Print Thread
What kind of Exotics are at South Llano River SP? #8490946 12/30/21 09:22 PM
W
WileyCoyote Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
W
Talked with a very nice and informative young lady this morning looking for ansers to a couple ?'s One of the ?'s was to confirm that WT's are off the Menu for my Hunt Date...They Are. In passing she mentioned that beside Axis there are huntable populations of Sika and another EXO of some kind available ...and of course I immediately forgot what that 3rd critter was . Anybody here remember? Anybody actually see or harvest something beside an Axis? ... except for WT's.

There now 3 blinds in the camping area due to the ongoing construction, and 9 blinds that have been relocated to the east of the camping area from wherever their normal spot had been. I'd be happy to have Sumbody Else drive me back up on top again on THAT scrawny Arsed jeep trail...and come get me after dark......but I ain't never gonna be ready to do it again by myself....in the dark. Last time my Suburban was kicking rocks off the side of the hill that I never heard hit bottom.

No mention of any blind availability in the turkey roost area either, even after I mentioned it. No mention of how the blinds will be selected ....but then she was also answering the only inbound telephone too, besides putting up with my dumb ?'s She did however answer my big time worry ?, about having a place to hang & store for the hunt duration any of the legally harvested critters for the duration of the Hunt. I was even contemplating even hauling a single axle covered UHAUL down there to use for storage ....until my Better Half almost died she was laughing so hard ...oh well it was her birthday and I hadn't put her present in front of her yet. She ALWAYS sez I over think, and over plan for achieving the over sized goal possible, and am never satisfied with any other result....but then she's put up with my life style for going on 55 years.
Ron

Last edited by WileyCoyote; 12/30/21 09:45 PM. Reason: clarity

It is TIME for Term Limits, cause Politicians are like childrens diapers and for the same reasons...Robin Williams

"These are the times that try men's soul's"...Thomas Paine

"Those who fail to learn from History are doomed to repeat it" ....Santayana
Re: What kind of Exotics are at South Llano River SP? [Re: WileyCoyote] #8490983 12/30/21 10:05 PM
E
Erny Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
E
The book years ago used to say fallow deer. Do you think it was fallow?

Re: What kind of Exotics are at South Llano River SP? [Re: WileyCoyote] #8490992 12/30/21 10:21 PM
W
WileyCoyote Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
W
Yup, I just found a source on line and and a great piece of information on ALL of the Exo's on TPW property in a TPW document....wished I seen this long time ago...I'd concentrated on more EXO's a long time ago. EX: Nilgai were released in South Texas in 1936...on the King Ranch. Fallow's are great looking critter too. Be sure to look at the average weight's ...it'll blow your mind ...
Ron

It is TIME for Term Limits, cause Politicians are like childrens diapers and for the same reasons...Robin Williams

Re: What kind of Exotics are at South Llano River SP? [Re: WileyCoyote] #8491053 12/31/21 12:12 AM
W
WileyCoyote Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
W
Matt Williams, the outdoor writer from Nacogdoches has a very interesting column about last years major freeze and it's affect on Exotics in the Texas Hill Country in my local paper's Out Door section. It'll probably be in the Dallas Morning News tomorrow, and probably other newspapers who carry his columns. The nearly 1/2 page Lead Picture of 3 Axis and a what looks like a Fallow laying dead in a pasture from freezing to death, will catch your attention and stay with you. The picture taken last year is supposed to be from a pasture in Rocksprings and at 4 degrees.
The phone conversation I had with the young lady earlier today at SLRSP had a short period where she referenced at length just this same exact comment about the necessity to remove as many as possible EXO's from South Llano River SP.

Earlier today I googled EXO's & Texas Parks & Wildlife and came up with a couple pages of interesting info about the kinds of Antelope EXO's in Texas and a short history of TPW's & Exo's...including a reference to the 1936 release of Nilgai at the King Ranch.
Ron

Last edited by WileyCoyote; 12/31/21 12:14 AM. Reason: clarity

Re: What kind of Exotics are at South Llano River SP? [Re: WileyCoyote] #8491064 12/31/21 12:29 AM
W
WileyCoyote Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
W
2nd try...when I asked the young lady at SLRSP about what all was available to hunt....she said Axis, Sika, Fallow & emphasized HOGS several times...they must be having a HOG Problem and laughed when I asked her if she knew where Palestine Texas is . She said she did...and understood if I dinnit want to focus on taking a hog knowing Palestine is having HOG PROBLEMS all over Anderson
County.
Ron

Re: What kind of Exotics are at South Llano River SP? [Re: Erny] #8491567 12/31/21 06:28 PM
W
WileyCoyote Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
W
Mr Erny....PM me PDQ I may have found something you will most positively be interested in. Only got a short short time to respond though. If I could've afforded it .....Oh well we won't go there.
Ron

Last edited by WileyCoyote; 12/31/21 06:31 PM. Reason: clarity

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide