Very cool

Re: Arrowhead Find [Re: FamousAmos] #8453079 11/19/21 03:36 AM
F
flintknapper Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F
That's nice long Flake Scar. Good material.

[Linked Image]

Spartans ask not...how many, but where!
Re: Arrowhead Find [Re: FamousAmos] #8453138 11/19/21 05:11 AM
R
RevolverFan Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
R
Never seen anything like that very cool

Re: Arrowhead Find [Re: FamousAmos] #8453152 11/19/21 05:39 AM
N
NORML as can be Online Content
^^Cut the Cord^^
Online Content
^^Cut the Cord^^
N
That's cool!

(R-TX) .-- " TCNN CURL CRLB VFF VRNO AYR SNDL CGC TLRY MSOS "

_=====___=________==-

Re: Arrowhead Find [Re: FamousAmos] #8454844 11/20/21 11:53 PM
C
colt45-90 Offline
Texas colt45
Texas colt45
C
be a job to do a lot of drilling

hold on Newt, we got a runaway
Re: Arrowhead Find [Re: colt45-90] #8454881 11/21/21 01:12 AM
F
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Originally Posted by colt45
be a job to do a lot of drilling

Leather, Soft Woods and certain other materials wouldn't be too bad (by standards of the day).

Hardwoods, dry bone, etc.....yes, would take awhile.

But with exception of certain times of the year, I suspect they weren't too pressed for time anyway....and the task was likely given to the women to do.

And in most cases....if you want something done right, get the women to do it.

Re: Arrowhead Find [Re: FamousAmos] #8456784 11/23/21 03:19 AM
J
JDH875 Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
J
Dang, that’s pretty cool

Re: Arrowhead Find [Re: FamousAmos] #8460172 11/27/21 04:46 PM
J
jphunts6165 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
J
[img [Linked Image]

Found at least last trip.

Re: Arrowhead Find [Re: jphunts6165] #8460240 11/27/21 07:09 PM
F
FamousAmos Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
F
That's a great find!

“And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly, to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.”
‭‭Micah‬ ‭6:8‬
Re: Arrowhead Find [Re: FamousAmos] #8460330 11/27/21 09:05 PM
RedSnake Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
Very cool

Re: Arrowhead Find [Re: FamousAmos] #8460473 11/28/21 01:01 AM
C
cos Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
C
Time to start exploring that area. When hunting is slow i usually get out of stand early just to look for arrowheads. Got an old campsite on my place. Have spent many hour there. Turns into work.

Re: Arrowhead Find [Re: cos] #8460493 11/28/21 01:32 AM
Creekrunner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by cos
When hunting is slow i usually get out of stand early just to look for arrowheads. Got an old campsite on my place. Have spent many hour there. Turns into work.

I need to start doing this. 'Found a piece that'd obviously been worked, right when I got out of the buggy to go to the blind this afternoon. (Alongside a creek.) I've yet to find something with notches on the back end on this place. Their spirits mock me.

...and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. Gen. 1:28
Re: Arrowhead Find [Re: FamousAmos] #8460550 11/28/21 02:42 AM
R
Ringtail Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
R
When I'm at our place hunting in East Texas I always look for arrowheads on our small hill on the 34 acres we own. I mostly dig by hand or scrape the topsoil with my tractor bucket. Over the last 2.5 years I have found all these whole points, worked tools, broken points etc. Many very crudely made and were used as blades, atlatl dart points or the smallest as regular arrow points.

What fascinates me is that on this one small hill or rise really, within about 70 to 100 yards from one of the two creeks we have, I have found points dating from a transitional paleo Golondrino base that are between 7000 to 9000 years before present time and a San Patrice point that is 8000 to 10000 years BP in the same place as Gary points, Neches points all around 2000 to 3000 BP, an Early triangular, around 4000 to 6500 BP and real arrowheads, small Steiners and Frileys which can only be from 400 to 1300 years old, since the bow was not used in Texas until about 700 or 800 A.D.

I have found a mano used to grind food and a couple of abrading stones. I have found numerous burnt stones that they used as we would use charcoal. In the smaller wet weather creek as well as on my hill I have found pottery shards and pieces, some with lines or designs. I have also found one broke in my food plot hundreds of yards away, one in the creek and one on the county road in front of my driveway. My neighbor has found dozens after they grade the road or when it has flooded.

For a long time, I wondered why this little hill was so popular for seasonal camps over thousands of years but I may have found the answer. This was just a slightly higher, open spot near a medium size creek but the real key is that there was supposed to have been a spring on the property line area that was noted in a book I heard about that tells where many of the natural springs (hundreds of them) in Texas were since Spanish times. I found the book on Amazon but it has been out of print for decades and the two I saw were listed at 550 dollars and 600 dollars, so I passed on that. A landowner in the 1990's for some reason supposedly blocked up the spring with huge rocks and its source was on another landowner's property so I can't confirm that.

The poor Native Americans in our area of Houston County also had next to nothing to work with and many of the points are made of hard to work petrified wood or low-quality chert or flint. Some was obviously brought in since the most common stone is this iron oxide or rust rock as I call it that was totally unsuitable for points or tools. I guess that is why so many or very crudely made. Remember, these guys had to kill game very often with this stuff to survive. Amazes me. The row of items at the bottom of the photo are some tools and such. A few of these are large chips or chards.

[Linked Image]

Re: Arrowhead Find [Re: Ringtail] #8460625 11/28/21 04:00 AM
F
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Originally Posted by Ringtail
When I'm at our place hunting in East Texas I always look for arrowheads on our small hill on the 34 acres we own. I mostly dig by hand or scrape the topsoil with my tractor bucket. Over the last 2.5 years I have found all these whole points, worked tools, broken points etc. Many very crudely made and were used as blades, atlatl dart points or the smallest as regular arrow points.

What fascinates me is that on this one small hill or rise really, within about 70 to 100 yards from one of the two creeks we have, I have found points dating from a transitional paleo Golondrino base that are between 7000 to 9000 years before present time and a San Patrice point that is 8000 to 10000 years BP in the same place as Gary points, Neches points all around 2000 to 3000 BP, an Early triangular, around 4000 to 6500 BP and real arrowheads, small Steiners and Frileys which can only be from 400 to 1300 years old, since the bow was not used in Texas until about 700 or 800 A.D.

I have found a mano used to grind food and a couple of abrading stones. I have found numerous burnt stones that they used as we would use charcoal. In the smaller wet weather creek as well as on my hill I have found pottery shards and pieces, some with lines or designs. I have also found one broke in my food plot hundreds of yards away, one in the creek and one on the county road in front of my driveway. My neighbor has found dozens after they grade the road or when it has flooded.

For a long time, I wondered why this little hill was so popular for seasonal camps over thousands of years but I may have found the answer. This was just a slightly higher, open spot near a medium size creek but the real key is that there was supposed to have been a spring on the property line area that was noted in a book I heard about that tells where many of the natural springs (hundreds of them) in Texas were since Spanish times. I found the book on Amazon but it has been out of print for decades and the two I saw were listed at 550 dollars and 600 dollars, so I passed on that. A landowner in the 1990's for some reason supposedly blocked up the spring with huge rocks and its source was on another landowner's property so I can't confirm that.

The poor Native Americans in our area of Houston County also had next to nothing to work with and many of the points are made of hard to work petrified wood or low-quality chert or flint. Some was obviously brought in since the most common stone is this iron oxide or rust rock as I call it that was totally unsuitable for points or tools. I guess that is why so many or very crudely made. Remember, these guys had to kill game very often with this stuff to survive. Amazes me. The row of items at the bottom of the photo are some tools and such. A few of these are large chips or chards.

[Linked Image]

Yes, the vast majority of Points found in our area of East Texas are from poor quality material and frankly very crude points. The reason I don't bother looking for them here, but I was raised in Central Texas so somewhat spoiled with respect to artifact finds there.

But it IS interesting to find sites that were inhabited in some cases for thousands of years. That part always interests me. You have one 'base' that is of interest (3rd row down, 6th artifact over from the left). Possibly the base of a Golondrina (or similar point). See the upper left point in the pic below (Golondrina). I found all of these points in a single day of digging (along with many broken ones) at the headwaters of Bull Creek in Austin in the mid 70's.

[Linked Image]

As for features that made an area attractive....it is hard to know exactly what they were. Springs can be active for hundreds even thousands of years or they might dry up. Rivers, creeks and streams can change course over the years....or may remain basically the same for long periods.

Competing tribes or adversaries could have driven certain peoples out an area and supported a new group. Some of the more modern history is known....but the lives and times of those who walked these lands thousands of years ago is largely a guess. We have only the artifacts to suggest their way of life.

But one thing is certain, there were a LOT of people living in certain areas for a LONG time before us.

Re: Arrowhead Find [Re: flintknapper] #8460636 11/28/21 04:19 AM
R
Ringtail Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
R
FlintKnapper, the base you pointed out is the one I believe is a golodrina. It is better material and better workmanship and just doesn't fit in with most of the other stuff found in the same 2.5-3 foot deep, 20ft. by 20ft. hole. I'd have given anything to find the rest of that point. I found five or six more this week in about 24 five-gallon buckets of dirt I screened. That Early triangular is also interesting as well as the San Patrice because they are the only representatives from their respective eras.

It just blows my mind that all this stuff is in one relatively small area.

Last edited by Ringtail; 11/28/21 04:24 AM.
Re: Arrowhead Find [Re: Ringtail] #8460832 11/28/21 04:23 PM
F
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Originally Posted by Ringtail
FlintKnapper, the base you pointed out is the one I believe is a golodrina. It is better material and better workmanship and just doesn't fit in with most of the other stuff found in the same 2.5-3 foot deep, 20ft. by 20ft. hole. I'd have given anything to find the rest of that point. I found five or six more this week in about 24 five-gallon buckets of dirt I screened. That Early triangular is also interesting as well as the San Patrice because they are the only representatives from their respective eras.

It just blows my mind that all this stuff is in one relatively small area.

Yes, but if you consider that a particular 'site' might have been used for thousands of years by small groups of people (25-50 in a band) then it adds up.

If you were to spread out your searches.....you would undoubtedly find 'fringe' areas of artifacts as well. It is MUCH harder to decipher camp sites in East Texas than in other regions. The forested lands (present day) produce so much top soil that ancient sites are constantly being buried deeper and deeper.

In Central Texas we would find likely camp sites and begin our search by 'Pot Holing' (digging small holes about 3' deep) in various spots until we found evidence/artifacts. Eventually we would be able to map out where the center of a camp site was and its edges also.

Naturally, we would find the 'most' artifacts in the center of the camp area and also in trash middens farther away. But excellent artifacts (just fewer) could be found out at the edges....so they should never be overlooked.

Anyplace you find an abundance of 'chips/flakes' (debitage) is a good place to start. Generally, landowners are not equipped or have the inclination to do a thorough removal and screening of a site. But a backhoe and careful screening can yield so much more material/points than you ever thought existed (on a good site).

So very interesting to see the different type of artifacts in the different levels. Addicting as well.

Re: Arrowhead Find [Re: jphunts6165] #8460848 11/28/21 04:43 PM
F
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Originally Posted by jphunts6165
[img [Linked Image]

Found at least last trip.

Man....that would have been a really nice corner notched point. Nice find.

Re: Arrowhead Find [Re: FamousAmos] #8460879 11/28/21 05:25 PM
H
Hirogen Online Content
Pro Tracker
Online Content
Pro Tracker
H
Super cool stuff guys. Thanks for posting.

Never violate a woman, nor harm a child. Do not lie, cheat or steal. These things are for lesser men. Protect the weak against the evil strong. And never allow thoughts of gain to lead you into the pursuit of evil.

-The Iron Code of Druss the Legend
Re: Arrowhead Find [Re: flintknapper] #8461462 11/29/21 06:21 AM
J
jphunts6165 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
J
It surprised me the area found. But will be looking for a the point or more next trip. I have either found a nice point or a nice nice notched. Gotta put it together now.

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide