Re: BB gun for 3 year old ? [Re: P_102] #8472113 12/11/21 12:49 AM
D
DSST_Construction Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
D
Originally Posted by P_102
My personal opinion is that at 3 a child does not have the muscle control for accuracy of any kind or even the understanding of what
accuracy is.

I’m not trying to get her into the professional shooting competition, I just would like to blow up a few balloons and eve guy get her where she can hit them to start off with.

We work anything an everything masonry,we have been in this trade for over 40+ years of experience.
We fix/repair/build anything masonry

DSST Construction Services
Deputy (713) 826-4451
Office (713) 417-7167
Email k5blaser88@yahoo.com

Re: BB gun for 3 year old ? [Re: DSST_Construction] #8472245 12/11/21 04:37 AM
R
Remo Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
R
I think the training just has to match whatever you choose- the gun its self could be hard to get wrong as long as your message fits. So long as kids are getting the right message for what they are doing- consistent, uncompromising, constant. I don't like toy guns, but mine got a nerf gun one year from family, so we started treating those like firearms well before starting bb guns (lever actions on Red Ryders are pretty stout for any kid, out of the box). Practiced muzzle control, handing a weapon back and forth, chamber checks, etc. I have Halloween pics of a small kid showing that straight right index finger and crowd awareness. He started training his buddies too. Too funny. For some reason the girls didn't listen at all- he'll have to get used to that.

Re: BB gun for 3 year old ? [Re: Remo] #8472247 12/11/21 04:41 AM
D
DSST_Construction Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
D
Originally Posted by Remo
I think the training just has to match whatever you choose- the gun its self could be hard to get wrong as long as your message fits. So long as kids are getting the right message for what they are doing- consistent, uncompromising, constant. I don't like toy guns, but mine got a nerf gun one year from family, so we started treating those like firearms well before starting bb guns (lever actions on Red Ryders are pretty stout for any kid, out of the box). Practiced muzzle control, handing a weapon back and forth, chamber checks, etc. I have Halloween pics of a small kid showing that straight right index finger and crowd awareness. He started training his buddies too. Too funny. For some reason the girls didn't listen at all- he'll have to get used to that.

This is what my main idea of doing this was for. Just to get her first step into firearm safety

We work anything an everything masonry,we have been in this trade for over 40+ years of experience.
We fix/repair/build anything masonry

DSST Construction Services
Deputy (713) 826-4451
Office (713) 417-7167
Email k5blaser88@yahoo.com

Re: BB gun for 3 year old ? [Re: DSST_Construction] #8472249 12/11/21 04:43 AM
Bee'z Online Happy
The Beedazzler
Online Happy
The Beedazzler
I got a daisy 3 pump at about 5. I shot a benjamin .20 cal at 4. Your call.

[Linked Image]
Re: BB gun for 3 year old ? [Re: Bee'z] #8472278 12/11/21 06:02 AM
B
bigjoe8565 Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
B
Originally Posted by 2Beez

When I was a kid, I thought my Daisy pump was the coolest thing ever. I’m sure it’s due to litigation reasons, but BB guns today are not as powerful as they were when I was a kiddo.

Re: BB gun for 3 year old ? [Re: DSST_Construction] #8472279 12/11/21 06:08 AM
N
ntxtrapper Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
N
I know the LOP will be too long with the rifle stock on it but it's both a rifle and pistol so you could start off with the pistol. No pumping with C02, you can pop critters with it too until she's old enough to use it on her own and she can effectively go squirrel hunting with it as she grows. It will be so much more accurate than a BB gun, there's no comparison. It only weighs 3 pounds and has a silencer too $129.99. BB guns ricochet really bad, break glass and pellet guns typically don't. I've always thought red rider bb guns were a waste of money but that's just my opinion of them.

https://www.pyramydair.com/product/diana-chaser-co2-air-rifle-kit?m=4613
[Linked Image]

Re: BB gun for 3 year old ? [Re: ntxtrapper] #8472281 12/11/21 06:19 AM
T
Tin Head Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
Originally Posted by ntxtrapper
I know the LOP will be too long with the rifle stock on it but it's both a rifle and pistol so you could start off with the pistol. No pumping with C02, you can pop critters with it too until she's old enough to use it on her own and she can effectively go squirrel hunting with it as she grows. It will be so much more accurate than a BB gun, there's no comparison. It only weighs 3 pounds and has a silencer too $129.99. BB guns ricochet really bad, break glass and pellet guns typically don't. I've always thought red rider bb guns were a waste of money but that's just my opinion of them.

[Linked Image]

you can get the same accuracy or better in likely a lighter package through crosman. The 2240, co2 pellet pistol and add a rifle stock to the pistol for 20 bucks. If your really feeling fancy go through the crossman custom shop.

with a 1322 with 30 dollar aftermarket barrel , steel breach, I can shoot a quarter and 30 yards. 20 dollars for the sock added to the pistol. This one is a pump which I like because the weather doesnt affect velocity as much as co2. I also have the 2240 co2 version.

crosmans guns are very accurate with the right pellet even out of the box, . Crosmans guns are like the ruger 10/22 tons of aftermarket parts and tuning

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Tin Head; 12/11/21 06:24 AM.

[Linked Image]
Re: BB gun for 3 year old ? [Re: ntxtrapper] #8472286 12/11/21 06:33 AM
T
Tin Head Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
Originally Posted by ntxtrapper

[Linked Image]

Im sure you know the law better than I but I read it gets tricky around the whole silencer deal . Most are just a selling gimmick claming a silencer. Muzzle break is a simple item.

Are Air Gun Silencers Legal?

We don’t want to present any misconceptions here and make it sound like getting a silencer for your air gun is easy. It’s very often anything but.

Assuming you live in the United States, you can’t just go out and buy a silencer for your air gun. Instead, you first have to write to or reach out to your federal government and request their permission for the silencer. If you get turned down for any reason, then that’s it, it’s game over for you. No air gun silencer.

Why all the red tape, you ask? Unlike owning a firearm, which is written into the US Constitution, there’s nothing in there about silencers. Thus, any state can decide to decline your request of owning one if they so choose.

Certain states do allow for silencer ownership on a private level. These are as follows:

Wyoming
Wisconsin
West Virginia
Virginia
Utah
Texas
Tennessee
South Dakota
South Carolina
Pennsylvania
Oregon
Oklahoma
Ohio
North Dakota
North Carolina
New Mexico
New Hampshire

Nevada
Nebraska
Montana
Maryland
Maine
Louisiana
Kentucky
Indiana
Idaho
Georgia
Florida
Connecticut
Colorado
Arizona
Arkansas
Alabama

If you count ‘em all up, those are indeed 36 out of 51 states. Okay then, so what’s the problem? Well, here’s where things get a little tricky.

Allowing for private ownership of an air gun silencer just means that you don’t risk any legal penalization if live in a state on that list of 36 and you’re caught using your silencer in say, your backyard. That’s all.

What it doesn’t mean is that your application for a silencer will naturally be approved just because you call one of the above states home. Remember, those permissions happen on a local or federal level, not a personal level.

Okay, well you at least want to try to see if you can get approval to buy an air gun silencer. What kind of form would you have to fill out? Can you just write an informal letter? You can write a letter if you really wanted to, but you’d also need to accompany it with ATF Form 4.

You can take a look at the form online right here. Download the PDF, print out the form, and complete it at your leisure. As the form says, you’re reaching out to the National Firearms Act Division through the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives in Colorado.

You need to include your own personal information, such as your full name, home address, phone number, and email address.

There’s also a section asking for information about the gun in question. Such as; the manufacturer, where the gun was imported from, its model, barrel length, overall length, and serial number as applicable. If you transferred the gun or bought a transferred one, you’d need to add that info in as well.

Besides the completed ATF Form 4, you also need to send along a $200 check (oh yeah, this isn’t free) and passport photos. Your local police office will get your fingerprints, which are part of your application as well.

Once you send in all your materials, it’s a waiting game. As we said before, you could get turned down for any reason and even a reason that’s never revealed to you.

It doesn’t seem like you can appeal the rejection, so you’re stuck. You could always wait and then try applying again or apply with a different air gun. You could still get turned down every time, though. It happens.

The good news is that if you do win the approval to own an air gun silencer, that’s it, you’re all set. You never have to apply for that silencer again. While it’s quite a time-consuming, pricy, and exasperating process then, it will be worth it if your silencer gets approved.

[Linked Image]
Re: BB gun for 3 year old ? [Re: DSST_Construction] #8472818 12/12/21 02:41 AM
A
angus1956 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
A
Please don't put any BB's in the Damm thing unless your looking for an emergency room visit or worse.

Re: BB gun for 3 year old ? [Re: DSST_Construction] #8475011 12/14/21 03:09 AM
B
Bildo Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B
Red Ryder cut it down and shoot cans. No telling how many bbs my kids went through with those things. Don’t overthink it probably nothings been used more.

Re: BB gun for 3 year old ? [Re: DSST_Construction] #8475083 12/14/21 05:32 AM
T
Txduckman Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Don't shoot the targets on deer corn bags with a Red Ryder! When my son turned 5 made that mistake after a couple shots whizzed back at us! He was still too small to hold and shoot it actually. Beer cans make better targets.

Re: BB gun for 3 year old ? [Re: DSST_Construction] #8475255 12/14/21 01:54 PM
U
upsslim Offline
Tracker
Tracker
U
I have 4 boys. They each got a Daisy Red Ryder on their 6th birthday. I waited till 6 so they were strong enough to work the lever action by themselves. I taught them gun safety. If they did something unsafe I'd put the gun on top of the refrigerator for a week. They could see it put not touch it. It taught them very valuable lessons. They are all grown adults now and still use the safe gun handling I taught them many years ago.

East Texas
Patriot Guard Rider
Flag Captain
Re: BB gun for 3 year old ? [Re: DSST_Construction] #8475258 12/14/21 02:00 PM
S
scalebuster Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
Red Ryder guns are not the same as they were 40 years ago. They are an inaccurate POS now. I went with a Crossman and chop sawed the stock when my oldest was 5.

Re: BB gun for 3 year old ? [Re: DSST_Construction] #8475361 12/14/21 03:45 PM
S
Smokey Bear Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
I have a nephew who’s father is an attorney. The father was so worried about liability that he would not let my nephew do much of anything. When he turned 5 I gave him a red Ryder BB gun for Christmas and his other uncle gave him a hatchet with a belt scabbard. The nephew had a ball with them. We had a ball watching his daddy….

Smokey Bear---Lone Star State.
Re: BB gun for 3 year old ? [Re: DSST_Construction] #8475378 12/14/21 03:55 PM
bill oxner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
I was six.

Quail hunting is like walking into, and out of a beautiful painting all day long. Gene Hill

[Linked Image]

Re: BB gun for 3 year old ? [Re: Bildo] #8475396 12/14/21 04:02 PM
P
PappawRock Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
P
Originally Posted by Bildo
Red Ryder cut it down and shoot cans. No telling how many bbs my kids went through with those things. Don’t overthink it probably nothings been used more.

I'm not up on all the new stuff (pretty cool stuff!) but I remember as a kid how awesome it was to fire a round off from my red ryder and literally watch the bb soar like a TD pass from 70 yards out and see the teensy splash in the tank across the pasture...

Re: BB gun for 3 year old ? [Re: DSST_Construction] #8475867 12/14/21 11:23 PM
T
Tin Head Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
for those that may not know they make a great gadget these says called safety glasses . Gun safety also translates to bb guns . Nothing wrong with a bb gun if you know what and what not to do.

[Linked Image]
Re: BB gun for 3 year old ? [Re: DSST_Construction] #8475934 12/15/21 12:12 AM
bigbob_ftw Offline
Big Sprocket Bob
Big Sprocket Bob
I understand the want, but 3 is too early. Get a Nerf gun.

[Linked Image]

Ultra MAGA '24.
Re: BB gun for 3 year old ? [Re: DSST_Construction] #8475951 12/15/21 12:37 AM
D
DocHorton Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
D
Got my son a Red Ryder BB gun for Christmas last year...he was 5. Had a hard time cocking it by himself at first, but now he's 6 and has no problem. LOP is too long, but it's no big deal he tucks it under his arm. I agree that 3 is too young...but he had plenty of nerf guns at that age.

A Red Ryder is a rite of passage for a boy....

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Re: BB gun for 3 year old ? [Re: DSST_Construction] #8475970 12/15/21 01:02 AM
L
Longhorn74 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
L
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

We started my grandson at five with a daisy BB gun. By time he is 7 in the pics he’s learning on a Henry 22.
BTW that’s Tim from the 587 ranch working with him. Tim’s very patient and help teach my grandson all the safety measures.

Re: BB gun for 3 year old ? [Re: DSST_Construction] #8476047 12/15/21 02:04 AM
Guy Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Toy guns better at 3. lol.

Re: BB gun for 3 year old ? [Re: DSST_Construction] #8476054 12/15/21 02:07 AM
F
freerange Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Parenting is likely the hardest job in the world so I wont tell you how to do it. For my kids 3 is way too young. My better half runs a large half day preschool and has for decades. She always tells me to just let "kids" play and have fun. Most parents try to put too much on their young kids. Besides any safety issues with a BB gun at 3, it just seems like too much to understand in regard to what a gun is and can do. Emotionally, mentally, it just seems like too much to put on a child that young.
Please dont take this as Im pushing anything on anyone. Its just advise and can be taken or not just like if I suggested Toyota over Chevy.

At some point in life its time to quit chasing the pot of gold and just enjoy the rainbow. FR
Keep your gratitude higher than your expectations. RWH
Re: BB gun for 3 year old ? [Re: DSST_Construction] #8476113 12/15/21 02:48 AM
skinnerback Online Content
THF Celebrity Chef
Online Content
THF Celebrity Chef
All 4 of my kids started with a Red Rider at 4 or 5 yrs old, spent a whole lot of time out there in the yard with them popping cans. Cans are the best target IMO. Start em' young and teach them right. up

Same goes for fishing, start them young in the yard learning how to cast and tie knots. Then to the harbor for perch, then it's time to get after it.

Re: BB gun for 3 year old ? [Re: bigjoe8565] #8476118 12/15/21 02:56 AM
P
Paluxy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
P
Originally Posted by bigjoe8565
Originally Posted by 2Beez

When I was a kid, I thought my Daisy pump was the coolest thing ever. I’m sure it’s due to litigation reasons, but BB guns today are not as powerful as they were when I was a kiddo.

Heck yeah, I got "arrested" in 1st grade for pinging hub caps on I-45 with my bb gun. Back when they had hubcaps.

Re: BB gun for 3 year old ? [Re: DSST_Construction] #8476167 12/15/21 03:38 AM
E
Espy Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
E
I gave my son his first bb gun on his 4th birthday. He is now grown and gave his son the same bb gun on his 3rd birthday. His son just turned 7 and is target shooting a 223 very accurately. You know your child and If you think they are ready then get them one.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide