Print Thread
Property Line App for my Phone? #8499233 01/09/22 04:28 PM
E
EddieWalker Offline OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Offline
Veteran Tracker
E
Is there a GPS App that you can mark two points on your land and create a line between those points so you know where to place your fence?

I have fence posts set at the pins about 2,000 feet apart from each other. I want to build my fence along the first 800 feet of that property line. There is an area that is kind of cliff like and not worth fencing in, so I'll move my fence in a little bit for that area. I was going to run a wire from post to post for a straight line, but I would have to clear several dozen trees from that cliff area, and I really want to keep those trees there so it doesn't erode any more. I also think it would become very ugly if those trees where not there, so it's not going to happen.

Can I use my Android phone, or my wife's Apple phone, to mark those two posts and know where the property line is?

Thank you

Re: Property Line App for my Phone? [Re: EddieWalker] #8499245 01/09/22 04:48 PM
R
redhaze Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
R
The onX app shows property lines and etc.

Re: Property Line App for my Phone? [Re: EddieWalker] #8499277 01/09/22 05:33 PM
Double Naught Spy Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
I use OnX and it is helpful, but far from definitive and the quality of the information varies considerably depending on the quality of information they are able to decipher from the county from whom the records are derived. My property outside Forestburg (Montague County) shows me as being 1 of 3 owners on the property. One of the other owners listed is the 4th owner back and the other owner is the 3rd owner back.

Property lines shown are approximate. I noticed this in both Wichita and Montague Counties. You can be several yards off. In short, OnX is no substitute for a proper survey.

Part of the reason the property lines may be off may be due to errors of original plotting on the map program. OnX shows my property to have a small rectangle of land that extends onto my neighbor's property. The rectangle is part of one tract of the multiple tracts that make of my property, but that portion is not part of my property, as per actual survey.

Also, OnX, like other GPS used in other programs, has a certain amount of error in positioning. It can range from being spot on to being 20 yards off, depending on how many cell towers signals and quality of triangulation. If you have ever sat in place with a GPS and watched your spot drift over time, you will know what I am talking about. When I plot distances for hogs, I have to make sure that the signal has settled before I plot a position. Sometimes I can see where I am standing next to a tree or other notable feature like next to a road and I will know the plot is in error because it shows me 5 yards from the tree our out in the middle of the road.

OnX is good, generally, in a relative sense, but once again, it is no replacement for a proper survey.

Hogdalorian - Si vis pacem cum sus, para bellum.
My Videos https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange
Re: Property Line App for my Phone? [Re: EddieWalker] #8499995 01/10/22 02:22 PM
S
Sewer rat Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
S
Short answer is no it will not work. A property fence needs to be located within inches and the GPS accuracy of a phone is in yards.

What Double Naught said is true but not exactly applicable because it sounds like you have a survey and corners marked. What you need is a straight line between the corner pins marked by the surveyor.

GPS will work ideal for this but not recreational grade GPS. You need survey grade GPS like a Trimble setup running in RTK. With a RTK setup you could measure the pins at each end and then snap a line between them and then go and stakeout the line with accuracy of less than 1/2”. I have done this exact thing for the fences at my place.

Now for the bad news. A RTK setup isn’t easy to use and will cost around 20k. I happen to have seven of them I use for work which is why I used it. Maybe you can find a surveyor to mark it for you? There is really no way to do it with lesser GPS options you are limited to using line of sight or stretching a wire.

I am assuming you are by Tyler? If you were close to me I would go mark it for you.

Re: Property Line App for my Phone? [Re: EddieWalker] #8500015 01/10/22 02:41 PM
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
this but not recreational grade GPS.

Sounds like I was spot on, LOL. The data are potentially suspect and phone apps aren't up to the task

Re: Property Line App for my Phone? [Re: EddieWalker] #8500033 01/10/22 02:54 PM
4Weight Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
OnX.

Re: Property Line App for my Phone? [Re: EddieWalker] #8500079 01/10/22 03:22 PM
E
EddieWalker Offline OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Offline
Veteran Tracker
E
Thank you. This is what I was thinking from reading about the different Apps out there. My neighbor and I are OK with where we think the line is, but it could be off a foot or two. In the grand scheme of things, neither of us are too worried about it, but if I could be more accurate, that would be better. I might call a surveyor to see what they would charge, but I hate spending money when I don't have to, and I have so much that I'm already spending on the fence.

Re: Property Line App for my Phone? [Re: EddieWalker] #8500101 01/10/22 03:44 PM
GNTX Offline
Tracker
Tracker
If it’s a straight line you need and you have 2 correctly positioned survey pins, you could use a decent laser. Using it during low light hours will help with seeing the beam. Once you have it set up properly emitting and receiving between the 2 pins, anywhere you walk along the line that interrupts the beam will be very close.

Re: Property Line App for my Phone? [Re: EddieWalker] #8500112 01/10/22 03:50 PM
C
COFF (TFF) Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
C
Originally Posted by EddieWalker
Thank you. This is what I was thinking from reading about the different Apps out there. My neighbor and I are OK with where we think the line is, but it could be off a foot or two. In the grand scheme of things, neither of us are too worried about it, but if I could be more accurate, that would be better. I might call a surveyor to see what they would charge, but I hate spending money when I don't have to, and I have so much that I'm already spending on the fence.

IMO, probably not the best idea to build a fence based on what seems okay to the two of you right now. When one of you decides to sell the prospective buyer will have a survey done. A fence in the wrong spot could end up costing a lot of money to move, or even stop the deal.

Re: Property Line App for my Phone? [Re: COFF (TFF)] #8500186 01/10/22 04:50 PM
S
Sewer rat Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
S
Originally Posted by COFF (TFF)
Originally Posted by EddieWalker

IMO, probably not the best idea to build a fence based on what seems okay to the two of you right now. When one of you decides to sell the prospective buyer will have a survey done. A fence in the wrong spot could end up costing a lot of money to move, or even stop the deal.

This times 1000. The properties will change hands at some point. Someone will decide to sell, death, divorce, who knows. A fence in the wrong spot will be lots of problems down the road.

As you said building the fence is not cheap. Make sure you are building it in the right place so you don’t have to do it twice.

If you are confident the pins are correct you can likely save a lot of money on the surveying. See a property boundary survey cost a lot. They have to research the surround properties and markers and tie everything together and then stamp their name on it that it is correct . However if you call a surveyor and tell them I am building a fence between two know points and I can’t see between them and just want a straight line marked between these two points that will be much cheaper. If I was close I would do the 800’ for free. A surveyor would probably charge a few hundred but it is money well spent.

Re: Property Line App for my Phone? [Re: Double Naught Spy] #8500189 01/10/22 04:52 PM
S
Sewer rat Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
S
Originally Posted by Double Naught Spy
this but not recreational grade GPS.

Sounds like I was spot on, LOL. The data are potentially suspect and phone apps aren't up to the task

You are right but what I was saying is he wasn’t wanting to use the boundary lines shown on an app like OnX or something like that. He was wanting to measure two points and stakeout a straight line between them.

Re: Property Line App for my Phone? [Re: GNTX] #8500565 01/10/22 11:31 PM
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted by GNTX
If it’s a straight line you need and you have 2 correctly positioned survey pins, you could use a decent laser. Using it during low light hours will help with seeing the beam. Once you have it set up properly emitting and receiving between the 2 pins, anywhere you walk along the line that interrupts the beam will be very close.

Unfortunately, you can't have it set up sending and receiving between two pins if there are obstructions in the way (trees were stated) such that he can't even run a wire.

Re: Property Line App for my Phone? [Re: EddieWalker] #8501422 01/11/22 10:21 PM
E
EddieWalker Offline OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Offline
Veteran Tracker
E
I'll give the surveyor a call and see what he says. If it's a few hundred bucks, I'll have him mark the line from pin to pin. It's wide open on my neighbors side, but there are some trees on the property line, and the cliff drops down on my side, but I can drive my wife's mini van along the open side and not worry about damaging anything.

Thank you

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide