Re: worst part of deer hunting? [Re: stxranchman] #8500380 01/10/22 08:27 PM
BOBO the Clown Online Content
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted by stxranchman
Originally Posted by BOBO the Clown
Originally Posted by Texas Dan
Being setup to run them through quickly, you might be surprised how little some processors charge in addition to normal processing cost to skin and prepare a field-dressed deer. Of course this assumes your processor is not too far away.

$75 to $100 in NTX

X5 is 375-500 a year just in “processing” charges.

Mine charges $125 to process a whitetail deer-$200 for mule deer and $25 to skin. They charge extra for anything else they do ....tenderizing, sausage, etc.

Yelp. Im trying to get us as cold storage facility so I can process beyond qtr. then drop off

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: worst part of deer hunting? [Re: BOBO the Clown] #8500386 01/10/22 08:30 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
Being setup to run them through quickly, you might be surprised how little some processors charge in addition to normal processing cost to skin and prepare a field-dressed deer. Of course this assumes your processor is not too far away.

$75 to $100 in NTX

X5 is 375-500 a year just in “processing” charges.

Mine charges $125 to process a whitetail deer-$200 for mule deer and $25 to skin. They charge extra for anything else they do ....tenderizing, sausage, etc.

Yelp. Im trying to get us as cold storage facility so I can process beyond qtr. then drop off

My processor does not care if it is quartered or boned out they charge the same $125 fee.

Are idiots multiplying faster than normal people?[Linked Image]
Re: worst part of deer hunting? [Re: Hudbone] #8500391 01/10/22 08:34 PM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Ouch

Think mine is:
Skin and Qtr/debone- set charge
Or
Per QTR -deboning set charge

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

Re: worst part of deer hunting? [Re: stxranchman] #8500394 01/10/22 08:39 PM
T
Texas Dan Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Mine charges $125 to process a whitetail deer-$200 for mule deer and $25 to skin.

I have always skinned and cleaned them because like so many things, it was always the way it was done. It wasn't until a friend told me about the field-dressed deer he noticed others were dropping off that I saw the need to inquire on the cost to skin them for processing. One processor even told me they would take them straight from the woods if it wasn't legally required they be field-dressed. Another claimed that packing the body cavity with ice and leaving the skin on until processing helps keep the meat in better condition. Of course I'm sure he wasn't referring to leaving one in that condition for any lengthy period of time.

Last edited by Texas Dan; 01/10/22 08:51 PM.

"Some people will never like you because your spirit irritates their demons."
Re: worst part of deer hunting? [Re: Texas Dan] #8500400 01/10/22 08:46 PM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Mine charges $125 to process a whitetail deer-$200 for mule deer and $25 to skin.

I have always skinned and cleaned them because like so many things, it was always the way it was done. It wasn't until a friend told me about the field-dressed deer he noticed others were dropping off that I saw the need to inquire on the cost to skin them for processing. One processor even told me they would take them straight from the woods if it wasn't legally required they be field-dressed.

Some places won’t take qtr animals. To much hair/dirt/etc.

Re: worst part of deer hunting? [Re: Hudbone] #8500405 01/10/22 08:55 PM
T
Texas Dan Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Could be wrong but the relatively inexpensive skinning option might be a way for processors to increase business in a more competitive (local) market.

"Some people will never like you because your spirit irritates their demons."
Re: worst part of deer hunting? [Re: Hudbone] #8500410 01/10/22 09:00 PM
E
ErnestTBass Offline
Tracker
Tracker
E
Sometimes I entirely process the deer, if I feel like it. Usually means I've got some new sausage recipes I want to make, or maybe there are some particular bone-in cuts I'm looking for. Sometimes I just field dress it and take it to the processor like that. I don't do the work unless I want to do it. Got to figure what your time is worth. Mine is worth more than what a processor charges. If all I have time to do that weekend/week is hunt and drop, then I'm going to hunt and drop. I won't let $100-200 make me resent the hunt.

One thing I don't do - quarter and de-bone then take to a processor - do a lot of work to save basically no money. Rather just field dress it and drop it.

Re: worst part of deer hunting? [Re: Hudbone] #8500420 01/10/22 09:11 PM
E
Exiled Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
E
I find myself getting more fastidious with my venison over time; first it was not wanting it co-mingled with anyone else's meat at the processor. Then it was getting picky about the processors I was using it. Then I starting doing some of my own processing/butchering because I wanted full utilization or just wasn't happy with the quality I was getting back. Now, other than getting sausage processed by a few trusted processors, I do most of the butchering myself. I tend to utilize different cuts and muscle groups that processors (especially during the busy season) don't want to bother with.

I will still drop off an animal at a processor from time to time (especially hogs), but the exotics I like to do myself, carefully, OCD-level cleanliness, from the kill shot to the gutting to the skinning and the quartering.

"Who Dares, Wins"
Instagram: @HCConnected
Re: worst part of deer hunting? [Re: BOBO the Clown] #8500439 01/10/22 09:38 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
Ouch

Think mine is:
Skin and Qtr/debone- set charge
Or
Per QTR -deboning set charge

I am looking for a new processor. Mine in South Texas charged by the pound for quartered or bone meat. If he skinned it was a small fee. His processing was .90/lb quartered or boned. He charged a little to add beef fat to grinds and then extra for any sausage, salami or smoked products.

Re: worst part of deer hunting? [Re: BOBO the Clown] #8500441 01/10/22 09:40 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S

I have always skinned and cleaned them because like so many things, it was always the way it was done. It wasn't until a friend told me about the field-dressed deer he noticed others were dropping off that I saw the need to inquire on the cost to skin them for processing. One processor even told me they would take them straight from the woods if it wasn't legally required they be field-dressed.

Some places won’t take qtr animals. To much hair/dirt/etc.

Some processors won't take a deer that is not skinned. One I used near Industry Texas years ago and they would only take a skinned deer.

Re: worst part of deer hunting? [Re: Hudbone] #8500459 01/10/22 09:59 PM
H
Hudbone Online Content OP
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
H
Amazing to me -

Processing your own is completing the circle.

Cutting up your own means your that which you want and none of what you don’t.

Been cutting up my meat on a cutting board on my P/U while others figure out which way is best to spend money and end up with some of what they don’t want.

Re: worst part of deer hunting? [Re: Hudbone] #8500464 01/10/22 10:04 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
Originally Posted by Hudbone
Amazing to me -

Been cutting up my meat on a cutting board on my P/U while others figure out which way is best to spend money and end up with some of what they don’t want.

I did my own for years when I had the right butchering setup and time. With the work I did since 1989 it was difficult to find time in the day to my own processing. I am slowly building up the right setup, just need a place to set it up again. Growing up and into the early 90's we did our own as a family.

Re: worst part of deer hunting? [Re: Hudbone] #8500740 01/11/22 02:43 AM
H
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
H
If not for the knowledge and equipment shared by my friends, I would not be so fortunate.

Re: worst part of deer hunting? [Re: Hudbone] #8500752 01/11/22 02:53 AM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Amazing to me -

I still do a few a year my self. But there are few speciality products I like made by others. I’ve screwed up more dry ring then I want to admit so I tend to out source that. I do all burger and jerky though.

Re: worst part of deer hunting? [Re: Hudbone] #8500755 01/11/22 02:55 AM
R
rickym Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
R
I don’t mind the deboning, vac sealing and grinding process. I may if I had the opportunity to do more than a couple a year, but 2 at a time isn’t to bad thus far.

Re: worst part of deer hunting? [Re: Hudbone] #8500815 01/11/22 04:00 AM
T
Tactical Cowboy Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
T
I don’t mind killin, cleanin, skinnin, or cuttin deer.

I absolutely hate packaging. For whatever reason in my mind, I figure I’ve done my part after cutting/grinding. Having an extra set of hands to package makes my life a whole lot better.

The secret to a long life is to try not to shorten it.
Re: worst part of deer hunting? [Re: Hudbone] #8501028 01/11/22 02:54 PM
H
Herbie Hancock Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
H
As mentioned above there are a few items the processor I use that does a great job at, so why break something that isn't broken. He charges $40 to debone a deer, then adds on $25 if it's not skinned.

Then I make my own pan sausage, ground meat, and keep a few roasts for new dishes.

Yes, for me the real big slow down and dreadful part of home processing is the packaging. My wife always seems to be too busy when it comes to that part.

Last edited by Herbie Hancock; 01/11/22 03:24 PM.

It takes beer to make thirst worthwhile - J. Fred Schmidt

The internet is an I.Q. Test, people post their scores in the comment section.
Re: worst part of deer hunting? [Re: Hudbone] #8501085 01/11/22 03:44 PM
A
Archer Anthony Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
A
When I have to work on opening day.

Re: worst part of deer hunting? [Re: Herbie Hancock] #8501117 01/11/22 04:16 PM
H
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
H
Originally Posted by Herbie Hancock
As mentioned above there are a few items the processor I use that does a great job at, so why break something that isn't broken. He charges $40 to debone a deer, then adds on $25 if it's not skinned.

Then I make my own pan sausage, ground meat, and keep a few roasts for new dishes.

Yes, for me the real big slow down and dreadful part of home processing is the packaging. My wife always seems to be too busy when it comes to that part.

I used to have the locals do the deboning. There was still so much to "clean up" and trim before making sausage, I just quit doing that,

Re: worst part of deer hunting? [Re: Hudbone] #8501176 01/11/22 05:12 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S

I used to have the locals do the deboning. There was still so much to "clean up" and trim before making sausage, I just quit doing that,

[Linked Image]

Re: worst part of deer hunting? [Re: Hudbone] #8501352 01/11/22 08:34 PM
E
Erich Offline
Tracker
Tracker
E
we cut up our own, usually there's more than one family member in hunting camp at a time and so usually someone is around to drink coffee or beer and help. While we got our hands dirty might as well hope that more than one person connected and cut up a few of them. to me its part of the process, i enjoy the processing almost as much as the hunting. if i just dropped it off somewhere i would feel like i was missing out on something.

Outdoorsman
Re: worst part of deer hunting? [Re: Hudbone] #8501419 01/11/22 10:19 PM
O
Old Smuggler Online Content
Bird Dog
Online Content
Bird Dog
O
FInally processed 1 deer this year after "planning too" for the last several. New grinder and dehydrator and really enjoyed the entire process. Looking to do sausage next. Feel like I am completing the circle.

Re: worst part of deer hunting? [Re: stxranchman] #8501582 01/12/22 01:40 AM
F
freerange Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F

[Linked Image]

I try to be the one on the left but I put so much on my plate that I end up like the one on right.
I won’t say how that works out for me.

At some point in life its time to quit chasing the pot of gold and just enjoy the rainbow. FR
Keep your gratitude higher than your expectations. RWH
Re: worst part of deer hunting? [Re: Hudbone] #8502497 01/13/22 03:03 AM
T
TKandMike Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
T
Those long Sunday drives home

Re: worst part of deer hunting? [Re: TKandMike] #8502499 01/13/22 03:08 AM
J
joedav31 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
J
The worst part of deer hunting is not shooting a 6.5 and getting bullied. .

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide