Print Thread
lawn pre-emergent? #8513478 01/25/22 09:59 PM
F
fishfree Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
F
My lawn is admittedly very rough and weedy. I don't know weed names but I am sure 2 of the weeds that need to be attacked are crabgrass and khaki weed.

Is this the right time to put down a pre-emergent or is it too early?

Any recommendations?

I'm in San Angelo.

Thanks for any help.

Re: lawn pre-emergent? [Re: fishfree] #8513488 01/25/22 10:11 PM
Derek Online Content
Fert Squirter
Online Content
Fert Squirter
Stonewall is Prodiamine and I get great results with it. Apply it Feb 15th and August 15th. 2.5lbs of product per 1000sq feet. Needs to be watered in well after application.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Lesco-LESCO-Stonewall-Crabgrass-Preventer-0-0-7/5001213041

Re: lawn pre-emergent? [Re: Derek] #8513503 01/25/22 10:24 PM
F
fishfree Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
F
thanks for the quick reply

Re: lawn pre-emergent? [Re: fishfree] #8513795 01/26/22 04:10 AM
Derek Online Content
Fert Squirter
Online Content
Fert Squirter
If you don't do anything else to your lawn this year, please get out the pre-emergent ahead of a rain storm.

Re: lawn pre-emergent? [Re: fishfree] #8513796 01/26/22 04:12 AM
Bee'z Online Happy
The Beedazzler
Online Happy
The Beedazzler
D I am thinking a switch to K8 from 15-5-10. Same amounts roughly. Thoughts?

[Linked Image]
Re: lawn pre-emergent? [Re: Bee'z] #8513801 01/26/22 04:25 AM
B
Bullfrog Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
B
Originally Posted by 2Beez

I may alternate back to the K8 too. I used this last with great results Beez. Maybe your closest feed store has something similar too?
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by machinist
Man if I knew what Oxner knows I could throw away what I know
Re: lawn pre-emergent? [Re: Bee'z] #8513802 01/26/22 04:25 AM
Derek Online Content
Fert Squirter
Online Content
Fert Squirter

K8 is a 15-5-10. Just different list of ingredients and uptake of nutrients. IE the Nitrogen source is Ammonium Sulfate vs Urea. Let me check the label on the 15-5-10 you're using. K8 is tough to beat in NTX, but you're basically in the N. Pole.

Re: lawn pre-emergent? [Re: Derek] #8514002 01/26/22 03:04 PM
J
Judd Online Confused
#1 Creedmoor Fan
Online Confused
#1 Creedmoor Fan
J
Originally Posted by Derek

K8 is a 15-5-10. Just different list of ingredients and uptake of nutrients. IE the Nitrogen source is Ammonium Sulfate vs Urea. Let me check the label on the 15-5-10 you're using. K8 is tough to beat in NTX, but you're basically in the N. Pole.

Most would say he's a Yankee so north pole was a nice and accurate analogy.

Originally Posted by Phil Robertson
Don't let your ears hear what your eyes didn't see, and don't let your mouth say what your heart doesn't feel
Re: lawn pre-emergent? [Re: fishfree] #8515009 01/27/22 02:57 PM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Hit it with Round-Up. Generic glyphosate from Tractor Supply Co.

1.6 ounce per gallon.

I do this all year, even when Bermuda is green and active. Glyphosate was designed to combat broad grass leaf grass within Bermuda, at that mix rate.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Precision Rifle Instruction
Memberships and Classes Available
Re: lawn pre-emergent? [Re: J.G.] #8515508 01/28/22 01:53 AM
D
DannyB Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
D
Originally Posted by FiremanJG

1.6 ounce per gallon.

I do this all year, even when Bermuda is green and active. Glyphosate was designed to combat broad grass leaf grass within Bermuda, at that mix rate.

When I played golf many years ago I knew a greenskeeper that had pretty slim budget. He also had a degree in Horticulture. He sprayed everything but the fairways with what he called heavily diluted glyphosate. The rough would have tall heavy clover that ate golf balls. He sprayed that and the clover died off and Bermuda came back. He said Bermuda was so tough that it would grow on a parking lot if you watered it.

Re: lawn pre-emergent? [Re: DannyB] #8515534 01/28/22 02:31 AM
Derek Online Content
Fert Squirter
Online Content
Fert Squirter
Originally Posted by DannyB

1.6 ounce per gallon.

When I played golf many years ago I knew a greenskeeper that had pretty slim budget. He also had a degree in Horticulture. He sprayed everything but the fairways with what he called heavily diluted glyphosate. The rough would have tall heavy clover that ate golf balls. He sprayed that and the clover died off and Bermuda came back. He said Bermuda was so tough that it would grow on a parking lot if you watered it.

Yea you're not going to kill bermuda with a single application of Gly. It will yellow it and ding it but not come close to killing it. No way I would recommend spraying it on lawns even at low rates during the growing season. Spot spraying, yes. Last year my neighbor accidentally grabbed a bottle of Spectracide grass and weed killer (Red Label) and blanket sprayed his whole yard with a heavy mix of it. Common case of not reading the label. Few days later his bermuda was toast. It was hilarious. Took about 6 weeks but we got it looking like nothing ever happened.

Re: lawn pre-emergent? [Re: DannyB] #8517290 01/30/22 03:56 PM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity

1.6 ounce per gallon.

Fact

The guys I work with, we have a joke. "If you want Bermuda grass, put down gravel".

One of them, I think solved why. The gravel allows water to trickle down, but prevents evaporation. Thereby keeping the soil below holding more moisture throughout the year.

Once established, Bermuda requires an insane amount of glyphosate to kill. I think six times the rate I mentioned.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Re: lawn pre-emergent? [Re: Derek] #8517295 01/30/22 04:01 PM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by Derek

1.6 ounce per gallon.

Yea you're not going to kill bermuda with a single application of Gly. It will yellow it and ding it but not come close to killing it. No way I would recommend spraying it on lawns even at low rates during the growing season. Spot spraying, yes. Last year my neighbor accidentally grabbed a bottle of Spectracide grass and weed killer (Red Label) and blanket sprayed his whole yard with a heavy mix of it. Common case of not reading the label. Few days later his bermuda was toast. It was hilarious. Took about 6 weeks but we got it looking like nothing ever happened.

Let the Bermuda get a but tall, like 3" tall. Spray it any time you want to. I have done it in July, in sunshine and 95° Temps for about ten years now. I spray it in my yard, and in my pasture. The hotter the better. Johnson grass and crabgrass dies. The Bermuda might yellow, and it might not. Mow it 3-5 days after application and you have nothing but green healthy Bermuda left behind. $2 per acre. I do this about every 4-8 weeks during the growing season, depending on if I missed any on the last application. Usually I broadcast spray, and then just spot spray from then on. I hauled dort out of the pasture to make my house pad and yard. It had native, common Bermuda in it. We were still building the house and I was already mowing the yard with a ZTR. Some people asked if I put down sod, already.

Your neighbor may have mixed it too hot, and/or let the Bermuda be too short when he sprayed.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Re: lawn pre-emergent? [Re: fishfree] #8518059 01/31/22 03:13 PM
Derek Online Content
Fert Squirter
Online Content
Fert Squirter
You're correct the bermuda will push thorough the lower mix no problem. But I couldn't maintain bermuda at 3". It would give me a nervous breakdown lol. I like low cut. Sub 1". I prefer to use selective herbicides, with no or limited heat restrictions. I know plenty of people maintain higher cut bermuda and it looks fine. Specially cutting it every 3-5days like you're doing. Your method is working great for you, we just have 2 different approaches but both work to meet our goals. Nothing wrong with that. cheers

Re: lawn pre-emergent? [Re: Derek] #8518592 02/01/22 12:11 AM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
I let it get tall, just for spraying glyphosate. If it's May/June, I cut it 2" tall. Which causes it to spread, and take over. When 90°-100°F, I cut it 3" tall. Going shorter will stress it, since I do not irrigate grass.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide