hunting deer has been a tradition for over 150 years, long before anyone ever heard of a tree stand, a trophy, or using a rifle. It’s a dying tradition. Running game with dogs is going to be a thing of the past.

Yep I know a lot of guys that ran coon dogs at one time in east Texas. Said you’d pop out somewhere and at times it would take a few minutes to realize what county road you were on. I totally understand what you’re saying, unfortunately times have changed and not for the better in that regard. Folks put a lot of worth in head bone. Thanks for your perspective.

Re: Trespassers Delta County -anyone recognize them? [Re: bassfishinglawyer] #8531139 02/14/22 01:58 PM
B
blanked Online Content
Pro Tracker
Online Content
Pro Tracker
B
Not letting your neighbor on your property without permission to look for his dog is a weak power grab.

Re: Trespassers Delta County -anyone recognize them? [Re: blanked] #8531142 02/14/22 02:03 PM
S
SnakeWrangler Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted by blanked
Not letting your neighbor on your property without permission to look for his dog is a weak power grab.

Depends on the neighbors….I have some I wouldn’t let on my property to escape a wildfire…

Some neighbors just aren’t welcome…

I believe in science and I’m an insufferable [censored]
Originally Posted by beaversnipe
Actually, BBC is pretty damn good

"You Cannot Simultaneously Be Politically Correct And Intellectually Honest!"
Re: Trespassers Delta County -anyone recognize them? [Re: ducknbass] #8531145 02/14/22 02:13 PM
O
Old Rabbit Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
O
Originally Posted by ducknbass

It’s the downfall of running dogs. I’ve wanted rabbit dogs but knowing that if my dogs did what yours did and ruin someone’s deer hunt they’d likely get shot I ain’t doing it. Best think to do in my opinion is talk to direct neighbors before hand and talk over expectations. Problem with a lot of these folks in east Texas is they’ll dump them on 200 acres knowing good and well they’re going next door.

Way back years ago, I had to get the game warden involved with some dog owners. They would stop on the road that divided our lease and drop their dogs off. Found out they were posting hunters on the dirt road thinking it wasn't a county road since it wasn't paved. Turns out the GW didn't see hunting on a county road was a good thing, several tickets were issued.

Re: Trespassers Delta County -anyone recognize them? [Re: Harkriscar] #8531154 02/14/22 02:29 PM
The Dude Abides Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter

If you're on your neighbors land without their permission then you're trespassing. I would get "future" permissions if you think your dogs are going to cross the fence line.

Originally Posted by Superduty
I am still looking for the perfect apron, one with reinforced knee areas would be perfect.

Re: Trespassers Delta County -anyone recognize them? [Re: bassfishinglawyer] #8531159 02/14/22 02:33 PM
B
bassfishinglawyer Offline OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Offline
Veteran Tracker
B
I let them know they just need to let me know in the future so I don't waste 2 1/2 hours going out there and back to check out the situation.

Re: Trespassers Delta County -anyone recognize them? [Re: ntxtrapper] #8531171 02/14/22 02:43 PM
H
Harkriscar Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
H
Obviously you’ve never rabbit hunted with beagles. It’s not about controlling the dogs. It’s about controlling the rabbit. An no, I can’t control where he runs. Wish I could. The dogs go where he goes. And they’re way faster than me. There’s only two ways to “control” the dogs after they start the chase. Either kill the rabbit or physically catch the dogs.
But as I said, we only rabbit hunt long after deer season (we deer hunt too so I understand that). My point is dogs will cross property lines. And you simply can’t call them back. It just doesn’t work that way. Anyone who has run hounds knows that.

I’ve caught dogs on my property before, with collars, radio transmitters and owners tags. I’ll leash the dogs and call the owners. Every time they will come get their dogs and thank me. Everyone is reasonable. Of course some people abuse normal rules. But if someone hunting neighboring property legally comes onto my property just to retrieve their dogs, I’m ok with that.

Re: Trespassers Delta County -anyone recognize them? [Re: bassfishinglawyer] #8531177 02/14/22 02:52 PM
topwater13 Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Not saying this is the case regarding the op, but in general, a little grace can go a long way in life. Take it how you will.

Re: Trespassers Delta County -anyone recognize them? [Re: Harkriscar] #8531187 02/14/22 03:01 PM
JimBridger Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Obviously you’ve never rabbit hunted with beagles. It’s not about controlling the dogs. It’s about controlling the rabbit. An no, I can’t control where he runs. Wish I could. The dogs go where he goes. And they’re way faster than me. There’s only two ways to “control” the dogs after they start the chase. Either kill the rabbit or physically catch the dogs.
But as I said, we only rabbit hunt long after deer season (we deer hunt too so I understand that). My point is dogs will cross property lines. And you simply can’t call them back. It just doesn’t work that way. Anyone who has run hounds knows that.

I’ve caught dogs on my property before, with collars, radio transmitters and owners tags. I’ll leash the dogs and call the owners. Every time they will come get their dogs and thank me. Everyone is reasonable. Of course some people abuse normal rules. But if someone hunting neighboring property legally comes onto my property just to retrieve their dogs, I’m ok with that.

I’ve owned and hunted over beagles for years. Every cottontail that my dogs got on circled back and was shot close to the place it was initially jumped. If your dogs are constantly running onto your neighbors property you probably need to move off of the property line.

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. Edmund Burke
Re: Trespassers Delta County -anyone recognize them? [Re: topwater13] #8531189 02/14/22 03:04 PM
H
Harkriscar Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
H
Originally Posted by topwater13
Not saying this is the case regarding the op, but in general, a little grace can go a long way in life. Take it how you will.

Wisely spoken.

Re: Trespassers Delta County -anyone recognize them? [Re: Harkriscar] #8531197 02/14/22 03:11 PM
The Dude Abides Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter

...again... I would get "future" permissions if you think your dogs chasing the rabbit are going to cross the fence line. I would be pissed if I was the land owner and you did not get permission "in advance".

Originally Posted by Superduty
I am still looking for the perfect apron, one with reinforced knee areas would be perfect.

Re: Trespassers Delta County -anyone recognize them? [Re: Ol Thumper] #8531198 02/14/22 03:15 PM
F
flintknapper Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Originally Posted by Ol Thumper
Hog doggers are the scum of the earth, it’s always “I’m looking for my dogs” they need an [censored] whooping, every one of them…

My sentiments exactly. Have to deal with them in some form or fashion every year. Never had a good experience with a hog-dogger yet.

Spartans ask not...how many, but where!
Re: Trespassers Delta County -anyone recognize them? [Re: J.G.] #8531199 02/14/22 03:18 PM
1860.colt Online Content
emoji colt.45
Online Content
emoji colt.45
Originally Posted by FiremanJG

Yup.

In the long set age of cell phones, you get neighboring property landowners number, and call them before setting foot. Most likely they will tell you to go ahead. Set foot, without permission, and it could get inconvenient. Stand there until Deputies show up.

In texas they argue who the deer belong too... bolt

flag

i'm postaddic
Re: Trespassers Delta County -anyone recognize them? [Re: bassfishinglawyer] #8531201 02/14/22 03:22 PM
603Country Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
What Pappybear said is also my experience in hunting rabbits with dogs. The rabbit should circle back to about where the dogs jumped them. That usually was not a huge circle by the rabbit.

And, way back when, we hunted deer with the dogs. That was when dogs often left the immediate area and had to be found.

Here in Texas, if someone I knew asked for permission to retrieve dogs, I’d be Ok with it. As for the hog dog folks, they have been on my place without my permission once. In that instance I shot the hog, not the dogs. If they had made a habit of it, I’d probably shoot the dogs…reluctantly. I really would not want to do that.

Not my monkeys, not my circus...
Re: Trespassers Delta County -anyone recognize them? [Re: Harkriscar] #8531202 02/14/22 03:22 PM
U
unclebubba Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
U
Sorry to take the thread off topic. Hope you find the trespassers and get this resolved. I also get mad when I get hunters trespassing on my land picked up on trail cameras, carrying weapons. But to me that’s different than guys legally hunting on adjoining properties simply trying to get their dogs back. I can understand that. Of course cutting fences or locks, or damaging property with a vehicle is certainly wrong. With all the anti hunting, anti gun woke ground today, it seems all legal hunters need to understand each other. Of course, it depends on the facts the situation. In this case, the landowner hasn’t determined that yet. Seems a little extreme to label all “hog doggers” as scum. Here in SC, it’s pretty common to hunt deer, bears and coons with dogs legally.

It's interesting that get mad when hunters trespass on your property, but it's perfectly fine for you to trespass on your neighbors property. How can you not see the double standard?

Re: Trespassers Delta County -anyone recognize them? [Re: unclebubba] #8531235 02/14/22 03:58 PM
H
Harkriscar Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
H
I said get mad when I see hunters with weapons on my property, who obviously are hunting without my permission. Or strangers just wandering around doing who knows what, perhaps looking to steal. But like I clearly said, a hunter who was legally hunting nextdoor, who simply comes on my land to retrieve his dogs that do what dogs are bred to do (chase a rabbit), I have no problem with that. And as I said, all rabbit hunters I know never start hunting until deer season is over, just to avoid potential conflicts. So no, I don’t see double standard.
So if you wound a deer, and it crosses a property line, and there’s no way to contact the property owner, what do you do? Give up on the blood trail and let it rot 100 yards across the line? Surely you wouldn’t trespass. Would you?

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide