Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Hornady Interlock bullets [Re: redchevy] #8487612 12/27/21 05:06 AM
W
WileyCoyote Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
W
FWIW, All I can say is READ the newspaper article for yourself, as I did not word for word post the article's high or low points, just the more interesting aspects of what happened to this young man and what the outcome was, with only a couple pictures for authenticity.
I do know that the Outdoor Writer, Matt Williams the author of the Dallas Morning News Paper's article is also a member of a Newspaper Writer's Association or Guild and is published in more than a few Newspapers around the state, as well as in some national slick paper outdoor magazines with some national distribution too. Matt is not hard to find if you want to talk to him and challenge the facts of his story.
Ron

Last edited by WileyCoyote; 12/27/21 05:42 AM. Reason: clarity

It is TIME for Term Limits, cause Politicians are like childrens diapers and for the same reasons...Robin Williams

"These are the times that try men's soul's"...Thomas Paine

"Those who fail to learn from History are doomed to repeat it" ....Santayana
Re: Hornady Interlock bullets [Re: redchevy] #8488514 12/28/21 12:36 PM
71Rcode Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
We have taken 3 deer in my family with 200gr 35 Rem Hornady Interlock bullets. 2 deer were at a 100 yds and 1 under 50. 2 broadside neck shots were pass throughs with impressive expanded exit wounds. The largest deer was taken head on with a neck shot bullet not recovered. All 3 rounds were made in the same batch with the same powder charge (approximately 2000 FPS at muzzle). All 3 deer dropped on the spot and expired immediately without taking a step. Very impressed with the Interlocks.

NRA Life Member & GOA Member
Always interested in Marlins. Let me know what you have for sale!
Re: Hornady Interlock bullets [Re: redchevy] #8488974 12/28/21 10:24 PM
R
redchevy Online Content OP
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
R
Wife is behind the trigger this evening but it’s hunting again hope to see how it does again.

The 2000 FPS and less doesn’t surprise me they do ok.

It's hell eatin em live
Re: Hornady Interlock bullets [Re: jrg_80] #8489394 12/29/21 05:00 AM
T
txtrophy85 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by jrg_80
My 1st and only experience with this bullet was a couple of weeks ago. Made my maiden voyage with my 7-08 and 139gr. First deer was 165yds and 2nd was 85yds. Both were behind the shoulder shot(for bullet research purposes), both got pass thru, both were found less than 30yds from POI, both had zero blood trail associated with the. This and the size of the exit hole were less than desirable and a bit concerning for me.

*Disclaimer before I get raked over the coals*
- shooter(me) did my part in shot placement
- bullet did its job(obviously) and killed
.but in the event of a less than ideally shot placement a wound channel and a greater exit hole would/could greatly increase the opportunity to track the animal resulting in a recovery. Can’t track(blood) what’s not there is my point and concern.

jrg

If you got a pass thru than it’s of no fault of the bullet.

I’ve shot two small hill country whitetails broadside at 15 yards with a 3 blade broadhead, one a rage and the other a jackhammer. Arrow zipped right on thru and both deer didn’t make it 50 yards, but neither one left any blood. Monster entrance and exit holes too.

Some deer just don’t bleed, and that’s fact. Others you could give them a paper cut and they will leak like a faucet.

For it is not the quarry that we truly seek, but the adventure.
Re: Hornady Interlock bullets [Re: redchevy] #8491133 12/31/21 01:46 AM
R
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
R
Wife shot a doe the other day, entered a little in front oth the onside shoulder and exited front part of off side shoulder. She flipped around a few summersaults o the ground blood bath on the ground and a baseball sized exit. Looks like slowing them down made a difference.

Last edited by redchevy; 12/31/21 01:55 AM.

It's hell eatin em live
Re: Hornady Interlock bullets [Re: redchevy] #8499443 01/09/22 09:18 PM
W
WileyCoyote Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
W
RC..As I recall Norma was the mfg'er of all the Weatherby ammo for a very long time, according to my old friend and now long departed Dudly Grounds. Dud had repped Weatherby for 22 years until Roy died, and a week later Ed fired him when a name I will not ID flew out to California during a SHOT Show ( in New Orleans that year) to ask for the line. Couple years later the new guy dropped Weatherby too in order to not have a conflict with another rifle/shotgun line as the national independent sales representation is what I heard. The continual Back stabbing and under the table payoff & other stuff was my experience in the firearms Industry is the reason I did not take the offers I was given after the Sodini Family who had run Stoeger for who knows how long got fired by Nokia - who owned SAKO - with almost no notice & I was laid off after repping SAKO & LLama for 6 years and had record sales ... then the replacement new guy, a just retired Army Colonel got fired in a couple years and last I heard was running a low end bargain grade shotgun mfg'ing plant on the Texas border. What goes around goes around eventually for everybody in the firearms industry was my experience, and I had 2 kids almost in college and bills to pay.

The Sodini family is who engineered the aquisition of all Walther equipment and tooling in Europe and had it shipped and rebuilt in Argentina, and re named the little 380 Pistol as a Bersa. Even though I had already found another job out side the firearms Industry. As a favor to the Sodini family I went to Denver for a week+ at a nice 4 figure daily rate & all expenses paid, I ran the Bersa Booth at the last Denver Wholesale Show, where I was offered another very very prominent pistol line in 5 states on straight commission of shipped inventory, at the recommendation of one of the largest S&W distributors in the US. The new guy's pistol line owner's were building a new plant at the time in Atlanta with no date certain to be in full production, but had almost no ready inventory available from the parent plant in Europe to deliver if you sold something. Hard to keep the family's household bank account fluid like that, working on a straight commission basis.

I gave Dud the info about the new line and he made a living with it for a while until nat'l sales overcame mfg'ing ie no inventory to ship more often than not as expected ...and really bigtime hard to establish a good reliable reputation for the product's availability.
Ron

It is TIME for Term Limits, cause Politicians are like childrens diapers and for the same reasons...Robin Williams

"These are the times that try men's soul's"...Thomas Paine

"Those who fail to learn from History are doomed to repeat it" ....Santayana
Re: Hornady Interlock bullets [Re: redchevy] #8499535 01/09/22 11:07 PM
603Country Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Well, back to Interlock bullets for a mo…the neighbor has acquired some 130 gr Interlocks for his 6.5 CM. His Savage is rather short barreled, and won’t be pushing the bullets very fast. I suppose they’ll work fine?

Not my monkeys, not my circus...
Re: Hornady Interlock bullets [Re: redchevy] #8555724 03/14/22 12:24 AM
R
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
R
I’m sure some of you don’t care but I shot em and I dug them out. I finished off the 220 round nose and happened on some 212 ELDX blems at midway for a decent price. Shot my load development today into the ole igloo. Settled on 53.5 grains of IMR 4350 for 2603 FPS avg.

240 FPS faster than the 220 RN. Of the 9 I recovered 1 shed the core the others were intact. I definitely think moving the interlock ring to the midpoint of the bullet was a good move.

It's hell eatin em live
Re: Hornady Interlock bullets [Re: redchevy] #8555787 03/14/22 01:27 AM
R
rickt300 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
R
I have used a bunch of Hornady Spire points on game. 130 and 150 grain .277 and 150 and 180 gr. 30 caliber. Seemed they were softer than the Speer Hotcor bullets of equal weight but they also seemed to cause better blood trails when they exited. The inner grrove feature seemed to put several little knife blades to work. At any rate they killed well just as the Sierra Gamekings have for me.

Re: Hornady Interlock bullets [Re: redchevy] #8556690 03/15/22 06:50 AM
B
blkt2 Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
B
Hunting bullets are designed to kill things and not to pass improvised ballistic test. A hunting bullet fragmenting as it penetrates deeply in an animal is not a bullet failure. Shedding the jacket with a cup and core bullet is neither unexpected or unusual. The Interlock bullet is a good quality bullet that is cheap. All bullets must be used within their design parameters for good results; ie don't use this bullet at magnum velocities against close targets without expecting a chance of bullet blowup and poor penetration.

Trolling? Heck no, I meant every word of it.
Re: Hornady Interlock bullets [Re: blkt2] #8558746 03/18/22 12:17 AM
R
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
R
Originally Posted by blkt2
Hunting bullets are designed to kill things and not to pass improvised ballistic test. A hunting bullet fragmenting as it penetrates deeply in an animal is not a bullet failure. Shedding the jacket with a cup and core bullet is neither unexpected or unusual. The Interlock bullet is a good quality bullet that is cheap. All bullets must be used within their design parameters for good results; ie don't use this bullet at magnum velocities against close targets without expecting a chance of bullet blowup and poor penetration.

You can have mine.

It's hell eatin em live
Re: Hornady Interlock bullets [Re: redchevy] #8559168 03/18/22 02:12 PM
B
blkt2 Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
B
Originally Posted by redchevy
Originally Posted by blkt2

You can have mine.

I have plenty already.

Of the cartridges you listed only the 300wby is a bit past what the Interlock is good for if you are taking close shots. For the big 30 cartridges I always loved the 208gr A-Max for long range hunting of critters of all sizes.

Once again I must reiterate that hunting bullets are designed to kill things and are not designed to look good after they do their job. It is a pretty safe bet to say that more game of any type has been taken with Hornady Interlocks then all of the more modern bonded bullets from any manufacturer combined.

Re: Hornady Interlock bullets [Re: redchevy] #8559381 03/18/22 06:12 PM
R
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
R
You can reiterate what you want how you want but I’m gonna keep my opinion. I’ve hunted and killed plenty enough critters to make up my own mind of what I want in a bullet. I’m fine with expansion and loss of weight etc of the bullet but I still want 2 holes.

It's hell eatin em live
Re: Hornady Interlock bullets [Re: redchevy] #8559853 03/19/22 05:47 AM
B
blkt2 Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
B
You can reiterate what you want how you want but I’m gonna keep my opinion. I’ve hunted and killed plenty enough critters to make up my own mind of what I want in a bullet. I’m fine with expansion and loss of weight etc of the bullet but I still want 2 holes.

I used to think the exact same way until I had to shoot a whitetail 3 times with a 300 Win Mag and an accubond bullet. I thought that I missed with the first shot since the buck didn't do anything except raise his head. All 3 shots were a through and through with very little tissue damage. Had I hit bone it would have been a different story but in this case he just walked away like nothing happened and then ran like hell when he spotted me. A friend suggested that I use a more frangible bullet so I tried a 178gr A-Max and I have never even seen a white tail not drop in his tracks from that bullet much less regain his feet and run off after a hit from one. After that I learned to match my bullets construction to the construction of the animal I was hoping to shoot with that bullet. The exception that works nearly accross the board is the Partition.

By all means keep doing what works for you. I only post to share my experiences with people who share a common interest.

Re: Hornady Interlock bullets [Re: redchevy] #8559867 03/19/22 10:33 AM
onlysmith&wesson Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter

I used to be in the same camp, a long time ago. Ask yourself why you want an exit wound. I think the answer would be so you can kill what you're shooting at, and find it. That's the same reason I don't necessarily want an exit wound. I want an animal to fold up right where it was when I shot it. For me, that happens without an exit wound. There's a lot of good reading out there on Terminal Performance, how to kill an animal. A proper wound channel in the right place dumps them on the spot. Growing up I was taught to double lung deer, "they won't go far" is what my Dad would tell me. That worked, most of the time. The first time I unintentionally hit one high shoulder, the bullet didn't exit and he folded up like a lawn chair, I had to learn exactly what happened. A nasty wound channel that took out CNS and circulatory system at the same time is what it was.

"By all means keep doing what works for you. I only post to share my experiences with people who share a common interest." Good words, blkt2.

An unethical shot is one you take, that you know you shouldn't.
Re: Hornady Interlock bullets [Re: redchevy] #8560277 03/20/22 12:40 AM
R
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
R
I’m not advocating shooting solids or mono metal bullets. Just seems to me the old interlock is a little too soft for my liking. Been killing deer for a long time with other similar cup and core bullets that consistently just do better. Like eldx core locks Sierra game kings and pro hunters and Speer.

It's hell eatin em live
Re: Hornady Interlock bullets [Re: redchevy] #8560503 03/20/22 01:34 PM
D
Deans Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
D
Only experience with the Hornady's was when I had a 35 Whelan. It shot the 250 gr spire point very well and put many whitetails in the freezer. All fell in their tracks, 35 caliber hole going in with big exit.

“Fear thou not; for I am with thee: be not dismayed; for I am thy God: I will strengthen thee; yea, I will help thee; yea, I will uphold thee with the right hand of my righteousness.”
ISAIAH 41:10
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide