Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Strange year for deer. #8485696 12/24/21 04:41 PM
HWY_MAN Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
Don't know what it like elsewhere but we've got bucks running around that don't know what to do. We've yet to go into serious rut and that usually starts around Thanksgiving, I'm not seeing rubs and scrapes like i normally do, hell I still see bucks running in bachelor groups. I'm guessing it's going to be a really late rut. This warm weather has everything confused. I'm fixing to head to the ranch and I'll bet my truck will be reading 90 before i get back.

Last edited by HWY_MAN; 12/24/21 04:50 PM.

Yes! A Weatherby does kill them deader.
Re: Strange year for deer. [Re: HWY_MAN] #8485714 12/24/21 05:06 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
The rut was normal for my area and it started just before Thanksgiving. Great spring conditions into early July made for great deer condition. We did go thru a very dry period from mid July until mid Sept but the deer were in good shape going into it. The October rains really kicked off the weed growth and the deer were scattered. I road around one afternoon the Monday or Tuesday of Thanksgiving week and saw at least 4 different bucks each chasing a doe in different areas on my place. The activity on cameras was about the same time, but the overall activity at feeders was way down compared to the first week of Oct bowhunting. They rutted no matter what the weather was doing, they just did it out of sight from the blinds/feeders on my place.
Now mule deer was way different this year in the Trans Pecos. We had really good summer rains and it rained very hard with a lot of run off. A little freeze in some areas burnt the brush in those area. Other areas the brush still had some green. But the lack of rain for the previous 3 months thinking the deer would be on their feet feeding on the gravel ridges like they had in the past with the same weather. It was nothing like that at all. Bucks sighting were few and far between and I went several hunts without seeing one deer much less a buck. Went 2 days without seeing a buck. I saw only 14 bucks in 13 days of hunting till I finally saw a shooter buck(to me). In the past I had morning hunts where I saw 14 bucks. Everyone I talked to from Panhandle to Trans Pecos said the same thing about not seeing deer and no bucks at all on ranches were they know there are good numbers. We felt and many of those felt that the bucks were down in the thicker taller green drainages. The hard rainfall runoff was only able to soak into those lower areas...so the bucks were camped out there and not visible at all. Had no reason to leave. We always say after the last day of the season that the bucks will be moving the next 7 days. I had a friend text me pics of 3 good mule bucks taken by some friends on their MLD lease during that period. The warmer temps during the general mule deer season and the bucks being down in the thick low cover made it difficult to find them this year. The lack of a hard freeze really hurt glassing and find deer this year. The rut is going to happen in the same period it always does...out of the season.

Are idiots multiplying faster than normal people?[Linked Image]
Re: Strange year for deer. [Re: HWY_MAN] #8485720 12/24/21 05:15 PM
T
Texas Dan Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
First year I can remember where pastures in East Texas look practically as green now as they did back in early October.

"Some people will never like you because your spirit irritates their demons."
Re: Strange year for deer. [Re: HWY_MAN] #8485721 12/24/21 05:18 PM
R
redchevy Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
R
I generally think the rut occurs about the same time every year regardless of what hunters observe. Be it hot cold full or dark moon all it effects is our perception of it etc. when that doe is hot the buck will chase.

It's hell eatin em live
Re: Strange year for deer. [Re: HWY_MAN] #8485726 12/24/21 05:21 PM
Ol Thumper Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
Our main rut up here was the second week of October and we simply had some stragglers here and thr after that. It was almost 3 weeks earlier than normal. I saw more big mature bucks on doe’s that week than I ever have in 40 years of hunting so I’d agree it was a weird year. The really crazy part was the poor doe’s that were hot during the typical ruutting time would have up to 10 bucks on her. We had 5 mature bucks on a single doe the morning my wife shot her big 8 which is very unusual up here. All I can say is 2020:was a crazy year all around so hopefully 2022 will be better flag

Re: Strange year for deer. [Re: HWY_MAN] #8485728 12/24/21 05:22 PM
G
GusWayne Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
G
I thought it came real early here in NTX

Shot a nice buck 20 min into opening morning chasing hard

And in Oklahoma, it seemed to be over by the time rifle season started.

Re: Strange year for deer. [Re: HWY_MAN] #8485761 12/24/21 05:56 PM
G
GLC Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
G
Rut has been over for at least 3 weeks in Hamilton county.

Re: Strange year for deer. [Re: HWY_MAN] #8485783 12/24/21 06:34 PM
W
Wilhunt Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
W
most of the activity we saw during early rut was the young bucks chasing doe. As the season went on there were less doe at the feeders. They may very well been in the pasture with cover and that was where the older bucks were working I suppose. deer seemed to be in better shape this year. Thankful for the rain. I read on here or somewhere that when the doe fawns reach 65 to 70 pounds the bucks will tend them.

Re: Strange year for deer. [Re: HWY_MAN] #8485797 12/24/21 06:58 PM
1860.colt Online Content
emoji colt.45
Online Content
emoji colt.45
Originally Posted by HWY_MAN
Don't know what it like elsewhere but we've got bucks running around that don't know what to do. We've yet to go into serious rut and that usually starts around Thanksgiving, I'm not seeing rubs and scrapes like i normally do, hell I still see bucks running in bachelor groups. I'm guessing it's going to be a really late rut. This warm weather has everything confused. I'm fixing to head to the ranch and I'll bet my truck will be reading 90 before i get back.

confused2 whins last time ya changed antifreeze ?

Just got off ice, 5" thick & melting on top...

[Linked Image]

Best wish's on hunt...

edit : tis thinking biggest factor in rut sightings tis temps.
Warmer weather more of it done @ night, cooler temps...
flag

Last edited by colt.45; 12/24/21 07:22 PM.

i'm postaddic
Re: Strange year for deer. [Re: HWY_MAN] #8485808 12/24/21 07:26 PM
603Country Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
We had the rut here, and it seems to be partially over. We have bucks in small groups and we have a couple of the larger bucks still tracking does. I don’t know what’s going on. And I’m seeing more bucks than does, which is a big change from past years.

The GS killed a 7 point this morning, and it had about zero body fat, and he had some serious smell to him (buck, not GS).

Not my monkeys, not my circus...
Re: Strange year for deer. [Re: HWY_MAN] #8486030 12/25/21 01:22 AM
Cattleman Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
Our season in Palo Pinto county is the worst I can remember. We are seeing very few deer in person and on camera.

Re: Strange year for deer. [Re: HWY_MAN] #8486051 12/25/21 01:43 AM
B
Biscuit Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
B
Weird because normally this happens when a ton of acorns are on the ground but we are seeing very little

Re: Strange year for deer. [Re: HWY_MAN] #8486087 12/25/21 03:01 AM
G
GusWayne Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
G
If you read, most will say rut happens around the same time regardless of moon, weather, etc

But I’ve hunted OK for 15 years and had about 3 days of rut in rifle season

And Tx winded down about the 2nd week as far as I could tell

Seemed to peak about 2-3 weeks early

Re: Strange year for deer. [Re: HWY_MAN] #8486090 12/25/21 03:08 AM
R
redchevy Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
R
Like clock work ours has kicked off right around Christmas since we started on our place in ‘07. 2 weeks ago was the last I hunted but bucks weren’t even all split up yet, watched 4 bucks inside a 7 panel round feed pen eat for quite a while. Eager to get back out. Also the buck I shot the last time out had fat hanging in his body cavity like grapes.

It's hell eatin em live
Re: Strange year for deer. [Re: HWY_MAN] #8486108 12/25/21 03:42 AM
K
kkfish Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
K
It seems a little behind here. Huge acorn crop this year. Some bucks still together about a week ago. Right now is usually prime time so who knows

Re: Strange year for deer. [Re: redchevy] #8486665 12/25/21 11:06 PM
T
txtrophy85 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by redchevy
I generally think the rut occurs about the same time every year regardless of what hunters observe. Be it hot cold full or dark moon all it effects is our perception of it etc. when that doe is hot the buck will chase.

100% correct

For it is not the quarry that we truly seek, but the adventure.
Re: Strange year for deer. [Re: HWY_MAN] #8486979 12/26/21 01:35 PM
D
Dave Davidson Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
D
Only one deer, a nice 10 point, taken off my place. But, hasnt been hunted very hard. Due to surgery/weakness I’ve only hunted twice but have been there a lot. Rarely even hearing a shot this year and I’ve seen nothing while hunting.

I’ll try again this weekend.

Montague County, South of Bowie.

Without a sense of urgency, nothing ever happens.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley, Rancher Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
Re: Strange year for deer. [Re: HWY_MAN] #8487182 12/26/21 06:58 PM
F
freerange Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F
I didnt notice anything real different this year. Im with those that say the actual peak breeding takes place at about the same time every year within a given area. The buck movement that hunters perceive as the rut may be seen or not because of many factors but the actual breeding is still happening, IMO.

At some point in life its time to quit chasing the pot of gold and just enjoy the rainbow. FR
Keep your gratitude higher than your expectations. RWH
Re: Strange year for deer. [Re: redchevy] #8487636 12/27/21 07:20 AM
N
ntxtrapper Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
N

Yep. I live on my ranch and watch them every day for hours. First and second rut are over here and was within the same few days as every year as usual.

Re: Strange year for deer. [Re: HWY_MAN] #8487680 12/27/21 01:16 PM
H
Hunter Daddy Online Content
Bird Dog
Online Content
Bird Dog
H
I hunt in southern Atascosa County. Our rut really kicked in during that cold front that pushed through on Saturday December 18th. From the 18th thru the 20th, I had seen 9 different bucks chasing does hard all throughout the day. Our rut is usually strong around December 10th. The cold front just made the deer move during those dates. I believe that a next cold front will have bucks chasing hard the beginning of January in deep south Texas.

Re: Strange year for deer. [Re: txtrophy85] #8487698 12/27/21 01:41 PM
H
Hudbone Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
H
Originally Posted by txtrophy85

100% correct

Observations all mine (realize the source) - Somes have led me to believe the first rut is kicked off by the length of the day and has little, if anything, to do with moon cycles or weather. I do know bucks will go crazy and dang near suffer from heat exhaustion when the weather doesn't quite cooperate. I do believe there are actually three phases to what we call the rut:

1). Pre-rut. Mature bucks will be walking steadily looking for that first receptive doe. They might nibble on a kernel of corn or two, but there is lil' interest in food. they aren't in a rush, just searching. They will run when they smell that first scent of estrus. When paired up, #2 begins. The pre-rut is an excellent time to rattle.

2). The actual rut. Mature bucks will pair up with a doe at the first opportunity. Somewhat akin to Skinner, it doesn't matter if she is pretty, light colored, dark colored, old or young as long as she is receptive. Once paired up and if not in the right location, the buck will attempt to move that doe where he wants her and set up camp at a vantage point where, if at all possible, he can see oncoming competitors. They don't want to be caught off guard. He will sequester her there and then leave her when done with her to look for his next conquest. A bird in the hand is better than two in the bush and rattling won't do much at during the actual rut.

3). Post-rut. The mature bucks begin to go nutso. All of a sudden, the flow of receptive does has gone gone and bucks do not like it when their balls start to turn blue. it'll drive them crazy. They will run here and there nilly willy, covering a loot of territory while looking for one more doe willing to provide some "companionship". This is when you see the most activity and it is oftentimes hard to get off a shot as the bucks won't stand still long enough. Rattling works well at this time.

I liken a lot of this to when I used to go to the Golden Stallion, Graham Central Station, Lubianski Hall and other places where males tried to attract female companionship. I consider the feeder pens to be much like a pick up bar. There's a lot of strutting, posing, fights and everything else that you would have seen at your favorite watering hole.

Re: Strange year for deer. [Re: HWY_MAN] #8487727 12/27/21 02:16 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
Some folks think just because they did not see the activity of a normal rut in the same area they have seen it in the past that it is was late. Rain fall and new forage base has probably shifted most of those deer to an area you are not used to looking for them in. When we get the first decent cold snap after some warmer days the young bucks are the first to show of the rut activity. You have a really good buck to doe and are feeding year round, those bucks are at the feed location. The does are not going to be there due to all the bucks and the harassment they get every time they show up. Those younger bucks then head to where the does are feeding at. If you are not looking for that then you are missing this pre-rut activity. The mature bucks are moving and roaming at this time. They know where the does are at and are spending time checking those areas till they find those receptive does. If that is not where you are normally looking for the rut and those deer then you are missing the rut.
Back 21 yrs ago now on New Years day I was down on a friends ranch in eastern LaSalle County. We had hunted the day before and that morning seeing a lot of deer but we felt due to the heat it had the activity down to night time. We were packing up to leave right after noon on a day where it was going to be in the mid 90's. It was already hot for Jan. early in the afternoon. I looked across a large stock tank(20 acres) in front the ranch house to see a doe with mouth wide open panting as she ran along the edge of the tank and had several bucks chasing her. The doe ran along the pond and then into the water and started to cool herself off in the water and get a drink. Several bucks did the same by rolling in the water to cool off. After about a minute or so the doe stood up and shook off, then took of running away. The bucks all did the same, some in the water and some never even got a drink or into the water as the doe left. For the next 5 or so minutes after the doe left more bucks came trailing in sniffing the ground. They ran to the waters edge and looked confused as they ran around looking for the doe and the rest of the bucks. They eventually sorted the trail out and left in the same direction as the rest of the deer. All total there was 11 bucks with 2 really good very mature ones in the mix. This all happened on a day when it was going to be well into the mid 90's and in the middle of the day. This was the normal time of the year for the rut. Weather had nothing to do with the rut that day. I watched something similar in the early 90's in the Hill Country over a several day period on very warm days.
We see some signs of the rut when get some cooler temps after we have had warmer temps than normal. I saw more deer "rut" activity around the feeders in early Oct due to it being very dry and we had much cooler temps. Lot of posturing, even seen a few brief fights and younger bucks chasing does around. The actual rut was in the latter part of November right before Thanksgiving. The same time it is every year.
In years we hear the rumors of an early or later rut than normal we always see fawns on the ground at the same time in the late spring and summer in the area we hunt. Wonder why that is?

Are idiots multiplying faster than normal people?[Linked Image]
Re: Strange year for deer. [Re: HWY_MAN] #8488356 12/28/21 02:52 AM
T
Txduckman Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Everything was normal on our place in Montague. Usually a few hard chases seen first two weeks and then will get random mature deer poking their heads near feeders before Thanksgiving. Camera and sitting in blind showed all of that. Our deer travel miles so you really just have to be there that hour when they walk by. Otherwise the place seems dead. Some years they chase in view and other they could be chasing out of view. Just a crap shoot.

Re: Strange year for deer. [Re: HWY_MAN] #8489927 12/29/21 08:30 PM
H
hook_n_line Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
H
The rut seemed to start early around my place. Lots of deer chasing the week before rifle opener. I only saw on deer on rifle opening day and he was a good one. Haven't been hunting there since. Down in south Texas it seemed to be normal except there is plenty of natural food this year.

Sometimes it's hard being me! But somebody has to do it.
Re: Strange year for deer. [Re: HWY_MAN] #8490197 12/30/21 01:02 AM
G
GusWayne Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
G
When I say rut seemed early I don’t mean 2 mo early

I mean 2 weeks early

Is shot a 4.5 year old dogging 20 min into opening day

OK rifle is 16 days and I about missed it, maybe 3 days of chasing

Then it was done

Just a few weeks early from what I personally saw and my cameras picked up