Page 1 of 2 1 2
Italian hunter killed by wild boar #8512883 01/25/22 05:49 AM
T
Texas Dan Online Content OP
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
A situation most of us have have sometimes feared might one day face us.

Link

Last edited by Texas Dan; 01/25/22 05:50 AM.

"Some people will never like you because your spirit irritates their demons."
Re: Italian hunter killed by wild boar [Re: Texas Dan] #8512894 01/25/22 06:47 AM
B
blkt2 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
B
Fair is fair.

Re: Italian hunter killed by wild boar [Re: Texas Dan] #8512899 01/25/22 07:04 AM
Ol Thumper Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
One reason you should always have a belt on and know the basics of first aid. Sometimes it’s the simplest of things that can save your life,

Re: Italian hunter killed by wild boar [Re: Texas Dan] #8512997 01/25/22 01:35 PM
B
Biscuit Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
B
Whoa

Re: Italian hunter killed by wild boar [Re: Texas Dan] #8513066 01/25/22 02:48 PM
Double Naught Spy Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Sadly, this was a totally avoidable tragedy, before the injury, and as Ol Thumper indicated, likely after the injury as well.

Hogdalorian - Si vis pacem cum sus, para bellum.
My Videos https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange
Re: Italian hunter killed by wild boar [Re: Texas Dan] #8513133 01/25/22 03:47 PM
E
EddieWalker Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
E
Back in the 90's a friend of mine shot a pig with an arrow. While following the blood trail, the pig charged him and nocked him down. The pig was on top of him and he had his hand in the pigs mouth as it was trying to attack him. He was able to get an arrow and stab it to death while he was on his back, and the pig was on top of him.

His hand and forearm where cut up pretty good, but his thumb and forefinger where chewed up really bad. They had to cut skin from his [censored] to put on his thumb and finger. For awhile, he didn't know if he was going to lose them or not. Eventually it all healed up and he made a full recover.

He was hunting with 3 other guys and they where able to get him to a hospital fairly quickly. This was up near Willits in Northern California. The pig was a sow that weighed around 150 pounds.

Re: Italian hunter killed by wild boar [Re: Double Naught Spy] #8513169 01/25/22 04:16 PM
F
flintknapper Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Originally Posted by Double Naught Spy
Sadly, this was a totally avoidable tragedy, before the injury, and as Ol Thumper indicated, likely after the injury as well.

Yep.

ALWAYS approach any downed animal with caution. Make your approach from the rear of the animal, don't get in a hurry. If there is ANY doubt about its condition (still alive) be ready to administer an 'insurance' shot or a 'coup de grâce' if the animal is nearly gone. More than a few hunters have learned this lesson the hard way.

Nearly did this myself one time. I had taken a walking shot on a quite large boar. Distance 50 yds. (7mm-08, 140 gr. bullet). Targeted the middle of the neck but unbeknownst to me hit a bit higher. The boar went down like it had been struck by lightning. No movement whatsoever. I was in an elevated stand, so I watched the animal for a good five minutes before getting down.

As I was walking toward the Boar (still no movement) and while I was still 10 yards away, it suddenly rolled up onto it's belly (having been on its side) and was in the process of getting its feet under it when I shot it again and put it down. Upon examination my first shot had hit above what I thought my aiming spot was and struck one of the Dorsal Spines of the vertebrae in the neck. Basically just knocked the boar out for awhile.

In the case of the Italian hunter, the worst possible thing occurred. A Boar can injure you pretty badly just 'ripping' you with a cutter, but in this case the boar BIT the hunter.

Hogs (Boars or Sows) have a bite capable of crushing bones. That would be bad enough, but a boar biting and shaking you...is going to be a most unpleasant experience.

Yes, its possible for a boar to gouge/rip you with his cutters in a spot that could be life threatening. After all...anywhere you can take a 'pulse' on the human body, you can sever/cut a vein or artery with just 3/4" of tusk. But this would be pretty rare. Not so with a vicious bite!

It is not an easy thing to stem the flow of arterial blood. If you are by yourself...this is especially true. But each person going afield should have basic knowledge in life saving medical techniques and the equipment on hand to do so (even if improvised). With certain injuries (Femoral, Brachial, Carotid...arteries) you can bleed out PDQ. Sometimes you simply can not save a person. I feel bad for the hunter and the Father, but 'crying out for help' isn't going to do a darn thing. You have to act.

Last edited by flintknapper; 01/25/22 04:19 PM.

Spartans ask not...how many, but where!
Re: Italian hunter killed by wild boar [Re: Texas Dan] #8513219 01/25/22 04:56 PM
T
Texas Dan Online Content OP
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
I suspect more than a few of us have seen a wild boar dust off a hard hit and get back up. I hit one once and had him get up and try walking off after a minute or two of laying on the ground kicking.

I also have a friend who once reached into a hog trap prematurely. It was a mistake that as far as I know he never made again.

Last edited by Texas Dan; 01/25/22 05:00 PM.

"Some people will never like you because your spirit irritates their demons."
Re: Italian hunter killed by wild boar [Re: Texas Dan] #8513263 01/25/22 06:04 PM
Gumbeaux Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
My boy shot a good sized boar this year and it dropped like a rock, barely even kicked. We watched it and about 5 minutes later it pulled itself up on it's front legs, back legs not working, and started dragging itself off. Not one to let something suffer, we got out of the blind to go put it down.

Got to it and it was still dragging itself off. I had my Bond Snake Slayer on me so only 2 shots. Took the first shot from about 15' and hit it, but apparently just enough to make it mad. It turned to come for me but fortunately only on 2 legs. Second shot was right between the eyes and it went down. He definitely wanted to fight.

Definite lessons learned on that one. I will no longer chase wounded pigs with a derringer and will try to put down from a distance with a rifle whenever possible.

[Linked Image]
Re: Italian hunter killed by wild boar [Re: Gumbeaux] #8513351 01/25/22 07:35 PM
F
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Originally Posted by Gumbeaux
I will no longer chase wounded pigs with a derringer and will try to put down from a distance with a rifle whenever possible.

^^^^^

Good practice.

I had set several snares one afternoon and went to go check them the next morning early. I had a pistol in my truck but didn't take it with me (on my person).

I use Cam Locks on my snares and the hogs that are caught are normally dead when I find them. But this time a large boar had managed to step through the loop with a front leg....so I had him caught basically around the neck and shoulder. He was very much alive and equally unhappy. I eased up a little closer to see what the deal was (how he was caught).

Once he saw me...he made a run at me. The snare cable held and jerked him back around. But he immediately turned and came at me again. Only this time the 'stop' on the end of cable popped off. The hog was now free and HE KNEW IT!

Rather than run away....here he comes. There was probably 25 yds between us and he covered that distance in nothing flat. I got behind a tree as he made a pass at me and thankfully he decided to keep on going. After that day I started carrying my pistol on my person and anytime I catch a hog and it is still alive (unless very small) I will use my rifle and shoot it from a distance.

Usually, they will be caught around the neck and the snare strangles them quickly. But sometimes they get caught by the snout, or have their mouth open and get caught by the jaw, a leg, or step through and be shoulder caught. None of these things are good.

I also crimp on a second stop on all of my snares and epoxy them to be double-darn sure they don't pop off. If I hadn't had a tree to get behind that day...the Boar would have pretty much had his way with me.

[Linked Image]

Example of one that was caught around the snout:
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: Italian hunter killed by wild boar [Re: Texas Dan] #8513730 01/26/22 02:24 AM
J
Jimbo1 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
J
Sad deal. 2 million wild boars in Italy...would have never guessed that.

FJB - Lets Go Brandon
BBB - Bring Back Better
Awake - Not Woke!
Re: Italian hunter killed by wild boar [Re: Texas Dan] #8514574 01/26/22 11:42 PM
T
TKandMike Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
T
That's unfortunate.

Re: Italian hunter killed by wild boar [Re: Texas Dan] #8517278 01/30/22 03:44 PM
J
Jimbo Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J
There are a lot of people who will say they killed hundreds of hogs and that a wild hog won't charge you, and I've been in the woods and hunted hogs for years and never had it happen, so I was in that same mindset until it happened to me.
I had four cartridges in my Winchester 94 and probably sounded like the rifleman as a big sow ran straight toward me as I fired off round after round, and finally stopped the charge at 20' when I connected with the last round.
That made a believer out of me, and my last hope had I missed was using the rifle as a club.
My advise is don't depend on a pistol.....Carry a rifle!

Thursday at 12:45 PM
Once i learned that i didn't "NEED" to kill something, and that if i did kill something all the fun stopped and work began, i was a much better hunter.
Re: Italian hunter killed by wild boar [Re: Texas Dan] #8555123 03/13/22 05:06 AM
G
guysamson Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
G
Terrible.

Life passes most people by while they're busy making grand plans for it.

www.ottfamilyjewelry.com
Great prices on chains, bracelets, and rings.
Re: Italian hunter killed by wild boar [Re: Texas Dan] #8558113 03/17/22 03:47 AM
HWY_MAN Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
I was hog hunting with my brother and some of his friends down on the Quattro B and the guide made the comment that a hunter had to life flighted off a neighboring ranch. Hog got him down and opened up the inside of his leg, damn near bleed to death.

Yes! A Weatherby does kill them deader.
Re: Italian hunter killed by wild boar [Re: Jimbo] #8558650 03/17/22 09:53 PM
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted by Jimbo
There are a lot of people who will say they killed hundreds of hogs and that a wild hog won't charge you, and I've been in the woods and hunted hogs for years and never had it happen, so I was in that same mindset until it happened to me.
I had four cartridges in my Winchester 94 and probably sounded like the rifleman as a big sow ran straight toward me as I fired off round after round, and finally stopped the charge at 20' when I connected with the last round.
That made a believer out of me, and my last hope had I missed was using the rifle as a club.
My advise is don't depend on a pistol.....Carry a rifle!

I certainly have never said that a hog won't charge you, but in the grand scheme of things, it is extremely unlikely for a hog you aren't trying to capture or harm to harm you. The people commonly injured by hogs are hog doggers and trappers.

Most folks think deer are pretty harmless as well, but there are more attacks by deer on people than hogs. This was the first instance that drew my attention to the danger of deer. The guy was collecting bottles from the side of the road and not hunting, trapping, or otherwise going after deer.
https://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/os-xpm-1990-10-31-9010310535-story.html

The point here is that ANY wild animal can hurt you, even if their typical behavior is to run away from you.

Re: Italian hunter killed by wild boar [Re: Double Naught Spy] #8559055 03/18/22 12:09 PM
HWY_MAN Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
The point here is that ANY wild animal can hurt you, even if their typical behavior is to run away from you.

That's the truth! Several decades ago I was living nth of Stanton in a company house working for CRMWD, had a small garden and a gopher problem. I decided to flood out the gopher so I shoved a hose down the hole and hit it with water. Out came a really pissed off gopher about the size of a badger with 3 inch teeth and claws 6 inches long. He chased me one lap around the yard before I made it to the porch, run into the house and got the shotgun. My wife who was sitting on the porch didn't even come to my rescue, she was laughing so hard she couldn't move. Damaged my manhood considerably and pulled a muscle in my calf making a dive for the porch. I hung his little azz on the fence post out front. Took years to recover from that one.

Re: Italian hunter killed by wild boar [Re: Texas Dan] #8559060 03/18/22 12:14 PM
HWY_MAN Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Back on topic. I haven't shot as many hog's as some of y'all have but I've taken my share. To this day I can honestly say I've never had a hog do anything but run away, I can't say the same about Javalina's. I've had Javalina's spook me a few times, those little guys are fearless, like a deranged Jack Russell.

Re: Italian hunter killed by wild boar [Re: Double Naught Spy] #8559237 03/18/22 03:16 PM
M
mikei Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
M

DNS, you probably spend more time thrashing around it tall grass recovering hogs you've shot than all of us put together. What hand gun do you carry with you as you rummage around?

Re: Italian hunter killed by wild boar [Re: Texas Dan] #8559361 03/18/22 05:44 PM
T
txtrophy85 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
I've seen one instance of a hog that got a guy, tried to kill it with a knife as it was bayed by dogs and it got loose and cut him in the back of the leg bad enough that it required stitches.

The boars in Spain are a true Eurasian Wild Boar and from what I know they are a bit more onery than our feral hogs. I've been around my share of hogs and I've never had them do anything but run away. I don't put anything past a wounded animal however and give them all ample respect...only animal I've been charged by was a wounded coon.

I've never heard of an instance where a non-wounded hog went after someone intentionally. I have had them almost run into me as their eyesight is so poor they did not know I was there.

For it is not the quarry that we truly seek, but the adventure.
Re: Italian hunter killed by wild boar [Re: HWY_MAN] #8559372 03/18/22 05:55 PM
skinnerback Online Content
THF Celebrity Chef
Online Content
THF Celebrity Chef
Originally Posted by HWY_MAN

That's the truth! Several decades ago I was living nth of Stanton in a company house working for CRMWD, had a small garden and a gopher problem. I decided to flood out the gopher so I shoved a hose down the hole and hit it with water. Out came a really pissed off gopher about the size of a badger with 3 inch teeth and claws 6 inches long. He chased me one lap around the yard before I made it to the porch, run into the house and got the shotgun. My wife who was sitting on the porch didn't even come to my rescue, she was laughing so hard she couldn't move. Damaged my manhood considerably and pulled a muscle in my calf making a dive for the porch. I hung his little azz on the fence post out front. Took years to recover from that one.

roflmao

Re: Italian hunter killed by wild boar [Re: Texas Dan] #8560393 03/20/22 03:49 AM
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter

I have had them almost run into me as their eyesight is so poor they did not know I was there.

Hogs don't actually have poor eyesight. People often confuse behavior with capability. If that is the case, then I have been around a lot of deer, cattle, birds, beaver, horses, dogs, cats, etc. with eyesight so poor that they could not see me. Or, maybe they could see me and didn't notice me or didn't have any reason to pay attention to me.

If a hog hasn't learned to fear humans, they will often let you get pretty close. If they are preoccupied with feeding, they experience they same thing humans do called attention blindness, or a failure to notice things around them that are actually quite apparent.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vJG698U2Mvo

I have been busted at night and down wind of hogs on a breezy night by hogs that saw me at over 100 yards. I have been busted in daylight at over 150 in an open field.

A lot of folks will tell you their eyesight is poor. They probably see about as good as humans from the front, but where humans have about 100 degrees of good forward binocular vision, for hogs it is about 35 degrees. Their peripheral vision isn't as acute, and it isn't in most mammals with eyes on the sides of their heads, but they have a much greater field of view around their heads than do humans. They can see some 300-310 degrees around their heads. For humans, it is only about 170 degrees.

Hogs see much better at night than humans. I have watched a lot of hogs run through the woods after the shooting starts, but what I don't see are hogs crashing into trees or getting caught up in barbed wire when they go through fences. Humans can't do that.

Hogs are hampered by the positions of their heads being low to the ground. Unlike their cousins, the deer, hogs can't raise their heads up high and visually scan the area. When feeding off the ground or rooting into the ground, it doesn't take vegetation very high to physically block their views.

Hogs also really don't have a lot to fear. They don't understand ballistics and projectile weapons very well. For those that haven't been shot at, shot at recently, or very often, they will have a spatial buffer comfort zone. They may perceive you as a threat, but so long as you don't get too close, or don't suddenly charge them, they don't perceive you as a threat because that don't think you can physically get to them. I have trailed hogs in a field that would move away from me every time I tried to get close to them. If I got closer than 80-100 yards, they would move away. Finally, I just shot several of them.

Some folks will argue that hogs have underdeveloped vision compared to their other senses, those other senses only being hearing and smell. Comparatively speaking, that is true, but that doesn't mean they have poor vision. Humans have underdeveloped hearing and smell as compared to our vision, but that doesn't mean with are nearly deaf or nearly incapable of smelling.

My favorite claim about hog vision is that they are colorblind and can't see red or green light. Nothing is farther from the truth. While they are colorblind, they can't distinguish between red and green light, but they can most certainly see it. They see it so well, those of us who have hunting with 850 nm infrared illuminators know that hogs can see the dull red glow of the IR lights just like we can. Dogs and cats are colorblind as well and have no problem seeing red or green laser lights and chasing them. Not being able to distinguish between two colors of light is not the same as not being able to see the light.

Re: Italian hunter killed by wild boar [Re: Double Naught Spy] #8560409 03/20/22 04:31 AM
F
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F

I have had them almost run into me as their eyesight is so poor they did not know I was there.

Hogs don't actually have poor eyesight. People often confuse behavior with capability. If that is the case, then I have been around a lot of deer, cattle, birds, beaver, horses, dogs, cats, etc. with eyesight so poor that they could not see me. Or, maybe they could see me and didn't notice me or didn't have any reason to pay attention to me.

If a hog hasn't learned to fear humans, they will often let you get pretty close. If they are preoccupied with feeding, they experience they same thing humans do called attention blindness, or a failure to notice things around them that are actually quite apparent.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vJG698U2Mvo

I have been busted at night and down wind of hogs on a breezy night by hogs that saw me at over 100 yards. I have been busted in daylight at over 150 in an open field.

A lot of folks will tell you their eyesight is poor. They probably see about as good as humans from the front, but where humans have about 100 degrees of good forward binocular vision, for hogs it is about 35 degrees. Their peripheral vision isn't as acute, and it isn't in most mammals with eyes on the sides of their heads, but they have a much greater field of view around their heads than do humans. They can see some 300-310 degrees around their heads. For humans, it is only about 170 degrees.

Hogs see much better at night than humans. I have watched a lot of hogs run through the woods after the shooting starts, but what I don't see are hogs crashing into trees or getting caught up in barbed wire when they go through fences. Humans can't do that.

Hogs are hampered by the positions of their heads being low to the ground. Unlike their cousins, the deer, hogs can't raise their heads up high and visually scan the area. When feeding off the ground or rooting into the ground, it doesn't take vegetation very high to physically block their views.

Hogs also really don't have a lot to fear. They don't understand ballistics and projectile weapons very well. For those that haven't been shot at, shot at recently, or very often, they will have a spatial buffer comfort zone. They may perceive you as a threat, but so long as you don't get too close, or don't suddenly charge them, they don't perceive you as a threat because that don't think you can physically get to them. I have trailed hogs in a field that would move away from me every time I tried to get close to them. If I got closer than 80-100 yards, they would move away. Finally, I just shot several of them.

Some folks will argue that hogs have underdeveloped vision compared to their other senses, those other senses only being hearing and smell. Comparatively speaking, that is true, but that doesn't mean they have poor vision. Humans have underdeveloped hearing and smell as compared to our vision, but that doesn't mean with are nearly deaf or nearly incapable of smelling.

My favorite claim about hog vision is that they are colorblind and can't see red or green light. Nothing is farther from the truth. While they are colorblind, they can't distinguish between red and green light, but they can most certainly see it. They see it so well, those of us who have hunting with 850 nm infrared illuminators know that hogs can see the dull red glow of the IR lights just like we can. Dogs and cats are colorblind as well and have no problem seeing red or green laser lights and chasing them. Not being able to distinguish between two colors of light is not the same as not being able to see the light.

^^^^

Spot on....every bit of it.

"Poor Eyesight" is the #1 myth I hear about hogs.

Hogs have spectral vision and struggle to distinguish certain colors but are NOT colorblind (in the sense we normally think). They have e dichromatic vision. So.. in a pig’s eye there are two sets of cones that give the animal peak wavelength sensitivity at 439 nm (blue color) and 556 nm (green color). The photoreceptors in a pig’s eye cannot detect the color red (>650 nm)

They CAN see and recognize the colors blue and green (at certain wavelengths) but not red. However...as you aptly point out...just because they don't see Red the same way we do.....doesn't mean it is invisible to them. The source of the light (if sufficiently intense) will be noticed immediately. And shadows cast by it (or any other color) are also readily perceived.

As for eyesight in general (acuity) it is MUCH better than most people think. They have no trouble seeing clearly to 100 yards and beyond. How they react (or not) to what they see....is what folks so often misinterpret.

Re: Italian hunter killed by wild boar [Re: Texas Dan] #8560416 03/20/22 05:00 AM
G
GusWayne Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
G
A few mo ago I shot 1 free handed at around 200 yards on the run

It saw me first

Hit it right in the azz w the 22-250, I saw it pile up under a tree

Ive shot a bunch, this wasn't my first

So, thinking it would be dead or near when I got to it I walked up like I always do

It wasn't...

And Ill give credit to that wild animal, it dam near got me

And I was alone, in BFE

Re: Italian hunter killed by wild boar [Re: mikei] #8560524 03/20/22 02:03 PM
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted by procraft05
So, thinking it would be dead or near when I got to it I walked up like I always do

It wasn't...

And Ill give credit to that wild animal, it dam near got me

And I was alone, in BFE

A couple of anecdotes...
I heard this story at different times from both Dave and Alex, guys that I have hunted with. Dave I hunted with for two years nearly every week and often more than once a week, so I don't doubt the validity of the story. The guys were hunting a pecan orchard and managed to kill several hogs out of a sounder (I think it was 7). They have to collect these hogs and take them to a corner of the property, which they dutifully did. They were unloadimg the truck and had most of the hogs off when they turned to grab the next hog and were very surprised to find that not only was it still alive, it was standing up and looking at them. Then it leapt from the truck and took off running. They managed to chase it down and kill it again, but both were sort of spooked about how wrong that could have gone.

I shot two smaller hogs (~80-100 lbs) in a field the other night. I shot hog #1 until it stopped moving. I shot hog #2 only once and it never moved again during the 10 minutes I watched the field after shooting it. Then I decided to go get the truck. I get back to the field and I find hog #1 dead. Instead of hog #2, I find a pool of blood and a blood trail leading out of the field and into a thicket. Turns out, hog #2 wasn't as dead as I thought. Sometimes, it is just a good idea to just shoot them again. Hunting alone, I won't go into a thicket after a hog in the dark. Which gets to this question...

Originally Posted by mikei
DNS, you probably spend more time thrashing around it tall grass recovering hogs you've shot than all of us put together. What hand gun do you carry with you as you rummage around?

While searching for hogs in tall grass, I keep my rifle with me. Beyond that, I am usually wearing either a .45 acp 1911 or 9mm Glock. I tried a Kel-Tec PMR30 .22 mag for a while as a finishing-off gun, but it is as loud or louder than my larger calibers and a lot less effective, especially on hogs squirming around where it is harder to take a precisely placed shot.

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide