Print Thread
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: Trusting People Has Ended [Re: Ol Thumper] #8481781 12/20/21 07:45 PM
D
DQ Kid Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
Big reason why invited guests on our lease hunted without harvest restriction as to certain bucks, etc. They were only encouraged to shoot mature bucks but beyond that they had freedom to shoot as large as they desired. That said, we had a unique hunting arrangement with the landowner that is very, very hard to impossible to find nowadays, especially in deep South Texas. Our thinking was if you invite guests, let them fully enjoy the experience; again, unique situation and we really only averaged 1-3 guests seasonally. We encouraged guests and non-guests to shoot the biggest booner possible. Not in that situation, I can fully understand the loss of trust with your friend.

Re: Trusting People Has Ended [Re: Ol Thumper] #8481785 12/20/21 07:49 PM
skinnerback Offline
THF Celebrity Chef
THF Celebrity Chef
A newbe making an honest mistake is one thing, but purposely shooting a deer that you know is off limits is another thing entirely.

Re: Trusting People Has Ended [Re: stxranchman] #8481789 12/20/21 07:52 PM
L
LeonCarr Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
L
Originally Posted by stxranchman
Big deer will make people do stupid things.

Truth.

"Whitetail Deer are extinct because of rifles with telescopes mounted on them." - My 11th Grade English Teacher
Re: Trusting People Has Ended [Re: LeonCarr] #8481801 12/20/21 07:59 PM
H
Hudbone Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
H
"People do stupid things." Fify

Re: Trusting People Has Ended [Re: Ol Thumper] #8481803 12/20/21 08:02 PM
S
scalebuster Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
It’s just a deer. Not worth losing a friend over.

Re: Trusting People Has Ended [Re: Trackman] #8481818 12/20/21 08:10 PM
Txhunter65 Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Originally Posted by Trackman
I had the ranch owner I lease from take his 14yr old son out this morning to find him a cull buck and we have some great deer this yr on 14k acres. I texted him to what they were seeing he said 4 young 10 points and one mature 10 sent me the picture of the buck at 15yds I surveyed the deer and he was a high 140s-150 very mature 6yr or so. This boy lives in town with his mom and stepdad and doesn't get to the ranch very often. I told him let that boy shoot that buck. He didn't have the potential to make a 170+ ever in my mind.
That smile of him holding his best buck ever was worth it to me! Especially for a mexican boy that lives in a border town and doesn't get to see his dad that often. My ranch owner would not have let that happen, because he told his son that they were looking for mature 8 points if I hadn't give the green light. But I agree with the original poster a 12 at 40yds with pictures is uncalled for. I had passed a young buck about 4 yrs ago that was a 15 point 4 yr old at best several times and told everyone don't shoot this deer, well one of my best friends didn't like the talk, but he is the same guy that took me mule deer hunting when I was 14 like 34 yrs ago and we have been hunting every yr since so I didn't raise to much cane over a mistake on a 178 young buck, no deer is worth losing a lifetime friend, mistake or no mistake.

Originally Posted by scalebuster

The flip side to this coin is shooting the deer was worth losing you as a friend to them. Not sure a their definition and your definition of "friend" is the same.

Re: Trusting People Has Ended [Re: scalebuster] #8481820 12/20/21 08:12 PM
H
Hudbone Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
H

I would no longer be able to trust the guy. Inside the circle or out. Cross the line and you cross the line.

Re: Trusting People Has Ended [Re: Hudbone] #8481823 12/20/21 08:15 PM
D
DUKFVR Online Content
Tracker
Online Content
Tracker
D
Originally Posted by Hudbone

I would no longer be able to trust the guy. Inside the circle or out. Cross the line and you cross the line.

This!
one thing an honest mistake ,another to pull stuff like this. Would be hard not to call warden & file on him.

Re: Trusting People Has Ended [Re: Ol Thumper] #8481834 12/20/21 08:21 PM
S
Son of a Blitch Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
S
Had a close friend (was in my wedding) ask to take his wife to my ranch over the weekend. He’s done so in the past and took good care of the place. Said sure. He ended up shooting three deer (he was allowed 1….maybe 2) and brought 4 guests out when he said it was just gonna be him and his wife. He deleted all my game Trail cameras while he was there - except I always keep some that only I know about…caught him and his “guests” on camera. Asked him multiple times to tell me who he brought out. “Just me and the wife”. Right. I said I know you are not telling the truth. No man - just me and the lady.

He also dumped the bones and guts 35 yards from my neighbors front door instead of at the dump site in the middle of the property to hide the evidence. 🤦‍♂️

Keys were sent back the next week and he hasn’t been back since. Seen him once since that time in the last 5 years. He said he was sorry he got caught. Never apologized. Character revealed. Good riddance. Too old for that kind of “friendship”.

Last edited by Son of a Blitch; 12/20/21 08:23 PM.

George Blitch
george@mapmyranch.com
www.SonofaBlitch.com
www.MapMyRanch.com
www.YouTube.com/@sonofablitch
"Keep your aim as true as your word" - GB
Re: Trusting People Has Ended [Re: Ol Thumper] #8481840 12/20/21 08:25 PM
Ol Thumper Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
Once 40 years of trust Is broken he won’t be getting it back anytime soon,, not saying we wont be friends but not the same as it was prior to today.

DUFVR,, no way I’d ever even thinking about calling the warden with a kid involved like this. It wasn’t his fault and I wouldn’t want to put that memory in his head. He was bouncing off the walls excited which was a rewarding and sad moment for me.

Re: Trusting People Has Ended [Re: Ol Thumper] #8481845 12/20/21 08:28 PM
H
Hudbone Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
H
I don't want the friend who would go for me to doing that to him.

Re: Trusting People Has Ended [Re: Ol Thumper] #8481853 12/20/21 08:35 PM
B
batman Online Content
Pro Tracker
Online Content
Pro Tracker
B
You're a good man for not ruining the kids experience, but dad crossed the line. I hope you don't lose total trust in humanity, but I understand why you might.

Re: Trusting People Has Ended [Re: Ol Thumper] #8481856 12/20/21 08:39 PM
H
Hudbone Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
H
How's the ol' saying go? "With friends like that, who needs enemies?"

I am just concerned with how whatever was told to the son was told to him. This could all be even worser than you guys are imagining. Apples don't fall far from a tree and there are many reasons for it.

Re: Trusting People Has Ended [Re: Ol Thumper] #8481861 12/20/21 08:44 PM
T
txtrophy85 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
the only people you can let hunt your ranch are the people that don't need to......motto I abide by.

bet your bottom dollar it wasn't an accident and he did it out of greed. Can't stand people like that.

For it is not the quarry that we truly seek, but the adventure.
Re: Trusting People Has Ended [Re: Ol Thumper] #8481888 12/20/21 09:18 PM
D
DUKFVR Online Content
Tracker
Online Content
Tracker
D
Originally Posted by Ol Thumper
Once 40 years of trust Is broken he won’t be getting it back anytime soon,, not saying we wont be friends but not the same as it was prior to today.

DUFVR,, no way I’d ever even thinking about calling the warden with a kid involved like this. It wasn’t his fault and I wouldn’t want to put that memory in his head. He was bouncing off the walls excited which was a rewarding and sad moment for me.

I agree 100% with the kid being involved. You handled it great.
Sure would like to take dad behind the woodpile & have to tell the son, he fell down & got a few bruises getting wood. Next he will be complaining he has no where to hunt.

Re: Trusting People Has Ended [Re: txtrophy85] #8481892 12/20/21 09:23 PM
skinnerback Offline
THF Celebrity Chef
THF Celebrity Chef
Originally Posted by txtrophy85
bet your bottom dollar it wasn't an accident and he did it out of greed. Can't stand people like that.

Yep. Any halfway experienced hunter with a lick of sense would know better, and a real friend would never even consider pulling something like that.

I don't mean to step out of bounds here, but to me it sure sounds like Ol Thumper has both friends and some family members that don't have an issue taking advantage of his kindness.

Re: Trusting People Has Ended [Re: DUKFVR] #8481909 12/20/21 09:40 PM
TurkeyHunter Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by DUKFVR
Originally Posted by Hudbone

This!
one thing an honest mistake ,another to pull stuff like this. Would be hard not to call warden & file on him.

Just curious what the charge would be?

To be determined
Re: Trusting People Has Ended [Re: Ol Thumper] #8481922 12/20/21 10:01 PM
S
spacejunkie Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
S
Proud of the way you took care of the kid. Hope you ripped the Dad a new one.

Re: Trusting People Has Ended [Re: Ol Thumper] #8481940 12/20/21 10:24 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
He would not be a friend I would want to have around me or my family after pulling a stunt like this. It was a deer this time, no telling what it was in the past or what it would be the next time.

Are idiots multiplying faster than normal people?[Linked Image]
Re: Trusting People Has Ended [Re: Ol Thumper] #8481941 12/20/21 10:25 PM
D
Davis300 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
D
One of the main reasons I quit letting “friends” hunt my place. People flat have no respect and very little common sense these days. I pay for the feed, I mow, I fix fences, feeders, 4wheelers, ruts, etc…for some friend or family to expect an invitation? GTFO….

Re: Trusting People Has Ended [Re: Ol Thumper] #8481949 12/20/21 10:30 PM
S
stinkbelly Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
Never let someone hunt with restrictions. The state laws don't even keep people honest.

Re: Trusting People Has Ended [Re: stxranchman] #8482045 12/20/21 11:37 PM
T
Texas Dan Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by stxranchman
Big deer will make people do stupid things.

Firearms have their role in that as well. A firearm can sometimes produce the same effect as alcohol in terms of changing someone's personality and demeanor. Mixing all three together (big deer, firearms, and alcohol) in the wrong person can lead to very bad endings.

Last edited by Texas Dan; 12/20/21 11:45 PM.

"Some people will never like you because your spirit irritates their demons."
Re: Trusting People Has Ended [Re: Txhunter65] #8482116 12/21/21 12:55 AM
S
SnakeWrangler Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted by Txhunter65
I had the ranch owner I lease from take his 14yr old son out this morning to find him a cull buck and we have some great deer this yr on 14k acres. I texted him to what they were seeing he said 4 young 10 points and one mature 10 sent me the picture of the buck at 15yds I surveyed the deer and he was a high 140s-150 very mature 6yr or so. This boy lives in town with his mom and stepdad and doesn't get to the ranch very often. I told him let that boy shoot that buck. He didn't have the potential to make a 170+ ever in my mind.
That smile of him holding his best buck ever was worth it to me! Especially for a mexican boy that lives in a border town and doesn't get to see his dad that often. My ranch owner would not have let that happen, because he told his son that they were looking for mature 8 points if I hadn't give the green light. But I agree with the original poster a 12 at 40yds with pictures is uncalled for. I had passed a young buck about 4 yrs ago that was a 15 point 4 yr old at best several times and told everyone don't shoot this deer, well one of my best friends didn't like the talk, but he is the same guy that took me mule deer hunting when I was 14 like 34 yrs ago and we have been hunting every yr since so I didn't raise to much cane over a mistake on a 178 young buck, no deer is worth losing a lifetime friend, mistake or no mistake.

The flip side to this coin is shooting the deer was worth losing you as a friend to them. Not sure a their definition and your definition of "friend" is the same.

This entire thread saddens me beyond description….but this post takes the cake! The friend was specifically shown a picture of the deer NOT TO SHOOT with the deers habit of showing up daily and you want to defend the “friend” for asking if a deer is worth loosing a friend over….a “REAL FRIEND” who was “INVITED” to hunt for “FREE” and was given “VERY SPECIFIC INSTRUCTIONS” would be grateful for the opportunity and respectful of you by honoring your request. This friend took a blessing and turned it into something very ugly by being selfish and inconsiderate!

I’m with Txhunter65, I don’t need nor do I want “friends” like that…. 2cents

Originally Posted by Sneaky
I believe in science and I’m an insufferable [censored]
Originally Posted by beaversnipe
Actually, BBC is pretty damn good

"You Cannot Simultaneously Be Politically Correct And Intellectually Honest!"
Re: Trusting People Has Ended [Re: Ol Thumper] #8482117 12/21/21 12:55 AM
J
jskin Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J
Sorry brother! Some folks just like to play dumb and ask for forgiveness. Total lack of respect!

"While we are postponing, life speeds by"

Re: Trusting People Has Ended [Re: SnakeWrangler] #8482128 12/21/21 01:09 AM
skinnerback Offline
THF Celebrity Chef
THF Celebrity Chef
Originally Posted by SnakeWrangler
Originally Posted by Txhunter65

This entire thread saddens me beyond description….but this post takes the cake! The friend was specifically shown a picture of the deer NOT TO SHOOT with the deers habit of showing up daily and you want to defend the “friend” for having a different definition of “friend”….a “REAL FRIEND” who was “INVITED” to hunt for “FREE” and was given “VERY SPECIFIC INSTRUCTIONS” would be grateful for the opportunity and respectful of you by honoring your request. This friend took a blessing and turned it into something very ugly by being selfish and inconsiderate!

I’m with Txhunter65, I don’t need nor do I want “friends” like that…. 2cents

Like you, have lots of acquaintances, but very few "friends" that I want to be around for a reason.

Like Obie Juan mentioned, if this "friend" will do this as a guest....what else has he done or would he do in the future against your will.

No doubt this guy knew exactly what he was doing, and didn't GAF. NO respect. Good for the kiddo, but they'd never step foot on my place again. I've never understood people like this, and never will.

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide