Forums46
Topics537,757
Posts9,728,736
Members87,039
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Shoulder or Behind the Shoulder [Re: ILUVBIGBUCKS] #8513201 01/25/22 04:38 PM
J
JJH Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
J
Originally Posted by ILUVBIGBUCKS
For me it completely depends on the condition and situation.

If I am in more open country where tracking is a breeze and not in the hairy thick stuff like you find in a lot of south texas, I put it right through their wheel house about 1/3 of the way up and just behind the shoulder crease with them dead broadside.

If it is thick, I am putting it through their shoulder and doing whatever I can to break them down right where they stand.

^^^^^
This

Re: Shoulder or Behind the Shoulder [Re: D-B] #8513780 01/26/22 03:42 AM
B
Brother Phil Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
B
I aim for the lungs, behind the shoulder, about 1/3 of the way up the body. Many times the deer is not exactly broadside, or my shot is a little off, and I tag a shoulder. Most of my deer drop where standing, however, this year I heart shot a deer, that was standing partially behind a tree, and it ran about 80 yards. Shooting a deer through the shoulders works, I just don't see the point of blasting away some of the meat.

Re: Shoulder or Behind the Shoulder [Re: D-B] #8513786 01/26/22 03:48 AM
L
LeonCarr Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
L
High Shoulder...slight meat destruction for instant recovery and minimal suffering, I am fine with that.

"Whitetail Deer are extinct because of rifles with telescopes mounted on them." - My 11th Grade English Teacher
Re: Shoulder or Behind the Shoulder [Re: D-B] #8513805 01/26/22 04:34 AM
H
huntwest Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
H
Depends on situation. If I have a trophy hunter and we find a shooter buck it is shoulder shots only. Big bucks in thick cover can go a long way with a lung shot. To easy to loose in thick cover.
Does and culls for meat neck shot.
I used to do head shots on meat deer until I had one move at the perfect moment and shot her bottom jaw off. The poor deer died a slow agonizing death. To easy for that to happen so I quit the head shots.

Re: Shoulder or Behind the Shoulder [Re: huntwest] #8513882 01/26/22 12:59 PM
I
ILUVBIGBUCKS Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
I

Originally Posted by huntwest
Depends on situation. If I have a trophy hunter and we find a shooter buck it is shoulder shots only. Big bucks in thick cover can go a long way with a lung shot. To easy to loose in thick cover.
I used to do head shots on meat deer until I had one move at the perfect moment and shot her bottom jaw off. The poor deer died a slow agonizing death. To easy for that to happen so I quit the head shots.

I had the same thing happen to me on a cull buck about 20 years ago but was lucky enough to see that deer a day later and put him out of his misery.
Hell, when I was younger and had better eyes, steadier hand, and ran 400-600 rounds through my rifles each year I shot all does and culls at the base of head at the neck or in the head. Not anymore. I just don't spend the time shooting I used to and I don't want to risk this every happening to another deer again. My son however makes quick work of the head with the does and culls. lol

High fence, low fence, no fence, it really doesn't matter as long as you're hunting!
Re: Shoulder or Behind the Shoulder [Re: ILUVBIGBUCKS] #8513899 01/26/22 01:19 PM
H
Hudbone Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
H

I had the same thing happen to me on a cull buck about 20 years ago but was lucky enough to see that deer a day later and put him out of his misery.
Hell, when I was younger and had better eyes, steadier hand, and ran 400-600 rounds through my rifles each year I shot all does and culls at the base of head at the neck or in the head. Not anymore. I just don't spend the time shooting I used to and I don't want to risk this every happening to another deer again. My son however makes quick work of the head with the does and culls. lol

Yep on the above.

Took a head shot twenty something years ago near the Medio Creek and the spike ran off with jaw dangling whereupon I shot again only to hit him in the guts. Followed the stomachs and other internal organs as deep into the brush and as far away as you could possibly get a vehicle to. Caught up with him to find him head still up under a huisache, but seemingly pleading for me to put him out of his misery. No lower jaw and pretty much already gutted, it wasn't good.

Re: Shoulder or Behind the Shoulder [Re: Hudbone] #8513905 01/26/22 01:22 PM
D
DQ Kid Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
Originally Posted by Hudbone

Yep on the above.

Took a head shot twenty something years ago near the Medio Creek and the spike ran off with jaw dangling whereupon I shot again only to hit him in the guts. Followed the stomachs and other internal organs as deep into the brush and as far away as you could possibly get a vehicle to. Caught up with him to find him head still up under a huisache, but seemingly pleading for me to put him out of his misery. No lower jaw and pretty much already gutted, it wasn't good.

Shoot enough animals and that scenario will and does happen; had a jaw shot myself at age 12. Not a pretty sight, bugged me for that season but you learn to accept it as bound to happen at some point, learn from it and move on.

Re: Shoulder or Behind the Shoulder [Re: Hudbone] #8513959 01/26/22 02:18 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S

Yep on the above.

On ranches I managed or hunt on, there have been a ton of deer shot. Only a couple had this happen but very few took this shot. Those 2 deer shot in the head ran off with jaw dangling and we tried to track and kill them that day. I was able to kill them in the next 2 weeks trying to eat at corn feeders. Years ago I took a few headshots and luckily not had this happen due to waiting for the deer to present the shot I wanted to take. It is just not a shot I take anymore.

Are idiots multiplying faster than normal people?[Linked Image]
Re: Shoulder or Behind the Shoulder [Re: stxranchman] #8514119 01/26/22 05:01 PM
H
hook_n_line Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
H
Originally Posted by stxranchman

Yep on the above.

On ranches I managed or hunt on, there have been a ton of deer shot. Only a couple had this happen but very few took this shot. Those 2 deer shot in the head ran off with jaw dangling and we tried to track and kill them that day. I was able to kill them in the next 2 weeks trying to eat at corn feeders. Years ago I took a few headshots and luckily not had this happen due to waiting for the deer to present the shot I wanted to take. It is just not a shot I take anymore.

I only do headshots if I'm using my .243 or 22-250, the deer is close and head down towards me.

Sometimes it's hard being me! But somebody has to do it.
Re: Shoulder or Behind the Shoulder [Re: D-B] #8514159 01/26/22 05:39 PM
Q
QuitShootinYoungBucks Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Q
I will take a head shot once every 2-3 years when the stars align. Inside 50 yards, very calm deer that is not moving much, and with a rifle that is extremely accurate from a very solid rest. But I don't go looking for those shots or thinking that I'm Chris Kyle.

[Linked Image]

https://web.archive.org/web/20170223065011/http:/www.rrdvegas.com/silencer-cleaning.html
Re: Shoulder or Behind the Shoulder [Re: hook_n_line] #8514185 01/26/22 06:07 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
Originally Posted by hook_n_line

Yep on the above.

I only do headshots if I'm using my .243 or 22-250, the deer is close and head down towards me.

cheers Same for me when I took headshots but it was with a .223 or .270.

Re: Shoulder or Behind the Shoulder [Re: D-B] #8514525 01/26/22 11:25 PM
B
Biscuit Online Shocked
THF Celebrity
Online Shocked
THF Celebrity
B
Thanks for sharing, good info

Re: Shoulder or Behind the Shoulder [Re: D-B] #8514705 01/27/22 01:49 AM
dogcatcher Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Not all shooters are equal, last year I saw one brought into the processor that was shot 3 times, once in the butt, once in the middle and finally in the shoulder.

Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
_____________"Illegitimus non carborundum est"_______________

[Linked Image]
Re: Shoulder or Behind the Shoulder [Re: D-B] #8514806 01/27/22 04:03 AM
S
sprigsss Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
S
We never intentionally shoot the shoulders or heart, we always try to double lung them.

If we don’t get a perfectly broadside shot, we don’t shoot.

Hate hitting the opposite shoulder especially.

Deer rarely run more than 30 yards.

Re: Shoulder or Behind the Shoulder [Re: D-B] #8515729 01/28/22 02:36 PM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Making the brain stem shot, I dang sure check cold bore shot, on paper, a few times before going on a hunt. Fortunately for me, I have a rifle range in my front yard. I just don't want these terrible stories to happen to me. I make sure it will be a clean hit. As soon as they are 200 yards, or more, I go to vitals.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Precision Rifle Instruction
Memberships and Classes Available
Re: Shoulder or Behind the Shoulder [Re: D-B] #8516510 01/29/22 02:11 PM
H
hawk Online Content
Pro Tracker
Online Content
Pro Tracker
H
It depends on the situation. Big buck, heavy brush, a long way from the vehicle, high shoulder.

Re: Shoulder or Behind the Shoulder [Re: J.G.] #8517860 01/31/22 04:28 AM
4D RANCH Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
Heart/lung on any deer that has my heart rate up and I have to control my breathing on!!! High shoulder (negative)! I neck shoot does sometimes but I guess it would be really be determined by how confident you are are in your shooting skill and how confident you are in what your shooting!

Last edited by 4D RANCH; 01/31/22 05:02 AM.

James Davis
4-D Whitetail Ranch
Re: Shoulder or Behind the Shoulder [Re: BOBO the Clown] #8518063 01/31/22 03:19 PM
T
Texas Dan Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by BOBO the Clown
High shoulder or same methodology. A deer that is recovered where you shot it is better then having to look for a deer, which has a higher unrecoverable potential .

Same for me because it offers the largest margin for error. Two or three inches low and I'm still in the heart and lung area. Two or three inches high and I'm close enough to the spine.

"Some people will never like you because your spirit irritates their demons."
Re: Shoulder or Behind the Shoulder [Re: D-B] #8518139 01/31/22 04:18 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
With young hunters or new hunters I always tell them to follow the leg up and put it square in the shoulder. If you tell them to shoot behind the shoulder they will always shoot behind the shoulder no matter if the leg is forward or back. Depending on how the deer is standing it can and does end up in a marginal shot with a long tracking job.

Re: Shoulder or Behind the Shoulder [Re: stxranchman] #8518215 01/31/22 05:42 PM
BOBO the Clown Online Content
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
With young hunters or new hunters I always tell them to follow the leg up and put it square in the shoulder. If you tell them to shoot behind the shoulder they will always shoot behind the shoulder no matter if the leg is forward or back. Depending on how the deer is standing it can and does end up in a marginal shot with a long tracking job.

That how I describe it also.

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: Shoulder or Behind the Shoulder [Re: D-B] #8518301 01/31/22 06:40 PM
G
GLC Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
G
2/3 way down from the top of the back, behind the shoulder/knee whether I am bow hunting or with rifle.

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide