Print Thread
Looking for a North Texas lease/spot #8515061 01/27/22 03:54 PM
C
COSAR87 Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
C
Hi all, I know there’s a ton of people searching for leases, but I figured I should throw my intentions out there. First post, hoping to add more.

I’m seeking a yearly hunting lease, or a spot on a lease. A spot may be best as I don’t have anyone else that can commit to a yearly lease. But a small piece of land for myself would be good too. Looking for something within about a 100-150 mile radius of Vernon. Seymour, Paducah, Wichita Falls, Megargel, Throckmorton, Childress, Haskell and areas around are all areas that look good. I’be seen some decent areas up in Hall county too.

I am primarily interested in deer and hogs, and turkeys would be nice. Ducks would be a bonus. I would need a camping area, but don’t require electricity or water. I would like to be able to bring close friends (1-2 maximum) for hog hunting occasionally, but they would not be hunting deer unless they were needed for management purposes.

I’m a veteran and respectful of your land and willing to work with the landowner on management goals. I’m new to the land lease game, as I’m used to hunting public land, but my budget for the right lease would be around $2500-3000.

Re: Looking for a North Texas lease/spot [Re: COSAR87] #8515204 01/27/22 06:20 PM
M
Mr. T. Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
M
Welcome to the forum. welcome

Cabin rental in Pagosa Springs, Co.
Sleeps 10, If interested please PM me.
Re: Looking for a North Texas lease/spot [Re: COSAR87] #8515371 01/27/22 10:25 PM
D
deerhunter1956 Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
D
Welcome to the forum and thank you for your service. welcome

Re: Looking for a North Texas lease/spot [Re: COSAR87] #8519549 02/01/22 10:04 PM
C
COSAR87 Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
C
Thank you for the welcome! I've been looking around at just about every site out there and cruising craigslist regularly. It doesn't seem like there's much being listed or updated! I know that word of mouth or knocking on doors is effective, but I'm in Colorado so that's pretty challenging. I'll keep at it though.

Re: Looking for a North Texas lease/spot [Re: COSAR87] #8519768 02/02/22 01:33 AM
R
Russ79 Online Content
Tracker
Online Content
Tracker
R
It is still a little early for lease openings to start popping up. The leases that are MLD are still hunting and most leases have payment due dates of late spring/early summer. If you haven't heard of Texasbowhunter.com you can check their classifieds- I think they have something posted now but may not be in any of the areas you are looking for.

Re: Looking for a North Texas lease/spot [Re: Russ79] #8520380 02/02/22 04:44 PM
C
COSAR87 Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
C
Originally Posted by Russ79
It is still a little early for lease openings to start popping up. The leases that are MLD are still hunting and most leases have payment due dates of late spring/early summer. If you haven't heard of Texasbowhunter.com you can check their classifieds- I think they have something posted now but may not be in any of the areas you are looking for.

Thanks for the heads up on the timeline. I tried looking at the classifieds on TBH and they won't even let me view them until I've been a member for 30 days and 30 posts. I'm not going to post a bunch of spam just to accumulate posts. I understand what they're trying to do, but I'm not into that game.

Re: Looking for a North Texas lease/spot [Re: Russ79] #8520587 02/02/22 08:05 PM
D
dr_pepp Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
D
Originally Posted by Russ79
It is still a little early for lease openings to start popping up.
My experience is different, but I've not been hunting on MLD leases. I'm on two leases right now and I've had to send in money on both of them for next year. When the check is due is the time when lease openings occur. The lease manager on one of my leases has already gone to his waiting list to fill spots. Every lease has its own schedule but for my current leases and ones I've been on in the past, NOW is the time to be beating the bushes.

Re: Looking for a North Texas lease/spot [Re: dr_pepp] #8520602 02/02/22 08:17 PM
C
COSAR87 Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
C
Interesting- you mentioned wait list... Any suggestions on how to get onto a wait list? I hadn't considered that option. Thanks!

Re: Looking for a North Texas lease/spot [Re: COSAR87] #8520622 02/02/22 08:26 PM
D
dr_pepp Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
D
In my experience, the waiting list is somewhat informal and kept by the lease manager. I don't think as an "outsider" you'd have a chance to get on someone's waiting list. It's pretty much going to be buddies of folks already on the lease who may have been out as a guest and some of the existing lease members already know. The last option for filling a spot or two on an existing lease is by bringing in someone new that no one knows. But don't give up hope. I didn't know anyone when I got on my two current leases or the one I was on before that. There have been posts in the past that gave a lot of tips and suggestions. You might try to look those old posts up. Best of luck to you.

Re: Looking for a North Texas lease/spot [Re: COSAR87] #8520655 02/02/22 08:50 PM
S
Sauerkraut Offline
Tracker
Tracker
S
Originally Posted by COSAR87
Hi all, I know there’s a ton of people searching for leases, but I figured I should throw my intentions out there. First post, hoping to add more.

I’m seeking a yearly hunting lease, or a spot on a lease. A spot may be best as I don’t have anyone else that can commit to a yearly lease. But a small piece of land for myself would be good too. Looking for something within about a 100-150 mile radius of Vernon. Seymour, Paducah, Wichita Falls, Megargel, Throckmorton, Childress, Haskell and areas around are all areas that look good. I’be seen some decent areas up in Hall county too.

I am primarily interested in deer and hogs, and turkeys would be nice. Ducks would be a bonus. I would need a camping area, but don’t require electricity or water. I would like to be able to bring close friends (1-2 maximum) for hog hunting occasionally, but they would not be hunting deer unless they were needed for management purposes.

I’m a veteran and respectful of your land and willing to work with the landowner on management goals. I’m new to the land lease game, as I’m used to hunting public land, but my budget for the right lease would be around $2500-3000.

It sounds dumb, but starting in the spring, check Craigslist several times a day. Leases do get posted on there from time to time. Most will be clickbait or garbage. If it's legit, it will get snatched up that same day, so be prepared. This is my first year on a lease that I found on CL and it's been pretty solid and reasonably priced (relative to the new normal). There were a couple others that looked even better, but by the time I called they had been leased. Good luck!!

"Whatever your hand finds to do, do it with all your might, for in the realm of the dead, where you are going, there is neither working nor planning nor knowledge nor wisdom." - Ecclesiastes 9:10
Re: Looking for a North Texas lease/spot [Re: Sauerkraut] #8520721 02/02/22 09:39 PM
C
COSAR87 Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
C
I appreciate that. I almost think that getting a spot on a lease would be the best fit for me, but don't have buddies that want to commit. So, I'll have to make a few new friends.

I've been looking on CL a few times a day, plus what seems to be the main leasing sites. I'll be keeping that up until I find something!

I appreciate the tips!

Re: Looking for a North Texas lease/spot [Re: COSAR87] #8521084 02/03/22 03:05 AM
C
CGB Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
C
Do you hunt in Colorado? Elk or Mulies?

Re: Looking for a North Texas lease/spot [Re: COSAR87] #8521123 02/03/22 03:47 AM
B
bassmastar34 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
B
cosarb87 im living in Wichita Falls and am a vet myself would love to find a place and some people to get in on a long term lease as well if you want to DM Id be happy to possible go in on a place and definitely not shy to do work on a property.

Re: Looking for a North Texas lease/spot [Re: CGB] #8521579 02/03/22 05:20 PM
C
COSAR87 Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
C
Yes, I hunt in CO. Elk, Muleys, and Turkey. They're pretty stingy with tags, so I'd like to extend my time in the woods. The CO seasons are just wrapping up when Texas is getting started. Plus, be able to hunt pigs in the late winter/spring. That's my intention anyways...

Re: Looking for a North Texas lease/spot [Re: Sauerkraut] #8522762 02/04/22 04:48 PM
E
Earl Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
E
That actually isn't bad advice at all. Nor is posting a Lease Wanted post on Craigslist. I did that 15 years ago and I've been on the same small (100 acres) year round family lease since then. Year round access, 3+ acre stocked tank, all the game I could want, I set the price and the LO has not raised it in 15 years. The LO even wants to sell the place to me when he retires if I want. So CL can work.

Earl

Originally Posted by Sauerkraut

It sounds dumb, but starting in the spring, check Craigslist several times a day. Leases do get posted on there from time to time. Most will be clickbait or garbage. If it's legit, it will get snatched up that same day, so be prepared. This is my first year on a lease that I found on CL and it's been pretty solid and reasonably priced (relative to the new normal). There were a couple others that looked even better, but by the time I called they had been leased. Good luck!!

Last edited by Earl; 02/04/22 04:53 PM.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Re: Looking for a North Texas lease/spot [Re: COSAR87] #8523100 02/04/22 09:12 PM
C
COSAR87 Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
C
Yup, I have a wanted ad on Craigslist. I got a bunch of spam initially but changed it so my phone number isn’t all digits. No bites off of that post in 30 days and it’s about to expire. I suppose I’ll renew it just in case. Good to know that it works sometimes!

Re: Looking for a North Texas lease/spot [Re: COSAR87] #8523198 02/04/22 11:00 PM
S
Sauerkraut Offline
Tracker
Tracker
S
Yup, I have a wanted ad on Craigslist. I got a bunch of spam initially but changed it so my phone number isn’t all digits. No bites off of that post in 30 days and it’s about to expire. I suppose I’ll renew it just in case. Good to know that it works sometimes!

It's also just a little early. After spring turkey I would say things will start to heat up.

"Whatever your hand finds to do, do it with all your might, for in the realm of the dead, where you are going, there is neither working nor planning nor knowledge nor wisdom." - Ecclesiastes 9:10
Re: Looking for a North Texas lease/spot [Re: COSAR87] #8526331 02/08/22 03:32 PM
C
COSAR87 Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
C
Bumping it back up. I’d like to get some hog hunting in over the next few months, which is why I’m looking right now. I can wait until later, but would prefer to get started and avoid having to use a day lease for hogs. Thanks for all the advices though!

Re: Looking for a North Texas lease/spot [Re: COSAR87] #8539120 02/23/22 08:55 PM
C
COSAR87 Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
C
Still looking. Bump.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide