Print Thread
Hevi Metal #8474936 12/14/21 01:45 AM
Y
Youngin' Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
Y
Have anyone of y’all ever used Hevi Metal #6s? 1 1/4oz 3inch. I have a store by the house that has a lot in stock currently. I was hesitant to buy to many boxes because we mostly shoot mallards this time of year. Have shot 3” #3s in the past and loved them. Wondering y’all’s thoughts?

Originally Posted by 817cd
Thanks for all the positive THF support. Y'all are awesome.
Re: Hevi Metal [Re: Youngin'] #8475047 12/14/21 03:57 AM
kmon11 Online Shocked
junior
Online Shocked
junior
They should work fine, heavy shot is heavier than lead and hold its energy well as well as patterns great in the guns I have shot it in. I have killed a lot of geese with #4 heavy shot.

lf the saying "Liar, Liar your pants on fire" were true
Mainstream news might be fun to watch
Re: Hevi Metal [Re: Youngin'] #8475346 12/14/21 03:31 PM
G
goosebuster Offline
Tracker
Tracker
G
Decoying the birds and shoot them over the spread and it'll knock them out.

Re: Hevi Metal [Re: Youngin'] #8475387 12/14/21 03:58 PM
T
TrackQuack Offline
Tracker
Tracker
T
you can definitely kill ducks with less expensive shells but yes they would be a great duck load. Tony Vandemore gives them a lot of praise and they kill a couple decoying mallards....

Re: Hevi Metal [Re: TrackQuack] #8475614 12/14/21 07:38 PM
Y
Youngin' Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
Y
Absolutely. They are outrageously priced, but I’m running thin on my stock of Kent’s and can’t find shells anywhere.

Originally Posted by 817cd
Thanks for all the positive THF support. Y'all are awesome.
Re: Hevi Metal [Re: Youngin'] #8475768 12/14/21 10:36 PM
Sniper John Offline
gumshoe
gumshoe
There is no Hevi Shot in these shells anymore. The newest version of Hevi Metal shells per the 2021 catalog are 70% 7.8g/cc steel shot with 30% 9.64g/cc bismuth. The bismuth shot is one size smaller than the steel shot. Since the bismuth shot is one size smaller it probably brings the single pellet weight close to the same weight as the larger steel shot. There should be a very slight higher pellet count due to the bismuth. I don't see it worth the extra cost over straight steel, but if it's easier to find right now and close to home to pick up, it might be worth it. IMO, It should shoot close enough to the same size for size compared to straight steel having the same fps and payload weight.

[Linked Image]

Re: Hevi Metal [Re: Youngin'] #8476269 12/15/21 05:59 AM
J
jnd59 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
J
I picked up a case of Kent 3s at Gibson's in Weatherford a couple of weeks ago. Haven't been back but there were a decent number of cases. Might call if you're in the area.

No matter how high a duck flies a hammer still breaks a window.
Re: Hevi Metal [Re: Youngin'] #8477897 12/16/21 10:27 PM
K
KWood_TSU Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
K
Good info Sniper John. They're hevi metal 12 looks interesting, but I can't support that company. There's some write ups about how that company is not a good company and full of lies.

Amat Victoria Curam - Victory Loves Preparation
Re: Hevi Metal [Re: Youngin'] #8477952 12/16/21 11:37 PM
dbgsig Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
Who has them in stock? I have looked everywhere

Re: Hevi Metal [Re: KWood_TSU] #8478096 12/17/21 02:13 AM
Sniper John Offline
gumshoe
gumshoe
Originally Posted by KWood_TSU
Good info Sniper John. They're hevi metal 12 looks interesting, but I can't support that company. There's some write ups about how that company is not a good company and full of lies.

That company has had a long history of not declaring changes in load composition. and having trade names that tend to deceive buyers. Back in the early days I emailed them with some questions about shot densities in different loads and they refused to tell me. At least they are putting it in their flier now. I am sure the shells kill birds, but I don't see paying the extra cost for marketing. I will only buy them if they are on clearance or if it is all I can find. There was a post a few years ago with pictures from a THF forum member who cut open one of the EM shells that used flax seed as a buffer. It had live bugs in it living off the flax seed! crazy

I do wonder about this shell design. The bismuth portion being one size smaller than the steel portion would allow for a higher pellet count, but only for that 30% portion of the shell. So we are probably talking about maybe what no more than 10 extra pellets over a same size 100% steel load. Then though each bismuth pellet has the same weight as each steel pellet, it is still smaller in diameter, The steel being larger will have more drag than the bismuth and be slower. It is why the bismuth is on top of the steel in the load. This has to cause the shot string to be longer. And then too bismuth I have loaded has not been uniform, so will cause some flyers. For some these two things may be a benefit as it is more forgiving to human error, but at the same it could cause more cripples. Then there is fact that Bismuth tends to be brittle. At 1500 fps I would have expected some of that shot to fracture. Makes me wonder if it's wad design is similar to a flightcontrol and holding that payload together longer. That could explain the "longer range" over a 1500 fps steel load of the same size. Provided the steel load has the usual conventional wad. I would like to cut one open to figure it all out, but again, not paying that price and at the cost of those shells and not going to waste one of the shells if I did.

Re: Hevi Metal [Re: Sniper John] #8478420 12/17/21 02:38 PM
K
KWood_TSU Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
K
Originally Posted by Sniper John
Originally Posted by KWood_TSU

That company has had a long history of not declaring changes in load composition. and having trade names that tend to deceive buyers. Back in the early days I emailed them with some questions about shot densities in different loads and they refused to tell me. At least they are putting it in their flier now. I am sure the shells kill birds, but I don't see paying the extra cost for marketing. I will only buy them if they are on clearance or if it is all I can find. There was a post a few years ago with pictures from a THF forum member who cut open one of the EM shells that used flax seed as a buffer. It had live bugs in it living off the flax seed! crazy

I do wonder about this shell design. The bismuth portion being one size smaller than the steel portion would allow for a higher pellet count, but only for that 30% portion of the shell. So we are probably talking about maybe what no more than 10 extra pellets over a same size 100% steel load. Then though each bismuth pellet has the same weight as each steel pellet, it is still smaller in diameter, The steel being larger will have more drag than the bismuth and be slower. It is why the bismuth is on top of the steel in the load. This has to cause the shot string to be longer. And then too bismuth I have loaded has not been uniform, so will cause some flyers. For some these two things may be a benefit as it is more forgiving to human error, but at the same it could cause more cripples. Then there is fact that Bismuth tends to be brittle. At 1500 fps I would have expected some of that shot to fracture. Makes me wonder if it's wad design is similar to a flightcontrol and holding that payload together longer. That could explain the "longer range" over a 1500 fps steel load of the same size. Provided the steel load has the usual conventional wad. I would like to cut one open to figure it all out, but again, not paying that price and at the cost of those shells and not going to waste one of the shells if I did.

I believe in theory that it's a good idea, but stacked mixed blend seems counter intuitive. Like apex's steel tungsten mix. Is the steel really doing anything besides being a filler?

Honestly, it's why I stick with boss. The company is wide open with their views, and imo, make the best and most affordable load that consistently kills. You have a question, they will answer.

A boss 3" #4 has more payload than a 3.5" #2 or BB. So shooting that many more pellets is a no brainer to me.
It's scientifically been proven that it's a better load than steel, and the results speak. Plus you're dealing with a company that has excellent customer service. It's a win win

Amat Victoria Curam - Victory Loves Preparation
Re: Hevi Metal [Re: Youngin'] #8478516 12/17/21 03:52 PM
J
john paul Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
J
On the subject of Boss…

I think I’ve shot every kind of bismuth made for a 28 gauge through mine and I don’t think Boss is superior in anyway over Rio, Kent, or Hevi Bismuth EXCEPT for the fact that they have not gone up $.01 on their prices since all of the ammo shortages started. Made a forever customer out of me as long as they keep that business model.

Last edited by john paul; 12/17/21 03:52 PM.

Originally Posted by garrett
I'm with GK because I like salty old dudes.
Re: Hevi Metal [Re: Youngin'] #8478575 12/17/21 04:48 PM
Wildphilhickup Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
*** Then there is fact that Bismuth tends to be brittle. At 1500 fps I would have expected some of that shot to fracture.***

I would bet that a lot of that shot will fracture. It's sitting on top of steel shot with no card / wad separation. And I bet shot patterns suck!

* Hotter Primer ? - really? How does that make any difference? There's only around 20 grains of powder. A standard 209 is more than sufficient.

* Clean Burning Propellant ? - aren't they all? And do I care? No! I shoot a pump.

* Thicker Base Wad ? - so, no cup? That doesn't do anything for me.

You can miss just as easily with expensive ammo as you can with cheaper ammo.

I shoot whatever I have or can find. *** I never shoot any duck or goose unless I can see their legs / feet.

Last edited by Wildphilhickup; 12/17/21 04:55 PM.

MILL CREEK HONEY BEE FARM, LLC
millcreekhoneybeefarm @yahoo.com
Re: Hevi Metal [Re: Youngin'] #8478613 12/17/21 05:37 PM
Sniper John Offline
gumshoe
gumshoe
Hevi Metal was recalled 5 or 6 years ago because the wads in those shells were sometimes cracking and causing squibs. That could be the real reason for the thicker base wad.

When I first started reloading hevi shot and tungsten was cheap compared to today's standard and I bought a few large bags of the stuff. I still have most of it. I just looked at what it is selling for now. Geez, little 2lb bags or bottles of hevi shot is over 75 bucks now and tungsten is almost $100. I probably should just stack those bags in my safe with the bullion. If it goes up much more, it will be too valuable to shoot.

Re: Hevi Metal [Re: Youngin'] #8478616 12/17/21 05:49 PM
Sniper John Offline
gumshoe
gumshoe
FYI,
I just noticed the © 2021 FEDERAL AMMUNITION. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED at the bottom of the hevishot website.

Hevi Shot was sold to Federal about a year ago.

"After evaluating various strategic partners, HEVI-Shot was sold to Federal Cartridge Company, a division of publicly traded Vista Outdoor (“VSTO”). The acquisition will add another iconic brand to Federal’s ammunition portfolio."
https://www.zacharyscott.com/portfolio/project/hevi-shot-sale

Re: Hevi Metal [Re: Sniper John] #8478658 12/17/21 06:48 PM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted by Sniper John
Hevi Metal was recalled 5 or 6 years ago because the wads in those shells were sometimes cracking and causing squibs. That could be the real reason for the thicker base wad.

When I first started reloading hevi shot and tungsten was cheap compared to today's standard and I bought a few large bags of the stuff. I still have most of it. I just looked at what it is selling for now. Geez, little 2lb bags or bottles of hevi shot is over 75 bucks now and tungsten is almost $100. I probably should just stack those bags in my safe with the bullion. If it goes up much more, it will be too valuable to shoot.

If you get enough people together you can order tungsten out of China pretty cheap, comparably

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: Hevi Metal [Re: kmon11] #8479781 12/18/21 11:09 PM
G
Greekangler Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
G
Originally Posted by kmon11
They should work fine, heavy shot is heavier than lead and hold its energy well as well as patterns great in the guns I have shot it in. I have killed a lot of geese with #4 heavy shot.

Heavy Metal is NOT Heavy shot. I shoot same in Heavy Shot 1.25 #6 mod choke on of the 20 gauge and it smokes the crap out of Ducks

[Linked Image]
Take a kid Huntin
Re: Hevi Metal [Re: Youngin'] #8484254 12/23/21 01:30 AM
C
claypool Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
C
Got some 3” 12 gauge steel if interested. Just 5 boxes. Just want what I got in em.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide