Print Thread
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: Trusting People Has Ended [Re: Ol Thumper] #8483059 12/21/21 09:20 PM
K
Ktexas14 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
K
This is one of the reasons that on invite hunts i have shot only does and spikes (if allowed).

I wouldn't ever want someone to think I took advantage of them and definitely wouldn't want to lose a friend over it.

Im sorry that you were put in that position. Even when you dont agree with someones rules or wish that they had been different, you have two choices when you are at someone's place, obey rules or dont be there.

Here i am just wishing I had somewhere that had some pigs to shoot and trees I can cut for firewood.

He had a shot at a nice deer for his kid and ruined it by taking a trophy instead. Don't let this ruin it for everyone for you, but i understand why it would.

Re: Trusting People Has Ended [Re: Ol Thumper] #8483204 12/21/21 11:49 PM
H
Huntinherrington Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
H
I was hunting a friends place about 15 years ago. I had a nice buck for our area (not a trophy by any means, It's not that type of managed land) come out to the feeder. After the hunt, I was telling him what happened. He was upset, upset because I didn't shoot it. I was just so thankful that I was allowed to hunt there that I was only going to shoot a doe. I just couldn't bring myself to shoot it. I felt that it would mean more for him to harvest it than it would for me to just come in and get it.

Re: Trusting People Has Ended [Re: Ol Thumper] #8483211 12/21/21 11:54 PM
tlk Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
you know this whole thread is a microcosm of our world today - many of us would not dream of being invited to a lease and taking advantage of that by shooting a deer that was not suppose to be shot - on the other hand there apparently are many others who would say "screw it" I am shooting that buck even if it ruins my relationship - I still try to believe that the majority of people in this world are good and upstanding people

You can't fix stupid
Re: Trusting People Has Ended [Re: Ol Thumper] #8483285 12/22/21 01:23 AM
E
ErnestTBass Offline
Tracker
Tracker
E
Couple different scenarios: I may take someone with me just during doe/spike season or after only does or spikes/culls, with that understood ahead of time and they are hunting with me. This is for relationships that are a little farther removed.

Second scenario: if I am going to let someone hunt on my place un-chaperoned, this is someone I am close to, and I don't do it unless I'm ok with them shooting anything that they want to shoot. I just prepare myself for it, give them the guidelines I follow, and tell them try to follow those guidelines but ultimately to shoot whatever makes them happy as long as they will hang it on their wall at home. If you're not okay with them doing that, then you shouldn't let them out there. JMO. I want to grow good old bucks, and we do, but at the end of the day they're just deer. I also want new hunters to learn to love the outdoors and not strangle them with so many rules that it's not any fun. I'm not going to let many people hunt my place, but if I do I'm not going to be a stress ball about what they shoot. I'm going to go pick them up, and if there is a smile on their face I'm going to be happy.

Re: Trusting People Has Ended [Re: ErnestTBass] #8483343 12/22/21 02:35 AM
tlk Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted by ErnestTBass
Couple different scenarios: I may take someone with me just during doe/spike season or after only does or spikes/culls, with that understood ahead of time and they are hunting with me. This is for relationships that are a little farther removed.

Second scenario: if I am going to let someone hunt on my place un-chaperoned, this is someone I am close to, and I don't do it unless I'm ok with them shooting anything that they want to shoot. I just prepare myself for it, give them the guidelines I follow, and tell them try to follow those guidelines but ultimately to shoot whatever makes them happy as long as they will hang it on their wall at home. If you're not okay with them doing that, then you shouldn't let them out there. JMO. I want to grow good old bucks, and we do, but at the end of the day they're just deer. I also want new hunters to learn to love the outdoors and not strangle them with so many rules that it's not any fun. I'm not going to let many people hunt my place, but if I do I'm not going to be a stress ball about what they shoot. I'm going to go pick them up, and if there is a smile on their face I'm going to be happy.

that is all good and well unless your LO is involved - then it becomes a huge problem - if you own the place then that is your call for sure

You can't fix stupid
Re: Trusting People Has Ended [Re: Ol Thumper] #8483426 12/22/21 04:33 AM
TurkeyHunter Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
I believe the OP handled things in the best way possible. As a guest you should abide by the house rules. If there is any question when you cannot consult with the house, err on on the conservative side, which in this case means don’t pull the trigger. Respect the landowners wishes, rules and guidelines. It’s not difficult.

I’ve been invited to hunt and have hunted in various parts of the world. Behave like a guest. It’s not complicated.

To be determined
Re: Trusting People Has Ended [Re: Ol Thumper] #8483460 12/22/21 05:30 AM
R
Ranch Dawg Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
R
Your a good person for not making a scene in front of the kid , it wasn’t his fault you know the dad made the call to shoot it. Feel for ya and agree with ya. Be done.

THE ROAD GOES ON FOREVER AND THE PARTY NEVER ENDS.

F##K YOU JOE BIDEN !!!!!
Re: Trusting People Has Ended [Re: Ol Thumper] #8483473 12/22/21 06:53 AM
T
Txduckman Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
I had a version of this happen to me last year but was a doe. A fawn doe. Had friend and his son out and same situation. I said no matter what,, do not shoot a lone doe!!! Only ones you know are not by themselves and older. Kid knew the deer was tiny and dad said shoot anyway. I could pick it up with one hand. And they have their own place to hunt. I just give him hell about it as much as I can. But no more deer for them. I made him drop it off at the processor and I wouldn't even get out of the truck. Their faces said it all and asked him wtf was he thinking. Think he got 15 lbs of sausage from it.

Now I have made an honest mistake myself and the supposedly 8 turned out to be a 10 pt with a little kicker when I walked up to it. I was very upset. They questioned my counting skills lol. Only shot does and spikes there since. At least it was an old deer that scored maybe 120. The 8 I should have shot left the sendero and thought was crossing to the next one and the deer I shot stepped out instead. I watched the one I shot for an hour before and knew it was a 10 but I thought it left as I hadn't seen it for a long time. Even took a bunch of pictures of it eating. I shoulder mounted it so he stares at me daily.

Re: Trusting People Has Ended [Re: Ol Thumper] #8483510 12/22/21 11:24 AM
T
Txduckman Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
On the flip side I will add I had an absolute low fence giant buck in front me that a buddy told me thru text to shoot on his lease and I could not do it. He told me to shoot it. I said you paid for your spot and I just couldn't do it. Buck was well over 150+ and watched it for 10 minutes in the wheat field 300 yards away. Later in the season he said they shot it over 300 yards away and never recovered it. Should have hired dogs or never taken that shot.... I shot a doe instead that I was there to shoot.

Re: Trusting People Has Ended [Re: Txduckman] #8483516 12/22/21 11:35 AM
Creekrunner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by Txduckman
On the flip side I will add I had an absolute low fence giant buck in front me that a buddy told me thru text to shoot on his lease and I could not do it. He told me to shoot it. I said you paid for your spot and I just couldn't do it. Buck was well over 150+ and watched it for 10 minutes in the wheat field 300 yards away. Later in the season he said they shot it over 300 yards away and never recovered it. Should have hired dogs or never taken that shot.... I shot a doe instead that I was there to shoot.

Friends like you are rare. cheers

...and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. Gen. 1:28
Re: Trusting People Has Ended [Re: Ol Thumper] #8483570 12/22/21 01:30 PM
D
Dodge_Rock Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
D
Originally Posted by Ol Thumper
I’m sure some of you have bad stories about guests or friends killing the wrong deer but I had a cluster screw ball mess over Thanksgiving with family coming to hunt and I learned my lesson doing that, or so I thought hammer I let a long time friend that has hunted his entire life take his kid hunting this morning to go after a specific 8 point and he called to say they can’t find him so I go down and help them look for it. Guess what, they mistook the 8 point at 40 yards for a 12 point that I had showed him pictures of to watch out for since he shows up daily. I was beyond pissed off but I acted happy for the sake of the kids hunt and told him I was proud of him but I took dad aside afterwards and it wasn’t a pleasant conversation. I’m even more pissed off he put me in that situation, the days of letting anyone hunt without me in the stand with them are 100% over and I’m not getting in the blind with anyone so the gigs up. Rant Over

Bummer of a situation. Maybe your friend make up for it somehow, but could it have been an honest mistake?
There are wrong deer killed all the time. A good way to handle this is to agree beforehand that if the wrong buck is shot, the hunter(or responsible adult) has to pay for it. Get it in writing, especially if you're not with them, and the wrong deer is high dollar or has intrinsic value.
I could see a situation that when the shot was taken, the 12pt was in the brush, which was out of sight, behind the 8. A poor shot hit the 12 by mistake, or even passed through the 8 & caught the 12 too(2 dead deer). Alternatively, both the 8 & 12 were in plain sight near each other, the dad gave the ok & the son shot the wrong deer in error. Maybe the 8 & 12 look like each other when facing you & a quick shot was taken.

Trust can go the opposite direction as well.
Sometimes guides/spotters or hosts make mistakes & give the nod that results in a big disappointment. Turns out the buck you just shot was a miniature version of the one you've been after.

Your decision of the 'gigs up' definitely works.

Re: Trusting People Has Ended [Re: Ol Thumper] #8483592 12/22/21 01:53 PM
JimBridger Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
The OP is to be congratulated on the way he handled the situation.
Hunting brings out the best and the worst in people.

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. Edmund Burke
Re: Trusting People Has Ended [Re: JimBridger] #8483604 12/22/21 02:05 PM
BOBO the Clown Online Content
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted by Pappybear
The OP is to be congratulated on the way he handled the situation.
Hunting brings out the best and the worst in people.

I’d say you 100% spot on.

I’m normally all for letting kids shot what ever. No deer is worth it IMO but specific instructions are just that, Wether it’s a deer or safety doesn’t matter, it being said for a reason . Think the OP was very level headed about that

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: Trusting People Has Ended [Re: Ol Thumper] #8483671 12/22/21 03:24 PM
Q
QuitShootinYoungBucks Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Q
The toadstool that shot this buck conned an old woman, was told he could shoot does and spikes but nothing in writing. After he posted it on social media and the landowner saw it, he wouldn't return or answer her phone calls. Does this look like a doe or a spike?

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

https://web.archive.org/web/20170223065011/http:/www.rrdvegas.com/silencer-cleaning.html
Re: Trusting People Has Ended [Re: Txduckman] #8483683 12/22/21 03:38 PM
T
Texas Dan Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by Txduckman
Kid knew the deer was tiny and dad said shoot anyway.

Unfortunately, our sport is overrun with dad's who are far more eager for their kid to shoot a deer than kids are themselves.

Last edited by Texas Dan; 12/22/21 03:39 PM.

"Some people will never like you because your spirit irritates their demons."
Re: Trusting People Has Ended [Re: Ol Thumper] #8483694 12/22/21 03:54 PM
603Country Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Way back when I did hosting hunts, I ran across every kind of hunter, from great to awful. One guy I can never forget. We told all guests that it was 8 points or better, then put them in the box stands. Later that morning we picked them up, and one guy had shot a 4 point. I’d have fussed at him, but he was truly shaking with buck fever. I had never seen that degree of shaking before, particularly an hour after he had shot. It was his first deer, and he was way beyond counting antler points. He was my guest, and I knew him well, but I didn’t give him much of a fuss.

Other than that, I don’t remember anyone totally and knowingly disregarding the rules. But, it was a company lease. On our personal land, I’d be less forgiving, but nobody but the GS and I hunt here.

Not my monkeys, not my circus...
Re: Trusting People Has Ended [Re: Ol Thumper] #8483712 12/22/21 04:09 PM
Ol Thumper Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
For what it’s worth I’m over it but sadly disappointed I was put in this situation. We live and learn but I’m taking a neighbors kid that’s never shot a deer before in this afternoon to go after the deer dipchit was suppose to shoot.

He admitted he knew it wasn’t the deer they were after last night but he didn’t think it was the same deer I had showed him pics of which I didn’t believe for a second after he said that .

The main problem I currently have I never mentioned was the deer they shot was the wife’s so called pet deer she called Ralph, it was a wild deer but was pretty tame as far as wild deer are concerned and she’s beyond pissed off. That was the whole reason I showed him the pics of that specific deer and told him not to shoot it no less than a dozen times. If it had been any other deer besides this one I’d probably never said a word about it and moved on but shooting the boss’s friend has proved to be a very touchy subject and I’m in the dog house for letting it happen. She gave explicit instructions that nobody's to hunt without me present from here on out, one asshat ruined it all by himself over his greed to get his son a buck.

Re: Trusting People Has Ended [Re: Ol Thumper] #8483783 12/22/21 05:17 PM
P
psycho0819 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
P
Lot's of stories here with valid reasoning. The one thing I see in all of them I've read is a lack of oversight at the particular times these things occurred. If someone is allowed to hunt our property and there are any deer that are off limits, and there always are, they simply are not allowed to hunt alone. Period, no exceptions. They are accompanied at all times in the field, and while it's rare that anyone else is even allowed to deer hunt our place, in those rare instances they have always taken the type of, or particular, animal we wanted them to.

Turning a hunter loose on a property with off-limit deer is asking for something like this to take place. JMO

Tolerance is the virtue of a man without conviction.

The end of the world began the day it was created, and life is a sexually transmitted terminal disease.

Re: Trusting People Has Ended [Re: psycho0819] #8483813 12/22/21 05:39 PM
T
Texas Dan Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by psycho0819
Turning a hunter loose on a property with off-limit deer is asking for something like this to take place. JMO

Best answer.

"Some people will never like you because your spirit irritates their demons."
Re: Trusting People Has Ended [Re: Ol Thumper] #8483816 12/22/21 05:43 PM
T
txmasterpo Online Content
Woodsman
Online Content
Woodsman
T
a friend did this.....a guy you knew for a long time......I would not do it to someone I met yesterday that let me hunt....this is why I don't have very many "friends"

Re: Trusting People Has Ended [Re: Ol Thumper] #8483841 12/22/21 06:07 PM
T
TxsDirtDad Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
T
I’ve simply learned over time that if I’m not there in the blind to go/no go on the specific animal to be harvested, I should just assume anything with feet and fur may be shot.

I understand the feeling though. I used to be a big people person, but people eventually changed my mind.

Re: Trusting People Has Ended [Re: QuitShootinYoungBucks] #8483857 12/22/21 06:21 PM
Txhunter65 Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Originally Posted by QuitShootinYoungBucks
The toadstool that shot this buck conned an old woman, was told he could shoot does and spikes but nothing in writing. After he posted it on social media and the landowner saw it, he wouldn't return or answer her phone calls. Does this look like a doe or a spike?

[Linked Image]

Doe with antlers!!! bolt

Re: Trusting People Has Ended [Re: QuitShootinYoungBucks] #8483867 12/22/21 06:30 PM
U
unclebubba Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
U
Originally Posted by QuitShootinYoungBucks

[Linked Image]

Well, according to TPWD... he does have one unbranched antler... confused2?

Re: Trusting People Has Ended [Re: Ol Thumper] #8483950 12/22/21 08:07 PM
C
Capt.JVH Offline
Tracker
Tracker
C
Sounds like a crappy friend to me. I would be pretty upset, but think you handled it well. Thankfully I have not had that happen to me at my place. I don't really let anyone other than family hunt anyway. And by family I mean my 76 year old Dad, my wife and my daughter.

Re: Trusting People Has Ended [Re: Ol Thumper] #8483977 12/22/21 08:37 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
I think you handled it admirably, but the mistake was allowing them to hunt with limitations but unsupervised.

As a long time landowner I have learned the hard way many of the lessons set forth above, particularly that:
1)Big deer make people do strange things and
2)People are not always what they seem.
The only ways to be stress-free about what takes place on your land is to either strictly limit access or simply not care what happens.

Originally Posted by Russ79
I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide