Print Thread
Good news;; bad news #8493852 01/03/22 02:42 PM
M
mikei Online Content OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
M
The good news is that for Christmas this year, my children and grandchildren pooled their resources and bought me my first thermal scope. The bad news is that is an ATN ThOR-4 384 1.25-5X 19mm Thermal Smart HD. I don't know how to break the news to them that the ATN product line has a miserable reputation for both performance and customer support. Having mulled it over for the last week or so, I've decided not to even say anything to them but "Thanks a bunch." It was a generous gift from family members that don't exactly eat "high on the hog," so I'm going do everything I can to make it work for me. They are already asking me if I've taken it hunting yet. The reality is that I haven't even taken it out of the original box, since my first thought was to return it, unopened, and buy another thermal instead. But I've talked myself out of that approach. Kind of a dilemma, but we shall see what we shall see. I tried to find some good reviews, but haven't had much luck doing so.

Last edited by mikei; 01/03/22 02:43 PM.
Re: Good news;; bad news [Re: mikei] #8493864 01/03/22 02:48 PM
B
Biscuit Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
B
I agree with you, thank them for the gift and enjoy it

Re: Good news;; bad news [Re: mikei] #8493897 01/03/22 03:10 PM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
I'd go with your original plan. Return it and get a different thermal. They didn't know what they didn't know. Their resources would still be put to good use.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Precision Rifle Instruction
Memberships and Classes Available
Re: Good news;; bad news [Re: mikei] #8493902 01/03/22 03:17 PM
603Country Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Tell them you just found out there was a recall on those units, so you swapped it rather than deal with the recall.

Not my monkeys, not my circus...
Re: Good news;; bad news [Re: mikei] #8493904 01/03/22 03:18 PM
Q
QuitShootinYoungBucks Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Q
If they haven’t seen it out of the box, they won’t know the difference when they see it on the rifle. I’d exchange it.

[Linked Image]

https://web.archive.org/web/20170223065011/http:/www.rrdvegas.com/silencer-cleaning.html
Re: Good news;; bad news [Re: mikei] #8493942 01/03/22 04:05 PM
D
der Teufel Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
D
I think I'd return it and get something I wanted.
I'd tell the kids that it was the perfect gift, but "There was this slightly different model that had the exact features I wanted."
Then I'd say something like "Your gift gave me the ability and motivation to get into hunting with a thermal sight, many many thanks!"
Finally, I'd send them some photos of dead hogs shot using said thermal, and again say "Thanks!"

I have two unwritten rules:
Re: Good news;; bad news [Re: mikei] #8493965 01/03/22 04:27 PM
W
wp75169 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
W
I’d take the gift as is and use it. Someone, at least one of them, put a lot of thought into that gift and they know it’s not superior but it’s what the group could afford. It’s like the cheap Simmons spotting scope my elderly parents gave me, it sure is a pos but I appreciate it. Family is worth more than money everyday and if you can afford a better thermal go buy it and put it on a different rifle than the one you new fancy ATN is mounted on. 😂

Re: Good news;; bad news [Re: mikei] #8493980 01/03/22 04:51 PM
T
Theringworm Online Content
Pro Tracker
Online Content
Pro Tracker
T
Will they be more heart broken over the fact that their hard earned pooled resources bought something that is soon to be inoperable or malfunction and nothing more than a paperweight? So now you are disappointed you can’t use it and they are even more disappointed you can’t use it.

Return it and get a quality thermal. If that means you tell them the truth of don’t, who cares. At least you’ll have a reliable thermal that can be enjoyed for years to come and they get the joy out of knowing you are using it.

Re: Good news;; bad news [Re: wp75169] #8494088 01/03/22 06:49 PM
D
Dzhitshard Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
D
Originally Posted by wp75169
I’d take the gift as is and use it. Someone, at least one of them, put a lot of thought into that gift and they know it’s not superior but it’s what the group could afford. It’s like the cheap Simmons spotting scope my elderly parents gave me, it sure is a pos but I appreciate it. Family is worth more than money everyday and if you can afford a better thermal go buy it and put it on a different rifle than the one you new fancy ATN is mounted on. 😂

100%

I wouldn’t t spend my $$ on one but if I didn’t already have a thermal I wouldnt not use the one that people put thought and sacrifice into giving me.

If you love doing the night ride thing you always have the option of adding another to the stable you feel that you may like better. Then you can bring one of your considerate family members along and share your joy that they enabled

Re: Good news;; bad news [Re: mikei] #8494096 01/03/22 06:53 PM
JimBridger Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
I definitely would exchange it for the scope you really want. Their thoughtful gift will not be wasted instead it has given you the opportunity to get the scope that you truly wanted.

Last edited by Pappybear; 01/03/22 06:55 PM.

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. Edmund Burke
Re: Good news;; bad news [Re: mikei] #8494103 01/03/22 07:01 PM
cbump Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
I’m with the use what was given to you crowd and buy a second if you want another.

Re: Good news;; bad news [Re: Theringworm] #8494112 01/03/22 07:07 PM
U
unclebubba Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
U
Originally Posted by Theringworm
Will they be more heart broken over the fact that their hard earned pooled resources bought something that is soon to be inoperable or malfunction and nothing more than a paperweight? So now you are disappointed you can’t use it and they are even more disappointed you can’t use it.

Return it and get a quality thermal. If that means you tell them the truth of don’t, who cares. At least you’ll have a reliable thermal that can be enjoyed for years to come and they get the joy out of knowing you are using it.

Mike, I think this bears a lot of weight. If the ATN had bad reviews, but was still usable, then maybe you should keep it. Unfortunately, the ATN has horribly bad reviews and you will likely have something that will be nothing more than a paperweight come next Christmas.
Tell them the truth. They are grown adults and can handle it. Tell them you took the $ from the return and got a really good scope that you otherwise would not have ponied up for, and that you very much appreciate it. I think you will all end up happier in the long run.

Re: Good news;; bad news [Re: unclebubba] #8494172 01/03/22 08:25 PM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by unclebubba
Originally Posted by Theringworm

Mike, I think this bears a lot of weight. If the ATN had bad reviews, but was still usable, then maybe you should keep it. Unfortunately, the ATN has horribly bad reviews and you will likely have something that will be nothing more than a paperweight come next Christmas.
Tell them the truth. They are grown adults and can handle it. Tell them you took the $ from the return and got a really good scope that you otherwise would not have ponied up for, and that you very much appreciate it. I think you will all end up happier in the long run.

^^Agree with both.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Precision Rifle Instruction
Memberships and Classes Available
Re: Good news;; bad news [Re: mikei] #8494179 01/03/22 08:46 PM
T
TAB Online Content
Pro Tracker
Online Content
Pro Tracker
T
Having owned an ATN product, in all sencerity I’d return that thing and buy anything other than anything made by ATN.
I was burned by having bought a scope and it crashing about one day past the receipt only to basically torch a thousand dollars..

Go with your gut

Re: Good news;; bad news [Re: mikei] #8494253 01/03/22 10:19 PM
S
Smokey Bear Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
S
It is all good news and a heck off thoughtful gesture by your family. I would thank everyone for their thoughtfulness. Then I would swap it for the one I want and not say a word.

Smokey Bear---Lone Star State.
Re: Good news;; bad news [Re: mikei] #8494375 01/04/22 12:15 AM
M
mikei Online Content OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
M
Thanks, everyone, for all your thoughts and suggestions. I agree with all of them to a certain extent, now I need to man up, get off the fence, and make a decision!

Last edited by mikei; 01/04/22 12:15 AM.
Re: Good news;; bad news [Re: QuitShootinYoungBucks] #8494445 01/04/22 01:55 AM
P
patriot07 Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
P
Originally Posted by QuitShootinYoungBucks
If they haven’t seen it out of the box, they won’t know the difference when they see it on the rifle. I’d exchange it.

I've done this before. No regrets and none of the gift-givers were any the wiser.

Re: Good news;; bad news [Re: mikei] #8494599 01/04/22 05:45 AM
Outdoor Legacy Offline
Tracker
Tracker
"Y'all are so awesome and I cannot believe you really all pooled your money to buy this for me! I've been wanting thermal for a long time and just couldn't bring myself to spend the money so what you've done is a huge blessing for me and one of the greatest gifts I could have received, more than you can ever know! I've heard some really good things about this scope but in all my day dreaming I've done some research and I really had XYZ model on my 'most wanted' list but I never thought I'd be able to own it. I hate to even mention this but would you be upset if I wanted to return this one and swap it out for this other model that I've researched and had my eye on? I just know opportunities like this don't come around often and it would awesome to get the XYZ scope since I've spent so much time researching and studying it."

Anyone reasonable, man, woman and probably even a small child, can understand that logic and be very happy to help you get the scope of your dreams, since it doesn't cost them a nickel more.

Outdoor Legacy - Owner
The Late Night Vision Show - Co-Host
[Linked Image]
Night Vision, Thermal & Accessories
OutdoorLegacyGear.com
(877)350-1818

Re: Good news;; bad news [Re: Outdoor Legacy] #8494812 01/04/22 03:12 PM
M
mikei Online Content OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
M
Originally Posted by Outdoor Legacy
"Y'all are so awesome and I cannot believe you really all pooled your money to buy this for me! I've been wanting thermal for a long time and just couldn't bring myself to spend the money so what you've done is a huge blessing for me and one of the greatest gifts I could have received, more than you can ever know! I've heard some really good things about this scope but in all my day dreaming I've done some research and I really had XYZ model on my 'most wanted' list but I never thought I'd be able to own it. I hate to even mention this but would you be upset if I wanted to return this one and swap it out for this other model that I've researched and had my eye on? I just know opportunities like this don't come around often and it would awesome to get the XYZ scope since I've spent so much time researching and studying it."

Anyone reasonable, man, woman and probably even a small child, can understand that logic and be very happy to help you get the scope of your dreams, since it doesn't cost them a nickel more.

Thanks, Jason! I should probably cut and paste this!!

Re: Good news;; bad news [Re: mikei] #8494829 01/04/22 03:32 PM
C
ccoker Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
C
that is a tough one.
Is someone in the group the type that researches things and thought they were getting you a "good one" ?

Or, they just found a deal online and ordered it?

Re: Good news;; bad news [Re: 603Country] #8496123 01/06/22 01:49 AM
T
TXHOGSLAYER Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by FiremanJG
I'd go with your original plan. Return it and get a different thermal. They didn't know what they didn't know. Their resources would still be put to good use.

Originally Posted by 603Country
Tell them you just found out there was a recall on those units, so you swapped it rather than deal with the recall.

LETS GO BRANDON
Re: Good news;; bad news [Re: ccoker] #8496199 01/06/22 03:00 AM
M
mikei Online Content OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
M
Originally Posted by ccoker
that is a tough one.
Is someone in the group the type that researches things and thought they were getting you a "good one" ?

Or, they just found a deal online and ordered it?

Not real sure how all this went down. The only one in the family that I talked to about thermal scopes was my son in law, at Thanksgiving. It was a short, one-on-one conversation on the way out to go deer hunting. I told him that I was saving my money for a thermal scope, but that my Wraith NV scope was serving me quite well. End of conversation. He knows nothing about thermal scopes; in actuality I'm not sure the boy knows much about anything except the auto loan business. He may have been the ring tailed leader of the effort; certainly none of the other family members that pitched in knows anything about thermal scopes. Returning it immediately will require me to produce a bill of sale. Since it was a gift, I'd have to shake down the whole group in an effort to get the BOS, assuming they even kept the darned thing. I don't want to lie to them. I"m leaning toward opening it up, putting it on a rifle, trying it out, and, as it fails, keep notes and after a 2-3 month trial, if it just doesn't work, (and it appears, from the reviews I've read that it won't!) I'll tell them all, and include my notes to ATN, and tell the herd that I want to return it and then shop around for a different scope that has better performance reviews. It will take a long time to go through the process, but I've been lusting after a thermal scope for a couple of years, so a few more months won't make that much difference, and I can look the kids and grandkids in the eye and tell 'em I gave the scope a real workout, but it just didn't perform.

Last edited by mikei; 01/06/22 03:03 AM.
Re: Good news;; bad news [Re: TXHOGSLAYER] #8496294 01/06/22 05:59 AM
D
DocHorton Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
D
Originally Posted by TXHOGSLAYER
Originally Posted by FiremanJG

Originally Posted by 603Country

I would go this route as well. Or just tell them you were looking and saw one for a little more money that had a couple features you really wanted and spent some of your own money along with what they gave you to get it.

No harm in doing that, IMO. FWIW, I've done the same thing before (although not a thermal scope) and never said a word about it. It's likely they will never know the difference.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide