Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Getting older...Leupold Vari-X III #8523767 02/05/22 03:47 PM
Superduty Offline OP
"The Regulator"
OP Offline
"The Regulator"
I have a Leupold Vari-X III 3.5-10 x 50mm mounted on my Browning A bolt in 7mm mag.

Here is my question, would there be a great improvement, light catching ability and clarity (longer evening or earlier morning shots) to upgrade my scope? Bought it new in 2006 and it is a 100% tack driver on my current rifle. Or is it better just to leave it alone because I have so much faith in it now being zeroed in.

I typically do not make shots less than 100 yards and not planning on going any further in distance. I bought the 50mm objective to gather more light would a "newer" scope be that much more improvement over what I have. Let's stay in the Leupold world if possible, not going to Swarovski or scopes like that.

Thank you and I really do appreciate the input.

Last edited by Superduty; 02/05/22 03:49 PM.

'It's Only Treason if You Lose."
Re: Getting older...Leupold Vari-X III [Re: Superduty] #8523845 02/05/22 04:48 PM
B
Blank Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
B
Here's some comments from my own personal observations. YMMV. After twenty five years of my wife working for an eye surgeon, I heard a lot of vision theory and stuff, and the docs were all gun nuts. smile

You've already got one of the best scopes ever made. The difference from the 40 to 50mm objectives was substantial. When Leupold switched to the the Multi-Coat 4 lens coatings around 1990, it was the best of its class. Yours being a 2006 had many years of trial and error to perfect all the design processes, and make it foolproof. Glass material and construction has been incredible for the last 20 years, and the primary improvements continue to be in the coatings. It's not fancy, but then you don't have to figure out all of the new dials and turrets to have a perfectly functional scope for shooting game from 100-500 yards.

As for the light gathering and usefulness, the 50mm objective allows all the light your eye can use in almost any situation. I don't think going to 56mm is going to buy you a lot more. Normal young eyes can dilate the full range from about 2mm up to 8mm, older folks not quite as much or as rapidly. You should be able to use your scope almost on full power clear up to dark. On a moonlit night, you could shoot long after legal quiting time on deer. If you need more light, turn it down to 6X. Sometimes, older shooters think they need better scopes because the eyes change slower or not as well because of meds they are taking for various conditions.

To keep up with the industry changes and inflation, I would think you would need to raise your price point up to around $1000 or more to beat what you have. Several of the new Leupold will fall into the 500-1000 range, or you could look at the NightForce SHV line for around 1000-1200, but I personally would be fine with the scope you already have.

Last edited by Blank; 02/05/22 04:49 PM.
Re: Getting older...Leupold Vari-X III [Re: Superduty] #8523858 02/05/22 04:54 PM
onlysmith&wesson Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
As satisfied as I've been with newer Leupold HD stuff in both 3X, & 5XHD, maybe not so much improvement to mess up a good thing. I do know what I have would work great way past legal shooting time. I've counted points on a rack that I couldn't see without a scope looking through a VX5HD at 100 yards. But, there's a lot to be said for a set up that you have confidence in.

(You could just go ahead and get a new rifle to go with it, then you haven't hurt anything)

An unethical shot is one you take, that you know you shouldn't.
Re: Getting older...Leupold Vari-X III [Re: Blank] #8523864 02/05/22 05:01 PM
onlysmith&wesson Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted by Blank
Here's some comments from my own personal observations. YMMV. After twenty five years of my wife working for an eye surgeon, I heard a lot of vision theory and stuff, and the docs were all gun nuts. smile

You've already got one of the best scopes ever made. The difference from the 40 to 50mm objectives was substantial. When Leupold switched to the the Multi-Coat 4 lens coatings around 1990, it was the best of its class. Yours being a 2006 had many years of trial and error to perfect all the design processes, and make it foolproof. Glass material and construction has been incredible for the last 20 years, and the primary improvements continue to be in the coatings. It's not fancy, but then you don't have to figure out all of the new dials and turrets to have a perfectly functional scope for shooting game from 100-500 yards.

As for the light gathering and usefulness, the 50mm objective allows all the light your eye can use in almost any situation. I don't think going to 56mm is going to buy you a lot more. Normal young eyes can dilate the full range from about 2mm up to 8mm, older folks not quite as much or as rapidly. You should be able to use your scope almost on full power clear up to dark. On a moonlit night, you could shoot long after legal quiting time on deer. If you need more light, turn it down to 6X. Sometimes, older shooters think they need better scopes because the eyes change slower or not as well because of meds they are taking for various conditions.

To keep up with the industry changes and inflation, I would think you would need to raise your price point up to around $1000 or more to beat what you have. Several of the new Leupold will fall into the 500-1000 range, or you could look at the NightForce SHV line for around 1000-1200, but I personally would be fine with the scope you already have.

Good stuff. I've done a little business with two of the German Optics companies that we've all heard of. A lot of R&D stuff to them during that time period.

An unethical shot is one you take, that you know you shouldn't.
Re: Getting older...Leupold Vari-X III [Re: Superduty] #8523943 02/05/22 06:20 PM
Brother in-law Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
You don’t need to change but

https://www.eurooptic.com/Vortex-Razor-HD-LHT-3-15x42-HSR-5i-MRAD-Riflescope-RZR-31502.aspx

Or if you like Leupold the 5hd with the fire dot , I think the vortex is the best affordable hunter

Re: Getting older...Leupold Vari-X III [Re: Superduty] #8524025 02/05/22 07:56 PM
603Country Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
I have a couple of Vari-X III scopes. One is a 4.5-14 and the other is a 6.5-20 that was a long distance offering from the 90’s, with a30mm tube). Both were and are excellent scopes. I also have a newish VX3 4.5-14, and I can’t swear that it’s better in dim light than the 35ish year old Vari-X III.

But I’ll tell what I have that I love, and that’s a VX5 HD 3.5-15 with CDS and the fire dot. Wonderful glass, and the fire dot is really useful. I think they make a VX3 4.5-14 with the fire dot, which wasn’t available when I got the VX5.

Not my monkeys, not my circus...
Re: Getting older...Leupold Vari-X III [Re: Blank] #8524052 02/05/22 08:37 PM
Superduty Offline OP
"The Regulator"
OP Offline
"The Regulator"
Originally Posted by Blank

Thank you so much, that really answers my question. Looks like I'll keep what I have!

Re: Getting older...Leupold Vari-X III [Re: Superduty] #8524054 02/05/22 08:38 PM
Superduty Offline OP
"The Regulator"
OP Offline
"The Regulator"
Really thank you all. The variable for me to keep my setup is the confidence I have on the set up currently. Not worth the change.

Re: Getting older...Leupold Vari-X III [Re: Superduty] #8524523 02/06/22 04:51 AM
B
Buzzsaw Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
B
been there

yes.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide