Print Thread
Bastrop SP on fire AGAIN??? #8509498 01/21/22 05:13 AM
W
WileyCoyote Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
W
Watched the evening news from DFW and they said that the fire is still burning. How many days later? . Anybody got any better info? At least no homes burned down, yet ...so far so good. I was just getting interested in trying for a Hunt at Bastrop to see if I could score a Red Deer....OH Well ...Any recc's for a next idea for a neat & different place to try for. Looks like Bend SP could be fun...or even Garner's reports nowaday's are nothing like I had experienced once upon a time & had written them off ever since then. EXO's are what I want to concentrate on....
Ron

Last edited by WileyCoyote; 01/21/22 05:15 AM. Reason: Gud Spealling is not my favorite thing

It is TIME for Term Limits, cause Politicians are like childrens diapers and for the same reasons...Robin Williams

"These are the times that try men's soul's"...Thomas Paine

"Those who fail to learn from History are doomed to repeat it" ....Santayana
Re: Bastrop SP on fire AGAIN??? [Re: WileyCoyote] #8509517 01/21/22 06:08 AM
G
gettinbirdie Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
G
Colorado bend doesn’t have many exotics but you catch the weather right and you’ll have a good hunt on white tails. I’m not sure SL is much good this year due to the big freeze they had last year. I hear they lost a bunch of axis.

Re: Bastrop SP on fire AGAIN??? [Re: WileyCoyote] #8509639 01/21/22 01:37 PM
W
WileyCoyote Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
W
Did ya'll see Matt Williams pics and long article on the frozen Exo's from 2 years ago in the Hill Country couple weeks ago? Hope we never have another one of those Ice Storms.

I talked to Matt couple years ago to see if he was gonna get published in the same state wide papers that the Dallas based writer Ray Sasser who had passed from cancer had. I knew Ray from back when I repped sporting goods for a Carrollton based Wholesaler and later covered a 5 state territory for an importer. Ray's national level photography career started at a private lake 20 minutes north of Palestine owned by a small group of Highland Park guys, who's game manager was my wife's best friend's younger brother with a degree in Game Management from SFA. Matt is filling that empty spot with excellent articles worth paying attention to.
Ron

Last edited by WileyCoyote; 01/21/22 01:40 PM. Reason: dang keyboard and my fat fingers don't work always work well together .... together

It is TIME for Term Limits, cause Politicians are like childrens diapers and for the same reasons...Robin Williams

Re: Bastrop SP on fire AGAIN??? [Re: gettinbirdie] #8509650 01/21/22 01:57 PM
W
WileyCoyote Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
W
I talked to Becky, a staff member at SLRSP, umm about a week/10 days ago and did not get a negative response on the success #'s that the hunters had had up to that time. I called because of the newspaper article & pics in the Palestine newspaper by Matt Williams for what had happened in a hard freeze on a well managed nearby ranch 2 years earlier.

Might be a dry run ...but after my hyper negative experience at Garner one time years ago, I'm still going to show up at the designated time unless everything is iced over late next week, and the hiway is too dangerous to drive on.

FWIW the reports this year here on THF have caught my interest in going back to Garner, with the way the Park is being managed now, apparently that is a 100% reversal of what I experienced back then.
My Austin based cousins have bragged about hunting the Bend for years, so it's time for me to try it out, as soon as I can get drawn.
Ron

Re: Bastrop SP on fire AGAIN??? [Re: WileyCoyote] #8509767 01/21/22 03:35 PM
68rustbucket Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Fire report last night was 70% contained.

Re: Bastrop SP on fire AGAIN??? [Re: WileyCoyote] #8509821 01/21/22 04:09 PM
W
WileyCoyote Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
W
Thats very good news, thank you.

When the decision was made to leave Lake Texoma, and get me out of the Dallas VA service area we looked hard at several of the towns up & down the I-35 corridor south of Waco. Bastrop was high on the list because of it's proximity to my wife's sister in Fayetteville, my sister in Wimberly, and my cousin's in Austin. The shock and awe at the 1st fire's damage was a mind bending event, with the loss of the number of houses & neighborhoods we had ID'ed as possible places to live. We only moved to Palestine PDQ was when the need to provide a place for our Daughter in Law to rehab after the planned 2nd brain surgery fighting cancer. Best laid plans don't always come to fruition.
Ron

Re: Bastrop SP on fire AGAIN??? [Re: WileyCoyote] #8509966 01/21/22 06:32 PM
B
Big_Country01 Online Happy
Extreme Tracker
Online Happy
Extreme Tracker
B
UPDATE: 9:00am, January 21th
A few engines remained patrolling the area overnight after mop-up operations halted shortly before midnight last night. No issues were noted.
Operations briefing was held first thing this morning, as crews prepared to return to day shift activities.

Objectives include continuing to improve the southern containment line and around the tactical burn out operation near Pine Hill Estates from Wednesday, and patrolling the northern and eastern lines.
Aviation resources remain available if needed, and an air attack is planned to fly the area today to provide aerial situational awareness.

Re: Bastrop SP on fire AGAIN??? [Re: WileyCoyote] #8510399 01/22/22 03:52 AM
68rustbucket Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Austin 6:00 pm news reported still 70% contained, and a few more acres burned.

Re: Bastrop SP on fire AGAIN??? [Re: 68rustbucket] #8510748 01/22/22 07:34 PM
B
Big_Country01 Online Happy
Extreme Tracker
Online Happy
Extreme Tracker
B
Originally Posted by 68rustbucket
Austin 6:00 pm news reported still 70% contained, and a few more acres burned.

The main reason for the acreage increase was more accurate mapping. GPSing the actual perimeter on foot and 4 wheeler versus by helicopter. They did do a burnout of some unburned area that added a few acres.

812 acres, 87% containment this AM

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide