texashuntingforum.com logo
Main Menu
Advertisement
Affiliates
Advertisement
Newest Members
SgtMalone2, 903 Bow hunter, Ags4TheNatty, breezelow, EliteTraining
72250 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
dogcatcher 110,827
bill oxner 91,416
SnakeWrangler 65,804
stxranchman 60,296
Gravytrain 46,950
Stub 44,586
RKHarm24 44,585
rifleman 44,461
Forum Statistics
Forums46
Topics540,892
Posts9,768,312
Members87,250
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Fur Market--is there any? #8483679 12/22/21 03:32 PM
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 857
M
Matagorda Mud Pig Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
M
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 857
Talk about a renewable resource. Don't suppose any fur buyers are buying raccoons are they?




Re: Fur Market--is there any? [Re: Matagorda Mud Pig] #8483931 12/22/21 07:42 PM
Joined: Dec 2016
Posts: 3,901
W
Wytex Offline
Extreme Tracker
Offline
Extreme Tracker
W
Joined: Dec 2016
Posts: 3,901
Ours is pretty decent but I bet you all don't have much to sell.
Coons are not worth skinning right now.

We need strong auctions in Canada this year.

Re: Fur Market--is there any? [Re: Matagorda Mud Pig] #8484152 12/22/21 11:56 PM
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 2,922
M
maximum Offline
Veteran Tracker
Offline
Veteran Tracker
M
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 2,922
Last time I checked a top quality coon hide from my
area of Texas would bring a whopping $3.00
I don't think a bobcat was even $20.00

I'm not skinning anything for $3.00

I'll still do my part to stay on top of the varmints.
I'd much rather see fawns and rabbits and squirrels and
game birds than hear coyotes howling and find coyote
and bobcat turds full of fur and feathers

Re: Fur Market--is there any? [Re: maximum] #8498979 01/09/22 04:20 AM
Joined: Oct 2011
Posts: 3,161
S
SouthWestIron Offline
Veteran Tracker
Offline
Veteran Tracker
S
Joined: Oct 2011
Posts: 3,161
Originally Posted by maximum
Last time I checked a top quality coon hide from my
area of Texas would bring a whopping $3.00
I don't think a bobcat was even $20.00

I'm not skinning anything for $3.00

I'll still do my part to stay on top of the varmints.
I'd much rather see fawns and rabbits and squirrels and
game birds than hear coyotes howling and find coyote
and bobcat turds full of fur and feathers


This. i'm trying to stay after them as well. They quickly get out of control.

Re: Fur Market--is there any? [Re: Matagorda Mud Pig] #8499357 01/09/22 07:10 PM
Joined: Apr 2018
Posts: 283
J
Jiggamitch Offline
Bird Dog
Offline
Bird Dog
J
Joined: Apr 2018
Posts: 283
[Linked Image]

Re: Fur Market--is there any? [Re: Matagorda Mud Pig] #8512209 01/24/22 06:49 PM
Joined: Oct 2013
Posts: 1,331
D
Dave Scott Offline
Pro Tracker
Offline
Pro Tracker
D
Joined: Oct 2013
Posts: 1,331
Now a days no one is getting rich fur trapping. Maybe a few martin trapping in Alaska make enough to stay alive. Trap for the fun of it, to outfox the quarry.

Re: Fur Market--is there any? [Re: Dave Scott] #8513800 01/26/22 04:23 AM
Joined: Dec 2016
Posts: 3,901
W
Wytex Offline
Extreme Tracker
Offline
Extreme Tracker
W
Joined: Dec 2016
Posts: 3,901
Originally Posted by Dave Scott
Now a days no one is getting rich fur trapping. Maybe a few martin trapping in Alaska make enough to stay alive. Trap for the fun of it, to outfox the quarry.


Before covid, one could make good money out here in the Rocky Mt area trapping cats an coyotes. If FHA can have a good attended fur auction our prices will bounce back, bobcats can bring hundreds into the thousand + mark out this way.
No one was getting rich, but making some good money before covid.

Re: Fur Market--is there any? [Re: Matagorda Mud Pig] #8514690 01/27/22 01:28 AM
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 31,062
HWY_MAN Offline
THF Celebrity
Offline
THF Celebrity
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 31,062
Cat's 85.00 to 125.00
Coyotes 35.00 to 50.00
Fox 25.00 to 35.00
Coons 15.00 to 25.00

Live rattlers were 9.25 a pound.

This was back in the 70's. Just about wore my old 783 Marlin out.


Yes! A Weatherby does kill them deader.
Re: Fur Market--is there any? [Re: Matagorda Mud Pig] #8529467 02/12/22 01:04 AM
Joined: Oct 2017
Posts: 6,197
A
angus1956 Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
A
Joined: Oct 2017
Posts: 6,197
Doesn't get cold enough here in Texas for a good coyote hide. Buyers want stuff from Wyoming, Colorado, Nebraska, Kansas etc. where the under fur is thick ive tried selling north texas hides and no one wants them.

Re: Fur Market--is there any? [Re: Matagorda Mud Pig] #8529730 02/12/22 03:19 PM
Joined: Nov 2017
Posts: 19,650
B
Biscuit Offline
THF Celebrity
Offline
THF Celebrity
B
Joined: Nov 2017
Posts: 19,650
That was great when you get $20 for a coon

Re: Fur Market--is there any? [Re: Matagorda Mud Pig] #8532874 02/16/22 03:48 PM
Joined: Oct 2013
Posts: 1,331
D
Dave Scott Offline
Pro Tracker
Offline
Pro Tracker
D
Joined: Oct 2013
Posts: 1,331
There's a magazine, Fur-Fish-Game that has a lot of trapping and every month current fur prices.

Re: Fur Market--is there any? [Re: Matagorda Mud Pig] #8532885 02/16/22 04:01 PM
Joined: Dec 2016
Posts: 3,901
W
Wytex Offline
Extreme Tracker
Offline
Extreme Tracker
W
Joined: Dec 2016
Posts: 3,901
Here's a post by Petska about the routes and market for Texas, on FB.

I believe we have Kansas, Oklahoma, Texas, Antler/Dry Fur routes in place...don’t screen shot yet just in case...In need of Antler...Markets as strong as ever..watch antler pricing link on website...using it as my daily bid sheet...if I feel I need to adjust I can.
Cat market showing some strength...will be buying dry carcass or grease cats...the trick will be running in late March?…the weather could be a factor...don’t thaw carcass or grease cats...freeze grease cats flat so I can see belly...you guys in Texas don’t forget to poke hole in lip along canine and up into eye and put a stick or pencil in there so we can get a tag in there when we see you. I’ll be hauling a freezer but will only have room for so many.
Still need whole frozen grey, red, swift/kit fox....can use a couple hundred armadillos...don’t shoot in head...buying all manners of skulls...buying almost all fur bearer skulls...cow/steer with untipped horns and horn caps are most valuable …a complete list of skulls and others items we buy on November 5th “sales forecast” Facebook post.
Jury still out on coyotes from down there...and who knows what our opinion will be by then...obviously will only be buying only dry coyotes if we buy any at all...the extreme western Kansas, Oklahoma and Texas have the best chance of getting an offer.
Beaver market has had a little life breathed into it as well...not crazy money but will take all those we can get...preferably at that late juncture ...folded in half skin to skin and frozen is preferred. Castor a little cheaper than last year but still has decent value. www.petskafur.net

Re: Fur Market--is there any? [Re: Matagorda Mud Pig] #8535162 02/19/22 02:21 AM
Joined: Sep 2012
Posts: 2,121
M
mow Offline
Veteran Tracker
Offline
Veteran Tracker
M
Joined: Sep 2012
Posts: 2,121
in 1974-75-76 top coon hides would bring 55 dollars..we had traplines and coon dogs..made 3-4000 $ a month..possums 5$..coyote bounty on ears was 25$

Re: Fur Market--is there any? [Re: Wytex] #8535262 02/19/22 04:42 AM
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 21,110
S
Sniper John Online Happy
gumshoe
Online Happy
gumshoe
S
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 21,110
Originally Posted by Wytex
Here's a post by Petska about the routes and market for Texas, on FB.

I believe we have Kansas, Oklahoma, Texas, Antler/Dry Fur routes in place...don’t screen shot yet just in case...In need of Antler...Markets as strong as ever..watch antler pricing link on website...using it as my daily bid sheet...if I feel I need to adjust I can.
Cat market showing some strength...will be buying dry carcass or grease cats...the trick will be running in late March?…the weather could be a factor...don’t thaw carcass or grease cats...freeze grease cats flat so I can see belly...you guys in Texas don’t forget to poke hole in lip along canine and up into eye and put a stick or pencil in there so we can get a tag in there when we see you. I’ll be hauling a freezer but will only have room for so many.
Still need whole frozen grey, red, swift/kit fox....can use a couple hundred armadillos...don’t shoot in head...buying all manners of skulls...buying almost all fur bearer skulls...cow/steer with untipped horns and horn caps are most valuable …a complete list of skulls and others items we buy on November 5th “sales forecast” Facebook post.
Jury still out on coyotes from down there...and who knows what our opinion will be by then...obviously will only be buying only dry coyotes if we buy any at all...the extreme western Kansas, Oklahoma and Texas have the best chance of getting an offer.
Beaver market has had a little life breathed into it as well...not crazy money but will take all those we can get...preferably at that late juncture ...folded in half skin to skin and frozen is preferred. Castor a little cheaper than last year but still has decent value. www.petskafur.net



On their handling and hide care web page regarding coyotes. Good to know. Never heard of that before. Some other good tips on there as well. https://petskafur.net/fur-handling/

"Cut artery on inside front leg at elbow…we are finding this to be an excellent method of bleeding out a coyote and increasing your odds of preserving your harvest…especially in mild weather scenarios."

Re: Fur Market--is there any? [Re: Matagorda Mud Pig] #8535400 02/19/22 03:14 PM
Joined: Dec 2016
Posts: 3,901
W
Wytex Offline
Extreme Tracker
Offline
Extreme Tracker
W
Joined: Dec 2016
Posts: 3,901
The Petska guy will show up with a trailer full of unskinned coyotes most times he stops. I never understood folks not taking the time to flesh and dry their hides for the extra money but hey I guess the $10-15 he gives for unskinned is worth it for some.
Sad to see nice bobcats frozen whole in his truck as well but I understand some do not know how to skin or flesh.

Meeting a buyer tomorrow morning to see what they offer on our bobcats and coyotes, Petska comes in March if we don't sell in the morning.

Re: Fur Market--is there any? [Re: Matagorda Mud Pig] #8537997 02/22/22 02:48 PM
Joined: Oct 2013
Posts: 1,331
D
Dave Scott Offline
Pro Tracker
Offline
Pro Tracker
D
Joined: Oct 2013
Posts: 1,331
There are a lot of historic black powder shooters that want furs and usually the fur doesn't need to be that great- one of the few outlets left to sell.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.7.3