Drew Nannie Stringfellow #8465486 12/03/21 04:53 PM
A
AdanV Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
A
Good morning.
It’s been a long time being here and I forget how many are more helpful here than on social media.

I got drawn for Nannie Stringfellow next week.
(Hogs and Does, rifle only)

I’m wondering if anyone has been there and if they can give advice.
We’re hunting out of enclosed blinds.

ATVs are highly recommended but I don’t have one so I’m bringing my game cart. Hunt master told me that’s fine. If I shoot something, I can cart it to the main trail, where they’ll pick it up on their ATV.

I’m bringing 2 bags of corn too along with thermacell and off spray (if thermacell is not enough)

I’ll be tent camping at Brazos Bend SP (primitive camping)

God Bless Texas
texas

Arsenal:
Savage Axis II - 30-06
Stoeger P350 - 12 Gauge
Diamond Edge SB-1 - Compound Bow
Re: Drew Nannie Stringfellow [Re: AdanV] #8465558 12/03/21 05:55 PM
W
WileyCoyote Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
W
Congrats on getting drawn. Keep us posted of your progress. Ought to be some harvestable critters down there.
Ron

It is TIME for Term Limits, cause Politicians are like childrens diapers and for the same reasons...Robin Williams

"These are the times that try men's soul's"...Thomas Paine

"Those who fail to learn from History are doomed to repeat it" ....Santayana
Re: Drew Nannie Stringfellow [Re: WileyCoyote] #8465597 12/03/21 07:00 PM
A
AdanV Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
A
Thanks.
It’s my 2nd draw hunt since I started registering a few years ago.
1st one was at Bastrop. Had a small doe and I had tons of fun other than being ill prepared for the nights (very cold and noisy due the highway)

I’ll post a report.

God Bless Texas
texas

Arsenal:
Savage Axis II - 30-06
Stoeger P350 - 12 Gauge
Re: Drew Nannie Stringfellow [Re: AdanV] #8472489 12/11/21 05:28 PM
A
AdanV Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
A
Well, I'm back.
Overall I had a good time, because I got to hunt.

Tuesday:
During morning registering and orientation, the Hunt Master put me on Stand 7 because I didn't have an ATV.
I believe of the 20 hunters there me and 3 others didn't have ATVs. Stand 7 is not my ideal spot because its at the outer edge, 200 yards away from the road, mostly pasture with a waterfowl pond in the middle. I prefer being deep in the woods. I told him I don't mind walking a distance (I do at least 3 miles whenever I go hunting), the Hunt Master has the final say-so so I gotta respect that.

After orientation, we were given the option of going in to hunt right away, or waiting until the official afternoon session (3:00 PM).

I chose to hunt right away. Upon driving in and getting out of my truck, there's a a lot of hog rooting and tracks.
After unloading my gear, I realized I forgot to load up the deer corn on my truck and still sitting in my garage. I was disappointed in myself, but decided to hunt anyways.

Getting to the stand was no more than a 10 min walk, so I was getting very skeptical about the trip. But I have to thank God for any opportunity that is given to me, even if the opportunity is not what I was hoping for. As I walked around, I would check for tracks and other signs to mark so I can be sure to watch them for any deer or hogs walking in.

The stand itself is pretty much square steel tubing with plywood. I was told they're at least 10 years old, so they creak if you moved around inside the stand.
The chairs are folding steel chairs, so they can get uncomfortable pretty quick. I had to get up every hour to get relief on my back and butt. If you come onto this hunt, you should bring a butt pad or thick blanket for a cushion.

I was finally setup at around 1 PM. At about 3:30, I heard a light snap on my left. I cup my ears quickly, and hear some commotion. Immediately then, I had 2 hogs come out of the bush and started rooting where I marked. I slowly bring up my rifle and aim at the 2nd hog since it presented a broadside opportunity. I fired off, and they both ran. After 15 mins, I call the hunt master to inform I shot a hog and if I can go recover it to field dress immediately (its 70 degrees). The hunt master informed I can only go if its very close to my stand. I then went to check were I shot the hog, and there's a puddle of blood. There was a good blood trail leading through the bush that lasted about 20 yards until I found the hog.

I was still well within my area, was very happy, and gave my prayer of thanks. The hog was a perfect eating size (less than 120 lbs), and I dragged it out onto the clearing to field dress. After dressing, it was about 4:30. No one is allowed to leave until shooting hours are over (6 PM). So I sat by until shooting hours were over and dragged my kill back to the truck.

Arriving back at the WMA center, I went ahead and started skinning and quartering the hog. 2 other hunters brought hogs in but nobody brought deer. Many complemented the hog I brought in and all said it was a perfect eating size.

The hunt master said its the first year ever that no one brought a deer.

Wednesday:
Coming in at 4:45 am, I walk in as quiet as possible and get settled it by 5:15. Shooting hours started at 6:30, but its still very dark due to the cloudy day. The morning was uneventful, but I was astonished to hear a Bald Eagle's call. I pulled out the binocs and saw 2 of them perching on a tree on the other side of the pasture.

Mid-day and evening was the same. I didn't hear or see any wildlife.
However, I did here a total of 4 shots from 3 to 5 PM.
After shooting hours were over, I went back to the WMA center to checkout and see if what the other hunters got. It was 3 does and 1 spike. The spike had a deformity. 1 was normal, but the other was growing sideways. Wish I took a photo.

Thursday:
On the last day (morning only), I was the first to arrive. It looks like many would not show up. The hunt master told me that someone left a half bag of corn behind, so I took to lay on the spot where I shot the hog on Tuesday.
I was setup by 5:20. However, it looks like it was again uneventful. We're supposed to be gone by 12 PM, so I decided to call it and go back in at 10 AM.

Overall, I had a great time because I got to hunt and wont go home empty handed.

God Bless Texas
texas

Arsenal:
Savage Axis II - 30-06
Stoeger P350 - 12 Gauge
Re: Drew Nannie Stringfellow [Re: AdanV] #8472588 12/11/21 08:40 PM
B
Biscuit Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
B
Sounds like a great time , congrats sir a d thanks for the write up

Re: Drew Nannie Stringfellow [Re: AdanV] #8472633 12/11/21 09:45 PM
E
Erny Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
E
Thanks for the write up. Sounds like you had a good time.

Re: Drew Nannie Stringfellow [Re: AdanV] #8472635 12/11/21 09:45 PM
Sniper John Online Happy
gumshoe
Online Happy
gumshoe
Thanks for the great write up and congrats on the hog.

Re: Drew Nannie Stringfellow [Re: AdanV] #8473551 12/12/21 05:38 PM
R
Ringtail Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
R
Congrats on the hog! Always good to come away with some fresh meat!

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide