Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Staying Warm While Hunting #8498964 01/09/22 03:48 AM
D
DQ Kid Online Content OP
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
D
Besides the obvious, good thermals, pants, jacket, layering clothing, hood socks, boots, gloves, beanie, handwarmers, footwarmers, etc. what do you do additionally to stay warm? Other than my feet and fingers, I am pretty comfortable in enclosed box blinds and my tripods until about 40 degrees assuming low winds. When temps are in lower 30s or colder and especially with some wind, I tend to struggle body temperature wise. I've not much used propane heaters in past but purchased a Little Buddy today as well as some covered tripod enclosures and intend on using both next season. What kind of THF advisement or secrets can you all shed on this?

Re: Staying Warm While Hunting [Re: DQ Kid] #8499005 01/09/22 05:37 AM
B
Brother Phil Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
B
When it is cold, I wear a face mask, with a wool type hat over it. I have used a hard had liner for face protection, and it worked well. For my feet, I wear socks, then heavy socks, then a insulated rubber boot. The key to the boot is that it is not tight. I find insulated pants really help. Quality warm gloves/mittens are a must. If you are in the wind, a jacket with a hood really helps. Having plenty of food, snacks, and water are important. If the cold really gets to me, I will go for a short walk, to warm up. I have a buddy heater, but have never tried it while hunting.

Re: Staying Warm While Hunting [Re: DQ Kid] #8499021 01/09/22 06:20 AM
D
DocHorton Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
D
I've found a good, warm neck gaiter makes a pretty big difference for me. If really cold I'll pull it up over my face and ears, and with a beanie only my eyes and nose are exposed.

For bottoms I'll use thermals, insulated pants, and coveralls. For tops I'll use thermals, long sleeve fleece button up, pullover, vest, and coat. Wool socks and nice neoprene insulated boots. If my ears are cold sometimes I'll wear two beanies. For my hands I'll wear liner gloves, then thicker gloves over the top...but my hands don't get cold very often.

It's a pretty rare occasion for me to use a heater in the blind. I've also noticed that if I am sitting and my knees are bent for a while my feet will get colder...I try to stretch my legs out and that seems to help, my guess is because of circulation.

Re: Staying Warm While Hunting [Re: DQ Kid] #8499030 01/09/22 06:42 AM
K
kkfish Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
K
Not much u can do other than what u stated. Hand warmers save me cause I don’t wear gloves but for whatever reason my feet are a lost cause but hands being warm works to stick it out. I think it’s a circulation thing while sitting that causes most of it. Walk around and cold feet are gone sit and feet a block of ice.

Re: Staying Warm While Hunting [Re: DQ Kid] #8499035 01/09/22 07:18 AM
S
Sewer rat Online Content
Pro Tracker
Online Content
Pro Tracker
S
I think I got too cold when I was younger and I can’t stand the cold anymore. I guided goose hunts in the panhandle and Canada in my twenties and I never wore gloves because I was always calling. Countless times I was laying on the ground in temps in the single digits or teens for hours with no gloves. Now if it is in the lower 30s or colder my hands start hurting bad after just a few minutes. I can’t stand it. I have little buddies in all my blinds and if I am in there and it is cold they are on. They work great. I think I would be comfortable in my blind in shorts and a t shirt in 20 degree weather with the little buddy cranked up.

Re: Staying Warm While Hunting [Re: DQ Kid] #8499037 01/09/22 08:45 AM
D
Dzhitshard Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
D

[Linked Image]

DQ kid ya say?

Well the secret to staying warm is simple. Chocolate dipped vanilla, one lick at a time. Ya need that fuel burning to keep ya warm. Guaranteed: I stand by it

Re: Staying Warm While Hunting [Re: DQ Kid] #8499038 01/09/22 09:28 AM
Sniper John Online Happy
gumshoe
Online Happy
gumshoe
It's normal as you get older due to a decrease in circulation. My problem with cold hands and feet is due to a Beta Blocker I take which reduces or slows circulation to them. I found out the hard way that it also makes me more susceptible to frost bite. Goose hunting in Kansas I was cutting a hole in a frozen lake for goose decoys during a -6 degree morning and took my gloves and hood off for maybe 5 minutes. Later found I had frostbite on the very tips of some fingers and tip of my nose. So know that if your on blood pressure meds, some of those meds can be the cause if you have unusually cold feet and hands. And can cause real problems in extreme cold.

Something I do that really helps with not getting cold in the stand is to not just layer my clothing, but not put all the layers on until I am in the stand or blind. I will roll my jacket and extra layers up and strap them on the back of my pack or carried under my arm when walking to the stand. Same for duck hunting. If it's really cold I don't put the waders and parka on until at the hunting spot. If I get lazy and don't do this, I always end up getting hot and sweaty during the walk in, then later I end up getting much colder because of it. For feet when it is real cold, I will use liner socks under wool socks to wick the moisture off my feet. Hand warmers in my pockets for my hands. And with my enclosed tower blind I have been known to drop off a blanket or sleeping back in it on a hunting trip to have to cover up with during hunts if I get cold.

Re: Staying Warm While Hunting [Re: DQ Kid] #8499071 01/09/22 12:47 PM
D
don k Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
My truck has a good heater and it makes as good a blind as anything else.

Re: Staying Warm While Hunting [Re: DQ Kid] #8499090 01/09/22 01:24 PM
Superduty Online Content
"The Regulator"
Online Content
"The Regulator"
I buy Filson Mackinaw wool and also use tin cloth as a top layer. Have not been cold yet.

'It's Only Treason if You Lose."
Re: Staying Warm While Hunting [Re: DQ Kid] #8499093 01/09/22 01:35 PM
C
Catperch Online Content
Tracker
Online Content
Tracker
C
I'm usually good till about 30 degrees, but I don't have any high dollar clothes. My problem is sweating on my mile walk to my stands and then then getting cold. So I've started carrying a backpack with my warm clothes in them and putting them on when I get to the stand.

Re: Staying Warm While Hunting [Re: Superduty] #8499103 01/09/22 01:57 PM
H
Hudbone Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
H
Originally Posted by Superduty
I buy Filson Mackinaw wool and also use tin cloth as a top layer. Have not been cold yet.

I had no doubt. That's some good stuff.

I take to the cold quite well, but the big ones for me are:

Doc spoke of neck gaiters and that there is a bing, bing, bing. Strong help to keep your core warm.

I prefer overalls over full body suits. More easily facilitates layering. Doesn't need to be heavily insulated ones, just a 2nd or potentially 3rd layer.

Merino wool socks - one pair.

Insulated hat - ask Bobo.

Re: Staying Warm While Hunting [Re: DQ Kid] #8499113 01/09/22 02:16 PM
Q
QMC SW/EXW Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
Q
A trick we used to use in CO when I was growing up is to take an aspirin an hour or two before you head out. Aspirin thins the blood a little and allows it to flow into you fingers and toes easier which helps you stay warm. Not everyone can do this due to some medical issues but if you can it really helps. Many people wear a lot of layers which can be good but they wear them too tight. Having the layers a little looser allows an air pocket to form around you and after your body heats up the air that really helps you stay warm. This is especially true when it comes to boots. Tight fitting boots will make your feet cold and it doesn't matter how much insulation is in them if they are too tight. A good hat and a baclava really helps as well. For gloves I actually use a mitten type with a slit that I can put my fingers through to shoot. Mittens allow all your fingers to be next to each other and your hands will stay warmer.

If you have to walk any distance take off most of your outer layers and pack them in a day pack. Your body heats up as you walk and you will sweat. This makes you damp and that will really make you cold. Walk in to where you want to be and still still about 10 min to allow the sweat to disperse and then put on your outer layers. You want to be comfortably cool as you walk, then get a little chilled before putting on the outer layer and then warm up. It sounds crazy but it works.

Retired Navy Chief
NJROTC Instructor for Tascosa High School
Re: Staying Warm While Hunting [Re: DQ Kid] #8499118 01/09/22 02:21 PM
F
freerange Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F
DQ you’ve had good threads lately(maybe always and I haven’t noticed.) Descriptive titles which I really like. This thread I’m looking forward to cause I get cold easily. I’m sure some will chime in on mountain states hunting when there’s lots of walking and then stopping and that’s a whole different ballgame on staying warm. I’m more curious on basic sitting still hunting. Right now I’m hunting(40 and 20mph wind) but I’ll comment later. For now one quick tip on those air activated hand warmers which I love. If you haven’t used them up you can put them in airtight zip lock baggie after use and reuse. They can stay days like that.

At some point in life its time to quit chasing the pot of gold and just enjoy the rainbow. FR
Keep your gratitude higher than your expectations. RWH
Re: Staying Warm While Hunting [Re: DQ Kid] #8499134 01/09/22 02:51 PM
M
mikei Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
M
When I was doing a lot of scuba diving I learned that a person loses the most heat through their heads. There's little, if any naturel insulation up there, so wearing really good, well insulated head gear will really help keep you warm.

Re: Staying Warm While Hunting [Re: DQ Kid] #8499157 01/09/22 03:17 PM
H
HogBranch Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
H
You can use anti perspiration spray on your feet to help keep them from getting damp when you walk in.

Re: Staying Warm While Hunting [Re: Sniper John] #8499199 01/09/22 03:52 PM
O
Old Rabbit Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
O
Originally Posted by Sniper John
It's normal as you get older due to a decrease in circulation. My problem with cold hands and feet is due to a Beta Blocker I take which reduces or slows circulation to them. I found out the hard way that it also makes me more susceptible to frost bite. Goose hunting in Kansas I was cutting a hole in a frozen lake for goose decoys during a -6 degree morning and took my gloves and hood off for maybe 5 minutes. Later found I had frostbite on the very tips of some fingers and tip of my nose. So know that if your on blood pressure meds, some of those meds can be the cause if you have unusually cold feet and hands. And can cause real problems in extreme cold.

Sniper, thanks for posting this. I was wondering why I can't take the cold like I used to and never thought about the Beta Blocker that I am taking. My hands have always been on the cold side, but now that I am in my mid 60's, they seem to be worse.
I have started using Hot Hands inside my gloves, placed on the top side between the wrist and fingers. I open them up on the drive from the house to where we hunt, to let them get good and warm.They take awhile to heat up inside the gloves. My hands stay nice and warm now.

Re: Staying Warm While Hunting [Re: DQ Kid] #8499203 01/09/22 03:55 PM
4Weight Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
There are two main things I have to have in my deer blind when temps dip into the 40's and less. First of all, if my neck and ears are warm, I stay warm. Secondly even with base layer if my legs stay warm I am good. I have to have a fleece neck gaiter to cover my neck and up over my ears. Secondly, I always have my 5 dollar fleece blanket to put across my legs. That keeps me toasty for long sits. I also have a fleece neck gaiter in my duck blind bag too. On the gaiters, I like the ones from Drake Waterfowl the best and they have the most comfortable fit.

Re: Staying Warm While Hunting [Re: DQ Kid] #8499206 01/09/22 03:57 PM
GNTX Offline
Tracker
Tracker
A trick to keeping fingertips warm I got from my motorcycle buddies is to put bits of cotton balls in the tips of your gloves. It does help a bit.

Re: Staying Warm While Hunting [Re: DQ Kid] #8499209 01/09/22 04:01 PM
Sidebuster Online Content
Tracker
Online Content
Tracker
When it's cold, I never hunt without my buddy heater.

Re: Staying Warm While Hunting [Re: DQ Kid] #8499234 01/09/22 04:30 PM
Q
QuitShootinYoungBucks Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Q
If under 40 and windy, I go light base layer, heavy base layer, and then pant/shirt. I have a heavy insulated coat over that. On my head I wear a light balaclava that is not wind-permeable, covered by an insulated ski mask and then jacket hood over that. With heavy gloves, I am good in a tripod for three-ish hours down to about 25 degrees, even colder if the wind lays. Heavy wool socks and Irish Setter heavy insulated hunting boots.

[Linked Image]

https://web.archive.org/web/20170223065011/http:/www.rrdvegas.com/silencer-cleaning.html
Re: Staying Warm While Hunting [Re: DQ Kid] #8499244 01/09/22 04:48 PM
W
Wytex Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
W
I'm sorry, 30 is cold ?

We don't sit in blinds so wind blocking layers are a must with merino wool underlayers. A good hat is also a must , cold head / cold body.

Re: Staying Warm While Hunting [Re: DQ Kid] #8499250 01/09/22 04:53 PM
F
freerange Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F
I’ve got lots to comment on all this but just a few at a time. I’m similar to Quit on most of what he said. For head on cold windy days when I’m exposed I have a thinish and snug neck gaiter I guess you call it. I turn it up from the back to pull it over my head and my neck and head is completely covered except eyes mouth. Then my 30 year old insulated cap with ear flaps over that. Then a somewhat stretched out ski mask fits over cap and all. Then of course hood from jacket. My exposed nose mouth still gets cold and I’m contemplating some type face shield like some wear for covid.
Some things I do seem like a lot to others but when you hunt from daylight to dark outside a blind and never move it changes everything. No matter how warm for a few hours, if cold can creep in anywhere it will eventually permeate to the core and become unbearable(to me).

At some point in life its time to quit chasing the pot of gold and just enjoy the rainbow. FR
Keep your gratitude higher than your expectations. RWH
Re: Staying Warm While Hunting [Re: DQ Kid] #8499258 01/09/22 05:05 PM
B
Bowhunter 64 Online Content
Woodsman
Online Content
Woodsman
B
Very good topic DQ. Seems in Texas there are more warm hunts than cold , but when it gets cold and humid can make a hunt miserable. Since I have got older I went to a box blind and can bow hunt and rifle hunt from it . This has made a huge difference on staying warm. If I am bow hunting I don’t use a heater but will when rifle hunting if it gets real cold . Loose clothing does seem to work better for me as well. Nothing worse on a hunt then getting too cold.

Re: Staying Warm While Hunting [Re: Old Rabbit] #8499267 01/09/22 05:15 PM
Sniper John Online Happy
gumshoe
Online Happy
gumshoe
Originally Posted by Old Rabbit
Originally Posted by Sniper John

Sniper, thanks for posting this. I was wondering why I can't take the cold like I used to and never thought about the Beta Blocker that I am taking. My hands have always been on the cold side, but now that I am in my mid 60's, they seem to be worse.
I have started using Hot Hands inside my gloves, placed on the top side between the wrist and fingers. I open them up on the drive from the house to where we hunt, to let them get good and warm.They take awhile to heat up inside the gloves. My hands stay nice and warm now.

Note, Beta and Calcium Blockers will also cause some problems in the heat. It gave me hell as a firefighter wearing turnout gear while firefighting and I had to make some med adjustments to get around it during my last couple years before I retired. It made my performance look awesome on those treadmill tests though.

Re: Staying Warm While Hunting [Re: HogBranch] #8499273 01/09/22 05:23 PM
Sniper John Online Happy
gumshoe
Online Happy
gumshoe
Originally Posted by HogBranch
You can use anti perspiration spray on your feet to help keep them from getting damp when you walk in.

That's a good idea. I never thought of that before. On extended hunts in the cold, I have carried extra socks with me so I can change them out when my feet get damp and cold.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide