Page 1 of 2 1 2
Let’s see your reloading bench… #8505815 01/17/22 12:58 AM
S
SnakeWrangler Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
S
I’m starting my adventure into reloading. I have a space in my shop for a 26” deep, 9’6” long table. The space already has metal cabinets above. I’m going with 38” tall working height for standing or sitting.

This is the space and my base design.

[Linked Image]

What I used as an ergonomic guide…

[Linked Image]

My design….

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

I will be screwing the shelves into the existing wall both directions…shelf into wall stud from reloading side and through OSB into shelf from the other room. Front support will be welded braces of angle iron and 1” black pipe. Angle iron screwed into shelf frames and sitting over a rebar stud set into the floor.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by Sneaky
I believe in science and I’m an insufferable [censored]
Originally Posted by beaversnipe
Actually, BBC is pretty damn good

"You Cannot Simultaneously Be Politically Correct And Intellectually Honest!"
Re: Let’s see your reloading bench… [Re: SnakeWrangler] #8505832 01/17/22 01:03 AM
S
SnakeWrangler Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
S
I’ve been looking at lots of pictures and videos on line for ideas. Planning a center work space with peg board and shelved on each side. I will also be using the cabinets above for storage. I will be building floor to ceiling 6” deep above and below the purling.

Some designs I like.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: Let’s see your reloading bench… [Re: SnakeWrangler] #8505840 01/17/22 01:06 AM
S
SnakeWrangler Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
S
I plan to hand load 12g black powder and a limited amount of 16g black powder shells. Will use a press to load 20g & 16g smokeless shells. Pistol will be .45ACP, .40S&W, and 9mm. Rifle will be .300SAV, .308, and ???

Love to see yours and hear suggestions AND WARNINGS of things to avoid.

Re: Let’s see your reloading bench… [Re: SnakeWrangler] #8505843 01/17/22 01:09 AM
R
redchevy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
R
Looks good to me make sure you have plenty of light

It's hell eatin em live
Re: Let’s see your reloading bench… [Re: redchevy] #8505904 01/17/22 01:46 AM
S
SnakeWrangler Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted by redchevy
Looks good to me make sure you have plenty of light

up up

Re: Let’s see your reloading bench… [Re: SnakeWrangler] #8506202 01/17/22 03:12 PM
K
Korean Redneck Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
K
Overall I like the idea. Seems like it would totally fulfill your desired purpose.

Some suggestions:
How the connection of the diagonal pipe, through 2 angle irons, a 4x4 (maybe, drawn like a square in the cross section) and then to the lower vertical pipe seems complicated. I have no clue how to weld, but I think I'd try to make all that into on continuous support piece by welding 2 pipes with each end coped with an angle to the get the same angle you have drawn. Basically in that side view sketch with the bottom shelf joint detail, if you extended out the upper, diagonal pipe lines down and the lower, vertical pipe up then that would be the shape I'd target. As the the "lower shelf," weld one continuous piece of angle iron on the inside. You've lose a little in shelf depth but this also had reasonable work around.

This kinda leads me to my main point, i don't think you actually need that many supports. There appears to be 4 of these along you 9'-6". The design you have seems super stout. Both the lower and upper shelves with be supported on the front with a continuous piece of wood and angle iron. I'd do a support on both ends and one in the middle. while i've crunched steel numbers for years, I have little practical experience on sizing things of this size. I think I'd try to get away just making supports on the out side and leave the upper shelf with only the ends and a 9'-6" free span in the front. You could still support the bottom shelf if that becomes heavy storage, like i do on my bench.
The following is literally what i built. As you can see, the upper table top has about a 6' free span. I'm arguing with the setup you have, 4'-9" freespan is easily doable but I think it might be able to tolerate 9'6" as well.
https://www.familyhandyman.com/project/how-to-build-a-workbench-super-simple-50-bench/

either way, good luck and be safe. 6 - Ps, appropriate safety gear, etc.

pm me if u wanna just bounce around some ideas. this is actually kinda my forte, structure steel design.

I'm a dude who likes long barrels!
Re: Let’s see your reloading bench… [Re: SnakeWrangler] #8506454 01/17/22 07:48 PM
S
Smokey Bear Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
S
Welcome to the club snake. I like your plans. I load 12, 20, & 410 in shotgun shells. .380, .38,.357, .40 s&w, & .45acp pistol and a pile of rifle stuff. I have separate benches for shotgun and center fire metallic cartridges. If I ever have to build a new bench I would strongly consider an insert to slide whichever press I am using into the bench and store the other presses on a shelf and out of the way. A couple of ideas for you to consider. A piece of trim a 1/4” tall around the edge of the work surface to keep spilled powder on the bench and off the floor. A tray under each shotgun press to capture spilled shot and powder. A shelf at eye level while seated that is level front to back and end to end with room for a powder trickler and your scale, with your powder measure mounted just to the right of the scale on the bench.
If you are a DIY individual you will most likely enjoy loading your own ammo.

Smokey Bear---Lone Star State.
Re: Let’s see your reloading bench… [Re: SnakeWrangler] #8506705 01/18/22 02:03 AM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
No peep

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Precision Rifle Instruction
Memberships and Classes Available
Re: Let’s see your reloading bench… [Re: J.G.] #8506723 01/18/22 02:16 AM
Ol Thumper Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted by FiremanJG
No peep

LMAO rofl

Re: Let’s see your reloading bench… [Re: SnakeWrangler] #8506759 01/18/22 02:52 AM
U
unclebubba Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
U
Is it climate controlled? I would change 2 things about my setup. 1. It would be a much bigger space. I have found that I load many more different cartridges than I had originally planned on. 2. It would be set up in a climate controlled space. It's a pain to store my powder and primers inside only getting out as much as I need to load.

Re: Let’s see your reloading bench… [Re: SnakeWrangler] #8506783 01/18/22 03:10 AM
Ol Thumper Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
Lots of lighting, lots of covered storage and enough bench space to spread out. I’m a huge fan of the T Tracks in the bench so you can move presses and other goodies around as needed. Tons of variables but as soon as your done with it you will find something you want changed.

Re: Let’s see your reloading bench… [Re: unclebubba] #8506798 01/18/22 03:24 AM
S
SnakeWrangler Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted by unclebubba
Is it climate controlled? I would change 2 things about my setup. 1. It would be a much bigger space. I have found that I load many more different cartridges than I had originally planned on. 2. It would be set up in a climate controlled space. It's a pain to store my powder and primers inside only getting out as much as I need to load.

Not a climate controlled space but wouldn’t take much to enclose it.

Re: Let’s see your reloading bench… [Re: Ol Thumper] #8506801 01/18/22 03:26 AM
S
SnakeWrangler Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted by Ol Thumper
Lots of lighting, lots of covered storage and enough bench space to spread out. I’m a huge fan of the T Tracks in the bench so you can move presses and other goodies around as needed. Tons of variables but as soon as your done with it you will find something you want changed.

Got the lighting figured out. Been looking at modular setups with presses/tools moves into the workspace for use them stored away from the bench

Re: Let’s see your reloading bench… [Re: SnakeWrangler] #8506914 01/18/22 01:21 PM
T
Teal28 Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
T
Looks Good Snake.
I'd suggest more plugs than what you think you need. Under cabinet plugs for lights over the work areas. Under counter plugs for your equipment that sits on the counter tops. Helps to keep clutter below the working surface. They sell the plugs with the USB ports in them. I have a few on these around my benches. Works great to not have to have the inverter in the way. Adjustable lighting is another. I used 4 dimmable can lights in my ceilings. 2 lights to a switch with a dimmer slide on the switch. Adjustable lights help a lot when you don't need it to be super bright. I have LED lights under every cabinet for work areas. Not sure on your budget but if all the lights are not in the plan for now get the plugs in so they will be there when you need them. Good luck. Looking forward to seeing your progress.

Re: Let’s see your reloading bench… [Re: Teal28] #8506939 01/18/22 01:47 PM
S
SnakeWrangler Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted by Teal28
Looks Good Snake.
I'd suggest more plugs than what you think you need. Under cabinet plugs for lights over the work areas. Under counter plugs for your equipment that sits on the counter tops. Helps to keep clutter below the working surface. They sell the plugs with the USB ports in them. I have a few on these around my benches. Works great to not have to have the inverter in the way. Adjustable lighting is another. I used 4 dimmable can lights in my ceilings. 2 lights to a switch with a dimmer slide on the switch. Adjustable lights help a lot when you don't need it to be super bright. I have LED lights under every cabinet for work areas. Not sure on your budget but if all the lights are not in the plan for now get the plugs in so they will be there when you need them. Good luck. Looking forward to seeing your progress.

Fantastic suggestions… Had already planned on lots of plugs but hadn’t thought about USB or dimmable lights! Thanks!

My plan is to get the foundation in place….lights, plugs, 4’ of pegboard, and the two primary shelves then take a long pause until I have most of my equipment/parts/etc before configuring worktop storage.

Really appreciate everyone’s thoughts and suggestions…but need more pics! Even if it’s just a small area or item!

Thanks! Jes

Re: Let’s see your reloading bench… [Re: J.G.] #8506943 01/18/22 01:48 PM
S
SnakeWrangler Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
S
No peep

I especially wanted to see yours…. bolt

Seriously, I’ve seen pictures of your work! Would love to hear your thoughts….

Re: Let’s see your reloading bench… [Re: SnakeWrangler] #8506967 01/18/22 02:10 PM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by SnakeWrangler
No peep

I especially wanted to see yours…. bolt

Seriously, I’ve seen pictures of your work! Would love to hear your thoughts….

You're gonna make me clean it up again, so I can take a pic again.

I guess it's time. It will be a couple of days before I can.

As odd as it may seem, mine is built out of wood. I was going for a piece of furniture as far as the looks of it. But also built strong. It is 3' deep and 8' long. It is belt buckle high with a stool. I stand more than sit.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Precision Rifle Instruction
Memberships and Classes Available
Re: Let’s see your reloading bench… [Re: SnakeWrangler] #8507003 01/18/22 02:41 PM
pertnear Online Content
"Demolition Man"
Online Content
"Demolition Man"
My reloading bench is 10' long mounted on square steel pipe attached to the floor & wall. The top is made up of 2 ea 2X12 & 1 ea 2x6. These are bolted to the pipe with carriage bolts & then the top is covered with a 1/8" sheet of masonite. Every so often I re-cover the top with new masonite. This last time I had so many mounting holes that I also switched the top boards around to start fresh. I built some simple cabinets with doors & I consider the doors a must for my shop environment.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

"Who controls the past controls the future. Who controls the present controls the past.” - George Orwell
Re: Let’s see your reloading bench… [Re: pertnear] #8507298 01/18/22 07:54 PM
S
SnakeWrangler Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted by pertnear
My reloading bench is 10' long mounted on square steel pipe attached to the floor & wall. The top is made up of 2 ea 2X12 & 1 ea 2x6. These are bolted to the pipe with carriage bolts & then the top is covered with a 1/8" sheet of masonite. Every so often I re-cover the top with new masonite. This last time I had so many mounting holes that I also switched the top boards around to start fresh. I built some simple cabinets with doors & I consider the doors a must for my shop environment.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Nice set up! Thanks! If you had to do it over what would you do different?

Re: Let’s see your reloading bench… [Re: SnakeWrangler] #8507373 01/18/22 09:13 PM
pertnear Online Content
"Demolition Man"
Online Content
"Demolition Man"
...Nice set up! Thanks! If you had to do it over what would you do different?

I would have routered a shallow, round bottom groove along the outside edge of the bench about 1/2" inside. Since most presses & attachment mount tight along the edge of the bench you don't want a lip. A groove would catch most small things that have a tendency to roll off the bench. While the swivel lights seem awkward they are the most functional. They can be bent down & around exactly where you need them. Be sure to use LED bulbs are they are too hot to work around in the summer.

"Who controls the past controls the future. Who controls the present controls the past.” - George Orwell
Re: Let’s see your reloading bench… [Re: SnakeWrangler] #8507391 01/18/22 09:40 PM
Ol Thumper Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
My bench on the other side is a disaster from deer season but you get the gist of how it’s set up, I have all the components, powder and equipment in a walk in closet on shelves. [Linked Image]

Re: Let’s see your reloading bench… [Re: SnakeWrangler] #8507467 01/18/22 10:56 PM
B
Buzzsaw Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
B
You will use it a ton if you can add a small window AC unit and electric heater, or a combo unit. Otherwise, you are on the right track FO-SHO.

SPACE FOR RENT

Re: Let’s see your reloading bench… [Re: SnakeWrangler] #8507642 01/19/22 01:58 AM
S
Smokey Bear Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
S
One last suggestion snake. A dedicated cubby for reloading manuals at your fingertips while you are at the bench loading to refer to. Comparing data sets is a good practice for starting new load work ups. Also with you being a new loader, every good manual has a how to section that will explain each step of the loading process with illustrations. That how to section will explain and have the answer to most any questions a new loader will have. Including how to look for and recognize pressure signs. Every loader needs a few good manuals at his bench.

Last edited by Smokey Bear; 01/19/22 01:59 AM.

Smokey Bear---Lone Star State.
Re: Let’s see your reloading bench… [Re: SnakeWrangler] #8508410 01/20/22 12:29 AM
S
SnakeWrangler Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
S
More ideas that I’ve been researching…

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: Let’s see your reloading bench… [Re: SnakeWrangler] #8508665 01/20/22 12:46 PM
GasGuzzler Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
More ideas that I’ve been researching…

Or just use the Lee mounting system that allows quick machine changes.

CLICK HERE

Pass the gravy.

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide