Forums46
Topics537,695
Posts9,727,871
Members87,033
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: People you know who have left the sport [Re: Texas Dan] #8470301 12/09/21 03:10 AM
T
Texas Dan Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
T
The current (December) issue of Deer and Deer Hunting magazine includes an interesting article entitled "50 Reasons Adults Quit Deer Hunting." It's based on hundreds of responses the author received after polling that many past and current deer hunters.

No surprise that a lack of funds was one of the most common reasons. IMHO, it's a problem what just increases costs for others. Such is the case when those on the supply side recognize the sky can be the price limit for those who refuse to fold and throw in their cards.

Last edited by Texas Dan; 12/09/21 03:28 AM.

"Some people will never like you because your spirit irritates their demons."
Re: People you know who have left the sport [Re: Texas Dan] #8470304 12/09/21 03:15 AM
W
Wilhunt Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
W
When I see the excitement my son and 2 grandsons have about going to the deer lease, I don't believe I could ever get away from hunting. Hunting and all the preparation involved is enjoyed by all of us. Sometimes their excitement is so great I have to ask myself how did I instill that passion in them. Maybe either you have it or you don't.

Re: People you know who have left the sport [Re: Texas Dan] #8470318 12/09/21 03:39 AM
Ol Thumper Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
I’m getting closer every year, if it was left up to me right now we would have already sold out and moved to Florida full time.

Re: People you know who have left the sport [Re: Texas Dan] #8470726 12/09/21 05:11 PM
T
Texas Dan Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
T
In addition to the cost of hunting becoming too high, the article I mentioned earlier noted three separate but closely related reasons that in my opinion, work together to take the fun out of hunting.

#25 - Possessiveness over free-range deer

#26 - Too many deer "need another year"

#27 - Inches over memories

#28 - Bullying amongst hunters

Yes, now we have game cameras for taking photos of that buck we've given a name and considered "our buck" after all the photos we have of him eating at our feeder for the past six months.

Nowadays, you would be hard pressed to find a lease where any legal buck would be considered a trophy.

We've invented the term "cull buck" to use when taking a buck that we feel won't impress others.

Simply put, you ain't chit if you aren't a member of some Deer Management organization that touts their way as the best way to raise deer. And God forbid should you describe it as raising deer as if they were livestock.

Last edited by Texas Dan; 12/09/21 05:18 PM.

Re: People you know who have left the sport [Re: Texas Dan] #8470735 12/09/21 05:24 PM
W
Wilhunt Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
W
Dan, why look for fault in regard to deer hunting?

Re: People you know who have left the sport [Re: Wilhunt] #8470742 12/09/21 05:33 PM
T
Texas Dan Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by Wilhunt
Dan, why look for fault in regard to deer hunting?

Like the author who wrote the magazine article, it's an effort to identify those things that threaten the future of the sport by encouraging people to do something else with their free time. The end result is fewer people to defend the privilege once the non-hunting majority and anti-hunters decide it's time to add hunting to the "Cancel Culture" movement and all its future equivalents.

Last edited by Texas Dan; 12/09/21 05:59 PM.

Re: People you know who have left the sport [Re: Texas Dan] #8470767 12/09/21 06:06 PM
S
Smokey Bear Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
S
Originally Posted by Texas Dan
In addition to the cost of hunting becoming too high, the article I mentioned earlier noted three separate but closely related reasons that in my opinion, work together to take the fun out of hunting.

#25 - Possessiveness over free-range deer

#26 - Too many deer "need another year"

#27 - Inches over memories

#28 - Bullying amongst hunters

Yes, now we have game cameras for taking photos of that buck we've given a name and considered "our buck" after all the photos we have of him eating at our feeder for the past six months.

Nowadays, you would be hard pressed to find a lease where any legal buck would be considered a trophy.

We've invented the term "cull buck" to use when taking a buck that we feel won't impress others.

Simply put, you ain't chit if you aren't a member of some Deer Management organization that touts their way as the best way to raise deer. And God forbid should you describe it as raising deer as if they were livestock.

The issue of some referring to free range deer as my deer is real where I hunt. I trophy hunt. We don’t shoot the high end bucks till age 7. Cameras and feeding stations work well to inventory what is there. We watch the good ones grow for years and they often have a few preferred feeding stations where they regularly eat. Some of the members on more than one occasion have developed a false sense of ownership in regard to deer that have frequently ate at their killing stations. Some have also got their feelings hurt when one of their deer is tagged by another hunter. Regardless of whether you have a free range deer baited to your area, it is not your animal until you kill and tag it. Prior to that they all belong to the state of Texas. Deer hunting brings out the best in some and the worst in others…

Smokey Bear---Lone Star State.
Re: People you know who have left the sport [Re: Texas Dan] #8470815 12/09/21 07:04 PM
C
colt45-90 Offline
Texas colt45
Texas colt45
C
from the time I could hold a .22, I was out hunting, my brother on the other hand did not and didn't play any sports, I did baseball, foot ball, tennis, tried basket ball, but growing up on a ranch, and a 2 room country grade school, was much cement around to dribble on.

hold on Newt, we got a runaway
Re: People you know who have left the sport [Re: Texas Dan] #8470837 12/09/21 07:26 PM
C
Capt.JVH Offline
Tracker
Tracker
C
Sadly, I feel as if I have reached this point in regard to deer hunting. I am finally at a point where I have the money to do it, I own a piece of property that has good deer on it, and I am losing the love, or least that is how it feels at the moment. I always told myself I would stop if I quit getting that lightning bolt when I knew I was going to seal the deal on a deer. Well, it happened to me this year during bow season. Last year I fulfilled a very long-standing goal. I shot a really nice deer with my bow; on property I own. Perfect heart shot, dead within 30 yards. He taped at 152 and some change. I was over the moon but now I feel rather flat affect when it comes to deer. Whitetails at least.
This bow season I had a nice respectable 12 point at 15 yards. I felt nothing, no jolt, no excitement. Then I felt heartbroken because I didn't understand it. I let him walk and I went back to my cabin and had a cup of coffee and to pick apart what had happened. My daughter enjoys hunting deer. I am still hunting with her this season, but I don't plan on shooting anything for the foreseeable future. I'll keep feeding, keep working the property to make them happy. But as far as hunting I'm done for a while. Maybe it is just a funk. I shot a blacktail in Alaska this November with my buddies and that was a blast. But more so for the experience rather than the deer. I don't get it. Anyway, there is a lot of psychology that goes with hunting, and I think it is going to take me some time to really dig into my own and see what is making it tick, or in my case, not tick.

I am enjoying this thread; it is helping me to see other people's point of view on the subject.

Re: People you know who have left the sport [Re: Texas Dan] #8470864 12/09/21 07:55 PM
Z
zornhunter Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
Z
I have been hunting since i could hold granddaddys 20 gauge, about 34 yrs now. It is definetly a lifestyle. I have 2 sons who enjoy shooting both gun and bow but only the oldest wants to shoot something. We have been on several leases in the past. Each lease had drama and guidelines for shooting a deer that we followed religiously. My oldest was pretty young, maybe 8, i let him shoot a fat spike. Got back to camp and the lease manager gave us crap about shooting a spike. Guidelines were don't shoot yearling spikes and this thing was pushing 3yr old. I took issue with this. The following weekend i went back to the lease and packed my stuff up and never went back. This kind of behavior towards a young hunter who was very proud of his deer was uncalled for.
This and the price to shoot a couple of deer has really soured me on ever getting back on a lease. I have looked but numerous ones i have inquired about say up front, "No Kids first 2 weeks of deer season". Well why not? My boys go with me whether we are hunting or not. IMO Family leases are becoming a thing of the past, trophy hunting only and its very sad.

Re: People you know who have left the sport [Re: Texas Dan] #8470865 12/09/21 07:57 PM
Creekrunner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Several stories of deer "experts" on some lease ruining things for a person. 'Can't stand 'em. realmad

...and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. Gen. 1:28
Re: People you know who have left the sport [Re: zornhunter] #8471122 12/10/21 12:34 AM
E
ErnestTBass Offline
Tracker
Tracker
E
Originally Posted by zornhunter
"No Kids first 2 weeks of deer season". Well why not? My boys go with me whether we are hunting or not. IMO Family leases are becoming a thing of the past, trophy hunting only and its very sad.

That's just crazy to me. I'm far more interested in putting my kid on a good deer than I am shooting one myself. In fact, helping my kid get a good deer is a bigger accomplishment and an investment in a long term hunting buddy. What kind of jerk bogarts the opportunities for himself instead of his kids? Maybe someone who's never shot a good deer yet? I guess I might understand that.

Re: People you know who have left the sport [Re: ErnestTBass] #8471296 12/10/21 03:19 AM
T
Texas Dan Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by ErnestTBass
"No Kids first 2 weeks of deer season". Well why not? My boys go with me whether we are hunting or not. IMO Family leases are becoming a thing of the past, trophy hunting only and its very sad.

That's just crazy to me. I'm far more interested in putting my kid on a good deer than I am shooting one myself. In fact, helping my kid get a good deer is a bigger accomplishment and an investment in a long term hunting buddy. What kind of jerk bogarts the opportunities for himself instead of his kids? Maybe someone who's never shot a good deer yet? I guess I might understand that.

I'm definitely a supporter of family hunting. However, I have to wonder how many kids who are put on well-fed trophy buck as young teenagers (if not before), will still be eager to hunt many years down the road. It's these later years when a lack of time, career needs, and interest in other hobbies can make people decide that monster they killed as a teenager was enough.

Last edited by Texas Dan; 12/10/21 03:47 AM.

Re: People you know who have left the sport [Re: Texas Dan] #8471679 12/10/21 04:51 PM
T
txtrophy85 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T

I'm definitely a supporter of family hunting. However, I have to wonder how many kids who are put on well-fed trophy buck as young teenagers (if not before), will still be eager to hunt many years down the road. It's these later years when a lack of time, career needs, and interest in other hobbies can make people decide that monster they killed as a teenager was enough.

Killing 1 good deer is not the end all be all to a hunting career. Lots of other animals to shoot besides whitetail deer.

If that’s all it takes to make them stop hunting then they were never that into it to begin with

For it is not the quarry that we truly seek, but the adventure.
Re: People you know who have left the sport [Re: Capt.JVH] #8471692 12/10/21 05:00 PM
T
txtrophy85 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by Capt.JVH
Sadly, I feel as if I have reached this point in regard to deer hunting. I am finally at a point where I have the money to do it, I own a piece of property that has good deer on it, and I am losing the love, or least that is how it feels at the moment. I always told myself I would stop if I quit getting that lightning bolt when I knew I was going to seal the deal on a deer. Well, it happened to me this year during bow season. Last year I fulfilled a very long-standing goal. I shot a really nice deer with my bow; on property I own. Perfect heart shot, dead within 30 yards. He taped at 152 and some change. I was over the moon but now I feel rather flat affect when it comes to deer. Whitetails at least.
This bow season I had a nice respectable 12 point at 15 yards. I felt nothing, no jolt, no excitement. Then I felt heartbroken because I didn't understand it. I let him walk and I went back to my cabin and had a cup of coffee and to pick apart what had happened. My daughter enjoys hunting deer. I am still hunting with her this season, but I don't plan on shooting anything for the foreseeable future. I'll keep feeding, keep working the property to make them happy. But as far as hunting I'm done for a while. Maybe it is just a funk. I shot a blacktail in Alaska this November with my buddies and that was a blast. But more so for the experience rather than the deer. I don't get it. Anyway, there is a lot of psychology that goes with hunting, and I think it is going to take me some time to really dig into my own and see what is making it tick, or in my case, not tick.

I am enjoying this thread; it is helping me to see other people's point of view on the subject.

What you feel is completely normal. Some animals you will get real jacked up about others you will be just meh.

I deal with that feeling more and more often nowadays. Combination of being able to hunt whenever I want, the number and type of animals I’ve shot have all contributed to this.

I’ve shot large animals and it not be that much if a big deal to me. Then I’ve shot big animals and I felt like I just won the super bowl. I’ve gotten jacked up about shooting small animals.

Stop putting the expectation on yourself that every kill has to be a monster adrenaline dump and a earth shattering experience

Re: People you know who have left the sport [Re: Texas Dan] #8471762 12/10/21 06:25 PM
C
Capt.JVH Offline
Tracker
Tracker
C
I here ya, I re read my post this morning and admit I sounded pretty morose. I agree with you completly with what you are saying. I really think it is a slump brought on by many things. I'll never hang it up and walk away. I've been hunting since I was 8. It is a huge part of the fabric of my family. For now, I'm just finding joy in caring for the wildlife rather than hunting. I know I'm not going soft; I am just looking at it from a different angle. As for the adrenaline dump, I appreciate that comment. Expecation is the right word to describe my thoughts on it. Honestly, I feel spoiled to be able to even think like this.
When I was younger, I had to beg and borrow and barter for places to hunt. 20-year-old me would slap 41-year-old me for passing on deer!

Re: People you know who have left the sport [Re: Capt.JVH] #8471779 12/10/21 06:55 PM
T
txtrophy85 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by Capt.JVH
I here ya, I re read my post this morning and admit I sounded pretty morose. I agree with you completly with what you are saying. I really think it is a slump brought on by many things. I'll never hang it up and walk away. I've been hunting since I was 8. It is a huge part of the fabric of my family. For now, I'm just finding joy in caring for the wildlife rather than hunting. I know I'm not going soft; I am just looking at it from a different angle. As for the adrenaline dump, I appreciate that comment. Expecation is the right word to describe my thoughts on it. Honestly, I feel spoiled to be able to even think like this.
When I was younger, I had to beg and borrow and barter for places to hunt. 20-year-old me would slap 41-year-old me for passing on deer!

I'm pretty much in the same boat....at 20 years old I had all the passion in the world but none of the resources. I would have killed to have 1/2 the opportunities my kids have to hunt and fish.

After selling land for the last 13 years, I've noticed its extremely common for the owners to derive their pleasure from the stewardship of the land rather than what it produces in terms of deer. I know very few ranch owners who actually hunt in earnest on their own property for anything other than does/culls.

I shot a deer on my place last year with my bow on the last day of the season. Thought it was something " I was supposed to do" ; killing a nice mature deer on my own land. In all honestly it brought me very little joy. It was a good hunt and I was pumped up about the shot and subsequent track job but when it was all said and done, the feeling afterword wasn't what I expected it to be. I'm not sorry I did it, but it didn't fill me with any kind of great pride or accomplishment. What I am grateful for is the opportunity to enjoy a property that i can call my own and the ability I have to take game off of it if I choose to do so.

Re: People you know who have left the sport [Re: ErnestTBass] #8471786 12/10/21 07:04 PM
T
txtrophy85 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T

Two sides of the coin here......Guy who spends his entire year going to baseball games, ballet practices, cheer competitions; may just want a little time to himself. Guy who has recently acquired the funds to be able to afford a lease and is looking forward hard hunting/letting his hair down may feel put out by another member showing up with his kids in tow and catering to them the entire trip.

I've been a member of a lease where opening weekend was a kid free weekend and other leases where kids were allowed and encouraged anytime.

I have 3 kids and I love the time i spend in the woods with them, that said, there are times/trips where its adults only, and they understand that. That being said, they are not hurting for opportunities to hunt at all and they turn down more trips than I ever got to go on at their age.

Re: People you know who have left the sport [Re: txtrophy85] #8471826 12/10/21 07:44 PM
T
Texas Dan Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by txtrophy85
Killing 1 good deer is not the end all be all to a hunting career. Lots of other animals to shoot besides whitetail deer.

If that’s all it takes to make them stop hunting then they were never that into it to begin with

That leaves the question if a kid is more likely to continue hunting well into their adult years if their early days are easy or made more challenging? There has no doubt been many a football coach who has taken the approach of using greater challenges to see which kids really want to play football.

I once knew a football coach, who after taking over a team with a very poor record, told them he thought the only reason why they played football was because their dad and girl friend wanted them to.

Last edited by Texas Dan; 12/10/21 07:53 PM.

Re: People you know who have left the sport [Re: Texas Dan] #8471864 12/10/21 08:27 PM
T
txtrophy85 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T

That leaves the question if a kid is more likely to continue hunting well into their adult years if their early days are easy or made more challenging? There has no doubt been many a football coach who has taken the approach of using greater challenges to see which kids really want to play football.

I once knew a football coach, who after taking over a team with a very poor record, told them he thought the only reason why they played football was because their dad and girl friend wanted them to.

Is there an appropriate age on where a person can kill a trophy buck? I didn’t know that hunting was that legalistic.

If you take a kid fishing and he hooks a 10 lb bass do you cut the line?

I am failing to see how killing a nice buck is a recipe for folks quitting hunting ? By that logic I should have quit when I was 26

Re: People you know who have left the sport [Re: Texas Dan] #8471869 12/10/21 08:32 PM
Creekrunner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity

And how did the team respond to this cheery fellow?

When I was an assistant band director, I got the kids that were just taking band to get out of PE. That was an inspiring bunch, let me tell you.

...and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. Gen. 1:28
Re: People you know who have left the sport [Re: Creekrunner] #8471874 12/10/21 08:42 PM
T
txtrophy85 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by Creekrunner

When I was an assistant band director, I got the kids that were just taking band to get out of PE. That was an inspiring bunch, let me tell you.

I took JROTC to get out of PE.

Re: People you know who have left the sport [Re: txtrophy85] #8471883 12/10/21 08:55 PM
Creekrunner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by Creekrunner

I took JROTC to get out of PE.

No slight intended. Let's just say these kids weren't the least bit worried about not having practiced. Anything. Ever. grin

Re: People you know who have left the sport [Re: Texas Dan] #8471890 12/10/21 09:05 PM
T
txtrophy85 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
No slight taken. I thought it was a jab at how bad public school PE sucked

Re: People you know who have left the sport [Re: txtrophy85] #8471896 12/10/21 09:15 PM
Creekrunner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
No slight taken. I thought it was a jab at how bad public school PE sucked

I can't remember what happened between me and a girl in elementary school. (Helen. She supposedly was taken to see me the first few days after I was born. And, she still checks in on me to this day. 'Never anything remotely close to attraction, she kinda looks like a man now, but we've known each other a loooong time.) Anywho, the PE coach witnessed whatever I apparently was doing wrong and lifted me off the ground by my hair. They don't make coaches like that anymore. grin

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide