Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Caliber choices / consolidation [Re: cbump] #8520212 02/02/22 02:44 PM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by cbump
You can even run one really good scope on all three rifles, when set up properly.

How would one set this up properly to do. I’m interested possibly.

Pic rail on every rifle.

Night Force Ultralite rings.

Zero to rifle "A". Move to rifle "B" shoot, adjust, shoot to zero. Write down the moves. Repeat for rifle "C"

This is with a turreted scope. Mil/Mil or MOA/MOA. (But friends don't let friends use MOA)

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Precision Rifle Instruction
Memberships and Classes Available
Re: Caliber choices / consolidation [Re: J.G.] #8520238 02/02/22 02:55 PM
U
unclebubba Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
U
Originally Posted by FiremanJG
You can even run one really good scope on all three rifles, when set up properly.

Pic rail on every rifle.

Zero to rifle "A". Move to rifle "B" shoot, adjust, shoot to zero. Write down the moves. Repeat for rifle "C"

This is with a turreted scope. Mil/Mil or MOA/MOA. (But friends don't let friends use MOA)

Once you have your moves down, will it be consistent every time you move the scope...consistent enough that you don't have to take a few shots to re-zero? I ask this because not everyone has an 800 yard range in their front yard to zero whenever they want. For me, it is a 1.5 hour drive to your place (800 yards), or a 1.5 hour drive to the Ranch (200 yards). Or I could go to Frisco Gun Club and pay $30 for a half hour on the rifle range with a not very sturdy shooting table. In theory, one really nice scope for three rifles is great. It reality, for most of us, it does not make sense.

Last edited by unclebubba; 02/02/22 02:56 PM.
Re: Caliber choices / consolidation [Re: J.G.] #8520259 02/02/22 03:10 PM
G
GLC Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
G

Pic rail on every rifle.

Funny Guy

Re: Caliber choices / consolidation [Re: unclebubba] #8520544 02/02/22 07:21 PM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by unclebubba

Pic rail on every rifle.

Once you have your moves down, will it be consistent every time you move the scope...consistent enough that you don't have to take a few shots to re-zero? I ask this because not everyone has an 800 yard range in their front yard to zero whenever they want. For me, it is a 1.5 hour drive to your place (800 yards), or a 1.5 hour drive to the Ranch (200 yards). Or I could go to Frisco Gun Club and pay $30 for a half hour on the rifle range with a not very sturdy shooting table. In theory, one really nice scope for three rifles is great. It reality, for most of us, it does not make sense.

I have been 0, or within .2 Mil at 100 yards.
I still say shoot it to be sure. If it's off, it won't be by much.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Re: Caliber choices / consolidation [Re: Sewer rat] #8520580 02/02/22 07:55 PM
S
Sewer rat Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
S
I certainly am not doubting what you are saying but intuitively I wouldn’t think mounting to a Pic rail would be that repeatable. I just think of tiny moves at the scope equaling big moves on the target at distance.

Re: Caliber choices / consolidation [Re: Sewer rat] #8520648 02/02/22 08:43 PM
A
angus1956 Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
A
3 guns, 3 scopes and be done with it.
No fiddling around with anything.

Re: Caliber choices / consolidation [Re: Sewer rat] #8520937 02/03/22 01:01 AM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by Sewer rat
I certainly am not doubting what you are saying but intuitively I wouldn’t think mounting to a Pic rail would be that repeatable. I just think of tiny moves at the scope equaling big moves on the target at distance.

Well, I have done it about 200 times.
So there's that.

Think it works, or not. No swear off my back.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Re: Caliber choices / consolidation [Re: angus1956] #8520938 02/03/22 01:03 AM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by angus1956

Some people's scope standards mean you just spent $3000 to $9000
Instead of $1000 to $3000

Not everyone has that kind of budget.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Re: Caliber choices / consolidation [Re: J.G.] #8520981 02/03/22 01:35 AM
A
angus1956 Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
A

Looks like the OP is talking hunting guns so $1K+ scopes are not in the discussion, unless I'm reading it wrong.

Re: Caliber choices / consolidation [Re: J.G.] #8521006 02/03/22 01:53 AM
S
Sewer rat Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
S

So there's that.

I’m sure you have. Seriously. I am not at all doubting you. I hope the way I wrote it didn’t come across wrong. All I meant was it doesn’t seem like it would work but I believe you that it does.

Re: Caliber choices / consolidation [Re: angus1956] #8521012 02/03/22 01:56 AM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity

Looks like the OP is talking hunting guns so $1K+ scopes are not in the discussion, unless I'm reading it wrong.

There are plenty of hunters, and plenty of THF members that spent $1k, and well above on scopes they use for hunting. Probably at least half the people we are talking about. So yes, it is in the discussion.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Re: Caliber choices / consolidation [Re: Sewer rat] #8521016 02/03/22 01:59 AM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity

So there's that.

I’m sure you have. Seriously. I am not at all doubting you. I hope the way I wrote it didn’t come across wrong. All I meant was it doesn’t seem like it would work but I believe you that it does.

Why wouldn't it work?

Rail never leaves the rifle. Rings hold the scope the same, all the time. The Weaver style connection is as solid as it gets.

AR guys use QD (Quick Detach) mounts for day optic, and switch to NV or Thermal. Those typically have levers. The rings with the Weaver style clamp, cross bolts, and nuts are even stronger, and even more repeatable. Especially if the nuts are torqued with a torque wrench.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Re: Caliber choices / consolidation [Re: Sewer rat] #8521020 02/03/22 02:04 AM
A
angus1956 Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
A
You just said not everyone has that kind of budget? I'd never swap a scope from gun to gun without shooting it first to verify Zero. Especially in a hunting situation wouldn't want to miss or worst yet wound and loose a trophy animal.

Re: Caliber choices / consolidation [Re: Sewer rat] #8521044 02/03/22 02:26 AM
T
txtrophy85 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
I have a few centerfire rifles...not many. .22-250, .257, 270 and .300 win.

Really only the .300 win and the .257 see any use anymore and out of the two the .300 is in my hand 7 out of 10 times. I took the .257 out once this year and let a buddy miss a coyote and a pig with it.

I'm happy with my battery but If i had to whittle down to the .270 and .300 win i would be fine, and probably happy

For it is not the quarry that we truly seek, but the adventure.
Re: Caliber choices / consolidation [Re: angus1956] #8521309 02/03/22 01:58 PM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
You just said not everyone has that kind of budget? I'd never swap a scope from gun to gun without shooting it first to verify Zero. Especially in a hunting situation wouldn't want to miss or worst yet wound and loose a trophy animal.

You suck at reading comprehension.

I said some people have high standards for their optics. One Alpha scope to use on three rifles is cheaper than three Alpha scopes. I also explained how to move the scope, check zero and take notes. I also said to shoot it at paper before hunting with it.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Re: Caliber choices / consolidation [Re: Sewer rat] #8521330 02/03/22 02:27 PM
S
scottfromdallas Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
S

I could hunt just about anything I want with a 223 and 308 Win/7-08.

I'm not hunting dangerous game. A guide might take offense with me using a 308/7-08 on nilgai but I'm sure it would work with proper bullets.

Re: Caliber choices / consolidation [Re: J.G.] #8521340 02/03/22 02:36 PM
T
thedoveshooter Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
T

Pic rail on every rifle.

Could go old school and use a Bausch & Lomb with adjustable mounts.

Re: Caliber choices / consolidation [Re: J.G.] #8521434 02/03/22 03:45 PM
S
Sewer rat Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
S

So there's that.

Why wouldn't it work?

Rail never leaves the rifle. Rings hold the scope the same, all the time. The Weaver style connection is as solid as it gets.

AR guys use QD (Quick Detach) mounts for day optic, and switch to NV or Thermal. Those typically have levers. The rings with the Weaver style clamp, cross bolts, and nuts are even stronger, and even more repeatable. Especially if the nuts are torqued with a torque wrench.

I am aware of the QD mounts. I have them on one of my rifles but I never take them off. I thought the same thing when I was installing them - if I take this off will it be the same when I put it back?. I haven’t done the math but I assume the tiniest movement at the scope makes a big difference in point of impact at 100,200, 300 yards whatever. When putting scopes on a pic rail it always feels like there is some movement before it is clamped down. Not a lot but some. It just seems that it could possibly be clamped down in a slightly different position each time. Maybe not though. I have never removed one, put it back, shot and compared. That is why I was saying I believe you when you say it is repeatable. I was just saying my gut feel from mounting scopes makes me think it wouldn’t be.

Re: Caliber choices / consolidation [Re: Sewer rat] #8521448 02/03/22 03:53 PM
A
Archer Anthony Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
A
I currently have
22lr
22-250
7mm Rem Mag
28 Nosler
30-06
300 Wby
338 Win Mag

If I HAD to consolidate I would go with 22-250/28 Nosler/338 Win mag

But I plan on collecting more. Just my personal opinion more is better.

Re: Caliber choices / consolidation [Re: angus1956] #8521449 02/03/22 03:53 PM
S
Sewer rat Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
S

On the majority of my rifles I would say the scope cost more than the rifle did.

The original intent of my thread isn’t so much about budget but about availability and strategy, a few years ago when one could stroll into any gun shop or go to any website and buy virtually any ammo they wanted it was one thing but now that is definitely not the case and I think it is smart to consider that when selecting rifles.

Lets say I want to buy 3000 rounds to keep as a stockpile. If I have rifles in six different calibers then that is 500 rounds each. I might run out of ammo before too long if one of those calibers I shoot more. On the other hand if I settle on one caliber and buy 3000 rounds for it that should last a really long time. If I don’t go crazy target shooting that could conceivably be a lifetime supply of ammo.

Re: Caliber choices / consolidation [Re: Sewer rat] #8521486 02/03/22 04:15 PM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
I am aware of the QD mounts. I have them on one of my rifles but I never take them off. I thought the same thing when I was installing them - if I take this off will it be the same when I put it back?. I haven’t done the math but I assume the tiniest movement at the scope makes a big difference in point of impact at 100,200, 300 yards whatever. When putting scopes on a pic rail it always feels like there is some movement before it is clamped down. Not a lot but some. It just seems that it could possibly be clamped down in a slightly different position each time. Maybe not though. I have never removed one, put it back, shot and compared. That is why I was saying I believe you when you say it is repeatable. I was just saying my gut feel from mounting scopes makes me think it wouldn’t be.

If there is slack in the pic rail notches, scoot the optic mount forward. Under recoil, that's where scopes and mounts slip to. It is counterintuitive, but they do. The rifle slides out from under the optic and mount, if there is slack. It is pretty standard procedure for some guys to put the little plastic covers over the pic rail slots they do not use. It tells then exactly which notches the mount needs to go back to. Mount in the notches, scoot forward, close the levers. Much of this has to do with the quality of the optic mount. The upper end brands exceed $200. But in scope moving on and off a rifle, consistency is the name of the game.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Re: Caliber choices / consolidation [Re: Sewer rat] #8521494 02/03/22 04:19 PM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity

On the majority of my rifles I would say the scope cost more than the rifle did.

The original intent of my thread isn’t so much about budget but about availability and strategy, a few years ago when one could stroll into any gun shop or go to any website and buy virtually any ammo they wanted it was one thing but now that is definitely not the case and I think it is smart to consider that when selecting rifles.

Lets say I want to buy 3000 rounds to keep as a stockpile. If I have rifles in six different calibers then that is 500 rounds each. I might run out of ammo before too long if one of those calibers I shoot more. On the other hand if I settle on one caliber and buy 3000 rounds for it that should last a really long time. If I don’t go crazy target shooting that could conceivably be a lifetime supply of ammo.

Watching loading components for 11 years. Especially the last two years, if you want to stay supplied, .224" bullets and .30 cal bullets have pretty much been available. I love 6.5mm and 7mm, but we are in trouble with bullet availability right now.

So for survival purposes, .223 Rem, .308 Win, and .300 Win Mag would be a good list of three. A small, medium, and a large.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide