Print Thread
Opinions on “jump shooting” public land? #8469720 12/08/21 03:51 PM
D
Danny_DeerVito Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
D
This is my first year trying duck hunting.
I have public land near my house, based around a lake/creek, but includes a mix of very thick woods, a few tall grass fields, and the occasional isolated water hole from when the creek has flooded in past years.
I don’t have any sort of water vessel to hunt the main water or large creek, so I was considering hiking through the property in an attempt to hit as many water spots as possible, hoping to find maybe a few birds.

Is this considered an unethical way to duck hunt public property or is it more common than I think?

Re: Opinions on “jump shooting” public land? [Re: Danny_DeerVito] #8469726 12/08/21 03:56 PM
D
ducknbass Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
I’d not do it at sun up. Maybe 10 on. Really it’s public. Just be safe and don’t shoot someone’s decoys. I wouldn’t like it but reality is it’s public.

Re: Opinions on “jump shooting” public land? [Re: Danny_DeerVito] #8469739 12/08/21 04:02 PM
R
rickym Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
R
Not as common here as it is elsewhere, but I agree with ducknbass, I wouldn’t be stomping through at first light. Set up on a waterhole and hunt it for awhile before walking. Or set up in an open area so you can get a good view of the sky and just watch where birds are going.

Re: Opinions on “jump shooting” public land? [Re: Danny_DeerVito] #8469820 12/08/21 05:31 PM
Guy Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
It’s pretty hard to jump ducks on public, more than likely they will fly off before you get in range. Jumping ducks is more associate with sneaking over a tank dam.

Re: Opinions on “jump shooting” public land? [Re: Danny_DeerVito] #8469848 12/08/21 05:58 PM
Guy Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
I’ll say this too about jumping ducks. If you see a few ducks, ok jump them. If you see 50 or 100 ducks, if you jump them you will be lucky to get 2, in the process you scared all those ducks off, probably will not come back. If you set up the next morning before they get there, you should be able shoot your limit. And if you shoot the first 6 ducks that come in, and get out of there, and the ducks settle back in, you could shoot your limit several days in a row.

Re: Opinions on “jump shooting” public land? [Re: Danny_DeerVito] #8469858 12/08/21 06:06 PM
Guy Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
It reminds me of a time I scouted a public walkin spot one afternoon, found lots of ducks. I get back to the access parking lot, and I’m pretty excited thinking about the good hunt I’m gonna have in the morning. About that time another truck pulls in. He hops out of the truck with his shotgun. I’m giving him the evil eye, he looks at me and says “I’m just gonna look around”. It’s about a 10 minute walk to the duck hole so I just sit and wait, and sure enough I hear him start blasting away.
hammer

Re: Opinions on “jump shooting” public land? [Re: Danny_DeerVito] #8469932 12/08/21 07:18 PM
C
Cochise Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
C
I would double check the rules for the public land that you're hunting. There is at least one WMA that I know of that doesn't allow you to hunt the ponds on the WMA lands - you're restricted to what is considered the "lake" - written as the "existing water's edge." That is how I interpret it at least. I've never bothered looking into it further because I've never seen many birds on them while scouting or bow hunting.

The other places - WMA and corp lands - allow hunting on those small ponds/waterholes - but as others have said - best to probably wait until later in the morning because there very well may be people hunting those little potholes. At times they hold good numbers of birds - especially if the main lake is getting a bunch of pressure or the wind is blowing birds off the lake and/or if there is a good food source.

Re: Opinions on “jump shooting” public land? [Re: Danny_DeerVito] #8469939 12/08/21 07:27 PM
S
Smokey Bear Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
When I was a kid, jump shooting tanks was a thing. It is how many duck hunters started out. Me included. Serious duck hunters view it and pass shooting as something reserved for pot lickers. You can kill birds jump shooting but you won’t make many friends.

Smokey Bear---Lone Star State.
Re: Opinions on “jump shooting” public land? [Re: Danny_DeerVito] #8469968 12/08/21 08:10 PM
G
goosebuster Offline
Tracker
Tracker
G
Did that mostly on tanks growing up, but don't think I would partake these days. I view it as ground raking geese, legal, but not highly regarded.

Re: Opinions on “jump shooting” public land? [Re: Danny_DeerVito] #8469978 12/08/21 08:31 PM
Sniper John Offline
gumshoe
gumshoe
Depends on the location. When I do combination hunts in Kansas, I research the WIHAs in advance and include several units with small lakes, ponds, and live creeks to jump ducks while walking up pheasants. I almost always pick up a bonus limit of ducks every day even if I don't limit on pheasants. But realize too I never see duck hunters on those places.

There are at least three large public land areas I hunt, one in TX and two in OK, that have several small water areas I have discovered over the years that hold the occasional duck or three. I have done a run and gun jump shoot circuit from time to time on at least a couple of those areas for at least 30 years and even have old top maps with my circuits marked on them. I never see decoy duck hunters on those circuits but I do have to pay attention to deer hunting dates to try not to conflict with those hunters. Back when I had my dog Blaze, I even trained her to crawl next to me when crossing over a tank dam or creek banks on those hunts.

So yea, If you can find those small water holes that are either too small or not consistently attracting ducks enough to be utilized by the decoy hunters, have at it. Some of the most fun, most exciting, most memorable hunts I have had were run and gun hunts. Despite what the so called purists say, it is just as traditional as any other kind of hunting. Like sculling a canoe up a creek jumping ducks, It is just a different kind of hunting compared to decoy hunting. An apple to an orange. But like others have said, with most of this DFW public lake type hunting it is going to be nearly impossible to run and gun without conflicting with decoy hunters and besides it will be much more productive for you hunting over decoys on those lakes anyway. So again it really depends on the location. If it is an area at or near where there are decoy hunters every morning, they are not going to be happy with you there.

Re: Opinions on “jump shooting” public land? [Re: Guy] #8469995 12/08/21 08:58 PM
B
Biscuit Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
B
Originally Posted by Guy
It’s pretty hard to jump ducks on public, more than likely they will fly off before you get in range. Jumping ducks is more associate with sneaking over a tank dam.

I agree, they will jump quickly

Re: Opinions on “jump shooting” public land? [Re: Danny_DeerVito] #8470290 12/09/21 02:51 AM
D
duckiller Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
D
Jump shooting creeks can be very productive. Especially for wood ducks in north and north east texas. Find a good size creek with banks steep enough to hide your approach, and you will be able to walk right up on top of wood ducks. It’s pretty sporty shooting. I do this a couple times a year on days when I deer hunt in the mornings. It’s actually pretty enjoyable. Typically it’s a wood duck thing, but at times you can shoot mallards doing this.

Back off the creek 100 yards or so creep up to each bend. Typically you either jump them right in the bends or log jams. Good luck.

Re: Opinions on “jump shooting” public land? [Re: Danny_DeerVito] #8470511 12/09/21 01:46 PM
G
goosebuster Offline
Tracker
Tracker
G
When I did do a jump shoot or 2, I used my ears as much as my eyes. Usually you can hear bird chatter on the water and prepare yourself for the jump.

Re: Opinions on “jump shooting” public land? [Re: Guy] #8471577 12/10/21 03:09 PM
B
BDB Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B
Originally Posted by Guy

This reminds me of a job I did up near Stillwater Ok back in the 90's. I took my best friend who needed work up there to install a metal roof, just the 2 of us. Farmer let us stay in a dumpy but cozy single wide while we roofed his main house. He gave us a single shot shotgun and box of shells and said we could shoot some ducks on the tank. We'd be up there working and one of us would see some birds lite on the tank. All giddy like a kid one of us would sneak down the ladder, grab the gun and go water squat a duck or 2. We'd have 4 birds by the end of each day. Stop by the neighbors place and pick some turnips after the work day ended, farmer had canned vegetables in the trailer.

Ate cheap all week but I do recall having to make gravy to eat with the duck as I'm sure I overcooked the hell out of them lol.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide